Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Bridging Cultures Institute 2002 Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Welcome
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2002-07-20 20:02:13
Link to this Comment: 2271

Glad you're here. Think of this as a place for more conversation, not a place for "formal" writing. The idea is to "think out loud" so others can learn from your
thoughts in progress, and you from theirs. This is also a place where our conversations can be useful to people beyond the institute. I'm looking forward to hearing
what everyone has to say, and learning from all of it. Hope you are too.

Bridging the Cultures
Name: Carolyn Fi
Date: 2002-07-22 11:39:00
Link to this Comment: 2272

I expect to share, refine and receive innovative,"tried and true"( research based) ideas of bridging the subject matter in our curriculum to provide students with a more indepth six grade education.

Bridging the Cultures
Date: 2002-07-22 11:40:00
Link to this Comment: 2273

I expect to share, refine and receive innovative,"tried and true"( research based) ideas of bridging the subject matter in our curriculum to provide students with a more indepth six grade education.

Name: shirley da
Date: 2002-07-22 11:43:32
Link to this Comment: 2274

I hope to get some information about how to frame students thinking about
how they can begin to learn scientific ways of thinking.

My expectation is that I will be better equipped to lead students in the
inquiry method of science.

Name: shirley da
Date: 2002-07-22 11:43:56
Link to this Comment: 2275

I hope to get some information about how to frame students thinking about
how they can begin to learn scientific ways of thinking.

My expectation is that I will be better equipped to lead students in the
inquiry method of science.

Bridging Cultures
Name: Dr. Gerald
Date: 2002-07-22 11:45:35
Link to this Comment: 2276

I expect to receive ideas and materials that can be brought back to BFHS (Benjamin Franklin High School) and will be shared with the different dept. in our school.

Bridging Cultures
Name: Dr. Gerald
Date: 2002-07-22 11:45:36
Link to this Comment: 2277

I expect to receive ideas and materials that can be brought back to BFHS (Benjamin Franklin High School) and will be shared with the different dept. in our school.

expectations
Name: Charles Fo
Date: 2002-07-22 11:45:47
Link to this Comment: 2278

My expectations for the next two weeks is to gain knowledge or strategies that I can possibly incorporate into the current curiculum. As a Science Prep teacher I try to present a hands-on approach and encourage critical thinking by my students. There are other educators here from very diverse backrounds and years of experience. I think it will be interesting to hear other perspectives.

Welcome again.
Name: Tola Oront
Date: 2002-07-22 11:46:52
Link to this Comment: 2279

It is such a blessing to be back here after a 2-year break. I am excited about this institute because of the way the whole thing started this morning. I believe I am more confident because of various experiences that I have had over the past 2 years.
Starting off this morning with the appeals and challenges of various disciplines is an eye opener. The fact that we were able to go through all our findings and still discover some areas of similarities is exciting. It has always been an issue to try and bridge any gap between disciplines but now I am hoping that at the end of this institute I will have the skills or the know-how to bridge the gap between diffent disciplines in my class. It should be a rewarding time.

First Day
Name: RaMona Ada
Date: 2002-07-22 11:47:04
Link to this Comment: 2280

This morning we had a very good session. It was helpful to collaborate with other teachers on the likes and dislikes of the students we teach. There was a general agreement that most students like working with hands-on material. I expect to learn in the next two weeks some new techniques that will help me to integrate science with other subject areas. I also expect to become more familiar with MAC. I'm very interested in learning about the gender differences in cognitive abilities. Are girls smarter than boys in cetain content areas?

Exectations
Name: Tom Witkow
Date: 2002-07-22 11:47:13
Link to this Comment: 2281

I've enrolled for this course so I could better adapt my teaching to the increasingly broad range of backgrounds I've been finding among my students, particularly ninth grade students who come from a variety of "feeder" schools. I also hope to better relate the physical sciences to other disciplines, and to real life experience.

Expextations form Bridging Cultures 2002
Name: Sylvia Coo
Date: 2002-07-22 11:48:05
Link to this Comment: 2282

While teaching solely the discipline of Science to 7th graders is still
quite new, I am looking for ideas,methods, etc. of making that task
easier for me and at the same time meaningful for the students that I am to teach. The conversation this morning also emphasized the need for viewing
my teaching assignment from a more holistic approach.

Students' interests/dislikes.
Name: Tunde Oron
Date: 2002-07-22 11:50:59
Link to this Comment: 2283

It's really impressive the way we started off this morning looking into what makes students feel comfortable and vice versa in our classroom. The discussion opened my eyes to the need for me to focus more on what students like the most and at the same try to encourage them to have interest in what they don't like but I know is good for their education. Actually this is very important because kids don't really know what's good for them. All they know or want to know is what they "think" is good for them. We as adults and trained professionals have to put our feet down (not all the time) and do what we have to do i the interest of the kids.

