Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Women Living Well: Mind and Body Connection Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

introduction
Name: Amy Campbe
Date: 2004-03-17 13:55:37
Link to this Comment: 8855

1. Introduce yourself to your e-forum

2. How do you define "Living Well" What are some of the obstacles that prevent you from reaching your "living well' state and what are things that suppport your efforts? How as a community, can we better support 'living well' as a central part of the campus culture?

Living Well
Name: Ana
Date: 2004-03-18 11:25:23
Link to this Comment: 8874

Hi, my name is Ana Salzberg and I'm a junior - for me, "living well" means finding a balance between the things you have to do, and the things you want to do. It is often difficult to find this balance on campus - at school, it is easy to be overwhelmed by what is expected of us. Still, it is important to keep these expectations in perspective by maintaining a life beyond the schoolwork, etc., even through something as simple as spending time with friends.

Living Well
Name: Amna.
Date: 2004-03-18 19:36:47
Link to this Comment: 8878

Hi, my name is Amna. and I'm a sophmore. I agree with Ana in that "living well" for me means finding a balance between what I want to do and what I need to do, and finding time for what's really important. It means being healthy, and happy.

living well
Name: Kate Tucke
Date: 2004-03-21 23:48:34
Link to this Comment: 8934

I'm Kate Tucker. I'm a Senior Political Science major taking a much needed break from my thesis to post here. :-)

Living well is taking time to do the activities that are important to you, as well as the activities that your body needs. For example, your body you to eat, bathe, and exercise. And every person has activities that they enjoy or that are important to them. For many Bryn Mawr students, academics are very important; therefore, living well means that a lot of time is spent pursuing whatever academic passion that person has. And then its also important to take time out to do things that you enjoy. I find that living well for myself involves sneaking the little things that I enjoy into an otherwise fairly hectic life. For example, listening to music I love while reading for class, or knitting while watching the news.

I think the answer that comes immediately to everyone is that we as a campus need to support activities other than academics. We all know that Bryn Mawr students are very driven and have a tendency to disappear into our rooms and get exceedingly stressed. While I most definitely do think this is a problem, I think its interesting that we talk about it so much. Isn't it strange that we complain so much about our lack of social lives, but we don't just get out and do stuff? What's preventing us? Plenty of people go to high-stress schools and still manage to make time to relax. So why do we feel like our lives are so unbalanced and that we're not 'living well'?

living well intro
Name: yinnette
Date: 2004-03-22 10:43:54
Link to this Comment: 8936

Hey I am Yinnette a Junior Anthro major from Boston.
I agree with a lot that has been said in our forum. Living well is definately finding a balance in your life were you do not only focus on one aspect of it and forget about the others.I am a firm believer that everything in excess is harmful, so if you shower too much, or if you eat too much, or yes even if you study too much, negative effects can result from all of those things. Living well for me here at Bryn Mawr has a lot to do with making sure that I get "me" time away from books, even if it means that some academic things will get done at a later time. I dont think that becoming unhealthy by not eating, sleeping, or neglecting other parts of my life, aid in anyway improving my academic skills, if anything they make it worse.

I dont know if agree with the idea that Bryn Mawr does not offer things for students to do on a social level in order for students to be more well rounded. I feel that Bryn Mawr has things to offer on weekends and on weekdays, by different clubs on campus. I feel like for the most part there is always some non academic thing going on. I think most of the problem comes from the students behalf, they chose whether or no they want to stop doing academic related things and take advantage of whats being offered. Students here need to learn how to be more proactive and that living well means knowing how to mix things up a bit.

