Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Women Living Well 2005 - Group B Forum

Welcome! We live, work and study in an all-inclusive world. As undergraduate scholars your lives are not separated by activities, events or issues and you move effortlessly, balancing their intellectual life with the demands of community living and a large variety of clubs and organizations which enhance your lives and learning. The mind-body connection is a powerful one. The ability to create a physical, emotional and intellectual environment that supports ones well-being, is paramount to good health.

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Week !
Name: Amy Campbe
Date: 2005-03-17 16:43:13
Link to this Comment: 13594

What is balance. How do priorities get established and is it reasonable to think we can acheive a balanced state?

achieving balance
Name: Jackie Che
Date: 2005-03-18 22:40:54
Link to this Comment: 13634

Balance is acheived when a person feels that she is satisfied in the way she lives her life. It involves feeling that the appropriate amount of oneself is devoted to the approriate aspects of life. I believe that it is possible to achieve balance even in such a demanding academic environment. Balance is different for everyone and changes for each individual as his or her priorities may change. We establish priorities by weighing what elements of our lives or most important to us. Balance should be something that we always strive for and is in my opinion not out of reach for anyone, no matter how full her plate.

Name: Ambika Chi
Date: 2005-03-20 11:10:24
Link to this Comment: 13657

What is balance. How do priorities get established and is it reasonable to think we can acheive a balanced state

I feel that balance is a state when everything is comfortable and a state when everything is equal. I believe that it is very difficult to achieve total balance for it is too idealized of a state. We as humans estalish prorities, deciding, for example, what things or tasks are important to us. By numbering the importance of something to us, one is able to achieve a better state of balance.

Name: Tiffany Re
Date: 2005-03-21 10:06:41
Link to this Comment: 13740

What is balance. How do priorities get established and is it reasonable to think we can acheive a balanced state?

To me balance is feeling like you are on top of your life, have all your responsibilities under control, and aren't going crazy in the process.

Priorities are established based on values, I believe. I am involved in a lot of social justice work, and sometimes my school work gets sacrificed for these activities, because they are what is really important to me. Whether or not I get a 3.7 or 2.7 on an exam or paper isn't really going to have a profound effect on my life, where the work I do every day with youth does. Everyone prioritizes differently. To achieve balance something always has to take a backseat to something else- balanced is lost when everything becomes top priority.

It may be the perfectionist in me that wants to believe that balance can be achieved. In college it is especially difficult but I hope someday to emerge from the craziness and have more control over my life.

e conversation
Date: 2005-03-21 19:21:03
Link to this Comment: 13811

I agree with Tiffany's comment when she says, "Balance is lost when everything is top prority.' If we see everything as top priority, I feel that we as humans will are greatly moving away from balance. Balance is seen as not perfectly equal but having your prorities organized in a stress free manner. I know that it is hard to achieve perfect balance as college students, but by having a general organization of one's prorities and determining the importance of one thing versus another, it will make it one step closer to achieving balance.

in response
Date: 2005-03-22 23:12:19
Link to this Comment: 13899

I agree with the last two comments. It is impossible to hold every aspect of life as the most important. Sacrifices must be made here and there but I believe that is something that we all have more or less come to terms with. All apsects of life are rarely perfectly equal in importance to a person and it is even more rare that aspects hold equal importance for different people. Therefore, I think it's important for us all to recognize this and not feel inadequate or discouraged when it appears that another person seems more dedicated to, say, schoolwork or athletics, because it is likely that they simply have different priorities.

balance
Name: liz oliver
Date: 2005-03-23 09:31:03
Link to this Comment: 13909

Balance can definitely be achieved by those who understand it. balance is not being good at everything ,but feeling good about everything. one way to achieve balance, i believe, is to meditate. when you learn to meditate and do it well, when stressful situtations arise you can jump back from them, reflect and determine an appropriate response that suits both you and the situation. balance doens't mean having your life in order but feeling like you have order in your life

comment 2
Name:
Date: 2005-03-23 09:33:07
Link to this Comment: 13910

i agree w/ tiffany that it is hard to find a balance in college, but i definitely believe there are ways to do it -- as a senior i still haven't found them but it doesn't mean i've stopped looking. life is hectic and i think we often lose sight of balance here b/c we feel like we need to jump from one thing to the next so quickly ... otherwise we'll fall behind. i hope that we don't carry this over into are career/family, but if we all maintain the attitude that we must do everything well (and when i say do it well i mean well for the outside world) then we will run ourselves down until we can't do anything at all.

