Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Exploration and Emergence Institute 2003 Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Welcome ...
Name: Serendip
Date: 2003-07-20 10:07:15
Link to this Comment: 6041

Welcome to the Exploration and Emergence forum. Like other on-line forums on Serendip, this is a place not for "formal writing" but rather to share ideas/stories/thoughts in progress. Think of it as "spelling-free, punctuation-free, grammar-free, structure-free". The idea is to have a space where people can focus on ideas/stories/thoughts, without worrying too much about how they're expressed. So relax, say what you're thinking so others (in the Institute and elsewhere) can learn from it, read what others in the Institute are thinking for whatever new thoughts it triggers in you. And let's see where we go.

THE STORY OF YOUR NAME
Name: Anne Dalke
Date: 2003-07-20 23:45:15
Link to this Comment: 6044

The first story we'd like you to tell in this space is the story of your name:

what is it? do you like it? where did it come from? how many people do you know with your name?

Here's my story: I was named "Anne" for my mother's best friend. A year after I was born, the Queen of England had a daughter whom she named "Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise Victoria." My grandmother would call me that whenever she was feeling particularly fond of or irritated w/ me. I liked sharing my name w/ a princess. I liked BEING the princess in my family (I was the first child and first girl). But I hated how common my name was, and my mother's insisting on the "English E" on the end, rather than the more common American "Ann," didn't help @ all.

I preferred my middle name, "Elizabeth"--it seemed more unusual, more romantic. And you could make all sorts of nicknames out of it: Liz and Beth and Betsy and Betty and...

My family got their last name, "French" when they invaded England w/ William the Conquerer in 1066. It was when they arrived in England that they were distinguishable as French-people.

My married name is "Dalke"; it means "little valley" in German ("tal"=valley; "ke" is a diminiutive). Sounds pretty, but this name has been nothing but trouble for me: no one can pronounce it or say it right the first time; ever since I took it (31 years ago) I've been wishing for the simplicity of "French," which everyone got right the first time.

Writing this, it seems curious: I didn't like my first name, because it was so common. I did like my last name, because it was so common. There's a contradition here.

name origin
Name: Dawn
Date: 2003-07-21 09:39:57
Link to this Comment: 6045

My first name, Dawn, doesn't have much of a story behind it-- my mom liked the name. My middle name is the combination of my 2 grandmother's names-- one named Annie and the other named Nettie--Annette. My last name comes from my father, Mackey.

the reasons
Name: dawn
Date: 2003-07-21 09:46:19
Link to this Comment: 6046

Growing up I didn't like any of my names for various reasons, my first and middle because they sounded old. I didn't like my last name because the children made up mean rhymes like- "blackey mackey". As an adult my first name is okay; I'm proud of my middle name and my last name is simply "Mickey" with an "A"!

Name
Name: Mo
Date: 2003-07-21 09:46:45
Link to this Comment: 6047

My name is RaMona Adams. I teach 8th grade science among other things at Turner Middle School. My name was given to me by my father, James Adams. He named me after one of his many sweethearts oversees. Yes, Poppa was a rolling stone. He was in the Marines and traveled constantly. I wonder what my name would have been if this sweetheart had been from Japan. I don't like the name because I was teased and called Mona Lisa. My middle name is not Lisa. My mother gave me Michelle as a middle name. I have no idea where she got it from. My parents argued over my name because Mom wanted Michelle to be my first name. Guess who lost?

my name
Name: Marita Wag
Date: 2003-07-21 09:50:55
Link to this Comment: 6048

My name is Marita. My mother found my name in a book. For many years I did not know what what kind of name it was. It sounds Spanish but
hispanic people have never heard of it. I met nuns with the same name. I thought maybe it was Irish. I asked a native of Ireland. He had not heard of it. I met an Indian who had lived in Finland who said he had had a girl friend there who was named Marita. Last summer I flew on Finlandia Airline. I asked the flight attendants if it was a Finnish name and they said it was. More recently I was searching for pictures on picsearch and just for fun typed in MARITA. I got a lot of entries--some Finnish or Finnish-Russian.

Claudette's name
Name: Claudette
Date: 2003-07-21 09:51:51
Link to this Comment: 6049

I am not familiar with the meaning of my name, however my mother decided to name me after the movie actress Claudette Colbert. Mom said she just liked the name. I guess I ought to learn its significance. It hasn't been very important to research it as it does not define who I am.

My middle name La'Verne was adopted from my mother's roommate in college.
Needless to say I don't particularly care for either name. I was always the last person in line, to get called upon for school responsibilities,etc. I could never find a key chain or any trinket at the shops in Atlantic City or any travel gift shop. My name has nine letters. Even now when I have to complete applications many letters are deleted. So therefore THE ORIGIN OF CLAUDETTE LA'VERNE WILLIAMS-STONE IS NOT an Urgent matter to define.

My Name
Name:
Date: 2003-07-21 09:52:08
Link to this Comment: 6050

My name is Sylvia which means wood nymph from Latin. I was named for a
close family friend whose daughter was named Sylvia. As a child it was
always fun to find others with the same name to see if we shared anything
in common. Sometimes I still do that! Most of my friends call me Sylvia
rather than a shorthen form of the name. Lately I sometimes will use my
middle name Ann when writing my name.

introduction
Name: Brian Mali
Date: 2003-07-21 09:52:33
Link to this Comment: 6051

My name is Brian Malin.. My name means strong in the Irish language but I am not Irish. My parents liked the name and so I use it all the time now. I am of English and Russian descent so I don't know who picked out the name Brian.

The Story of My Name
Name: Mitch Schw
Date: 2003-07-21 09:54:03
Link to this Comment: 6052

My parents named me "Mitchell". When I was old enough to go to school I found out that there were a zillion little boys named Michael, but no other Mitchells. Hmmm. I would much prefer to have been given the more popular name but my family's culture made that impossible. Using the Jewish tradition of naming worked against me in two ways: firstly, no child can be named after a living family member. Well, my father's name is Milton, so there's no problem there, but secondly, every person named in this tradition gets a Hebrew name and a secular name. My father's Hebrew name is Michael which,as luck would have it, is the same in Hebrew as in English. Therefore, giving me the name Michael would have been naming me after my father, which would never do.
When I was old enough to read I looked the meaning of my name in one of those little books expectant parents use to select one for their child. Under Mitchell, it said: "derivative of Michael". Grrrr.
Incidentally, I use the shortened form of my name, Mitch. I encourage all reading this to do the same.

My Name: How Did Get It
Name: Lois
Date: 2003-07-21 09:54:15
Link to this Comment: 6053

To the best of my rememberance, I was named by my mother's older sister who liked the name. My mother had already felt confident that if she had a girl (they didnot have the modern technology like ultra - sound) to name me Sylvia. So in order that she would honor her older sister's request, she named me Lois and put Sylvia in the middle.
While in school I really didn"t like my name. First, and foremost there were no other color/black students with that name. I believe that the name is of Irish Origen. Research have revealed that my name meant "warrior", while in the Asian culture is mean" a beautiful flower".You may safely assumed that I have well adjusted to my name. It is very ironic though how many of people like to refer to me as, Delores, or Dee. They believed that my name is short for this name.
Although my name is a simple four letter name spelling, you will be suprised at how many people are unable to pronounce my name correctly (that includes my mother ), or spell it correctly.They spell it " Louis". Well like the cat on one of my favorite commercial, I say, " Whatever", and move on.

My Name: How Did Get It
Date: 2003-07-21 09:54:33
Link to this Comment: 6054

To the best of my rememberance, I was named by my mother's older sister who liked the name. My mother had already felt confident that if she had a girl (they didnot have the modern technology like ultra - sound) to name me Sylvia. So in order that she would honor her older sister's request, she named me Lois and put Sylvia in the middle.
While in school I really didn"t like my name. First, and foremost there were no other color/black students with that name. I believe that the name is of Irish Origen. Research have revealed that my name meant "warrior", while in the Asian culture is mean" a beautiful flower".You may safely assumed that I have well adjusted to my name. It is very ironic though how many of people like to refer to me as, Delores, or Dee. They believed that my name is short for this name.
Although my name is a simple four letter name spelling, you will be suprised at how many people are unable to pronounce my name correctly (that includes my mother ), or spell it correctly.They spell it " Louis". Well like the cat on one of my favorite commercial, I say, " Whatever", and move on.

What's in a Name?
Name: Sheila
Date: 2003-07-21 09:55:20
Link to this Comment: 6055

My name is Sheila Maureen Burnette Michael. I often hear my name spoken in a sing song rhyme as if it's one word "SheilaMichael"! My father liked the actress name Sheila--I don't remember her last name. I was given Maureen after two auntie's, "Maurice and Marie". My maiden name Burnette can be traced back to the Slave plantation and my father's great great grandfather, but our name has many variation throughout my family in southern Virginia--Burnett, Burnetti, Burnet, and Burnette. My married name "Michael" can be traced to the slave plantation also, with many variations throughout our South Carolina family--Mikel, Michel and Michael. The variations of our family names did not diminish the family in any way. Formal education during the early 1900's for rural African Americans was rare. During the depression our families were cash poor. Many of my ancestors learned to read and write, but did not continue formal education beyond the eighth grade, thus the variations of the names. (farming)

my name
Name: Regina Tos
Date: 2003-07-21 09:55:36
Link to this Comment: 6056

Why my mother named me "Regina" is a mystery to me. My baptismal name is "Regina Frances". Frances is the middle name of 8 of my siblings, and the first name of my eldest sister. It is also the middle name of my 4 nephews. In some Catholic families, the children are given the name of a saint that the parents have a devotion to. In this case, the saint was Frances X. Cabrini, who was the first American (naturalized) to become a saint. My mother has several statues of her throughout her house, and insists that we (her children) wear a medal of Mother Cabrini when we are traveling long distances. Even though one sibling practices Wicca, another is a Mormon, and one an avowed atheist, we all all expected to continue the devotion.
I do not meet to many other "Reginas". I can count on one hand the number of women I know who share my name. I always enjoy my name since it comes from the Latin word for "queen". The only problem is I do not know what I am queen of. If I had to pick something I think I want to be "Queen of Trouble"

What's in a Name
Name: Geraldine
Date: 2003-07-21 09:56:11
Link to this Comment: 6057

My name is Geraldine and I really don't know what it means. I can tell you that the G stands for Generous, the E stands for Energetic, the R stands for always Ready for a challenge, the a stands for sometimes Autistic, but I'm actually a Visual learner. the L stands for Leader in allthe things I do, the D stands for Dynamic, the I stands for Interesting, the N stands for the Nice person that I am, and the last E standsfor Enthusiastic. I am always anxious to learn new things and I know that i have the Intererpersonal ,and Intrapersonal skills needed to move ahead. I'm always looking for new cheese!

The Name Game
Name: Wendy L. M
Date: 2003-07-21 09:56:26
Link to this Comment: 6058

My name is Wendy Lee Marr

I was name after my father's mother. Her name is Willie Lee Marr.
Grandma Willie didn't care for her first name because people ofter mistook her for a boy/man. So she changed Willie to another "W"-Wendy. My mother was okay with the first name but she wanted to change the spelling of the middle name from 'Lee-to-Leigh'. Yet the nurse wrote this middle name as 'Lee'.

I looked up my name whilst I in high school. This is what was found:
Wendy- Derived from Wanda 'for wanderer'.

Now-a-days, I prefer my first initial with my middle name. Why? I don't want to be pigeon-holed for just female job opportunities.

I am a wanderer of sorts.
I've lived in the following places: Virginia, Maryland, Wash., DC, and Pennsylvania.

MARLENE
Name: Marlene Ta
Date: 2003-07-21 09:57:20
Link to this Comment: 6059

Hi,

Acccause it had a ring to itrding to my Mother, she chose to name me Marlene because her mother was named Martha. She took the "Mar" from Martha and and Lene from a cousin named Lena and BINGO she came up with Marlene. (No middle name).

Basically, its not a very interesting story or for that matter my name. I never really cared for my name. I can remember calling myself Rebecca because I thought it had a classy sound to it.

It wasn,t until I became married that I realized that my maiden name would be cool for a middle name..........

What's Up w/ the Name?
Name: Alicia
Date: 2003-07-21 10:00:21
Link to this Comment: 6060

Alicia:
it's the name that my dad gave me, in honor of his favorite sister.
I liked my name, because it meant a lot to my dad. I knew my aunt, and I like her. I like sharing her name.

introduction
Name: Joan K. Jo
Date: 2003-07-21 10:01:08
Link to this Comment: 6061

Hi. My name is Joan. Joan Kathryn really - but usually Joan is the name I typically use. My mom explained to me the family history of my name when I complained to her about it when I was six years old. My name was to honor both of my grandmothers. Joan was for her mother Johanna, and Kathryn was for my dad's mom. Joan is the feminine of the Hebrew name John - which meant God's precious gift. Kathryn was for an Irish saint. My mom told me that every child deserved their own name - different from all others. So she shortened Johanna (Lithuanian) and combined it with Kathryn (Irish)to give me a name that honored two women from different cultures united forever in me and my name. I stopped complaining about my name. Moms are smart.

...in my name...
Name: Geneva E.
Date: 2003-07-21 10:01:22
Link to this Comment: 6062

Good Morning!
My father took the charge of naming me to heart. Our surname, Tolliferreo, is Cuban from Italian decent. My father's father was born in San Tiago, Cuba. The family migrated there from Italy. How they settled in Virgina is unbeknownst to me.

My first name is Geneva, truly taken from the city and lake. I have lived a life of loving the shore salt waters. My father was feeling regal at the time and coupled this with Elizabeth. Having served in World War II, he was quite taken with England. I believe this to be true, because I fell in love with the island before I went to live in London to study at the London College of Fashion. I have since returned to Cambridge to study for a brief period at the university. The fact that my father's mother was Black and British certainly has significance influence.

So you see it truly is all in my name...

My mother's family influence has surfaced in my nickname, which is a whole other sermon for another Sunday. My maternal family is from Georgia, with a slave heritage for a Jewish family. Yes, she has American Indian influence as well, so yes slaves included American Indians.

