Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Brain and Mood Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Welcome
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2002-08-08 10:07:01
Link to this Comment: 2454

This is a place to continue discussions about mood and the brain begun with a conversation on that subject. Think of it very much as a conversation, rather than a place where you need to show how well you write, or not say anything unless you're sure you're "right". Its a place to talk, to share ideas in progress, so that you can help others think and they can help you.

Sorry I miss the talk
Name: Chris Alvi
Date: 2002-08-12 11:28:10
Link to this Comment: 2455

I'm sorry I missed your talk. It sound like a very enlightening dissussion about depression. I wish you all the luck in the world in your future life. Good luck in your career and thanks again for your talk.

Love,

Christine Alvin

depression
Name: lauris lon
Date: 2002-08-12 11:35:25
Link to this Comment: 2456

thank you so much for your talk, i was deeply impressed at the simplicity used to describe the brain function..i am manic depressive, narcoleptic, recovering alcoholic and i would jus t like to say that when depressed i call it the pit and only with the miracle of love and medication have managed to crawl out each time...my life has been horrific and marvelous at all the different turning points..thanks to you i feel more like i belong and vive my difference..thank you lauris london

my experiences with Manic Depression
Name: Melissa Le
Date: 2002-08-14 11:07:18
Link to this Comment: 2457

My name is Melissa Lesmeister. I am 20 years old. I was diagnosed with bipolar (Manic Depression) when i was 15 years old. I had run away to get away from my parents and two days later had to be hospitalized for gallbladder glue(the begining of stones). My family doctor came to see me in the hospital and put me on Prozac. I was on this medication for almost two years when it totally stopped working for me. I was put in Horsham Clinic where i was put on another concotion of medication. From here i was transfered to a Residential treatment facility called Presbyterian Childrens Village. I spent four months there and then was placed in a CRR where i resided for a year but was in and out of the hospital. Until just recently they have finally found a coctail of medication that seems to be working for me. i have been in the hospital only once in the last ll months which is a great accomplishment for me. i now live at another CRR called New Foundations. i am doing very well and am doing a lot of therapy. you know working on yourself is very hard!!!

Thank
Melissa Lesmeister

thanks ... and let's keep talking
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2002-08-19 15:45:17
Link to this Comment: 2459

Nice to find you all here. Life CAN be tough for people whose brains work differently, particularly because most people aren't aware of those differences and the kinds of problems they can create. Its the lack of awareness/understanding, as much as the differences themselves, that creates much of the suffering. So its important to share stories about what life is like and how it can be made better, in order to help MAKE it better.

Thanks to all of you who visited. You helped me understand you and myself better. And thanks to those of you who have written so far. Yes, let's learn to appreciate our differences, and help others do so. So keep writing and we'll all keep working on it.

Name: oldephebe
Date: 2003-09-22 13:59:35
Link to this Comment: 6567

Hi - I have no compunction to list my first name for the entire world to peruse, but I will say that I am one of 2 children out of six who are not bi-polar or schizophrenic. This is really hard for me to write. There are six of us I will not be gender specific but 4 of my siblings have been crippled by schizophrenia. I can't accept it sometimes. And sometimes I feel guilty, like why was I spared. I endured fundamentally the same hardships they did. I am an extremely anal retentive person and by extension overly logical and I am what could be called a soul on ice. I have developed this premptive constant emotional and though monitering mode of mind unconsciously. My other sibling is very straight forward and high functioning as well. I have the lowest IQ out of siblings. Mine was tested at a lackluster 124 the average in my family is around 140 and they also have photographic memories. I have several nephews who tested around 145 and my son who does manifest some manic tendencies is classified as mentally gifted and attends Central High School in Philadelphia. My son like his father is not a very motivated student. He does however manifest a nearly photographic memory in the subjects that interest him. My sisters and nephews attended masterman in philly. I however do not. Hmm. Here's the thing. I resided in Presbyterian Childrens Village before it became a critical care center for mentally unbalanced youths. I attended radnor high. My grades did not reflect my intellectual acumen. I was ah staid and unstirred until I tapped into this facility for weaving extemporaneously harmonic helixes of melodic tangents and..wow now i'm really being pleonastic. I'll try and pare down the prolixity..kind of a prohibitive verbal promenade that just completly obfuscate whatever solipsistic stream I veered off on. There was a counselor there who really ministered to me and motivated me to become interested in my life. PCV has helped scores of maladjusted adolesants find their way. I am greatly indebted to them. I was an anti-confluential or well very thorny young man who enjoyed deconstructing the then seemingly fatuous and pro-forma syllogisms of various staff and administrative personell. For this I am deeply sorry. I have gone on way too long here but I ran across this by accident and I wanted to express my thanks to Loren Prehiem and the Philadelphia Presbytery for thier patience and their contributions to my developement.

Name: oldephebe
Date: 2004-04-23 21:18:01
Link to this Comment: 9575

for a crystalization and aesthetic expression of some of the things..the dreary soul smear i've left in my previous posts...please go to

www.geocities.com/autmnfyre/

www.theautumnfirecdproject.com
Name: stan whyte
Date: 2004-12-15 12:28:56
Link to this Comment: 11974

A realm of spirit and sound. http://www.theautumnfirecdproject.com/

Games
Name: Kayla
Date: 2005-04-29 14:35:48
Link to this Comment: 14986

I need this answered for all you brain wizes: There is this game I play on the internet that to make the character "fly" you have to use the mouse. Hold the left clicker down and the character flys up and up until you hit the ceiling and die. Don't hold the clicker and you fly down untill you hit the floor and die; therefore you have to press the clicker on and off to fly straight. There are also bolders that go up and down, and bullets that go accross you have to avoid. My question: When I play the game concentraiting on the character I get a score of 800 or so, but when I sing a song I know like "take me out to the ballgame" I get a much higher score. Can someone explain this to me?

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:25 CDT