Name: Tiffany
Date: 2005-03-23 11:35:23
Link to this Comment: 13919

I am glad Jackie brought up the idea that we sometimes feel discouraged or inadequate when we see others around us who seem better at certain aspects of life. Its so important to recognize the fact that people all have differing priorities and to keep in mind your own personal strengths. It sounds really cliche but sometimes it helps to remind myself that there will always be people who are "better" than you at whatever, and you will always be "better" than others. (I use the term better for lack of a better one.) Sometimes, though, I am jealous of the balance others seem to have! That tells me, I guess, that I should perhaps make balance more of a priority.

This relates to something that Julia posted in Forum A: "Balance is especially difficult for us to attain, yet we should not strive so hard to be completely balanced, but rather be in a place where we feel comfortable and confident." Maybe by striving too hard for balance we stress ourselves more.

I also agree with others who mention making time to do something in order to "destress." I know I need this, but sometimes it makes me feel guilty because there are so many other things I should be doing. These conflicting feelings I think are often what's at the core of not having balance.

Week II Mindfulness
Date: 2005-03-23 13:39:27
Link to this Comment: 13929

What is the difference between brooding and reflection and will mindfulness and practicing a meditative skill affect one's ability to be reflective? What is the connection to being mindful and one;s well being?

Brooding vs. Reflecting
Name: Jesenia Ge
Date: 2005-03-23 16:44:30
Link to this Comment: 13935

My understanding of brooding is to focus on the negative aspects of something that may cause one to worry, whereas reflecting is more about taking the time out to see the bigger picture. Brooding possesses a negative connotation as opposed to reflecting which connotes a state of calm contemplation. I believe that practicing a meditative skill and mindfulness are essential to be truly reflective. Things such as attending to one’s breathing in order to calm down are simple techniques that produce a better state of being. Maintaining a state of calm induces the ability to be reflective which in turn reflects on one’s well being. For example, my father is not one to calmly reflect on his daily problems and as a result is not in a state of neither physical nor mental well being. He broods more than he reflects as is evidenced by his physical condition and mental state.

Date: 2005-03-29 16:59:25
Link to this Comment: 14141

I believe that brooding is focusing too much into something and focusing on the nitty gritty details of something. Reflection, on the other hand, is reflecting on an issue, taking the time and thinking about something in a calm manner. Yoga can be a reflective practice. By being in a calm state, not too much aware of your surroundings, one will be able to achieve a greater state of reflection. Mindfulness is something that requires a lot of attention, for example, when one eats, they do not think too much of it. They do not focus to the way they chew unless someone points out the detail. Being mindful can connect to one's well being because of the details.

Date: 2005-03-29 17:06:04
Link to this Comment: 14143

I agree with Jisena's comment, when she says that being reflective means looking at the big picture. I believe that it is sometimes more important to look at the bigger picture, rather than focusing too much into the details. I believe that if one focus too much on the details, and is not that reflective, will end up having more stress. For example, when I play piano, I focus on the "big picture," I try to get the correct notes, rhythm, footing on the pedal, and intonation. If I was not reflective, and focused too much on getting the right notes, I would forget about my pedaling and intonation and others. In the end, I might not play the piece correctly. I believe that having a balance of everything, and looking at the big picture is essential for your own wellness.

brooding vs reflection
Date: 2005-03-29 17:40:50
Link to this Comment: 14144

I think of brooding as looking back on something and thinking only of the negative aspects. It involves letting negative thoughts consume you and prevent you from living your life. Reflection on the other hand is looking back on something and being able to think of the good and the bad. It can be productive in helping you work through a difficult time. Being reflective is difficult to do and involves being very aware of oneself and that fact that you might need to stop yourself from the tendency to brood, Meditation can be very helpful in achieving the calm state of mind that is necessary to reflect.