Introduction
Name: suhali
Date: 2004-03-22 16:07:03
Link to this Comment: 8942

Hi my name is Suhali and i am freshman. For me "living well" means finding a balance with your mental, emotional and physical health. i think if you know what you want and are motivated to get it your stress level goes down drastically. I think being part of the bryn mawr community definately helps me because it forces me to focus on my life and goals. i do think that brynmawr can improve its "living well" situation because i think it is not balanced at all. we should definately try to make a central idea so everyone is aware of the importance of having external balance in life. everyone should know how to be happy!!!!!

living well
Date: 2004-03-24 21:17:08
Link to this Comment: 8989

I agree with Yinnette - I think we have to make a conscious decision to find activities that are more relaxing/fun compared to the school work we have to do...

living well
Name: Katherine
Date: 2004-03-29 21:33:21
Link to this Comment: 9059

Hi, I'm Katherine and a junior. I agree with what everyone has posted so far--I think living well means being able to find some sort of balance to your life and maintaining a happy and healthy lifestyle. I think it's hard for a lot of people to find that because there often isn't a lot of time to ourselves, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by the amount of work here. As a community, I think it's important to emphasize the importance of finding balance in our lives and to provide a supportive environment.

Week 2 Balance
Date: 2004-04-02 13:18:10
Link to this Comment: 9132

Professor Cassidy talked about the importance of a positive emotional state and how it can have a strong impact on cognitive development, how we make decisions, discern connections, the ability to think broadly about issues etc. What are some examples of how you have experienced the benefits of a positive emotional state and how, as a small class, might be able to support a cultural shift which reflects the importance of balance in the lives of students. What is one thing you could do, each day-each week, which would encourage positive emotional balance in your life and in the lives of your friends??

Positive psych
Date: 2004-04-02 18:03:40
Link to this Comment: 9136

As for the benefits of a positive emotional state, I know that I am able to be a better friend, family member, and student if I make a conscious decision to maintain a positive attitude about the things going on in my life - of course, this is often easier said than done, but something that has helped me is to take some time for myself every day, even if it's just to listen to music or read part of a book...if you are able to surround yourself with the things that make you happy, even if it's only for an hour or so, it becomes easier to deal with the things you have to do.

Living Well
Name: Justina Mi
Date: 2004-04-02 19:12:24
Link to this Comment: 9137

I think that "Living Well" means trying to find that balance. It means eating right and sleeping and trying to find happiness in all aspects of your life. In reality, however, I think that many women do not achieve this. It is especially easy at a challenging women's college such as Bryn Mawr to neglect certain needs and mix up out priorities. Im sure that this course will help me 'live better'.

'Living Well"
Name: Nadine
Date: 2004-04-02 19:40:30
Link to this Comment: 9138

Hi! I'm Nadine and a junior. I think living well means trying to find a balance between you mental and physical health. Though Bryn Mawr is academically very demanding, I think it's as important to get sleep, eat well and have a social life...just be happy!

positve psych
Date: 2004-04-04 01:27:49
Link to this Comment: 9144

To achieve emotional balance, I think you need to have a positive outlook on life. For myself, I find that if I get out of Bryn Mawr during the weekends into philly, or just go to another city , my week goes by much better. I feel refreshed once the week starts. During the week, I think you need to take time out to relax, whether it is talking on the phone with friends, listening to music, reading a book etc. If I'm really stressed I work out at the gym which really helps. If you find what helps you 'de-stress', you can be more positive and happy, and therefore achieve emotional balance.

living well
Name: Johanna
Date: 2004-04-05 12:53:34
Link to this Comment: 9168

Hi I am Johanna. I think that a positive emotional state is very important to achieving a balance here at Bryn Mawr. I think one of the things that has helped me most is to accept the fact that if you are at bryn mawr you are capable of doing the work and that it shouldnt overwhelm you. When I am stressed this allows me to take a step back and realize that everything is just fine. Also I find that when the weather is warm it is a great break and energy booster to walk to a playground and go on the swings; you get endorphines and exersize!