Our names, in order of "popularity"
Date: 2003-07-21 10:28:41
Link to this Comment: 6063

(based on how many people knew others w/ our name)
in order
from most popular
Lois
Brian
Joan
Wendy
Geraldine
Marlene
Ramona
Dawn
Regina
Sylvia
Marita
Claudette
Sheila
Alicia
Mitchell
Geneva
to most "uncommon"

name
Name: Antoinette
Date: 2003-07-21 13:13:06
Link to this Comment: 6064

Hello! My name is Antoinette. When I was born my brothers Anthony and Rodney both wanted me to be named after them. My parents, knowing that they were not planning to have any more children decieded to name me after bith of them...so my parents named me Anoinette Ronda.

When I got married last year, beacuse all of my teaching stuff was in Sisco, I just adderd my married name.

What's in a Name
Date: 2003-07-21 13:16:05
Link to this Comment: 6065

My name is Geraldine and I really don't know what it means. I can tell you that the G stands for Generous, the E stands for Energetic, the R stands for always Ready for a challenge, the a stands for sometimes Autistic, but I'm actually a Visual learner. the L stands for Leader in allthe things I do, the D stands for Dynamic, the I stands for Interesting, the N stands for the Nice person that I am, and the last E standsfor Enthusiastic. I am always anxious to learn new things and I know that i have the Intererpersonal ,and Intrapersonal skills needed to move ahead. I'm always looking for new cheese!

to write about
Name: serendip
Date: 2003-07-21 14:43:26
Link to this Comment: 6066

MARLENE
Name: Marlene Ta
Date: 2003-07-21 14:50:39
Link to this Comment: 6067

Hi,

Acccause it had a ring to itrding to my Mother, she chose to name me Marlene because her mother was named Martha. She took the "Mar" from Martha and and Lene from a cousin named Lena and BINGO she came up with Marlene. (No middle name).

Basically, its not a very interesting story or for that matter my name. I never really cared for my name. I can remember calling myself Rebecca because I thought it had a classy sound to it.

It wasn,t until I became married that I realized that my maiden name would be cool for a middle name..........

Name: dawn
Date: 2003-07-21 14:59:22
Link to this Comment: 6068

In the drawing I see a chess match gone awry. The pyramids are spewing out our colorful imagination, so that we now are able to access them. The chess board represents the organize-ness of life and we are the pyramids. From us comes many different, colorful things, oft times in a mass of confusion.(Just like this confused, colorful story)

Name:
Date: 2003-07-21 15:00:49
Link to this Comment: 6069

The picture describes colorful energy emerging from geometrical shapes that are placed on black and white squares. How the three dimensional world looks when an idea is born.

reaction to picture
Name: Marita Wag
Date: 2003-07-21 15:01:04
Link to this Comment: 6070

I see reciprocal powerful movement either erupting from or compressing down into the pyramids on a checkerboard. The lower portion of the picture seems very structured in contrast to the upper "unleashed" portion.

Date: 2003-07-21 15:01:50
Link to this Comment: 6071

The picture is how we make order from chaos. The multi-colored swirl above the chessboard represents the sensory data concerning the outside world. The chess pieces represent people who make observations, then organize the observations into conclusions, and based on these conclusions, people decide upon their next move. It is an on-going process, with sensory data changing. Therefore, conclusions have to change.

Modern Art
Date: 2003-07-21 15:03:07
Link to this Comment: 6072

In the picture, I see learning coming from"out there" into the mind of the chess player. I also see the chess player impacting the "out there" or the collective knowledge of the art/skill/challenges of playing chess. Life is a lot like that, our experiences impact the social/spiritual/collective of our society and reciprocally our society also impacts the social/spiritual/collective of who we are as individuals. In short, from my perspective, the picture demonstrates that we are not alone, God created the conscious, and we are able then to understand/learn/make connections to people and things outside of ourselves.

cwstone
Date: 2003-07-21 15:03:08
Link to this Comment: 6073

"Evolving Energy"

Achieving a goal at some point begins in order; Then it spirals upward and outward which can appear chaotic but expansive.

Metamorphasis
Date: 2003-07-21 15:05:19
Link to this Comment: 6074

The picture, to me seems to be forever changing. It seems to have a pattern of movement that is always trying to find the end of something. The further away the pieces get they seem to dissapear in the continuing billows of smoke. It is almost like infinity, because you don't know where the end is.

Picturestory
Date: 2003-07-21 15:05:52
Link to this Comment: 6075

This interdimensional chessboard forms a foundation for the pyramids that project worlds composed of random patterns of elements. Those fortunate enough to see this representation of the universe are left with a few imposing questions:
1. Are the funnels of colors emerging from the pyramids or creating the pyramids?
2. What is formed by the merging of the funnels of colors?
3. Is it a chessboard or a checkerboard?

Picture Me this, Picture Me That
Name: Wendy
Date: 2003-07-21 15:09:55
Link to this Comment: 6076

Making order out of chaos.

A synthesis of information.

The blue pyramids are teachers who have taken in all this knowledge in order that they may disseminate this knowledge in a way that the student squares can understand.

This is a abstract design print done in math class as a project for geometry. This student wanted to portray their confusion at the beginning of the geometry unit. Now, the student has a clear understanding of space figures. The student also wanted the instructor to know that he/she liked the pyramids, squares, and triangles. This student has also shown their grasp of perspective

Serendip
Name:
Date: 2003-07-21 15:10:20
Link to this Comment: 6077

I see the chess board as life and the individual squares on the chess board as the choices you can takeand have available in your life. The patterns on the chess board consist of columns and rows which represent the different directions you can take and the paths available to you based on the direction you are traveling in. The pyramids you encounter on the chess board are the opportunities that cross your path. The funnel, and wind-clouds, protruding from the chess board represent the test and trials you come up against once you accept-or-reject opportunity. The atmosphere that surrouds the decisions and the direction you take in the paths of your life represent the spirit within and the calmness or peace you transmit through interaction. If you are in crisis you transmits turmoil-- if at peace you transmit joy.

picture
Name: brian mali
Date: 2003-07-21 15:10:40
Link to this Comment: 6078

The mixing of thoughts and ideas from various separate sources otherwise constricted to a two dimentional chess board like surface.The mixing generates a richer and more diverse combination of ever expanding ideas and possibilites. A sum greater than the whole.

a pattern of Developement : Into What I donot Know
Date: 2003-07-21 15:10:48
Link to this Comment: 6079

I see a picture of a group of bluish/purple color prymids spirling upwardly its colors which emergences into this yellow circle. Out of this circle the colors continue to spiral into a larger mixture of both the yellow and purple/bluish colors, creating a pattern of sprinkles that continue upward.

colorful explosion
Name:
Date: 2003-07-21 15:10:58
Link to this Comment: 6080

There are several, four to be exact exploding pyramids. The pyramids are resting on a chess board like piece of platform. The platform is in a dust filled room that is unreconstruction. In an attempt to keep the workers honest, the employer placed the boobietrapped wanna be chess game in the room. The pyramids were rigged to explode and spitting out ribbons of colorful ink when tampered with.

Game of life
Name: Joan Johns
Date: 2003-07-21 15:12:31
Link to this Comment: 6081

In the game of life, we concrete mortals can soar into the etheral realm of the non-concrete via the energy of ideas. There we fly into the heights of freedom - where thoughts move at the speed of light, creating a rainbow of wavelenghts of illumination. Where we can escape the bland, confines of our mortal matter and tornado thoughts that expand in ever widening circles as we ascend higher into the nebulla of our primordial solar space. Our identity broadens to encompass the energy and forces of ultimate creativity and connection to the origin of the universe.

Picturenation
Name: sylvia
Date: 2003-07-21 15:14:58
Link to this Comment: 6082

Life is like a game of chess(checkers. We make our moves in life based on influences around us (family, experiences, etc.) The moves we make and
the tools we usd to make the moves can lead us in many different directions. Our lives take on their color and meaning based on the choices we make. What to some may seem like confusion may be an exciting palette
of color (color representing opportunity). Where we end up on the board
of life indicates what we did with these opportunties.

Tuesday morning's questions
Date: 2003-07-21 18:07:05
Link to this Comment: 6083

Friends--

Welcome (back). We're delighted you joined us for Monday's session, and are even more delighted that you've returned for more!

Let's start off today (as we will start most of our morning sessions this week and next) by telling one another what we learned yesterday:

I was myself delighted by our rich conversations, learned a lot from our talking together, and am hoping that we can return to a number of the key notes we struck:

Date: 2003-07-21 18:22:14
Link to this Comment: 6085

We're currently reading the latest Harry Potter novel at our house. All of the novels are set at a special boarding school for wizards,called "Hogwarts". In this installment, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", a teacher responds to Harry's complaint that she is teaching only the theory of magic rather than its practical application. She invokes the name of the Ministry of Magic, an agency that has assumed control of the school from its headmaster and says, in reply,

"Now it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination which, after all, is what school is all about."

The echoes of a beaurocratic takeover and passing the test as the objective of education have me convinced that there's a world out there outside of Philadelphiaz, Pennsylvania. What do you think?

Life, education, and the unconscious
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2003-07-21 18:39:15
Link to this Comment: 6086

For Mitch:

I think there's very little new under the sun, except perhaps for the increasing recognition that something new is needed, maybe even describeable/achievable? Here's Charles Dickens on education in Hard Times (1850's England):

"You are to be in all things regulated and governed," said the gentleman, "by fact. We hope to have, before long, a board of fact, composed of commissioners of fact, who will force the people to be a people of fact, and of nothing but fact. You must discard the word Fancy altogether. You have nothing to do with it."

For Anne (et al): Language is ... a problem. "make observations" was loose language but it is certainly so that without consciousness one can gather information, infer patterns, collect new information, change the pattern inferred. All living things do this, almost invariably without "thinking" or "being aware" of what they are doing. To put it differently, one can meaningfully "make observations" without "experience"ing the making of them. So yeah, using language loosely, one can observe without experiencing. I think.

Name:
Date: 2003-07-22 09:30:49
Link to this Comment: 6087

Everyone brings to the table differences. The uniqueness of our perceptions and the manner in which we express and receive them--is different, this is exactly what educators need to bring to the diverse group of learners in the classroom.

Firts Day Experience
Date: 2003-07-22 09:31:01
Link to this Comment: 6088

Yesterdays experience was good. It provided more insight on Science and Patterns that stretched my thought processes more on a conscious level. I'm always looking for new cheese.

Just Thinking
Name:
Date: 2003-07-22 09:31:24
Link to this Comment: 6089

The first day, just like so many other first days. It was a day filled with apprehension and anxiety; but I got through it and it was interesting and fun. I've always been interested in number and letter patterns,blocks and other patterns of such are a strain on my eyes. What I liked most about yesterday's class was the observation of the Sharon Burgmayer picture. It's interesting how we all looked at the same image, yet came away from it with such varied responses. The idea that the picture represented some aspect of life for so many fascinated me as well. As the participants read their comments I saw a pattern emerging. Was the seed for finding a pattern in the picture planted and did I miss it?

No thoughts. . .
Date: 2003-07-22 09:31:28
Link to this Comment: 6090

Yesterday was interesting and informative.

Monday's Session
Name: Mitch
Date: 2003-07-22 09:36:07
Link to this Comment: 6091

It's good to be back at Bryn Mawr, where the brain is held in such high esteem. I think that the unifying or underlying idea of Emergence(as well as Brain and Behavior) is to shape educational practice to the way the brain works and then let it work.
I was struck by the many ways that learning took place in collaboration: decoding the colored shapes on the screen, finding Serendip, etc.
I think that the unconscious is pattern-seeking all of the time, as a thermostat seeks to find the ideal temperature.

Patterns
Name: Regina
Date: 2003-07-22 09:36:24
Link to this Comment: 6092

What struck me yesterday are the varied interpretations to the picture. The different opinions allowed me to view the picture from a different perspective. I think the patterns that we see (at least are initial ones) are influence from our life experiences, and the mood we are in at that time. Yes, some patterns are imposed from nature (weather patterns, movement of the planets, etc.), but we impose the vast majority of patterns. I will also go out on a limb and suggest that the patterns we impose on the world are the ones we can change if we want to. I will also suggest that changing patterns is the most important work we do as educators.

The First Day's Experience
Date: 2003-07-22 09:37:38
Link to this Comment: 6093

Day 1/July 21, 2003
Boy, oh boy! I was out of it. Meaning, this was my second class since the end of the 2002-2003 SY.
That said, the information was good, the comraderie was needed, and the computer experience was timely.

PS- Forgive my tiredness :(

comments
Date: 2003-07-22 09:39:49
Link to this Comment: 6094

I was intrigued by the thoughts that other people in the room had on the picture in Mondays session. I would not have conceived the response in the same way that others conceived their responses. It was interesting to see their responses. it was interesting to see how experiences influence their perception of patterns they see in pictures and other activities.

scientific method vs.summary of observations
Date: 2003-07-22 09:40:01
Link to this Comment: 6095

I found it interesting to look at the scientific method(inquiry) as a summary of observations that evolve over time. The summary of observations suggest we cannot become stagnate but dynamic ever changing, making new discoveries, reviewing, revisiting,etc.

Comments
Date: 2003-07-22 09:40:08
Link to this Comment: 6096

Good Morning!
Very interesting sessions yesterday. I particularly found the name game very interesting, I was able to share the information with my mother.
The emergence pieces we've discussed was an eyeopener.There are patterns emerging but the "conscienous" has yet to inform the "unconscienous" to emerge together for the common good of the class.
Oh well! It is only the second day of class, be patience with me.

First Day
Name: Sylvia
Date: 2003-07-22 09:40:28
Link to this Comment: 6097

I enjoyed the name game and thought that it would be a good opening exercise for the first day of school.

It was interesting to listen to the various interpretations of the drawing
and to compare our responses to that of the artists.

Paul's redefining of Science was very good and helped to give me a new way of viewing Science and presenting it to my students.

Review: Day#1
Name: JK Johnsto
Date: 2003-07-22 09:41:11
Link to this Comment: 6098

Yesterday was enjoyable for many reasons for me. In response to your inquiry, I think that patterns are present in just about everything I've ever encountered. I have observed that positive or negative is a subjective response of the observer to a situation - but the patterns are there irregardless of the interpretation. Free will versus destiny has been hotly debated forever - why not free will designs destiny.

YESTERDAY!!!!!!!
Name:
Date: 2003-07-22 10:07:50
Link to this Comment: 6099

Its 8:00, and I,m literally falling out of the bed. Trying to get my baringsm while wondering why did you commit to this workshop?? While in this thought, I suddenly heard a loud ringing siren like sound and realized oops.....the alarm was tripped. I waiteed for the "are you alright call", which never came I proceeded to try and get focused with my cup of coffee. Without too much more unsolicted details, the next thing I hear is a lou8d knocking on the door....the police and Gerry Brown. Thats it I thought!