Date: 2005-03-29 17:57:33
Link to this Comment: 14145

I like the example that Ambika provided when describing the idea of looking at the bigger picture. This imagery provides a greater understanding of the contrast between reflecting and brooding. I also agree with Jackie that brooding is more looking back and noticing the negative whereas reflecting encompasses both the negative and the positive. It is this awareness of everything, both good and bad, that allows one to be really reflective and in a better state of mind.

brooding and reflection 2
Date: 2005-03-29 20:06:41
Link to this Comment: 14148

I also agree with the idea of reflection involving looking at the bigger picture and not getting hung up on the little details. With regard to mindfullness I agree that it requires a lot of attention but I think that in order for it to be effective in improving our well-being, it is important that it is not something that we find ourselves needing to put a lot of effort into. If it becomes something that requires too much effort and attention, it can become another thing that consumes us and takes away from our wellness.

mindfulness
Date: 2005-03-30 11:30:30
Link to this Comment: 14159

to be mindful is to be able to step back and look around. when in a stressful situation, being mindful allows you the piece of mind to be in control of your actions and emotions. you don't need to be stressed out about being last in line, because you understand the many reasons you are there -- none of which are unfair.

brooding just sounds negative and reflection doesn't. reflection requires intelligence while brooding requires only pouting, so of course to reflecdt upon one's problems is better than brooding.

response to jackie
Date: 2005-03-30 11:32:53
Link to this Comment: 14160

i definitely disagree with you on your last comment,. jackie. you *do* need to put a lot of effort into being mindful .. at first. it's hard to be able to see the world in this way. it takes a LOT of effort ... if you do anything and want to master it, it tkaes a lot of effort and being mindful is no different. being mindful is learning how to live your li8fe in a completely new way ... and that is difficult. its' also something that you do for a while and then may forget to do so then you hav eot retrain yourself ... do you know what i mean?

Week 3 Glenn Smith
Date: 2005-03-31 10:08:28
Link to this Comment: 14184

Self-management and deciding what is urgent and what is important. How can the tools Glenn described be used to support our choices? How does this connect with Marc Schultz's talk?

Self Management
Date: 2005-04-02 14:45:30
Link to this Comment: 14213

Self management is very important in our everyday lives. Glenn discussed that the choices we make now will have an impact on our future and we would have to live with the consequences. Glenn talked about addressing questions that are important to us, such as what do you treasure and value. With that, one tool he introduced was the time management matrix which is a very convenient tool to rank the task you do based on urgency. By having this along with scheduling tools, we are able to see what things are important to us, such as watching tv. versus studying which affect our decisions and choices. Glenn's talk can connect with Marc Shultz, because Marc speaks of brooding and reflective. Having good decision and having these tools which cause you to become reflective and brood less, because you are organized and will worry less.

Making time for what's important
Date: 2005-04-03 00:34:52
Link to this Comment: 14225

Glenn provided us with a lot of great tools for managing our time in a way that allows us to accomplish all that is important to us. I think the time management matrix idea can be very effective because it allows us to rank what is most urgent and important, or important but not urgent according to our own priorities. Glenn's talk relates to Marc Shultz's talk in that they are both concerned with thinking in a healthy and productive manner which will help us live with wellness.

Date: 2005-04-03 15:49:47
Link to this Comment: 14239

The tools Glenn described help us better organize our lives and create a clearer sense of what is going on. With a better understanding of what is urgent and important and organizing our to do lists in such a fashion can help us make better decisions that our supported by the urgency/importance of the particular choice we have made. The tools Glenn described and Marc Schulz’s ideas of brooding and reflecting go hand in hand. By making these choices based on urgency and importance may lead to less need for brooding and more room for reflecting.

Date: 2005-04-03 21:00:06
Link to this Comment: 14253

Self-management and deciding what is urgent and what is important. How can the tools Glenn described be used to support our choices? How does this connect with Marc Schultz's talk?