Positive Psych
Name: Justina
Date: 2004-04-05 23:33:00
Link to this Comment: 9188

I think that it is important to set time aside for yourself every day. This has to be time that u are relaxed and doing something that u enjoy rather than something u 'have to do' such as homework. Balance is a hard thing to achieve but it is easier if u try not to lose site of the things that make you happy such as playing an instrument or reading a book, working out or talking to friends. Iv learned that achieving happiness in one aspect of your life is not enough.

Staying positive
Name:
Date: 2004-04-06 00:09:35
Link to this Comment: 9190

I agree with what some of my peers have stated about staying positive, and living life in a positive way. The people I choose to surround myself with have a lot to do with keeping my environment positive, fun, and healthy. My friends, which i cherish greatly, as well as myself know that although we are here at this institution to get an education and to get the grades what is most important is our sanity and our physical health. We look out for each other, whether its if one of us needs to go to the healthcenter, or needs advice on what to do for a class, or if one of us needs a study/Gym buddy, or for whatever. What we try to remember, encourage, and practice, is knowing that our education experience is not just about the things we learn out of books, but also the application of the things learned in class in our day to day lives, through work, extracurriculars, hobbies etc.

week 2
Date: 2004-04-06 16:26:49
Link to this Comment: 9209

A positive emotional state is definately important to help you focus on what needs to be done and to be the best version of yourself. I agree with everyone that it's important to set aside time for yourself in order to feel balanced.

Living well
Date: 2004-04-07 08:05:33
Link to this Comment: 9227

I agree with the "Anonymous" posting - it is really important to surround yourself with people who you feel will help you stay positive and balanced.

Positive Psych
Date: 2004-04-07 12:01:08
Link to this Comment: 9232

I agree with Nadine that learning to de-stress if u ARE stressed is just as important in finding balance as it is to find time to yourself.

Positive Psych
Date: 2004-04-10 20:21:55
Link to this Comment: 9262

I agree with what everyone has said so far..that to acheive good grades and be happy, you have to be physically and mentally healthy, which means taking out time for yourself and your friends.

Fitness week 3
Date: 2004-04-11 19:58:57
Link to this Comment: 9269

Jody Law presented a good over view of why fitness is an important component of balance. What are the things that help suppport your own fitness routine and what are things that present a challenge? How (realistically) can the challenges be over come?

week 3
Date: 2004-04-12 02:21:08
Link to this Comment: 9278

For me, the biggest challenge is making it part of my weekly routine. When I was in high school, I regularly exercised and it was just something I did. I didn't really think about it all that much...in fact, I though I was in pretty horrible shape. Looking back on it, I was actually doing quite a bit. What I have realized is that I need to make exercise and fitness part of my routine, or it won't happen. Also, having a friend or two along with me makes all the difference in the world. I like some sports, but I'm not a fan of the self-motivated fitness activities like jogging or the stairmaster. Having a group along, and giving me something to focus on other than my own physical discomfort, really helps!

week 3
Name: Amna
Date: 2004-04-12 15:13:03
Link to this Comment: 9286

I hate exercising. At least in the traditional "go for a run and weightlift" sense. I can't exercise outside during the cold weather because of my asthma and the idea of going to a gym makes me hide under the covers. I find that, for myself, doing fun things like dance classes or long walks are the way to go. It can't feel like exercise or I won't do it. I try to sign up for dance classes or just go dancing with friends every weekend and take after-dinner walks with a friend two or three times a week. I know it's not the strenuous exercise that fitness people recommend, but I figure that it's better than nothing!

week 3
Date: 2004-04-12 19:27:23
Link to this Comment: 9291

Finding the time to exercise is the hardest part for me. I'm definately better about it during the summer or when we are on break, but when there are so many other things to do, it often gets pushed to the side or not done at all. Exercising with a friend, or setting aside a set time to work out would definately help me be better about it.

week 3
Date: 2004-04-12 19:42:53
Link to this Comment: 9292

My fitness routine is pretty relaxed - I think not having a car helps, because it means that I have to do a lot of walking. Making myself go to the gym is tough, because when I do have free time I rarely want to go work out, so I try to compromise by taking a long walk. I know I feel better about myself after working out, but - as ever - finding time is the biggest challenge.