When we finally arrived it was 9:30 and

response to Anne's question
Name: Marita
Date: 2003-07-22 10:08:28
Link to this Comment: 6100

When your nervous system receives stimuli it is making an observation. This "information" is then collated with other incoming stimuli/ information. Information that arrives close in time to other stimuli may be perceived as related even though it may not related in actuality. Because most information that is related does occur together this is a good model for processing /linking "events" (for example, you press a button and hear a sound--this is interpreted as a causal relationship). As long as we continue to receive stimuli in a consistent way we continue to "think" that our "observation" is true. However, our most basic perceptions of which we may not even be aware are engaged in these sort of processes constantly. continued elsewhere..

Image by Sharon Burgmayer
Name: Randal Hol
Date: 2003-07-22 11:01:23
Link to this Comment: 6101

Perhaps, what one considers as separate and distinct entities appear as such only when viewed on a simplistic level. As one scans upward on the image, one would expect the pyramids to focus to a series of infinitely small lines. However, what we see is not simply a bunch of upwardly linear extensions. Rather, we see an incoherent merging of these upward extensions. It is in this area where we make observations about our world and experience true learning.

Going Exploring with NetLogo and TWiki
Date: 2003-07-22 17:35:21
Link to this Comment: 6102

Welcome Back to Day 3 of Exploring Emergence!

Yesterday we shared two new sets of tools for exploring the phenomenon of emergence with with you: NetLogo and TWiki. We'll be more than curious to hear what your initial reactions were to both kinds of "toys":

(As always, any other generally relevant/on-going/emerging thoughts are also welcome!)

Anne, Doug and Kim

tuesday
Name:
Date: 2003-07-23 08:48:49
Link to this Comment: 6103

it was okay. I learned alot more and I'm beginning to see the bigger picture.

Classroom useful?
Date: 2003-07-23 09:14:44
Link to this Comment: 6104

I enjoyed the NetLogo and TWikki. I can seeing trying to use the Twikki for students, but I would have to play with the NetLogo a little longer in order to see its use for my class. Of course with 1 computer and 25 students it would be hard to accomplish things in a timely fashion. But I guess the Twikki helps expedite things.

July 23rd-Reflections
Date: 2003-07-23 09:30:28
Link to this Comment: 6105

Ummm. Yesterday was great. Knowledge and experience gained was astounding. I could not get enough of the HTML lingo. It was as if a golden key was passed onto me. I became aware of the meanings of many symbols I'd seen within my e-mail as I'd enter a reply.

It bring tears to my eyes to think of my students, and how information is constantly watering their minds(seeds). Days, months, maybe years go by, and yet the 'seeds' have not taken root. Then, one day, someone gives them a 'golden key' and all the stored water within the seed, erupts; sending tens, hundereds, even thousands of 'roots' branching out and connecting prior knowledge and experiences.

Thanks for the invaluable knowledge shared with me and my collegues.

Tuesday at Bryn Mawr
Date: 2003-07-23 09:32:24
Link to this Comment: 6106

I didn't get much out of NetLogo yet. I expect to revisit it and see what possibilities are there.
Twiki, on the other hand, was like eating peanuts. It was hard to put down the mouse and stop playing with it. There are a lot of places out there on the Internet to create your own personal hangout-- Nicenet offers messageboards that can be turned into classrooms and Filamentality lets you create an interactive web activity with hyperlinks, but it's all text. TWiki is a welcome addition to my bag of tricks. When I take my students into the computer lab and turn them loose on TWiki, they'll teach me how to take it to the next level.

Netlogo
Date: 2003-07-23 09:35:24
Link to this Comment: 6107

I enjoyed Netlogo and T-Wiki. I am interested in learning about Netlogo and how to utilize it in the classsroom to stimulate problem solving, inquiry, exploration,etc. and have fun.

Yesterday
Date: 2003-07-23 09:36:28
Link to this Comment: 6108

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they've gone the Wiki way. Oh I believe in yesterday.

Wednesday comments
Date: 2003-07-23 09:39:04
Link to this Comment: 6109

The exhibits on NetLogo really gave some good examples of emergence and showed how various factors influenced it. I didn't get to try out all of the sites. I'm glad we don't have to calculate all the underlying mathematics involved. I guess it would be a good exercise for a higher level math class.
TWiki would be useful as an introduction to web-page making--a "gateway drug" into html. I think students would be thrilled to use it.

Day 3 Response
Date: 2003-07-23 09:47:08
Link to this Comment: 6110

Yesterday's session was interesting. The short cuts that Doug showed us on TWiki was helpful.
While I was at home I had to tune back into my classroom experiences with the students. I realized that the "emergencin" process was one that I have use a lot with my second and third graders, many of life skills "right" and "wrong" practices stemed from this mode.
These practices of "emergence" and "experience" I believe is used by a large percentage of our teachers unknowingly, but not knowingly in the use of the lingo used here in the summer institute.

Twiki and NetLogo
Date: 2003-07-23 09:47:20
Link to this Comment: 6111

I was a little curious about what was driving the behavior of the images depicted in NetLogo. It is interesting to note that out of chaotic behaviors demonstrated by similar entities an almost harmonic behavior emerges in the presence of a group. What I found lacking was the absence of an accompanying explantion that would satisfy my curious about why entities behave in this manner. I mean if the programming that mimics the action is based on simple human observation, it still does not offer an adquate explanation of this behavior. Students are going to wonder why patterns develop even if they concur that these patterns emerge when they recall their own personal observations.

To be continued .......

My comment:
Date: 2003-07-23 09:50:18
Link to this Comment: 6112

Yesterday was indeed a nice experience. I had an experience with Logo about 7 year ago, but I really don't remember too much about it. I do know that with technology being one of the" BUZZ" words in the 21st century that Logo along with other computer based programs will help make learning fun and address all Learning Styles.

Twiki
Date: 2003-07-23 09:52:34
Link to this Comment: 6113

I have difficulty working with computers and enjoyed using the Twiki
method to form a document. My problem is practice. Like anything else
the more I practice in theory I should get better.

Net Logo?
Name: Miss Genev
Date: 2003-07-23 09:53:42
Link to this Comment: 6114

Good Morning!
I have kept up with this institute for the most part, as well as the preceeding session. However, I am not sure how we are to utilize NetLogo in this process. Please clarify. Thanks.

I appreciate the experience we are getting in setting up our web page, as I have been developing a business site, which ties in to our sessions. I offer educational consultations, especially for Special Education students and their parents. This is one aspect of my parent company, Sovereign.

Finding links have prompted me to delve into sources relative to the needs of my clients, as well as create these pages. Thanks for the freedom to explore.

Thanks for helping me help others...our living must not be selfish, as we are our brothers/sisters keeper.

Net Logo?
Date: 2003-07-23 09:53:54
Link to this Comment: 6115

Good Morning!
I have kept up with this institute for the most part, as well as the preceeding session. However, I am not sure how we are to utilize NetLogo in this process. Please clarify. Thanks.

I appreciate the experience we are getting in setting up our web page, as I have been developing a business site, which ties in to our sessions. I offer educational consultations, especially for Special Education students and their parents. This is one aspect of my parent company, Sovereign.

Finding links have prompted me to delve into sources relative to the needs of my clients, as well as create these pages. Thanks for the freedom to explore.

Thanks for helping me help others...our living must not be selfish, as we are our brothers/sisters keeper.

Review of Day#2
Name: JKJohnston
Date: 2003-07-23 10:05:38
Link to this Comment: 6116

Greetings! Both TWIKI and Netlogo were new and very engaging for me. My experiences with them were both enjoyable and frustrating. I found myself challenaged by TWiki especially. I can very much see myself utilizing both of these formats with my students. The practice-exercise for Twiki allowed me to try some approaches to an old lab I usually do with my students. I liked the interaction with the system, but, I enjoyed the interaction with my neighbors and instructors as well. I felt engrossed with what I was doing and amazed at how fast the time flew. The experience was definetly engaging and when I "emerged" I knew my curiosity had been "Twiki-ed".

software
Date: 2003-07-23 10:05:41
Link to this Comment: 6117

I loved the "toys" of NetLogo and TWiki. Netlogo allows you visualize in a short period of time patterns forming and changing. It holds your interest. TWiki allows you to create and personalize your web site so you can easily ajust the site to meet changing needs. NetLogo is a great starting point to elicit discussion on patterns in the real world for my students and whether patterns are there or in our minds. TWiki is an exploration that will take me many years into the future.

My Thoughts
Name: Marlene
Date: 2003-07-23 10:11:34
Link to this Comment: 6118

There were some pluses and minuses to the Net Logo. The good...it has given insight into what goes on behind "The computer Door". For example Paul using the analogy of the consious verses the unconsious, really connected for me the relationship between the mouse and links, as they related to the need to create tags inorder to use software.

social insects
Name: marlene
Date: 2003-07-23 14:01:24
Link to this Comment: 6119

Fascinating! Just imagine ants have instincts that they follow when they move called pheromones....they arbitrarally stumble onto their food source. Its a form or system that they use to communicate as well as their existence. Using my classroom as a analogy, I have noticed that my students have a similiar system, in that they seem to attract certain individuals in their cooperative groups.

Although I never assign them to a particular group, they seem to know instinctly which grouping would be best for them. There seem to be one person in the group who sorta set the pace, and the rest of the group members are comfortable following their lead.

social insects
Date: 2003-07-23 15:04:59
Link to this Comment: 6120

Fascinating! Just imagine ants have instincts that they follow when they move called pheromones....they arbitrarally stumble onto their food source. Its a form or system that they use to communicate as well as their existence. Using my classroom as a analogy, I have noticed that my students have a similiar system, in that they seem to attract certain individuals in their cooperative groups.

Although I never assign them to a particular group, they seem to know instinctly which grouping would be best for them. There seem to be one person in the group who sorta set the pace, and the rest of the group members are comfortable following their lead.

Wednesday
Date: 2003-07-23 16:00:29
Link to this Comment: 6122

The discussions about Ants and Plants makes me think about group behavior,especially even when no clear rules or outcomes are stated. I have seen in groups of educators, students, families, churches, and other social organizations, that people tend to follow certain patterns of behavior, even whan not communicated verbally. Sometimes we select the people in which we do not mind being in close proximity to all on an unconscious level. These patterns as they expand later can determine our neighborhoods, community and ect. "Just remember an ant can move a rubber tree plant."

Ants and Plants: What Do you Think??
Date: 2003-07-23 16:03:51
Link to this Comment: 6123

Well, before we get going into Day 4...
what did you come away with, from Day 3??
What did you learn, what are you still trying to make sense of
...amidst all that Panama showed us about social insects:

...and amidst all that Ted showed us about ...and amidst what they both/we all taught one another about
  • what rules govern growth and change?
  • how useful computer models are, for telling us about the world?
  • whether we can learn from them what is "sufficient" for patterns to emerge?
  • how "sophisticated" mechanisms have to be, to get sophisticated results? Looking forward to hearing what we all are thinking-- Anne

• wednesday
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-24 08:51:38
    Link to this Comment: 6124

Nice. I still don't understand what makes the "things" move in the way that they do, but that's what this class is about. Discovery and a whole lot of emergence; I'll get there.

Wednesday...
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:27:12
    Link to this Comment: 6125

I don't think we used the word "instinct" too much yesterday. Ants move because of instinct-- imbedded patterning. We have instinct, but we have a program that counters instinct. We call it intelligence. The more we counter instinct the more we increase intelligence, or vice versa.

comments on Wednesday session
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:29:09
    Link to this Comment: 6126

Okay, a few rules can generate a sophisticated pattern but in nature where do the rules come from? Is it success breeding success? How do you "rule out" alternative rules and "select" others?

NETLOGO and TWIKI
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:33:03
    Link to this Comment: 6127

It is fascinating to observe, through LOGO, how something that seems to be random, is actually organized. If ants, geese, other animals can form these complex patterns using genetic information, does this mean that humans have similar information? I would say, "Yes" and much of the patterns we engage are in the unconscious realm of our brain.

Models Depicting Behavior
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:37:55
    Link to this Comment: 6128

It is quite useful to have these computer models available to us that effectively describe the potential for all kinds of growth or actions of a species. However, the use of sliders to determine probabilities of various growths or actions falls well short of properly mimicing what actually can occur in nature. It may be perhaps too ambicious for us to develop computer models that can do this with minimal error. That being said, one has to acknowledge that the predictive behavior of any model is contingent upon the variables we are able to accurately include for modelling. But, what of variables that we simply are not aware of. Also, what of variables that produce an effect only when working in tandem. For example, sophisticated models attempting to predict weather still do not include the actions of butterflies as a variable in their programming.

Just a thought......

Ants
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:39:09
    Link to this Comment: 6129

Ants are constanly marching/working. If you watch the ant activity in a ant farm--the patterns of behavior, seem crazy. The marching-straight line, and the walking recovering of the dead ants.

Is there a pattern to growth and change? What advances the development in the patterns that occur? Is the leader an agent for the change? Do the changes alter the patterns in the behavior?

Reflections/7-23-03
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:40:03
    Link to this Comment: 6130

Yesterday's info about plants and ants was well received.

The plant segment met me were I was. I love trees.

The ants(swarm smart) discussion was eye-opening. I guess the little things DO mean alot.

Day 4 comments
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:41:18
    Link to this Comment: 6131

Although both presentations were very interesting, I enjoy Wong information even the more. Why? Because I had an personal interest, trusting that I may retrieve some information from Wong that would be helpful for my "Dogwood Tree" to emerge from its ill state.
    However, Pam did pack a good argumental theory for her ants presentation.
    Although I am not total sold on her rationals for its behavior, neither was I when my professor at Temple presented his "rat" theories in communical living. But over the years unknowingly, I was to see some truth in his theories.