I really appreciated Glenn's lecture and I think the book he used is a very valuable resource- something that you can read once and it will give you a different perspective on things you think about all the time and might not even know it. For example, I think we are all somewhat obsessed with time and spending it wisely, managing our schedules so that we can be most productive, etc. Personally, at the beginning of the week (or on Monday during a class) I make a schedule for every day of the week- pretty much down to the hour. Glenn said, "You cannot manage time but you can manage yourself." Sometimes I think my schedule is detrimental because if I fall behind I begin to feel guilty and stress out even more, when that is not even the point of making the schedule to begin with.

The matrix helped me realize that I spend a lot of time doing "crisis control" things and also things that seem urgent but aren't really that important, something I need to work on.

I think reflection can be a great tool to help us figure out what are really the most important things in our lives so that we can then concentrate on prioritizing.

making time for what's important 2
Date: 2005-04-05 13:48:11
Link to this Comment: 14325

I agree with Tiffany's comment that we tend to obsess over time and scheduling and how that may be unhealthy. I really like Glenn's idea of scheduling in the things that we decide to be important but not urgent, because it is those things that get left out during a hectic week where we allow the urgent things, whether or not they are actually important, to take precedence.

Date: 2005-04-06 00:44:35
Link to this Comment: 14338

I also agree with Tiffany's comments that we tend to be obsessed with time. However I also feel that we tend to get distracted and sucked in like Glenn said by distractions like the television, the internet, instant messenging, etc. While these can be convenient and it's nice to have a distraction once in a while, I personally feel that if I cut down my time on these things I would have much more time to work on urgent and important things ahead of time instead of waiting until the last minute.

Name:
Date: 2005-04-06 08:52:01
Link to this Comment: 14341

I agree with Tiffany's comment when she says that "Reflecting is a great tool to help us prioritize and reflect what is important." I believe that by having time management skills and prioritizing what is important will help individuals have time to reflect, relax, and think about their goals. This is a healthy tool which I believe that everyone should try to utilize.

Date: 2005-04-06 08:52:35
Link to this Comment: 14342

I agree with Tiffany's comment when she says that "Reflecting is a great tool to help us prioritize and reflect what is important." I believe that by having time management skills and prioritizing what is important will help individuals have time to reflect, relax, and think about their goals. This is a healthy tool which I believe that everyone should try to utilize. With these tools, one is able to realize their goals and destress a little bit.

Date: 2005-04-06 10:48:24
Link to this Comment: 14345

glenn told us a lot of good stuff but i think the most important was that it's up to us to help us ... and that was a lot like marc's talk ... b/c if you want to be healthier and happier meditation and reflection are important and only we can decide if we want to reflect or brood.

Date: 2005-04-06 10:49:17
Link to this Comment: 14346

i also agree w/ tiffany ... and it is somethingn we should all strive to do b/c the busier we are, the more we need time to reflect and meditate b/c it makes it seem so much easier ... it's amazing just how much simple breathing exercises can impact your life!

Date: 2005-04-06 11:20:27
Link to this Comment: 14347

I agree with Jesenia that unnecessary distractions such as aim, the facebook, email, news websites (my favorite procrastination tools!) needlessly suck up all our time. Sometimes it can be difficult to just FOCUS on what you need to get done when it seems like there is so much to do- it overwhelms you and its easier to just surf the net or whatever. Maybe some meditation can help one to be less overwhelmed and just concentrate on tasks one at a time.

Date: 2005-04-06 11:21:08
Link to this Comment: 14348

I agree with Jesenia that unnecessary distractions such as aim, the facebook, email, news websites (my favorite procrastination tools!) needlessly suck up all our time. Sometimes it can be difficult to just FOCUS on what you need to get done when it seems like there is so much to do- it overwhelms you and its easier to just surf the net or whatever. Maybe some meditation can help one to be less overwhelmed and just concentrate on tasks one at a time.

Week 4 Mimi Murray
Date: 2005-04-11 18:40:53
Link to this Comment: 14463

Mimi described good nurtition using the same language that Marc and Glenn used, of being mindful about eating, our choices and how much, of planning and making time for meals. How does nutrition affect balance and how is it possible to be mindful about our eating?