exercise
Name: johanna
Date: 2004-04-13 10:52:06
Link to this Comment: 9330

I find that the best way for me to incorporate exercise into my weekly routine is to do it in a way that doesnt feel like exercise; I like to walk back from my classes at haverford or take a walk for the fun of it. I find it more difficult to go to the gym because I feel like I cant make the time and I dont find it as enjoyable as being outside. However, every once in a while I get the urge to go to the gym and I find it helpful to follow my urge and go- but truth be told, exercise no matter how I get it makes me feel good.

Week 3
Date: 2004-04-13 18:48:22
Link to this Comment: 9347

I very often find it difficult to find time to work out and be as fit as I would like. This is additionally difficult, because I am limited in the excercise that I can do. I just try my best to do what I can and think of it as a good time investment, rather than a bother.

week 3
Name: Yinnette
Date: 2004-04-13 23:19:57
Link to this Comment: 9352

Like other people have said, I also find it very difficult to get to the gym. Partly because of my class schedule, but also because of the things I do outside of class. I do have to say that I am also just really lazy and I have no motivation, although I am thin I know that I am far from healthy and there are areas of my body which I am far from content with. I guess what works best for me is having actual gym classes that involve physical fitness because once I am at the gym with some friends I am fine, its more about just getting there. So I guess if I have scheduled required kind of classes, I would make the effort to get to the gym.

Date: 2004-04-14 01:09:19
Link to this Comment: 9356

Every semester, I resolve to go to the gym, or swim at least thrice a week. I can do this for probably a few weeks before my work load catches up and I don't exercise for a long time. Also, if the weather is bad I refuse to go to the gym. However, this semester I realized that I get more energy if I do some exercise.If I can't make it to the gym on my 'workout days', I get up earlier the next morning to go work out. I try not to use a car and walk everywhere. Also, I take two classes at UPENN, so I make it a point to walk to my classes from the station and back, so I walk for atleast half an hour four times a week.

Week 3
Date: 2004-04-14 10:13:52
Link to this Comment: 9359

I agree with Katherine - I think exercising with a friend is helpful, and makes it easier to get motivated.

Week 3
Date: 2004-04-14 11:37:49
Link to this Comment: 9363

I agree with Nadine that trying to do little things like walk more places than taking a car or bus is a good way to stay a little bit fitter every day. It is important to also have a strong will power to stay on track so that going to the gym isnt something u have to force yourself to do. It becomes a habit and something that you get used to so that u can incorporate it into your daily or weekly routine.

week 3
Name:
Date: 2004-04-14 22:22:40
Link to this Comment: 9374

I guess the type of Physical excercise I like the best is the type that doesnt really feel like excercise. For example, I love to bike ride but i dont like to use the bikes at the gym. I would much rather wait for a nice day and rent some of the bikes that Bryn Mawr has for student use. The same goes for running and or walking, for me i guess the difference is the environment or surrounding,I think its just more fun when your outside.

Week 4 Good and Bad Stress
Date: 2004-04-15 12:18:53
Link to this Comment: 9386

Reggie led a conversation articulating the differences between good and bad stress and also acute and chronic stress. Patterns of behavior are established early on as freshmen at BMC - how can those patterns be changed to address the good suggestions made in the class to deal more effectively with stress? Is it possible to change to reduce the amount of stress students often say they are under? What will you do this week- next week to alleviate stress and enhance your positive mental state?