Date: 2003-07-24 09:42:18
    Link to this Comment: 6132

Yersterdays experience makes me think and even meditate
    more about behavior patterns GLOBALLY, and tha it all depends on the situation what the next move is going to be. We have Leaders, and we have followers. WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

WHEN THE TIME COMES AND WE MEET, ARE YOU STILL ABLE TO TAKE THE HEAT. WHEN DIFFERENT BEHAVIORS COME INTO PLAY ARE YOU STILL ABLE TO HAVE A GOOD DAY? WHEN VARIOUS MODELS ARE PLACED IN YOUR FACE, ARE YOU STILL ABLE TO STAY IN YOUR PLACE, OR DO YOU COME OUT AND TREY TO EXPLAIN, THAT THEIR IS ALWAYS A CONTINIOUS NEW GAME!

Yesterday. . .
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:43:10
    Link to this Comment: 6133

Yesterday was interesting. I was able to grasp a better understanding of this concept of emergence and how it really is almost everywhere. Panama's description of how the social insects form order out of chaos was fascinating. The animation with which Ted described how plants determine "branchiness" was technical, but interesting.

Day 4
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:48:13
    Link to this Comment: 6134

While my Imac computer couldn't run some of the programs, I was able to observe programs running on other people's desk tops. It showed that simple rules can generate what appears to be complex behaviors. I noticed that small changes on the slides can make such noticable changes in the behaviors. Maybe our cat is not ready to sit at the dinner table with a knife and fork. Now i know why the cat searches the house 20 million times!

Day Three
    Date: 2003-07-24 09:57:36
    Link to this Comment: 6135

I enjoy investigating animal behavior. The information on ants was informative and eye opening.

Day #3 - Review
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:05:47
    Link to this Comment: 6136

Greetings!
    Day #3-was fun. "cooking" ice-cream, foraging for pennies, "selecting" a queen, having "fun with physics", "branching" out with trees, "transforming" tasks, "observing" chip-piles, etc. It was marvelously novel, yet somehow familiar. From computer modeling insect/tree behavior, to human interacting- it appeared that much of complex behavior is multi-faceted. Are both living and non-living entities working with some basic, simple "rules" of interaction and deriving from them a limitless range of "behaviors" from simple to complex, predicatable to novel,

Day #3 - Review
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:14:20
    Link to this Comment: 6137

Greetings!
    Day #3-was fun. "cooking" ice-cream, foraging for pennies, "selecting" a queen, having "fun with physics", "branching" out with trees, "transforming" tasks, "observing" chip-piles, etc. It was marvelously novel, yet somehow familiar. From computer modeling insect/tree behavior, to human interacting- it appeared that much of complex behavior is multi-faceted. Are both living and non-living entities working with some basic, simple "rules" of interaction and deriving from them a limitless range of "behaviors" from simple to complex, predicatable to novel,

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:19:58
    Link to this Comment: 6138

"God is the center of all things!" says it all for me. I listen to other theories and indeed often find them interesting, but I still return to
    my belief of God being the center of it all!

Creation vs. evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:21:15
    Link to this Comment: 6139

I need to believe in a God that was there before the world began, is here now, and will be there when the worlds ends. That does not exclude evolution however. God gave is "free will". I can imagine that God gave the natural world "free will" and we call it evolution. The evolution of man incorporates both types of free wills. Man can choose to pollute his world and this in turns affects the evolution (not only of man's evolution but the entire world's.

Creation
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:21:31
    Link to this Comment: 6140

I believe in the creation theory.
    It has been past onto me and I'm sharing this same info with the child.
    I gives me a certain comfort level, a feeling of 'The world isn't left to chance', and my comfort group shares this befief in the Creation Theory.

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:22:14
    Link to this Comment: 6141

The theory of evolution can obviously account for many phenomena in nature. Other phenomena appear to be too complicated on the face of it to be explained by mere evolutionary processes alone. But given that all phenomena could be explained this way the possibility that a "Creator" may have set things up for evolution to take place is not necessarily ruled out. My problem always comes back to who made the Creator? and who made his Creator? , etc., etc. ....?

Evolution
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:22:54
    Link to this Comment: 6142

There's a theory called "dependent origination" which supposes that everything arises from interaction between all things, without anything beiing in control. The illusion of control comes from rules that seem to govern interactions. According to this theory, the rules are simply the sum of observations about the interactions. We understand much more about electricity today that people living three hundred or a thousand years ago did. But electricity happens because of interactions between things.
    This theory of dependent origination is useful, as is the more modern theory of evolution, in promoting harmony between people and nature because it delineates the danger of trying to change or eliminate any of the variables that interact with each other.

Is, was, and always will be. . .
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:23:00
    Link to this Comment: 6143

I DO believe that God is the creator of ALL things. However, the scientific world does put much emphasis on evolution and its link to everything. I do think that people have evolved in their thinking and adaptability to live in certain areas-- I do not believe that man evolved from an animal into a higher order thinking man(even though man does sometimes act like an animal). I believe in the evolution in the sense of change emotionally, spiritually, and even physically to a point. Change is inevitable. Man is too fascinated by finding answers that change will occur evertime a "new" answer is found. The answer has never changed but we look for it anyway.How do the trees know what to do or how to grow--GOD. Why does the weather behave the way it does--GOD. Why do ants behave in a manner that appears disorganized-- GOD. God is, was, and always will be in charge and only the plants and animals are willing to accept this, while man is still looking for answers with evolution.

Evolution
    Name: Sheila Mic
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:23:02
    Link to this Comment: 6144

Evolution brings to mind the movie, "Inherit the Wind", and the "Scopes Monkey Trial". Can you dispel evolution? Scientist do not look for approval in their behavior, they observe, discover and explore. There is room for traditional values and scientific discovery. ?Do you think about the things--you do think about"?

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:23:34
    Link to this Comment: 6145

God is the creator of all living ( both animals and humans), and he given man the responsibiltiy to rule over rule over his cration.This is my religious beliefs from the holy Scriptures.
    Although man was made from the dust of the earth in his earlier stage, and born of a woman, I donot believe in the big boom theory that I evolved from some type animal(ape),or whatever. Debatable ! Yes!But I will settle my first theory.

evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:23:39
    Link to this Comment: 6146

Evolution......is the one word that has been the cause for much debate. My understanding of of the word as it relates to science is to move beyond something based on various factors. It means moving towards change based on individual needs, and life styles.

Habits Of Mind
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:24:23
    Link to this Comment: 6147

The first comment, I do agree with based on my religious beleifs. The second comment, I beleive that the world is constantly changing, and because of that Scientist are doing lots of experimenting, and making tons and tons of observations some beleivable and some we may raise eyebrows about ,however it is changing the course of how we live and think.

Creationism versus Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:24:24
    Link to this Comment: 6148

I haven't yet made full subscription to either theories, and it has been thirty nine years. What I can admit is that over time I have continued to swing further away from the ideals of creationism. I simply have found that theory too reliant on principles that has wrecked more havoc on this planet than it perhaps has deserved.

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:25:20
    Link to this Comment: 6149

Ahhh, Evolution.

The theory is here. I choose not to believe in this theory inately.

My choice is to choose which segments I'll agree with.

Name:
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:27:51
    Link to this Comment: 6150

God is the creator of all things; however man has decided to help thus the chaos and disorder.

Evolution, no way. Scientists can research from now until the end of time. The true is they have a plan therefore they plant they variables and set out to prove their theory. Only the honest ones will say they set things up so that the outcome will be what they want it to be. Nothing just happens, God is the creator with the master plan.

Refusing the Binary
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:28:21
    Link to this Comment: 6152

This feels a little like a set-up: an opposition, an argument that (in Regina's terms) really doesn't have to be a competition w/ one view winning out. As the Commission on Creation goes on to say, "God is continually creating." (Ps 104:29-30).

I believe in "God," and I "believe" in evolution. "God" for me means growth and change, exploration and emergence. As Sharon Burgmayer and I say on the home page of Science and Spirit, "the exploratory seeking that Quakers call 'continuing revelation,' the process of constantly 'testing' in a social context, against what others know, what one knows oneself, against new experience and new information...are activities that, ideally, can be practiced in both the religious and the intellectual realms."

There's no contest.

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:28:23
    Link to this Comment: 6153

The first quote is a religious tenet of the Judao-Chrisitian view of how life on earth originated. It feels familiar and very reassuring. A deep part of me feels comfortable with it. It is not an emergent idea. Life comes from the Top down.

Evolution is a scientific guess or explanation of how life on earth originated. I think it addresses questions about the origin and variety of life in a way I can think about,question, suggest, and interact with. A part of me is very comfortable with it. It is an emergent idea. Life emminates from the bottom up. Novelty is part of the process. See what works, change or get rid of what does not.

Creation and ev.
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:30:45
    Link to this Comment: 6154

Although we have had many discussions about the theory that from randomness can develop order. I believe the scriptural account from Genesis, that says God created the heavens and the Earth. How the Earth looked when he created it, I do not know. I strongly believe that the reason we see similar paterns in plant, animal, and everrything else, is not a process of survival of the fittest, yet I believe God created it all and thing do change over time. Evolution is a story that is one way of explaining what we see. It is however a theory.

evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 10:42:51
    Link to this Comment: 6155

The first quote on God basicly indicates that there was a startring point from which all things including behaviors begin.
    the first quote on god basicly indicates that there was a starting point for all things including behaviors. After that the universe can operate on it's own. Evolution basicly talks to the details and doesn't worry as much on the very first initial starting point.

Changes
    Date: 2003-07-24 14:58:47
    Link to this Comment: 6157

We are constantly changing and evolving in relationship to our environment and society. As Dr. Paul stated, it is the patterns of evolution, we are constantly changing?
    My thoughts travel to the "cockroach" and the existence of cockroaches billions of years ago. Roach Evolution!

Teaching Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:01:05
    Link to this Comment: 6158

The community I serve is populated with a 75+% of Belief in God. Therefore, a measure of care must be given in how Evolutionary Theory is delivered. I enjoyed the way in which Grobstein presented it as a story. This is just one 'story' to explain the way in which humans came to be. That along with Blanks computer adaption can make this subject more appetizing.

Evolution in the classroom?
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:03:31
    Link to this Comment: 6159

It is an educator's nightmare--whether to teach evolution or creationism or something else or nothing at all. Personally, I prefer to present all sides of an argument and let people make their own decisions(or in the case of children, their parents make the decision). As an 8th grade teacher I am constantly reminding my students that they should hear all sides of an argument and then weigh the information. I understand Darwin's story, but don't agree with all of it. I am amazed at how some take a logical premise and take it to illogical extremes. Some may say that believing that 1 God created everything on Earth and in Heaven is an illogical extreme--so be it. I do not force my views on my students and believe that students should be allowed to explore all possible "stories". What will I tell my students about evolution? Not much, it wasn't in the curriculum at last glance. But it always makes a good debate topic--evolution vs. creationism. Evolution starts nowhere and ends never. . .I need at least a beginning or an ending, therefore God is always in the mix for me.

ORDER /DISORDER
    Name: Gerry Brow
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:05:11
    Link to this Comment: 6160

Evolution, Interactions, Force, and Motion, Reproduction, Adaptiveness, what a commotion. Modification, Diversity, Patterns and Clumps, all this is doing is forming more bumps.When will it begin, when will this end........ what are your predictions because right now I'm having a coniption, I really would like to know just a little more
    before I walk out of Bryn Mawrs door.I WOULD LIKE TO TEACH SOME OF THIS IN MY CLASSB BUT THEIR ARE STILL SOME THINGS THAT I STILL HAVE TO SURPASS!

Creation and Evolution in the classroom
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:05:41
    Link to this Comment: 6161

I find it interesting that there is a clear distinction between church and state in education that was not all intended in Jefferson's letters : which in summary stated that the state should not organize a religion, such as ws the case in England with the Anglican Church. One of the problems , as a person who strongly believes in creation by GOD , is in teaching from the evolutionary theory is that I am bound by law to leave out the possibility that their could be a creation story. If science by enlarge is non-judmental and bias free, why then are other stories looked at as "primative?" Mutation over time is evident, none of us look exactly the same as we did when we were born, nor even one year ago. Clusters of similar organism live in proximity to each other. Slight mutations from one generation to the next are also very evidient, yet is evolution the only story, the only feasible story, or the one that scientists since Darwin's time have been looking to , to fill the information ? I always wondered, if change is natural, why are single cell organisims still alive today? Why have'nt more things changed into something else? Why is a pre-historic leaf fossil so similar to current leaves? More questions, lead to more questions...and it is turtles all the way down.

evolution
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:07:42
    Link to this Comment: 6162

I haven't changed my mind about God being the creator. Based on Doug's face activity, I can now better appreciate the idea of evolution. As long as I think of something(assignment) that the students are working on as an assignment that is evolving; then evolution works for me. I really saw faces evolving in the spheres, but there is no way that I can buy into the idea that billions of years ago or even now that something just came to be or decided to exist.
    I'd have to think about how I'd teach the concept of evolution and the assignments associated with the concept ,but I'm certainly willing to give it a shot based on ideas shared with the institute participants. Thanks.

Evolution
    Name: Judith Odo
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:09:31
    Link to this Comment: 6163

How I would use evolution in the classroom? I would relate how plants and animals have adapted to meet the needs of their environment over short and long periods of time. I would use the face model to help the students understand how making a certain selection can have various effects on that particular organism. I would want them to explore using various strategies, such as, half of the class would select only one face to change 10 times and the other half of the class would be able to make any selection for 10 times. After the results were gathered, we would look for similarities and constrasts in our groups' various selections. We would then have a discussion of these results. The students will try to find patterns that relate to why some of their faces would have to adapt to their environment and why some have not been successful and have died off.

Revist of Evolution versus Creationism
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:11:45
    Link to this Comment: 6164

I think the far more important question is where our obligation lies. Are we educators or indoctrinators? If one is sure of his/her ideals as an educator, then the teaching of evolution, or any theory for that matter, is a no brainer. However, those who are not within this fold, will find it difficult seeking a good fit between the two very distinct theories. I would imagine these individuals do not treat the theory of evolution with the proper amount of emphasis, if at all. What does that mean? Well, those who completely follow the tenets of christianity, or some other faith, tend to demonstrate an unwillingness to advance their intellect in this area of discussion.

So, consider this. Were the heavens and Earth created in one day or eight billion years? How one responds to this says a lot about whether you were educated or indoctrinated. Remember, some of the more fanatical regimes were, and continue to be, heavily rooted in indoctrination. I do not lose sleep over this anymore, but I am "very careful" about how I choose to impart any of my knowledge.