Date: 2005-04-12 11:52:10
Link to this Comment: 14510

Mark Schulz briefly mentioned Kabat-Zinn, his books, and his UMass Center for Mindfullness which does a course in meditation and mindfulness that I took two summers ago (I was a terrible student- it's hard stuff!) BUT, one of the exercises was mindful eating- every day we were supposed to eat something very slowly, thinking about its texture, how it felt in our mouth, the taste, any sensation you felt while eating it, how it felt when you swallowed, etc etc. This is a little extensive for every day mindful eating but the point is the same- to think about what you are eating, enjoy it, and realize when you are full instead of inhaling food in a few seconds between classes.

Date: 2005-04-12 15:46:11
Link to this Comment: 14521

Mindful eating is very important for balance in our everyday lives. We should be cautious, but not to an extreme of what we eat, because it can affect our balance and life later on for the choices we make now, like Glenn stated in his lecture, will affect our future. Like Mimi stated, we must take the time and reflect on what we eat and the way we eat, for we will be able to achieve a better level of balance.

Date: 2005-04-12 15:48:20
Link to this Comment: 14522

I agree with Tiffany that we must take the time and reflect on what we eat, for example, enjoy that piece of chocolate cake slowly, you do not necessary have to have the mind-set to eat the whole thing because it tastes good. Reflecting and enjoying something slowly, is better than eating fast and having less time to enjoy.

Date: 2005-04-12 17:32:39
Link to this Comment: 14528

Mindful eating is a good skill to acquire, especially in our weight obsessed society. If we are not mindful of our eating, it could affect the balance in our life because instead of focusing on other things, we may devote too much of our limited time to obsessing over food. It is easy to get carried away dieting and counting calories. Instead of this hectic life style one should be mindful of eating habits and form a healthier life style. This does not mean that you can't eat the foods you like but to eat them in appropriate portions.

Date: 2005-04-13 11:49:03
Link to this Comment: 14544

Jesenia brought up the fact that our society is weight-obsessed and I think that adds an extra dimension to this discussion. I think that it's difficult to be mindful of our food and that while we do so some of us walk a fine line between being mindful and becoming obsessed with what we eat.

mindful eating
Date: 2005-04-13 12:21:08
Link to this Comment: 14546

Having good nutrition is really important to maintain balance in life. Without eating in a balanced and healthy way, we do not have the energy or state of mind to handle a busy and demanding schedule. To mindfully eat, it is important to pay attention to what we are eating and how much we are eating.

mindful eating 2
Date: 2005-04-13 12:29:43
Link to this Comment: 14551

I also agree with the comments regarding the weight obsession in our society. We have to be careful not to be mindful about our eating in a negative way. It is somewhat similar to brooding versus reflection. It is important for us to pay attention to our food and enjoy it, but unhealthy for us to become preoccupied with everything that we eat. Brooding over food and calories can lead to unhealthy eating habits.

Date: 2005-04-13 12:33:41
Link to this Comment: 14552

i'm taking a psychopharmacology class right now and i can tell you that nutrition affects everything ... it slows your brain down when you're not fed well enough and when youare fed well you function so much better. and, if your brain doesn't work well -- you really can't even attempt to find balalnce in your life b/c you just won't have the energy for it

Date: 2005-04-13 12:35:16
Link to this Comment: 14553

i'ts great to say that we need to be mindful of things like how it's okay for us to look a certain way etc but i don't think it's ever going to happen. and i'm not being negative, but realistic. our soiceity is so far gone that fat people are never going to think of themselves as anything but until they lose weight. and maybe that's good since losing weight will make them healthier, but perhaps bad b/c weight shouldn't make them sad in the first place ...

Week 5 Get FITT Bryn Mawr
Date: 2005-04-13 17:30:23
Link to this Comment: 14555

Matt gave a good talk on the three components of fitness. Flexibility, Aerobics and Weight Training. FITT - Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type.
Explain the rationale behind the overload principle and what this all means to developing a fitness plan. How is this connected to mindfulness, making choices of self management and good nutrition?

mindful eating...
Date: 2005-04-14 17:57:01
Link to this Comment: 14569

I agree with Tiffany that it is a fine line to walk between mindful eating and becoming obsessed with what we eat. It needs to be addressed early on in order to attempt to prevent the effects of our weight obsessed society.