Week 4
Date: 2004-04-15 12:27:16
Link to this Comment: 9387

I remember that someone said it is helpful to keep things into perspective, and I think that that it really helpful. Freshman year, it was more difficult to see the big picture and realize that exam week doesn't last forever, but after surviving a couple of years of exams and final papers, it really does become easier to see a light at the end of the tunnel. This time of year may be stressful, but it does end.

stress
Name: Amna.
Date: 2004-04-15 21:40:12
Link to this Comment: 9395

I, myself, don't usually have acute or chronic stress problems. I mean, I experience stress, everyone does, but it rarely escalates to a problem point. I've become very good at focusing entirely on what I'm doing, whether it be work or fun and so if I'm supposed to be having fun, I just don't think about my work. I think that helps keep me on an even keel. Plus, my friends and I have instituted Thursday night as DGNI nights where we get together and watch a movie and talk and eat and just relax. It's nice to have a guarenteed relax time every week with friends I don't get to spend time with otherwise. As a rule, no amount of work is allowed to interrupt my attendance because although I may end up staying awake an extra hour or two to finish my work on Thursdays, I always feel so much happier on Fridays, which is a great way to start the weekend.

Good Stress/Bad Stress
Date: 2004-04-16 00:12:55
Link to this Comment: 9397

Something that I think is really important to remember is that little failures is OK, and not the end of the world. It is important, like Kim Cassidy said to keep things in perspective. Just because things dont turn out exactly the way you want them too, doesnt mean u cant accomplish other tasks. The downside of stress is that it inhibits people from accomplishing what they really need to. I deal with stress by trying to talk to friends and get my frustration out. This makes me feel better and more in control. I like talking best to friends who seem to manage their stress well because it seems that people who manage it badly (or worse than me) tend to get even more stressed by other people. I do agree, however, that sometimes stress motivates me in good ways.

stress
Date: 2004-04-20 03:32:32
Link to this Comment: 9468

I manage my stress pretty well most of the time, but there are those weeks where the papers and midterms pile up. During that time, I make it a point not to pull all-nighters, as I feel they cause more stress. I know that most of my professors are pretty reasonable, and that its ok to ask for an extension! Reggie mentioned that chronic stress inhibits you from being productive. I'd rather ask for a few more days than give in a lousy paper, which would make me unhappy and dissatisfied with myself as well. It is also a good idea to talk to someone outside of Bryn Mawr because chances are, they wont be as stressed and will help put things in perspective. However, as Reggie said, not all stress is bad. It definetely motivates me to do work.

Week 4
Date: 2004-04-20 13:58:53
Link to this Comment: 9486

I think Amna has a good idea about the guaranteed stress-free time - it's important to have something to look forward to beyond papers and exams, and it makes it easier to accomplish those tasks knowing that you have time set aside just for you.

week 4
Date: 2004-04-20 21:17:43
Link to this Comment: 9495

I think patterns of behavior can definately change over the years to deal with stress. As the workload becomes heavier, you have to adapt to such differences and make changes accordingly. I agree with what Ana said about keeping things in perspective, and realizing that things will pass in time. How we feel now is not necessarily how we will be feeling later. Things get easier, and as we get older, hopefully we realize what works for us and what doesn't when it comes to dealing with stress. I plan to just give myself a break from time to time over the next few weeks, so that there are things to look forward to (whether reading a book, watching a movie, etc.) while still be able to get work done.

stress
Date: 2004-04-20 23:48:39
Link to this Comment: 9501

I apologize because I have posted anonymous comments two weeks in a row now by mistake. With that said, I think that freshmen year is one of the hardest transitions a student can make. With that transition comes an enormous amount of stress that can be both beneficial or detrimental (as was discussed in class) to a first year student. One of the ways in which a first year student can reduce stress is by putting everything in proportion. They need to know and understand that although school work is necessary and will allow you to succeed, it can not be put before ones mental and physical well being. Once that is understood a student may choose to prioritize accordingly.

stress
Date: 2004-04-20 23:53:01
Link to this Comment: 9502

I guess something specific that I do is having a day in the week where I can find time to just relax and do nothing thats related to school work. Friend time for me is very important, so just hanging out with them makes me feel less stressful, they help me keep focused and healthy and I guess you can say that I do the same for them.