Ants and Plants
    Name: JudithOdom
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:18:29
    Link to this Comment: 6165

I found that the Ants and plants was a good way to open up to the kids about how we are social creatures. I would use it in my classroom and try to use it to teach how working together can get things done.

Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:18:59
    Link to this Comment: 6166

The idead of teaching evolution does not sit well with me. I am uncomfortable. Hearing Paul's explanation has made me feel the need to
    explore the topic in an attempt to develop a means to approach this subject in the classroom.

More thoughts about Evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:19:42
    Link to this Comment: 6167

I don't actually teach evolution but I will get sucked into conversations about it with my students from time to time. The idea will show up in a story or some child will say, "Is it true that we're all descended from apes?"
    Paul's method of presenting it as a story is, I think, very useful and diffuses the potential for damage in espousing evolution as the version "smart" people believe.
    In the past I've said that there is so much evidence that a) the earth and living beings have been around for billions of years and that b) there is such a thing as natural selection, that it's undeniable that evolution accounts for diversity and the way things are now in the world. I always hedge my bet by saying that there's no sure way to know if there's a Creator or not but, if it turns out that there is, it would take a really smart Creator to come up with as sophisticated a system as evolution. In other words, evolution can be one of god's creations. A belief in evolution does not have to negate a belief in a supreme being.
    I think it's important to give kids ideas that help them make sense of things. I don't think it's necessary to destroy or disprove the beliefs they bring to the classroom. This, I believe, is also true of any person to person interaction. If I get a new idea that is more useful to me than my present assumption, I'll integrate it or adopt it. That's evolution.
    Also:
    The Greek myths are useful in making sense of some things in the world and I teach them as myths. I don't expect my kids to believe them.

What I've learned so far
    Name: Judith Odo
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:25:08
    Link to this Comment: 6168

I learned from the four days of class that everyone has a different point of view towards learning. What should be taught and how it is taught. I enjoy reading the comments about the various topics. Finding patterns in teaching is a good idea. Basically, today's topic is difficult for me to totally accept. I teach evolution as one theory about how life began and I usually relate it to adapations of plants and lower animals.

post comments -evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:33:21
    Link to this Comment: 6169

Presenting evolution by emphasizing understanding of present day forms by the understanding of past forms can help in overcoming student concerns when they study evolution in the classroom. Knowing simple past changes create new forms over long streches of time can be separated from religious opinions when teaching the subject. computer models like those in Netlogo can be useful in this area. I like the idea of expressing evolution as a "good story " that answers many of the questions of why things are the way they appear.

reflections on Thursday's discussions
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:37:21
    Link to this Comment: 6170

The theme of emergence occurred often today. One, how people explore and make sense of their environment is done in an emergence fashion. (As long as the person exploring has questions that need to be answered.) Evolution (or the theory of evolution) appears to be an emergent system. There is nor underlying plan, creator, or intention. Finally, for me, the conflict between creation and evolution can be view as an emerging belief/theory/principal. As I continue to learn, reflect, experience, my understandings change. I can combine both theories, and come up with an explanation that satisfies me (for now at least).
    Teaching evolution is not a component in the curriculum that I am presently teaching. (A modified Life Skills with functional academics). However, at times, there is a reference made about evolution. (Usually something like, "Are we related to monkeys?") I start off by saying that people have different answers to that question. Some religions have beliefs about how life started that other religions do not have. I then explain that many scientists believe that people did evolve from other animals. There are fossils that support the theory of evolution.
    Usually, after saying the above, there are several more hands in the air, each one with a different question or comment. If there were time, I would call on each student and try to address whatever he or she has on his or her mind. Many times children would insist (often with emotion) "God made us". I have to again explain that if that is their belief, fine. But many others do not have that belief. I try not to be drawn into a long discussion, (kids want to discuss things instead of doing the assigned task). If one child wants more discussion, then I tell him/her that we can have a private talk.

Randomness
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:37:46
    Link to this Comment: 6171

Random selection based on individual perferences. Placing my mouse over certain images gave a certain sense of control, because if I didn't care for a parrticular image I simply clicked on a different in the hopes that I would see something more to my liking. Also I began to realize that my choices needed to be based on more than just one factor only, but that I'd also needed to focus on just what I had to work with. In other words you can't make lemonade from apples.

I began to wonder how would I use this issue of evolution in the classroom.........First I think that a mini lesson based on The Causes of Prejudices might lead to helping my students see the need to understand the connectinessof it all.

teaching From aAn Evolution Perspective
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:47:33
    Link to this Comment: 6172

Because of my grade level (third), I don't have to concern myself with how I would teach from this perspective.But if I did,my stance would be to teach science from a creationism theory alone with the evolution theory.
    I believe that creation and evolution go hand-in - hand together when exploring for answers,and that the children should be able to explore science from both perspectives.However, this can pose some problems with the students parents.

I have come to understand that, science is a way in which one use various means to understand the world and its habitants,and while exploring, many of other questions will emerge from this exploring that leads eventually to more exploring.

I know that our sessions have only left me with more questions to explore. I wonder if this was our facillitators purpose?????

teaching/evolution
    Date: 2003-07-24 15:48:40
    Link to this Comment: 6173

"Evolution" seems to be an emotionally, politically-charged word.
    In attempting to teach the concepts involved I would suggest introducing them with a more "palatable" label, for example, "generated change".
    To illustrate the concepts the students could be provided with or asked to think of things that change over time in response to changing environments. For example, the offerings at fast food restaurants change over time in response to what is popular with the public. Currently as the population has changed, Southwestern and Cajun cuisine have begun to enter the restaurant scene.

Evolution- Review
    Date: 2003-07-24 16:19:14
    Link to this Comment: 6174

Evolution is a major topic in high school biology classes. Traditionaly, most of my students have come to the topic with many mixed emotions, and thoughts. Two of the most common statements they have presented in class are: They don't "believe" in evolution, and that they don't think that they have descended from "monkeys".
    Offering students a view of any topic different from their own always requires being sensitive to their points of view. I have found that presenting the information in a non-threatening format, as scientific explanations and models of best fit to the evidence, and engaging them in activities that allow them to understand the concepts are important. Many high school aged students arrive with pretty sophisticated concepts. Re-assuring them that Evolution is not a religious construct to be "believed" but an elegant scientific idea to be studied, challenged, accepted or rejected based upon its merits is important.

Welcome to Friday
    Date: 2003-07-24 21:26:07
    Link to this Comment: 6176

By the time you read this, we'll have made it to Friday. Congratulations and thanks to all for a full, engaging and instructive first week of exploring emergence together. Doug, Kim and I have decided to 'celebrate' this half-way point in the Institute by instituting

(SURPRISE!)

a NO-technology morning.

We've all enjoyed playing w/ a range of computer simulations and programs this week, but now we'd like to show you how many of the ideas associated with emergence can also be explored off-line...

which is where we'll go this morning. So:

join us upstairs, away from the computers, where we'll be trying out multiple ways to solve problems, individually and communally. Let's see...
    where we end up.

Looking forward--
    Anne, Kim and Doug

thursday ...
    Date: 2003-07-25 12:31:51
    Link to this Comment: 6178

Thanks, all, for the rich conversation yesterday. Which in turn led to more conversation which in turn triggered the following ...

My daughter Rachel asked me last night whether I "believed" in the story of evolution. And, pretty much without thinking, I said "no". And Rachel thought that needed some explanation/justification. Which surprised me. So, here's the story, for her and you.

I don't "believe" in stories, wherever they come from. I listen to them, learn from them, and make use of them when I find them useful. To "believe" in a story is, for me, to end the ongoing process of discovery, of "getting it less wrong", and that's not something I'm inclined to do. I'd rather go on changing/evolving/emerging.

And I don't tell stories in order to get other people to believe in them. I tell the stories I tell because I find those stories useful and so offer them to others for whatever use they might be to them.

I think there may be something generally important in all this, and significant for our thinking about "emergent pedagogy". The general idea is that education ought not to be about getting people to "believe" things, ANY things. It ought instead to be about sharing "stories" ... with the idea that different people may find different stories useful in different ways. And that we should be helping people figure out not only what stories are more useful but WHY they are more useful, so everyone can get better at telling useful stories themselves.

One more maybe useful extension. There is, in the emergence literature, a lot of interest in sandpiles. And what I realized can be perhaps summarized by saying we are all "grains of sand". The important point is that the shape of the sandpile and the way it changes isn't controlled by any grain of sand, but it is influenced by every grain of sand. So no one is "responsible" for the whole pile, but everyone is meaningful in contributing to what the whole pile is/becomes.

Hope the evolution story is, in one way or another , useful to all of you. I find it a VERY useful story. And, one way or another, I hope it contributes to the shape of our common sandpile.

A few (more) grains of sand...
    Date: 2003-07-25 13:22:25
    Link to this Comment: 6179

In preparation for Kim's presentation this morning about multiple ways of problem-solving, we offered answers to one another's questions. Here's a record of some of what was said in response to

Quite a FEW grains of sand in this growing pile!!
    Thanks to all for your contributions--
    Anne

Trying Out Multiple Ways to Solve Problems
    Date: 2003-07-25 15:16:28
    Link to this Comment: 6180

Out of my archiving-mania
    (has to do w/ being an English prof...or maybe, just aging and a fear of loss
    [FEAR=False Evidence Appearing Real]

here's a record of what Kim taught us this morning:

She invited us to see "what's going on in kids' heads,
    beginning w/ something "real we could touch and feel": the Cracker Barrel Peg Game.
    We played it separately, several times.
    Kim walked us through a successful strategy for "winning" the game,
    then invited us to play it again--
    but none of us were able to reproduce the strategy successfully.
    This was a great example of what happens (so often) in our classrooms:
    we TEACH them something, then get frustrated that they don't USE it instantly.

We're calling this the "strategy of inefficiency."

Drawing on Siegler's work about children's problem-solving strategies, Kim explained that

What motivates this change?

How does learning occur?
    How can we get kids to be better @ problem-solving?
    Some comments during discussion:
    Kim ended our session by having us work together on the Peg Game, and then on a nail-and-wood-construction project. What was different when we worked together?

The Emergence of Race
    Date: 2003-07-26 07:57:23
    Link to this Comment: 6181

Welcome to Monday Morning, Week Two of Exploration and Emergence.

We're starting in a different place this week, exploring the usefulness of the concept of emergence in thinking about issues of race in this country, in our communities, and in our schools.

To help us begin: in this forum, please describe your community and why you chose to live there.

Then please return to the seminar room on the second floor, where we will begin our discussion @ 9:45.

From Paul to Ralph Waldo: The Inevitable Incomplet
    Date: 2003-07-26 11:24:30
    Link to this Comment: 6182

A propos Paul's comments about not "believing":

this year is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Ralph Waldo Emerson, an American Transcendentalist whose essays have been very important to my thinking and living. A number of new books have come out this spring in honor of Emerson's "bicentenary," and the reviews have reminded me what an "emergent"--which is to say "unsystematic"--thinker Emerson was. One of his friends described his "dots of thoughts"; a contemporary critic called his way of writing "pointillist." These images make me think of the NetLogo simulations we've been running in this week's Summer Institute: all those screens full of moving "dots" and "points" (aka "turtles"....)...

I spend a lot of my time thinking about--and very much trying to live-- an ethical life. And I often wonder how--or if--my continually changing, continually evolving sense of the world, and of myself, has any kind of integrity. Returning to Emerson, re-reading him through the light of all our talk, this past week, about emergence, makes me think it does.

Emerson famously wrote,
    "With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do." As one of his biographers, Lawrence Buell, has said, "Emerson was exceptional...for adopting as a stylistic principle that intellectual honesty requires being faithful to those oscillations between epiphany and blankness; to the inevitable incompleteness."

"Being faithful to the oscillations"--that as good a description of emergence as I've (yet) come across.

collaborative computer work
    Date: 2003-07-26 11:57:04
    Link to this Comment: 6185

It was a delight for Kim, Doug and me to watch you guys collaborating so enthusiastically during our last session on Friday afternoon. Seeing your engagement with one another--so different from earlier Institutes, in which much of the web work was done individually--reminded me of a discussion held this spring, at a conference on "Gender and Technology" sponsored by the Greater Philadelphia Women's Studies Consortium. During a conversation with our keynote speaker, Mary Bryson, comparisons were made between "the male norm" of working individually when working with computers and the common request of female students for a computer space where they could work in groups. The group discussed whether this was a case of female students' insecurity, of their conforming to stereotypical gender expectations, of different learning styles, and/or of the possibility of learning to learn differently. Similar questions were asked during a BMC Brown Bag led by Doug this winter on Teaching Across the Genders. What do you think?

Why I chose to live where I do.
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:08:02
    Link to this Comment: 6187

I chose to live where I do because of the multicultural diversity of the community. I was bought up in multicultural community. Everyone in that community was nuturing. Even though people and ideals have changed over the years, I still think multicultural settings are very necessary.

Living. . .
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:38:27
    Link to this Comment: 6188

I live in the middle of my mother and my father. I chose where I live based on where I grew up and was comfortable living. I have always lived in Mt. Airy and only moved across the East/West divider. Also, it was a reasonably priced apartment.

Community
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:44:10
    Link to this Comment: 6189

I grew up in the Cobbs Creek section of West Philly, but my parents are both from farms in Virginia—and they came to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for better job opportunities as teenagers. My family and I spent almost every holiday, summer and special occasion in Virginia with my grandparents and great grandparents. Our communities were diverse and cultural to the extent of the environment and the population of the neighborhood. During the 60's in Philly many Caucasian left our neighbor, but there was Jewish, Jamaican, Puerto Rican, and Black families. Surrounding my grandparents' farm were many Caucasian who returned to the peaceful existence of the rural life, which we never really left.

The Move
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:47:52
    Link to this Comment: 6190

This prompt is very appropriate for me and my family. We're moving to a new home. We want to live there because it's across the street from Pennypack Park, it's a twin (we're moving from a row) and the neighborhood is quiet-- It's all residential. We have more house for more money.

my community
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:49:48
    Link to this Comment: 6191

At the time I became employed with the Philadelphia School District employees were expected to live inside the city limits. The northwest part of the city appealed most to me. I had been brought up in country and lived in an old (1837)house. I found an old townhouse (pre-1825)in Mount Airy. I have a long double yard with trees and plants which attract many birds, squirrels and previously even raccoons. Thus I can be in the city and yet feel like I am still in the country. Mount Airy is a culturally varied one with many community-oriented people.