Date: 2005-04-14 23:21:56
Link to this Comment: 14575

The overload principle makes perfect sense- if you run a mile a day every day for 6 months, after the initial weight loss that may occur, your body is just going to stop. You may get quicker due to the fact that you are getting in better shape simply by the fact that you are exercising everyday, but you are not working out to your full potential. It makes far more sense to consciously push your body a little bit further every time in order to continue the process of becoming fit. It is being mindful of your workout. If you are in the process of self managing efficiently, you don't want to waste your time spent working out; you want to use it to its full potential, and using the overload principle will do just that.

Date: 2005-04-18 12:48:55
Link to this Comment: 14669

Matt discussed that if a person works out everyday, that does not necessarily mean that he is getting their full potential or exercise. He says that just because a person rides the treadmill for an hour everyday, they are not necessarily getting the full amount, because their body is gradual becoming immune to the same cycle. However, we must work ourselves into a mode where we are mindful of our balance, self-management, and time. Matt discussed that if there is a day where you can work out for only 15 minutes, you should work out still if you have time and value the fifteen minutes and make it to your full potential as if you were exercising for your usual hour.

Date: 2005-04-18 15:59:15
Link to this Comment: 14683

the first time i heard that you shouldn't lift weights 2 days in row I couldn't believe it. And, it's weird that you cannot just do the same exercises every day and have that be okay -- runners run every day and they seem to be in good shape for the most part. It's strange.

Date: 2005-04-18 16:00:31
Link to this Comment: 14684

it seems wrong to think that in 15 minutes you can accomplish what you can in one hour. at bmc i find it hard to find 15 minutes sometimes still, you know? but, it's good to know that if you do work hard for 15 minutes ... remember that it does do something and it isn't just a waste of time.

getting fitt
Date: 2005-04-18 19:38:22
Link to this Comment: 14697

The overload principle makes a lot of sense and is something that I plan to use in my workouts. Matt told us that doing the same workout repeatedly at the same intensity and for the same duration will not show results. It is important to steadily increase the intensity and difficulty of workouts in order to achieve greater weightloss or fitness. He also told us that it is effective to work out for a shorter amount of time, but at an increased level of intensity. This is very helpful in managing our schedules and being able to fit in fitness.

Date: 2005-04-19 15:03:38
Link to this Comment: 14732

I agree with Tiffany that it is very important to self-manage your time in your workout. I feel that if we all have good time management, along with mindful eating, it will help ease the stress of our everyday lives.

Date: 2005-04-19 16:24:02
Link to this Comment: 14733

From my understanding the concept of the overload principle is to do enough excercise in a healthy fashion which may cause discomfort (such as your muscles aching) but will ultimately be beneficial for you. Matt gave the example of working out your legs, your thigh should ache, not your knee. Self management, mindfulness, and good nutrition all play a role in successfully applying FITT into fitness. You must manage time in order to schedule time for working out. It is essential to be mindful of the fitness routine and if you are pushing yourself hard enough for the work out to be beneficial but not to over do it either. Good nutrition is also essential because if you are working out but have not improved your nutrition habits you will not be reaping the optimal benefits of your fitness routine.

Date: 2005-04-19 16:27:37
Link to this Comment: 14734

I agree with Tiffany and Ambika about being mindful of your workout and pushing oneself to prevent the workout from becoming a habit. I also agree with Liz that it doesn't seem like 15 mins can be just as beneficial as an hour of working out but it is a nice trade off.

getting fitt 2
Date: 2005-04-19 22:26:34
Link to this Comment: 14741

I agree that it is important to use self-management, mindfulness, and good nutrition in order to apply the FITT principles into a fitness routine. I was also very surprised to hear that a 15 minute workout can be as benetificial as an hour of working out. It seems to me that it would be better to work out for a longer time because it means that you will have your heart rate up for longer.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:16 CDT