Name:
Date: 2004-04-21 03:37:58
Link to this Comment: 9507

I agree with what Justina said, that a little failure is ok and that we need to keep things in perspective. I think its a good idea to talk to your friends when feeling low.

Date: 2004-04-21 03:38:13
Link to this Comment: 9508

I agree with what Justina said, that a little failure is ok and that we need to keep things in perspective. I think its a good idea to talk to your friends when feeling low.

week 4-response 1
Date: 2004-04-21 10:07:27
Link to this Comment: 9511

I think that there are definitely things that we should do as a school to help freshman deal with stress. I remember when I was a freshman, I didn't have so much work to do that I couldn't have a life, but there was a sense that I was slacking off because I wasn't working all the time. I remember seeing the sophomores...they were always in their rooms studying and I just didn't understand what they were doing all the time. I think that we have a need at Bryn Mawr to give 120% to our academics and I think that kind of stress is very damaging to us. When I see students in a last push to get a project done, when they're kind of euphoric and excited about it...even though they're stressed out. Well, that's fine. But seeing students disappear into their rooms day after day, simply because they have lots of reading or lots of assignments, that's just not healthy. I really think this atmosphere is cultivated by the upperclassmen at Bryn Mawr. I don't see the freshman on my hall having as much fun anymore. They study so much more and don't have that youthful carelessness anymore. We're still young...we need to enjoy ourselves!

week 4-response 2
Date: 2004-04-21 10:09:29
Link to this Comment: 9512

I really agree with what people are saying about taking time out and talking to friends. Its important that we maintain personally connections. I know that when I spend massive quantities of the time by myself or in the library I can feel like the tasks I have to do take up my whole world. Just sitting down with friends and hearing what's going on in their lives gives me a new perspective and makes my life feel less stressful.

week 3-response 2
Date: 2004-04-21 10:13:33
Link to this Comment: 9513

To back up a bit to the topic of physical fitness, I really like what everyone has said about building exercise into parts of their daily routines. This actually kind of ties into the stress thing. I know that I often feel like I don't have time to exercise, even if that just means walking instead of driving. I'm usually rushing around and I feel like walking to Haverford would take impossibly long and that I have to get going now. I actually also have this feeling when I walk to my car, which is parked at Brecon (but I live in Merion). I think that's definitely the ultimate laziness. I hate having to walk to my car. But I also definitely agree that having nice weather helps. I don't mind walking now. Another thing that will help once the semester ends is being at home...my dog doesn't care how lazy I'm feeling. He still wants to get out and walk!

week 2-response 1
Date: 2004-04-21 10:16:32
Link to this Comment: 9514

I think, the most important thing to do to maintain an emotional balance is to have as much fun as possible! I really like the suggestion at the end of class that we all go ask our friends what they were going to do for fun. Most of my friends laughed. A few responded by saying they weren't going to do part of their homework. It reinforced to me how very driven we are at Bryn Mawr! If we all just take more time out to have fun, then we'll be so much happier. Its impossible to be happy while only focusing on tasks that must be done.

week 2-response 2
Date: 2004-04-21 10:18:38
Link to this Comment: 9515

I think what everyone has said about surrounding themselves with positive friends is really important. For the first half of my college experience, I was the one who was always trying to get my friends to lighten up, go out and have fun. When I began to get bogged down with all the things I had to do this year, I found that I could count on my friends to make me get out and take time for myself. It was wonderful seeing that I had converted them...and now they were looking out for me!

week 1-response 2
Date: 2004-04-21 10:21:16
Link to this Comment: 9516

Okay, my last comment. A lot of people mentioned in the living well section that we need to help each other and as a community be supportive of a balance. I think that is great and I think that starts by having conversations like this today. I wish I had taken this class my freshman year. I feel like then I would have realized that I was putting much more pressure on myself than I needed to...and that my have changed my perception of the last four years. Stay strong, freshman! Keep a hold on your lives and your happiness...and make Bryn Mawr a fun place!