My Community
    Date: 2003-07-28 09:49:54
    Link to this Comment: 6192

When I first moved to my community my children , all Three were very young. I took into consideration that the education was better then where I presently was living, and that it was integrated. It also was assessible to my being able to reach any of the suburban stores, I enjoyed shopping.
    Of cause the neigborhood changed dratically alone with the schools, and my Jewish neighbors relocated very fast. Mainly because the group of people that came behind my family and myself were not as desireable to live with.
    My children had to eventually be bused out to other schools( although I was an active Home and School parent, and community worker in our active (at the time)organizations.
    Our community has been through many of transitions, but it isnot as bad as it could be. That is one of the reason that I have chose to remain after thirty - one years.

Community Diversity
    Date: 2003-07-28 13:05:30
    Link to this Comment: 6193

West Oak Lane is where I am presently living.

I live in the house my parents bought when I was two years old.

I came back to Philadelphia when my son was two years old, in order to provide him with the positive role model in my Dad.

Within a 2 mile radius we have:
    3 Recreation Centers
    9 Schools
    Many stores
    3 gas stations
    3 senior citizen apt. buildings
    and, an Auboretum

I live walking distance to the school in which I attended as a student and now teach, Ada H. H. Lewis Middle School; yet I choose to drive, dropping my son off to before/after care.

TURNING POINTS

30 yrs ago Present

-33 trees on our block -3 trees on our block(loss due to
    pollution[Maples])

-More 2-parent homes -More 1-parent homes

SENSE OF COMMUNITY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HIGH VS LOW

+++ CHILDREN +++

cooperative Non-cooperative

Community
    Date: 2003-07-28 13:14:20
    Link to this Comment: 6194

I grew up in West Phila on a small tree-lined street. I lived in a row house and interacted with the children on by block as well as some of the
    children on the surrounding streets.Neighbors seemed to have similar values and aspirations for their children.The street was made up mostly of black families, however there were sitll a few white neighbors. There were both black and white businesses in the area from 52nd and Girard to 55th and Girard. I lived and interacted with the people in this block until 1989 when my mother and I moved to the surburbs. We were looking for a home on one level and they were not easy to find in the city.

We moved to Cheltenham Township an experienced the surburban life. I don't think I want to move back into the city. I like the quietness of the surburbs. I feel that I need to make more of an effort to get to know my neighbors better. My street is diverse at this time although most of the new comers are black or asian.

She's bbaacckk!
    Date: 2003-07-28 13:50:22
    Link to this Comment: 6195

Good Afternoon!
    Sharing with all of you, about my neighborhood, brought back many childhood memories this morning. Although I live in the home I grew up in, I had not recalled many memories lately. For instance, the peach trees. How beautiful they were. How delicious the peaches tasted. Even as a child I remember how sad I was to watch them fade away. How more sad I was to watch them be cut down. How solemn my Mom, Dad, and I were. My parents' siblings weren't too happy either.

My community is diverse racially with African Americans, Italians, and Germans as residents in the Germantown section of our city. I have fond recall of the iron horse...the 23 trolley. The old homes of 100+ years old. Schools are stone and without air conditioning. The new schools aren't stone and have central air...they look so out of place.

I am proud to have roots in my neighborhood. I have lifelong friends, and our parents were friends before they got married. Children today don't have these experiences of longevity with roots and friends. Fun was free/inexpensive, now it costs/expensive. Parents were parents. Now they are, in many ways, children themselves.

I worshipped in the church across the street. Having been blessed there, I'm glad it remains and is linked with my current church. It's nice to visit and see familiar faces, as well as share services and celebrations.

Let It Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-28 14:04:25
    Link to this Comment: 6196

I have always felt fortunate based on the selection my husband and I made when we purchased our home.........Our children,s ages were (7,4, and 6 mos. ).

Two issues were met when we moved, most importantly the first being schools. We wanted our children to be able benefit academically without having to ttravel out of their immediate neighborhood. . Also their circle of friends were closely connected as well as the parents.

Tuesday morning scenario
    Date: 2003-07-28 14:25:16
    Link to this Comment: 6197

We had a good, rich session of sharing on Monday morning, as each of us described what our neighborhoods are like, and how we came to live (and stay, or move from) there. (Note that many of us made those decisions based on what schooling was available for our children.)

We turned next to explore various versions of the "Racial Segregation" model of Netlogo .

This enabled us to see how unexpected outcomes arise out of decisions like the ones we have been making in our own lives: Experiential stories and decision-making on the "small, local," individual level get translated into unexpected patterns on the city or "global" level. We talked at length about the ways in which decisions based on preference (for neighbors like ourselves, for teachers who could recognize our children's potential) could end up creating fixed patterns of racism (in which people refuse to recognize the worth of people different from themselves).

On Tuesday morning, we will apply these insights to our experiences in school. Our "head homework" for Monday night is to think about scenarios in our teaching lives where race, identity or diversity has been an issue in our school (in the classroom, or in interactions among teachers).

When you arrive Tuesday morning, please post in the forum area a description of ONE of these scenes...

which we'll be enacting, and revising, in the morning session.

Peace of Mind:
    Date: 2003-07-28 14:37:25
    Link to this Comment: 6198

I was born and raised in West Philadelphia, however when I became an adult, got married and had children I lived in Germantown. My husband and i decided to move because the neighborhood was changing and he did not want the kids going to any of the schools in the neighborhood. Some of the other reasons included people not taking pride in what they had, constant fighting of , and with kids in other neighborhoods and just not feeling safe. I realize that where ever you go these things can happen but my husband and I decided that we would just take our chances. i have been living in the Lamott section of Cheltenham Township now for twenty years and I have no regrets. Every now and then it may be some dramabut the difference is the way that it is handled which allows me and my family to have a PEACE OF MIND!

diversity issues
    Date: 2003-07-28 15:16:49
    Link to this Comment: 6199

For many years at Christmastime Santa would visit the school and talk to the children. One year the school received a complaint from a parent that students were being (unlawfully?) subjected to religion/Christianity/whatever. We no longer have Santa.

Race
    Date: 2003-07-28 23:09:24
    Link to this Comment: 6202

I teach at Wilson Middle School. When I arrived there, thirteen years ago, the neighborhood was predominantly Caucasian with some Korean families. It was a deseg school, so we had many African American students who took Septa from other neighborhoods. Inside the school the staff and students were justifiably proud of the way the kids of different ethnic groups got along.
    Our ESOL population began to grow and, at Wilson, we began to experience influxes of kids from former Soviet countries, then India and Pakistan, then Brazil and other Latin American countries.I ran the school video news program and the emerging multicultural makeup of the school was reflected in our coverage and in the faces on camera. I was one of two eighth grade English teachers, so all eighth graders had a fifty percent chance of being on TV at Wilson.
    When our school was mandated by David Hornbeck to go to SLCs, one proposal that was accepted was supposed to be a multicultural community. But two things happened. First, a group of African American teachers created the multicultural community and, second, another community recruited the two ESOL teachers. I applied to the multicultural community but they already had two of the best English teachers in the school and I had to teach English in order to do the video program. So I went to the community that had ESOL.
    When we advertised the SLCs, the multicultural community got an overwhelming number of applications from African American families. At the same time all incoming students from other countries came to one SLC--the one with the ESOL teachers.
    With good, or at least benign intentions, the staff at Wilson managed to separate two pools of diverse students from each other and the rest of the school. My TV program was never the same.

Racial Collisions
    Date: 2003-07-29 08:42:54
    Link to this Comment: 6203

There are many episodes in my professional life that I could draw an experience of racial inequity. This one that follows is from my first year teaching in Philadelphia.

I was on special assignment as the teacher of an introductory algebra class. Math is a passion of mine. I just love learning new ways to solve problems. Anyway, I had been teaching all eighth grade classes, who 'til this point, had used this period as 'social hour'. In the beginning, a vast majority of these children, had it in their minds to run another teacher out in order to extend their free time. Well, it took almost an entire month to bring the children around to treating this subject with open eyes. They were volunteering to workout and discuss solutions, raising their hands to ask and respond to questions, and not walking out of class.

As graduation time approached, along with the many class trips, so did the behavior falter. Then I was told by many of the students in a particular class, that they were told by their teacher that it wasn't neccessary to do the work in this class because it wasn't needed for graduation. I was floored!!! It seemed as if a mac truck had hit me. I spoke to my lead teacher in order to see how to best approach this teacher.

I personally, counted this as an attack against my community, the african-american children and families I serve. All I could think about was, " If these children had looked like this teacher (european-american), this teacher wouldn't have dared make this statement.

I did go and inquire what was said to the students about the 'value' of the class. At first she denied it then, two students overheard the conversation and interjected that she had indeed made this statement. I told her that I didn't appreciate what she said, because our children need all the free education they can get. I also told her that if I heard statements of this kind again, that I wouldn't hesitate to inform the administration and all other stakeholders.

Racial Diversity
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:24:23
    Link to this Comment: 6204

The only time I have experienced racial diversity in a classroom setting was when I was teaching Chemistry at Chester High School. This school is predominately black and hispanic and the students felt they were not getting the best education because of their race. They felt that the "richer white students" got all of the good teachers and only the "poorer minorities" got the worst teachers. We got into a discussion about this and they believed that the only way for them to succeed was to get out of Chester!

I tried to encourage them to make a difference in their own community first. This scenerio was interesting to me because this was my first year at Chester High School and many people warned me about the "kids" and their behaviors. I felt that they were concerned about how they were supposed to be educated. I felt it was my duty to make them change their minds about the teachers of Chester, especially this one, and I gave them 125% of me so that they could be the best class ever. I would have done this anyway.

Tuesday reflections
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:27:55
    Link to this Comment: 6205

For eight years I taught at Central East Middle School, which had a diverse student population. One year a student was placed in my room mainly due to his behavior. This student definitely had emotional problems, and the principal arranged a meeting with the mother. When the mother came in she told me that she knew "how Latinos think". I explain to her that I was not Latino. The mother apparently believed that I had a problem with her son because I was Latino and he wasn't.

Race and the Work Place
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:33:18
    Link to this Comment: 6206

When I taught at the Bridesburg school there were very few African American
    students in the school (1 family). In my fourth grade class I had one of the little girls. On one occassion when she was absent, the principal
    received a call that I had given the rest of the children more homework
    than ususal because the only black child in the class was absent!

Poor Design
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:36:12
    Link to this Comment: 6207

I have often wondered why many feel more secure in the company of those who tend to view the world ideally in the same manner as opposed to others who possess some arbitrary, inherent differences. It is this notion that leads many to believe that grouping in this way is most ideal for a productive citizenry. As a result, the idea in the educational arena sometimes becomes students should be taught by teachers who are just like them. Perhaps, this is best when combating narrow mindedness or ethnocentric attitudes that have handcuffed true learning. However, I hold and will always maintain the view that true educators are a breed apart. We flourish in a more diverse arena, and in fact are able to develop programs of study that capitalize on these inherent differences that people bring to the table.

To be continued .......

Wake Up Call:
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:38:19
    Link to this Comment: 6208

In the beginning of the year, I usually try to learn a little about each of my students by doing various activities. Last year I was'nt as thourough as I usually am because when the Christmas Holiday began to approach I had the students Journal write about how they celebrate Christmas.
    I had one student in my room who was Muslim that I was unaware of and he was pouting because he did'nt celebrate Christmas. i did'nt find this out until i went over to his desk and asked him why he was'nt writing. When he told me about his religion I apologized and told him to write about his religion.
    This was a wake up call for me because you can't judge a book by it's cover. In my eyes at that particular instance because he did'nt have on what I considered muslim attire,I was wrong. I pre-judged him. From now on in the beginning of the school year I will be a little more thourough and sensitive when dealing with the different cultures and religions. We have similarities and differencesb but that does'nt always make us the same.

Date: 2003-07-29 09:40:51
    Link to this Comment: 6209

Tolerance and acceptance is the social norm. Diversity is not a new concept, but it should include not only race, but gender, learning ability, age and economic status. Many children in the public school system are not exposed to many elements of culture,or have many experience outside of their neighborhood, but they are exposed to different races with the comfort zone of their communities. Many may never experience overt racism until high school or college. Children are resilent and can adapt to the social and cultural norms.

One little Caucasian girl . . .
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:50:32
    Link to this Comment: 6210

My classroom started out racially imbalanced with 23 out of 32 students being African-American. By the end of the year, it was even more racially imbalanced with 20 out of 26 students being African-American and only 1 Caucasian. That's who I want to talk about my one little girl of caucasian skin tone and African- American attitude. At the beginning of the year when I had a few more caucasian students she was quiet and worked hard at her work and only had attitude after school in the predominantly African-American neighborhood that she lived in. Due to circumstances, the other caucasian students were switched to another classroom, leaving her the only one in the class. Her attitude in class changed. One other student started calling her "honky" and "whitey" and she started calling him "nigger". Because he was in the majority the students began siding with him and the girls began having problems with her "blackish attitude". In less than a week of her being the only caucasian in the room, I was dealing with racial tension and arguments and after school fights and threats. So, we had a class meeting about the situation and put all the cards on the table. We talked about differences and similarities and it was decided that the girl was acting like she always had acted(being raised in the neighborhood around African-Americans). The students realized that they didn't like her familiarity with African-American gestures and vocabulary because she wasn't. After many class discussions the students were able to let her simply be who she was and not try to lock her in to the stereotypes of how they felt she was suppose to act.

Morning Response
    Date: 2003-07-29 09:51:23
    Link to this Comment: 6211

When my parents had come in for conferences was when I discovered that race was an issue with them as well as age. One of my parent's felt confidence that her son would not be giving me ant problems because I was Black (the student was black also), and that he hadnot given the white teacher any.Also, many of my colleques was confident that because I black, older, and had classroom mangerment skills, that I would be successful with our mixed population of both Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians. That enable to take notice that the majority of our staff was Caucasians,and young.
    Later I was to come to understand the relief look on my principal's face when interveiwing me for the position I was assigned to in a 2/3 split class.

Teaching Scenarios
    Date: 2003-07-29 17:59:16
    Link to this Comment: 6215

I realize that I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but this morning's discussion was AMAZING. Thank you, Jody and Cynthia, for designing these sessions, and thank you, EVERY one, for all your stories, and all your understanding of the stories you have to tell.

