Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

With Friends Like These ... Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Greetings
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2005-08-12 17:19:38
Link to this Comment: 15886

Welcome to an on-line forum for continuation of the the conversation on resistances to non-traditional science and math education (by students and faculty both) begun at the SENCER summer institute 2005. Its an important subject, and a good foundation was laid in the short time we had together, so lets see what we can do here to build on that.

David laid out his sense of the problem and some solutions in his essay With Friends Like These. For another route to similar places, see my own This Isn't Just My Problem, Friend and Getting It Less Wrong. For some additional materials on Serendip perhaps relevant to thinking about resistances to non-traditional science and math education and how to respond to them, see Science As Story Telling in Action.

Among the things that struck me during our San Jose conversation was not so much the obvious, that we share a strong commitment to non-traditional science and math education, as that half of us have direct experiences with resistance to it and the other half suspects they will encounter resistance. What are the (multiple?) origins of such resistance? And the productive (equally multiple?) ways to meet it? Is the kind of engaged, process oriented science and math education we favor good for everyone? Whom does it put at risk and how should those risks be dealt with?

If we're really serious about our commitments, these are questions that have to be raised and faced squarely, openly, and creatively. And, ideally, together. "Education is a little about the replication (reproduction) of oneself; when it is too much of that; it is not a good thing. But if we can see friends (and students as friends) as far more than ourselves, we may be taking a step necessary to the improvement of education, and the civic condition, itself."

Looking forward to seeing what we can make, together, as friends. Among ourselves, and with and for others who may happen by and find they share our interests and concerns.

Covering the Content
Name: Terry R. M
Date: 2005-08-21 07:30:00
Link to this Comment: 15913

The most frequent comment that I get when I describe changes in my courses is that I no longer "cover the content". I take this to mean that I don't assign every page of a text book (800-1000 pages in 14 weeks!). I frequently talk with text book reps and know that introdcutory science text books are more about marketng than scientific vision. Just to kick off this forum I would like to hear other's opinion about "course content"

Terry R. McGuire
Rutgers University

Forum Archived
Name: Ann
Date: 2006-11-16 10:37:54
Link to this Comment: 21010

This forum has now been archived and is closed to new postings. If you are interested in continuing the conversation, please contact Serendip. We like to hear from you.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 10:51:57 CDT