first question
Date: 2004-04-22 00:28:13
Link to this Comment: 9533

Hi, my name is Johanna and I am a junior (unfortunately I missed the first week of class so here is my response a bit late). I think that living well means being able to balance academics with having a social life while also being physically healthy- in terms of healthy eating habits, getting sleep and physical activity. For me what has been helpful is to acknowledge how much time in reality something will take me so I can plan better while also realizing that as important as academics are, if you dont make time for outside activities and interests then you wont be a well balanced person. There are a number of obstacles that prevent me from sometimes living well- I sometimes cant find time when I can do exercise or go out, also, since i really do my best work after 11 pm I sometimes dont get enough sleep, and the dining situation isnt so great, I wish they had more selection or that meals felt like real meals rather than a bunch of random foods put together so that I could feel fuller and eat a more balanced diet. However, I do try to overcome these obstacles and have been somewhat successful in that effort. As a community I feel that we can perhaps have more club sports. Also, I feel as if we need to assure people that as much as academics are important, that college is a growing experience so it is ok to go out and have fun and try new things; then there might be some pressure taken off of people academically.

week 1- part 2
Date: 2004-04-22 15:02:13
Link to this Comment: 9547

I pretty much agree with everyone; there needs to be a balanced found in one's life between fun and work. I think that living well means balancing all parts of your life, from eating healthy foods (but also indulging in sweets sometimes) to taking time out in your day to relax.

week 2-part 2
Date: 2004-04-22 15:06:29
Link to this Comment: 9548

I agree with many of the comments posted for this week, it is a really good idea and important step to find and set aside time everyday for things you enjoy. When I am in a posative mental state I am a better student, I do better work and I am a happier person. I think this is true of almost any one.

Living In Community
Date: 2004-04-22 20:19:51
Link to this Comment: 9560

Professor Martin talked about community, defining it and how communities shape us and how we shape our communities. Why is it important to shape a community and with so many 'communities' at Bryn Mawr, is it possible to shape all those you where are a member?

Week 5
Date: 2004-04-25 00:28:04
Link to this Comment: 9586

I think it's important to help shape whatever community you are involved with - the relationships between active people in the communities help make those groups strong and functioning. Even though there are many various communities at Bryn Mawr, it is possible to make your mark as long as you remember that these groups are only as good/strong as the people who comprise them.

week 5
Date: 2004-04-26 18:09:53
Link to this Comment: 9605

I think it's important to shape community, because a community is defined by the way its members interact. We therefore have the capability of determining the environment in which we live, and it's important to keep that in mind in our relationships with others. And I think it's possible to impact all of the groups we are a member of, although it may depend on your degree of committment or participation.

Community
Name: Amna
Date: 2004-04-26 18:21:50
Link to this Comment: 9607

I agree that it's important to shape the communities you are a part of. Often it can happen without too much effort on your part as part of what the community is is who you are and what you contribute towards it. If you're not working on shaping a community that you're part of, why are you part of it?

week 3
Date: 2004-04-26 23:18:37
Link to this Comment: 9624

after reading other enteries I realize that is might actually be useful to plan time for physical activity but not necessarily plan a specific type of activity. That way I would have a certain amount of time set aside and would be more likely to do it and not make excuses.

week 4 part 1
Date: 2004-04-26 23:21:49
Link to this Comment: 9625

I think that it is important to recognize that there is both good and bad stress; that way you can identify which one it is. By doing this we can get out of the rut of negative, chronic stress. I will try to set realistic priorities for myself so I can still have stress, but the good kind.