Here are (one woman's) highlights of what was said-and-learned today, as we pulled out the themes, then enacted, then revised, teaching scenarios in which identity was an issue:

How do our values come in to play in these scenarios about our students' identities? We then divided into groups w/ instructions to perform one scenario apiece. These were "stop action" performances, in which the audience was encouraged to We only used the second of these options, but we used it exuberantly! The scenarios included Our performances highlighted the themes of emergence: We ended with a charged discussion about True education proves a wide range of opportunies for kids to explore; there are a variety of ways to make this happen, but we all want them to have choices.

Wednesday Morning; Emergent Art and Writing
    Date: 2003-07-29 18:02:13
    Link to this Comment: 6216

Today we will be exploring where art comes from. I'd like us to begin by asking you where this image came from:

A thought experiment: you are the artist who created the picture above.
    Please tell us, in the Institute forum, the story of where it came from.
    What were you feeling and doing and thinking as you painted it?

Art and Emergence
    Date: 2003-07-29 22:48:34
    Link to this Comment: 6217

A flower is a wonder of nature, a war is a travesty perpetrated by humans. The arrogance sometimes evident in the human spirit is put into perspective here, within the natural beauty of that most beautiful and most commonplace of flowers, the rose.We can destroy-- can we be encouraged to create instead?

Picture
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:11:13
    Link to this Comment: 6219

The picture looks like colors forming a layered object. This object looks like a flower or clouds with the sun behind them at sunset. I think the artist wanted people to explore their emotions and feelings using the contour lines and bursts of color. I think it reveals itself as a symbol for "thinking about thinking!"

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:30:00
    Link to this Comment: 6220

Art is what one sees through his or her eyes. The picture to me represents a painted Carnation in the water showing all the inner parts inside of the flower. The surroundings look as if the outside of the flower is water logged, and about to come apart.

Date: 2003-07-30 09:34:58
    Link to this Comment: 6221

I am always working in the abstract. To suggest to someone that I know how this image evolved would be dishonest. What I attempt to do is begin my work in the same manner and observe what ultimately is created. What the image is or represents, I still do not know. It is not my job to define it, rather it is my duty to be instrumental in bringing it to life. However, if you would be more comfortable knowing more about its creation, maybe you should observe the process. 1) Begin with a glass slate 2) Choose colors you are willing to work with 3) Use a variety of tools that will cause the colors to disperse in an unpredictable manner. 4) Copy the image onto a canvas to preserve its uniqueness

art
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:36:37
    Link to this Comment: 6222

Art is the creative spirit in all of us.Art allows us to see and feel the creative spirit in other people's work and to express our own creative juices in a variety of formats. Art is inside of us. The flower represents the beauty of art containing the emerging spirit of creativity.

Brain. . .
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:39:48
    Link to this Comment: 6223

I was trying to relax during the long procedure--it took almost 24 hours. I painted this because my friend was in surgery. They were operating on their brain. The birth of this idea exploded in me. There is so much blood in the body, that red was an obvious color choice for my brain. The blue is the birth of the new ideas of the future yet to come. They cannot have definite forms because Lord only knows what the ideas actually are. . .but blue is calming and I am at peace with new ideas.

Date: 2003-07-30 09:40:06
    Link to this Comment: 6224

Exploring where art comes from . . .

Art Initiates from the thoughts, ideas and feeling that inspire the artist. Artists see and observe the aesthetic qualities of life's activity and depict their observation through painting, sculpture, architecture, baking, ceramics, landscaping, carpentry, etc. The painting . . . could be two people, inter-mingling with the environment, dancing, chanting, frolicking, inside a ring of fire, very primitive, free, no inhibitions, close to nature.

artist's picture
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:41:56
    Link to this Comment: 6225

Initially I saw the picture as a poppy-like flower. Looking more closely it seemed like a medical drawing of a valve-like structure pulsing open and closed with blood diffusing and a blue vein in the center. As I paint the picture I can feel the pulsation and I am sensible of a life force. The white portion seems to eminate a light signifying that force. The diffused blood also represents the flow of the life force. The fact that this picture resembles a flower juxtaposes the beauty and sometimes stark repulsiveness of nature and life.

diversity
    Name: marrlene
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:48:08
    Link to this Comment: 6226

Yesterday was interesting, and also thought provoking. It was refreshing to realize that classroom dynamics are the "stuff" for teaching moments. Preconceived opinions cuts across the entire spectrum of society.

Artist's reaction
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:53:14
    Link to this Comment: 6227

If I were an artist, this piece would be my representation of the primal creative force present in the universe. The red hot source of existence is in constant motion, swirling, producing patterns of possibility in its flux. A new "creation" emerges within its confines. Something novel, unexpected, cool, symmetrical, different from its origin - full of possibilities and beauty. Are they quarks? life forms? order from chaos? Michaelangelo's Adam touching the hand of the God?

marrlene
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:55:33
    Link to this Comment: 6228

emergence! Everything opening up.. On the left of the flower I see a whale on the left, and on the right a dancer.....because the two objects that I see represent two different objects but yet they co-exist.

Picture Perfect
    Date: 2003-07-30 09:56:48
    Link to this Comment: 6229

After the first week of summer vacation, I found myself finally at peace with relaxing. I then decided to book a trip to a small country inn in hopes of finding bequty in nature.

I chose to bring my folding chair and make-shift easel along for my walk through the meadow. Upon clearing a rise in the terrain and trough an unexpected growve of bamboo, I was greeted by an orchestra of vibrant colors, playing their parts so loud, the 'sound' stopped me in my tracks.

With traveling water color kit in hand, I began to paint the image of the magnificent oriental re poppy. My mind affized itself to the edge of each petal as my hand attempted to keep up with it.

All of sudden, tears cascaded down my cheeks. I could think of nothing except how great a conductor God is. The tears plopped unto the porous paper and created a MESS! Or so I thought. As I began to toss this paper aside, for it wasn't 'perfect', I turned over the 'ruined' painting, and found this fabulous rendition.

Isn't it just PERFECT!!!

In my opinion...
    Date: 2003-07-30 10:02:38
    Link to this Comment: 6230

Good Morning!
    I see what's happening on the inside of a red flower. The dancing that takes place among the inter~sanctuary, which produces the beauty we see as the flower. Many times we forget that God is at work producing something beautiful, even when we don't see Him at work AND think He is doing nothing.

In my opinion...
    Date: 2003-07-30 10:02:52
    Link to this Comment: 6231

Good Morning!
    I see what's happening on the inside of a red flower. The dancing that takes place among the inter~sanctuary, which produces the beauty we see as the flower. Many times we forget that God is at work producing something beautiful, even when we don't see Him at work AND think He is doing nothing.

marrlene
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-30 11:01:55
    Link to this Comment: 6232

emergence! Everything opening up.. On the left of the flower I see a whale on the left, and on the right a dancer.....because the two objects that I see represent two different objects but yet they co-exist.

art from a personal perspective
    Date: 2003-07-30 13:21:10
    Link to this Comment: 6236

Its amazing how one's own perspective can be completely different from some one else, (while veiwing the same illustration). I think that some of this ibased from an individual's temperment, because if you're in a "funky moodeful", you're not going to look at an abstract and veiw it as an peaceful image or setting, but instead you will (in all probabilty) see it as gloommy, and dull. Emergence enters into todays workshop when we used poetry as a vehicle to emphasize how ramdom words or phrases can unconciously lead to something that works and makke sense.

Art: An Emerging Record
    Date: 2003-07-30 16:34:38
    Link to this Comment: 6238

You'll find an archive of this morning's workshop @
    Emergent Art and Writing
    and a record of our Emergent Poetry, Exquisite Corpse and game of "Definitions" @
    Emergence: An Evolving Poem.

A wonderful exploration of the quirky creativity of collaborating unconscious minds--
    for which many thanks.

Anne

emergent K-16 collaborations
    Date: 2003-07-30 17:13:12
    Link to this Comment: 6239

Morning, friends. I hope we can use this morning to lay the groundwork for future working together (see minisymposium program). To get us started, how about you write briefly about the kinds of experiences with colleges/universities (as a student and afterwards) that have most helped/hindered you as a teacher, and what experiences you wished you had/hope to have in the future?

preparation
    Name:
    Date: 2003-07-31 08:56:09
    Link to this Comment: 6240

although i lived and taught in an urban setting, i trained in a suburban setting. when i actually went to work for the new york city school system was i rudely awkened. scarsdale,ny was a far cry from spanish harlem,nyc. although we might not teach exactly where we want to or at least think we want to, we should train and be prepared for the location that we have in mind. in additon we should have a good foundation in terms of culture, dos and dont's for the general student population that we'll encounter. colleges and the trainee should insist upon setting appropriate training.

K-16 Symposium
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:20:58
    Link to this Comment: 6241

What experiences with college/university/graduate educators were most valuable to you as a teacher? Think both about experiences you had as a student and experiences (like outreach programs) since you became a professional teacher.

One experience immediately comes to mind. I was enrolled in a writing course at a community college in 1984. The section of the course was added so as to reduce the number of students who were overloading another section offered at the same time. As a result, this section consisted of only eight students. The instructor who arranged for this section addition was the English department head. Having an exemplary teacher and such a small class size allowed for greater attention to be given to those who were having difficulties organizing their thoughts when writing. Reflecting upon this convinces me that I probably would not have had as much success in my other coursework had it not been for this early experience.

What would you like college/university/graduate educators to be doing that would improve education for all students? to help you with your own teaching?

I always felt that at the college/university/graduate level, instructors are greatly concerned with the acquisition of knowledge in a particular subject area. Obviously, this is a mandate. However, only minimal pressure exists that requires one to make improvements as an educator.

In light of this, I have noticed that a great many instuctors tend to exhibit a single-mindedness with respects to how best one can impart this knowledge to others. I believe both teaching assistants and professors would benefit immensely from the exposure gained in teaching methodology courses.

College life
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:28:22
    Link to this Comment: 6242

I went to Millersville University. The things that most helped was the time spent in actual classrooms. They put you in the classroom freshman year because they felt that teaching wasn't for everybody andd you needed to be sure that this was what you wanted from the door. Also, my sophomore year they piloted an urban education program to prepare teachers for many of the differences faced by an urban teacher versus a suburban or rural teacher. The only thing that I feel I was not prepared with was realistic classroom management techniques. I had student taught in a rural setting, a suburban setting and an urban setting and faced the same behavioral problems across the board, but felt that I had not adequately dealt with these problems at the time(and my supervisor agreed). However, no one seemed to have any real advice to give except that it will get easier to manage a class as yoou gain more classroom experience. Not true! I gained more experience by working as an assistant in a behavior modification type of school. Classroom management should be taught as a class during college--then district's won't have to spend so much time training their teachers on proper classroom management techniques after the fact.

Educational Experiences
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:28:29
    Link to this Comment: 6243

My educational experiences were varied. As a double minority, attending a white male dominant school, I felt that I had to always prove myself not only to the the professor but also to the students. I was the only black female in the Chemistry department during the 70's and that was an experience I wouldn't want anyone of any color to experience. My graduate school experience was 100% better. I enjoyed my professors and found that we had something in common. I am hoping that my future experiences will be
    just as great!

Goodbye, July
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:33:25
    Link to this Comment: 6244

As an undergrad, I majored in Broadcasting and Film and got into teaching as a substitute, so my experinces at Penn State did not prepare me for a career in education. Fortunately, I was mentored by experienced teachers and principals until I finally decided to go back to school, Antioch Graduate, for a teaching certificate and masters. By this time I'd had several long-term positions and knew my way around the classroom. The Antioch program was designed to have the participant use their class and teaching experience as a foundation for the coursework. In other words, collaboration with other teachers and field-testing lots of free ideas.
    I've participated in many other graduate-level programs over the years from PhilWp to Bryn Mawr to on-line courses and the most rewarding experiences have followed the Antioch pattern.
    When I am working with other professionals, using the resources of a college or university, most importantly the staff of those institutions, when I feel valued as a teacher and as a human being, I am motivated to try a little harder. And the results-- those free ideas-- are priceless.

EXPERIENCES
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:35:15
    Link to this Comment: 6245

MY EXPERIENCES in College was very interesting. I did'nt really matriculate into Drexel University until i was married with grown children. MY PEERS in undergrad, and grad school with also had families, with the exception of a few. We had a lot in common which made me feel more comfortable, which helped me IN MY STUDIES. Whenever we were able to meet up as a group to tackle a problem or project, we were always a help to one another. The hinderence for me, for a while was working 2 jobs and trying to have a schedule for studying and maintaining things at home. I have a very supportive husband, so that helped a lot as time went on.(Thank GOD my 2 sons were old enough to do some things for themselves!) I hope to in the very near future to enroll in a Principal Certification Program and become a Principal in the Philadelphia School System. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE! IDID'NT RECEIVE MY MASTERS DEGREE UNTIL 1999.

EXPERIENCES
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:36:07
    Link to this Comment: 6246

MY EXPERIENCES in College was very interesting. I did'nt really matriculate into Drexel University until i was married with grown children. MY PEERS in undergrad, and grad school with also had families, with the exception of a few. We had a lot in common which made me feel more comfortable, which helped me IN MY STUDIES. Whenever we were able to meet up as a group to tackle a problem or project, we were always a help to one another. The hinderence for me, for a while was working 2 jobs and trying to have a schedule for studying and maintaining things at home. I have a very supportive husband, so that helped a lot as time went on.(Thank GOD my 2 sons were old enough to do some things for themselves!) I hope to in the very near future to enroll in a Principal Certification Program and become a Principal in the Philadelphia School System. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE! IDID'NT RECEIVE MY MASTERS DEGREE UNTIL 1999.

K-16 experiences
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:46:33
    Link to this Comment: 6247

My formal school experiences began when I was two years old, in a Head Start program. It was a positive experience for me, especially my first day, when I realized I would be safe because of the smell of home cooked food. In my family, the expectation was to go to college, the only option I had was which one I would select. During high school and college, I became close friends with some of my teachers and professors, because they had no problems dealing with my lofty ideas. In retrospect, I probalbybecam friends with them because they encouraged me to develop critical thinking skills. I was on the debate team in high school, and studied foreign polocy of the US government beginning in the 9th grade. School was difficult for me at times beacuuse of my spelling difficulties, yet, I never gave up.
    My never quit attitude has carreid me through college, grad school, two certification programs and 3/8 th the way through another certification program. Somewhere along the way, I started to see learning as a fun challenge....the more I know, the more I want to know, and so on. As long as I keep this perspective, I'll keep plugging on!

college experiences
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:48:51
    Link to this Comment: 6248

Most of my teaching (speech/language therapy)practices were of my own devising following typical classroom lectures about the principles of learning and speech disorders. In graduate school we had a small amount of opportunity to observe others doing therapy. However it was mainly just our peers who didn't really know much more than we did. We never got to see our instructors in action although we were occasionally observed by them. Basically we were just thrown into the therapy room. I remember my first "client", a teenage stutterer who had been in therapy for years and who I presumed knew more about speech therapy than I did at that point. I remember thinking "Would you send a medical student in to do surgery with similar instruction?" God knows, maybe they do!
    I really value most my instruction in college working hands on with operant conditioning performing experiments on animals.

experiences
    Name: bkm
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:48:58
    Link to this Comment: 6249

My varied experiences in college were useful but my best experiences came when I went for my masters degree. I learned by doing on hands-on activities in a relaxed atmosphere(l like we do at Bryn Mawr). There was a lot of interaction between staff and students that let you feel you could experiment with new things and ideas.

My Thoughts
    Date: 2003-07-31 09:58:12
    Link to this Comment: 6250

"It gets you up in the morning", thats the first thing Ito come to mind when I think of my experience last two weeks. Why, because thats what it took for me to even call on any physical reserve to respond to yet another WORKSHOP !

Reflecting on my experiences here at Bryn Mawr, I realized that at the end of each session I found to be refreshing and thought provoking.I also began to realize the valuable resource as an educator. To expose students ways inwhich explore their thought and ideas in such a way that would allow them to free to express their ideas and emerge them into concrete models is simply

University as Partner
    Date: 2003-07-31 10:19:33
    Link to this Comment: 6251

:To get us started, how about you write briefly about the kinds of experiences with colleges/universities (as a student and afterwards) that have most helped/hindered you as a teacher, and what experiences you wished you had/hope to have in the future?

Morning to you!
    As a result of my college experiences I entered teaching with an excellent background in Biology. What I found out was that an excellent background in your subject area goes far in working successfully with students - who want to learn the subject matter. There are a cascade of problems in Philadelphia public schools that were never addressed in my college career. In these areas, success with students depends greatly upon a teacher's ability to address what the particulars are that need to be addressed and getting help in doing your best to address them.
    In my experience, outreaching to colleges and universities has made a tremendous difference in my ability to organize and maintain successful programs for my students. The impact of this help can not be understated. I have interacted successfully with local colleges, universities, hospitals, government agencies, local businesses,etc. People from these areas have helped me via: Ideas, supplies, programs, visiting personnel, integrating technology, etc.

Prepatation
    Date: 2003-07-31 10:21:12
    Link to this Comment: 6252

My college preparation was more than adequate as far as the foundations of education were concerned.

I think that the employment of a workshop approach to management techniques
    would better prepare future teachers.

I think that constant conversations with a professor are neccessary. I feel that the outcome from these conversations can assist many students in finding their way.

I think that at least 6-9 credit hours of motivation techniques should be mandatory. Don't forget the fine arts (drama, music, etc.)

I think that future teachers need to work on cooperative techniques within the instruction of children.

How universities can help at the grade school leve
    Date: 2003-07-31 10:38:04
    Link to this Comment: 6253

Good Morning!
    Formerly a Special Education Teacher and currently an administrator, Science remains an overwhelming topic for many students and teachers. Science needs to be taught at the college level in a manner that is relevant to what Education majors will be teaching in a K~12 settings.

Many Science teachers are at a lost when they must utilize Scope and Sequence, as it relates to the Benchmarks, and thus as it must be taught in a proactive manner to our students. Thus, negative behaviors become prevelant because the teacher is not equipped to present a Science lesson in an engaging manner. The fact that they are in a novice status, their behavior management techniques have yet to be developed. Chaos ensues!

Universities need to be aware, early in their students' matriculation, of the type of district they are interested in, as well as in all probablity the one they will be teaching in, at least to start. I recommend that universities engage their students in realistic practicums that couple appropriate Science experiences with actual classroom settings; that classroom management skills are taught based on experiences. I further recommend that these experiences begin in the second semester of the Freshman year and continue until the second semester of the Junior year.

College classrooms cannot provide the education that an actual setting affords. One of the many reasons new teachers don't remain, is because they are frustrated with the lessons and students that are set before them. Therefore, Teacher recruitment and retention is at and all time low.

All of the aforementioned comments are laced with an additional layer of urgency for Teachers that are career changers, and see Teaching as an option for many of the underlying aspects this vocation lends {time off, for example}.

Goodbye, July
    Date: 2003-07-31 11:04:33
    Link to this Comment: 6254

As an undergrad, I majored in Broadcasting and Film and got into teaching as a substitute, so my experinces at Penn State did not prepare me for a career in education. Fortunately, I was mentored by experienced teachers and principals until I finally decided to go back to school, Antioch Graduate, for a teaching certificate and masters. By this time I'd had several long-term positions and knew my way around the classroom. The Antioch program was designed to have the participant use their class and teaching experience as a foundation for the coursework. In other words, collaboration with other teachers and field-testing lots of free ideas.
    I've participated in many other graduate-level programs over the years from PhilWp to Bryn Mawr to on-line courses and the most rewarding experiences have followed the Antioch pattern.
    When I am working with other professionals, using the resources of a college or university, most importantly the staff of those institutions, when I feel valued as a teacher and as a human being, I am motivated to try a little harder. And the results-- those free ideas-- are priceless.

My Thoughts
    Date: 2003-07-31 13:16:47
    Link to this Comment: 6255

"It gets you up in the morning", thats the first thing Ito come to mind when I think of my experience last two weeks. Why, because thats what it took for me to even call on any physical reserve to respond to yet another WORKSHOP !

Reflecting on my experiences here at Bryn Mawr, I realized that at the end of each session I found to be refreshing and thought provoking.I also began to realize the valuable resource as an educator. To expose students ways inwhich explore their thought and ideas in such a way that would allow them to free to express their ideas and emerge them into concrete models is simply

Finale: What Have You Found Useful?
    Date: 2003-07-31 14:55:03
    Link to this Comment: 6256

Welcome to our Friday morning "finale."
    After lunch, we'll be graduating;
    before lunch, we'll be presenting our web projects.
    However, we'll begin the day...

by discussing the gap (do you think there is a gap?) between all the good new ideas we've been exploring during the past two weeks...and the realities of our classrooms. During the K-16 Symposium yesterday morning, a number of tensions were articulated that each of us needs to figure out how to "bridge":

Please post your thoughts about the usefulness, for your teaching, of what you have been learning during the past two weeks.

Thanks! Anne, Doug and Kim

Finale: What Have You Found Useful?
    Date: 2003-07-31 14:55:06
    Link to this Comment: 6257

Welcome to our Friday morning "finale."
    After lunch, we'll be graduating;
    before lunch, we'll be presenting our web projects.
    However, we'll begin the day...

by discussing the gap (do you think there is a gap?) between all the good new ideas we've been exploring during the past two weeks...and the realities of our classrooms. During the K-16 Symposium yesterday morning, a number of tensions were articulated that each of us needs to figure out how to "bridge":

Please post your thoughts about the usefulness, for your teaching, of what you have been learning during the past two weeks.

Thanks! Anne, Doug and Kim

Friday Finale
    Date: 2003-08-01 07:28:45
    Link to this Comment: 6260

Testing takes up too much instructional time. Duh. It is also at least partly responsible for cutting the fun time out of classtime. All of those dumb things I do in class with my kids-- game shows, role-playing, rewriting parts of the book they're reading and the activities on my Wiki pages-- are essentially "unnecessary frills". But, you know what? They really do increase my students' ability to comprehend and write about the things they read. And, on the subject of writing: why are kids rated on how well they can write about math? There is math I can do. That battle won,why must I explain it if I've already demonstrated I can do it?
    I will arrive late today and might miss most of the presentations. Good luck, everybody!

summer 2003
    Date: 2003-08-01 09:33:26
    Link to this Comment: 6261

Just imagine! Giving students the opportunity to take ownership of their ideas, creations, and opinions. Allowing them the confidence to feel comfortable with their thoughts. Just imagine what would have happen if Darwin, Hawkins, Einstein, and Newton, were not allowed to ask questions, explore, examine, and search for answers to their questions.

The concept of "EMERGENCE" relates to this approach to education. Also as an educator this approach would allow me to identify the various ways in which students learn. Just Imagine!!!!

final thoughts
    Date: 2003-08-01 09:33:30
    Link to this Comment: 6262

I have enjoyed the pass two weeks. I have learned a lot about emergence. It has allowed me to think about teaching in a new way. I enjoyed the people who have been here these past two weeks. I especially enjoyed the symposium yesterday. Discussing our thoughts with our peers was a wonderful and necessary experience for me. Hopefully, I will be able to attend more workshops like this in the future! Thank you!

We Made It !!!!!!
    Date: 2003-08-01 09:41:28
    Link to this Comment: 6263

1. "Breaking your legs" - Interesting phrase. Working with others can feel like something is breaking (not my legs, however). For me this process can be very painful due to internal censors. I am unduly worried about how I am viewed by others. This leads to me being less than honest, less productive and less assertive than what I can be. I guess you can say that I am "emergent challenged".
    2. How will the past two weeks affect my classroom? Well, I think I am more respectful and appreciative of the emergency of each person. I can view, not only the evolving child as a special and beautiful process, but also how that process influences the evolution of the class. This process is not 100% under my control (not even 50%), but that is fine. I can trust that the process will lead to a more creative class.
    3. Another way the past two weeks affected me is the realization that I am getting older. I might not be able to do 4 weeks straight of "this stuff".
    4. Finally, I am appreciative to our "Fearless Leaders" for the time and energy they put in this institute. It was interesting and informative .

"THE BEST YET"
    Name: Gerry brow
    Date: 2003-08-01 09:49:11
    Link to this Comment: 6264

Emergence, Diversity, what can i say everybody had a thought during our two weeks of play. The discussions were enlightening the collaboration was good connecting linkages can put you in a mood. I will take these ideas back, but if the behaviors are whack, I will use other strategies to get my class back! When I do try some of the things that we were taught, there will be no child left behind in my classroom, and they wii continue to walk! Thanks Paul, Anne, Nia, kim, and Doug, you showed your appreication and much love. Thanks to all my Colleagues and for all you do and much love to you as you continue to venture thru.

USEFULNESS/ GAP
    Date: 2003-08-01 09:53:22
    Link to this Comment: 6265

Being introduced to the concept of emergence has been valuable if only because the process required me to think about how I am teaching. Every institute I have attended whatever the focus has done that. This thinking process acts like an annual "housecleaning" or "taking stock of" what I am doing instructionally as well as in other aspects of my work and life.
    I wil be keeping my eyes open to find more examples of emergence.

The Classroom
    Date: 2003-08-01 10:08:01
    Link to this Comment: 6266

A great lesson I engaged my students in was a lesson that relied on my prior knwledge base, tapped the students thirst for knowledge and allowed us--all to learn something new in the process. The lesson started with a electronic journal,"who are you". The lesson branched into research of your family through interview and research of the location/community they they grew up in. It was wonderful how the lesson grew and the active participation of the students. (This was a coverage class!)
    I have enjoyed the summer institutes. Thank you!

Friday Finale
    Date: 2003-08-01 10:11:38
    Link to this Comment: 6267

I have to say Anne that your posting really would require the equivalent of four separate response postings. Each bullet item should provoke interesting commentary from my colleagues. However, I feel it is the fourth item that should occupy our professional thought.

"the relationship between children's behavior and engaging teaching of the subject area"

Teachers, administrators, parents, civic and political leaders have very specific ideas regarding the behavior that must be demonstrated in the classroom. Often, and perhaps mistakenly, the assertion is made that inappropriate behavior in the classroom results from poor efforts at designing engaging activities by the teacher. Many choose to assert that any behavior of the student, inappropriate or not, is largely a function of social parameters that are beyond the ability of the teacher to effectively modify and/or control. Still others in our country will insist that it is the different cultures in American society that give rise to behaviors that can are viewed with mild contempt.

Why do they act the way that they do? They probably wonder why do I act the way that I do? Why does anyone act the way that they do?

As a human being, I choose to take a different approach. I really do not care much about their behavior. Actually, I find it interesting and sometimes comedic encountering those who are ideally very different from one another or me.

To be continued ........

Final comments
    Date: 2003-08-01 10:54:01
    Link to this Comment: 6268

In the high schools in philadelphia the science teachers will be shifting from their usual subjects to enviromental related subjects to meet new state testing requirements. textbooks are being delivereed over the summer to each of our classrooms for september. This provides a unique opportunity to try emergent methods in a fresh start type enviroment.

finale
    Date: 2003-08-01 10:55:34
    Link to this Comment: 6269

I don't feel in the classroom as though I'm ever alone - my students are normal kids - and they let you know immediately that they are present and want to know what are we going to do be doing today.

Both my students and I enjoy learning,working,surviving together, for the most part. Bryn Mawr College has been ever present with me over the last ten years. Ideas, methodologies, support, personnel, etc. have been with me each semester in one shape or other. I look forward to evolving new ideas and strategies here to take back and share with my students. I have progressed and benefited from my collaboration with Bryn Mawr and so have my students. Issues you have addressed in your questions for today:
    Collaboration, breaking your legs, team-teaching, sharing, hoarding, hands-on activities, lecturing, dealing with administration, consummables, appropriate vs inappropriate behavior in kids and adults, testing, playing, these are the everyday realities present for most adults employed in large school districts. Addressing them is something we do everyday in our own way. Success in addressing them is important not just for teachers but for the students in our care. Keeping abreast of new ways of interacting with old and new problems not only is rejuvenating it is vital.

geneva tolliferreo
    Name: dea. charl
    Date: 2005-07-19 03:14:55
    Link to this Comment: 15562

well bless your soul geneva. i am charles tolliferreo. doing a search using OUR last name i was lead to your message. my folks where from virginia too and you must know that OUR last name is very unique so we must be related. i have 2 boys, the older boy my jr. is in austrailia right now. so if you want to please e-mail me at deacharles@aol.com if you are a minor please get permission from your parents first. i was name after my late uncle charles.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:35 CDT