Date: 2004-04-26 23:25:22
Link to this Comment: 9626

It is important to shape the bryn mawr community precisely because it is made up of so many smaller communities. Each smaller community has something unique to offer the rest of the school and this helps shape the larger community making it a better place. We each affect the community simply by being here and that is something that is important to remember.

communities
Date: 2004-04-27 05:43:31
Link to this Comment: 9633

I agree with the fact that it is important to shape the community you are part of. Not only does it make you interact with other members, but also it makes you feel as if you belong to the larger community. I also agree with Professor Martin's comment, that all small communities are connected together, and the way you shape your community could have a great impact on others.

Week 5
Date: 2004-04-27 16:14:22
Link to this Comment: 9645

I agree with Katherine that we do have the opportunity to help shape our environments with our involvement in various communities. I also agree wih her comment that committment and participation are the factors determining how much we impact our communities.

Week 5, 1
Date: 2004-04-27 19:33:39
Link to this Comment: 9649

Community is very important because it helps people keep going in such an intense academic environment. People usually feel a strong need to belong, and the various communities that we belong to give us a source of strength and support whenever we need it. In the high stress atmosphere of Bryn Mawr, this can help us get through the various struggles that we are going through.

Week 5,2
Date: 2004-04-27 19:36:42
Link to this Comment: 9650

The comments made above about impacting the community are very true. There are many communities at Bryn Mawr, but because we are so small, there are many opportunities for making a difference. When students commit to an area or community, and put in the time and effort necessary, it really creates a tight knit community.

communities
Date: 2004-04-29 08:45:17
Link to this Comment: 9675

I think that it is important to shape the communities which we are a part of because if not they will in the end shape us. For example throughout this seminar we have talked alot about how the Bryn Mawr community fosters this very stressed intense working environment, and I believe that its a problem because we are allowing Bryn Mawr and the already set communities to continue in that tradition. Therefore Bryn Mawr will be this kind of place for students as individuals and as a whole until either individually or in groups it is decided to change the almost intensly negative atmoshphere that surrounds academics.

Name:
Date: 2004-04-29 08:48:09
Link to this Comment: 9676

I think that one can shape all the different communities that one is a part of, simply by being a part of them. I think that shaping in some cases is about taking on leadership roles in the organizations one is a part of, and at other times it means just being present and being the backbone of things.

communities
Name: yinnette
Date: 2004-04-29 08:49:24
Link to this Comment: 9677

soorry I keep forgetting to type my name in... the comment above is mine

Entire 5 posts
Name: Kaari
Date: 2004-04-30 02:02:57
Link to this Comment: 9692

1. 3/17/04
My name is Kaari, I'm from Wyncote Pa. I think that "Living Well" means that there is a balance in life. It means that there is time for my work, my friends and myself. Often when there is excess drama in my life, whether it be over-load of work or within realtionships, my living well state tends to fall apart. As a community, I don't really think that there is anything, that as a whole we can do to change this.

2. 4/2/04
Having a postive emotional state makes me a better person. I'm more alert and responsive to others. I feel better about myself and those around me. When things go wrong within my life, I find it extremly diffcult to retain my postive emotional state.

3. 4/11/04
I am extremly lazy. It is hard for me to be motivated to get to class, let alone go to the gym. Therefore I have no fitness routine. Don't get me wrong, I would like one, but the walk to the gym is too far. Perhaps if I lived in a dorm closer to the gym I would be motivated to go. Erdman is too far.

4. 4/15/04
I think that its really important to prioritze the things that are most imporant and then stress over those things. When items are placed into lists than it is easier to see what is really imporant and what isn't.

5. 4/22/04
I think that the communities at Bryn Mawr as diverse as they are, are pretty limited in terms of who belongs to them. Also as a fresh-women, I have no idea if it is possible to shape the communities that people are involved in.

Community
Name: Justina
Date: 2004-05-01 19:13:04
Link to this Comment: 9743

I agree that it is important to shape the communities that you are involved in. You can do this by sharing your thoughts and views with others and being an active participant in what goes on. It is also important to be open to others and be willing to compromise so that you can learn to coexist.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:33 CDT