From the name of the institute i.e "Bridging cultures" there's a need to be aware that our kids are from various backgrounds which also dictates what they'll probably be interested in and what they'll not. Even within the same culture, kids are different intellectually based on so many factors one of them being socio-economic.

Institute Expectations
Name: Randal Hol
Date: 2002-07-22 11:51:17
Link to this Comment: 2284

I am not entirely clear on what we will be attempting to "bridge" at least in the cultural arena. However, I am sure it will become clear to me very shortly. As it pertains to expectations, I am always eager to increase my repetoire of science activities.

My Expectations
Name: Lois Macke
Date: 2002-07-22 11:51:37
Link to this Comment: 2285

My expectations for the duration of these sessions,are to gleam information from the various facilitators on the Topic of " Bridging Culture" in the various aspects of curriculum.

Name: sharon lee
Date: 2002-07-22 12:17:41
Link to this Comment: 2286

During these two weeks I expect to learn more about how actually we can bridge cultures, implement new ideas, share what works, what doesn't. Implement group dynamics, as well as, different methods of challenging our children to get it " less wrong".sh

Science/biology
Name: donna r. p
Date: 2002-07-22 12:23:41
Link to this Comment: 2287

My true interest for the next two weeks is to gather as much information regarding intergrating the subject of science with other areas of discipline such as math, social studies and english. I would like to learn more about the elementary & middle school teaching methods.how we can close the gap between the middle school and high school curricula instruction. look at what we can do as educators/administrators to make the change from elem /middle to high school a smooth transition.

Issues in bridging disciplines
Name: Paul B.
Date: 2002-07-22 18:07:03
Link to this Comment: 2288

One of the issues we discussed this morning was the complaints from students when teachers try to "bridge" disciplines in the science classroom. I remember someone mentioning resistance to including writing and/or spelling grading in science assignments.

I was wondering what sorts of ideas teachers had for dealing with the students resistance to mixing the disciplines.

Paul

tradeoffs between process and content
Name: Paul B
Date: 2002-07-22 21:24:04
Link to this Comment: 2289

Late in the day we got into a discussion about process and content in teaching. There were comments made that there need not be a tradeoff between a more student-oriented hand-ons learning experience and the amount of content the students are exposed to. In your experience, is this the case?

Good conversation
Date: 2002-07-23 08:44:59
Link to this Comment: 2290

In answer to Paul B's implied question, it was Randal who raised the issue of student resistance to integrated teaching of disciplines. And I too think that's an important issue. At the same time, I think we need (for reasons Paul B mentioned, among others) to help students get over that resistance, and that it will become easier as students encounter integrated teaching more uniformly throughout their educational experiences.

Randal also said something about how science should be taught in a way that "confirms or challenges existing beliefs" rather than as just something that is. Maybe that's a general principle, applicable to all disciplines/kinds of teaching? Its another way of saying one needs to engage with students where they are, instead of trying to "teach" them something for no obvious reason to them.

The Earth
Date: 2002-07-23 09:44:22
Link to this Comment: 2291

I prefer to believe that the Earth is round. The reason I believe that the Earth is not flat is the fact that there is no end. No has seen the end of the earth and no one has proven to me that the Earth is in fact flat. Therefore, the story I tend to believe is that the Earth is round. Why else would the world globe be round?

The round earth
Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 09:45:17
Link to this Comment: 2292

We believe the earth is round because of prior knowledge pertaining to
Christoper Columbus who sailed into unknown territory and did not fall off
the edge as warned by other navigators. In addition, we have experienced
traveling on the water for many days without falling off.

Round Earth
Name: Randal Hol
Date: 2002-07-23 09:46:01
Link to this Comment: 2293

The round Earth concept is supported by images taken by satellite photgraphs and images captured by various space travel vehicles owned by different countries. Thus, unless some sort of global conspiracy exisits aimed at duping the Earth's six billion residents, the Earth is in fact very nearly round.

the earth is round
Date: 2002-07-23 09:46:01
Link to this Comment: 2294

The eaarth is round appeals to me because, Christopher Columbus sailed to the new world thus, I think the surface needs to be something other than flat. There are other parts of the earth and outer space that would not seem to fit on a flat surface. The rotation of the earth indicates to me that it could not be a flat surface. THE EARTH MUST BE ROUND!

story preferemce
Name: S. Cooper
Date: 2002-07-23 09:46:44
Link to this Comment: 2295

The earth is round. Previous teachings indicate the earth is round.
Using references that show pictures of the earth it appears to be round.

Sylvia /Lois

The round earth
Name: shdaly and
Date: 2002-07-23 09:46:58
Link to this Comment: 2296

We believe the earth is round because of prior knowledge pertaining to
Christoper Columbus who sailed into unknown territory and did not fall off
the edge as warned by other navigators. In addition, we have experienced
traveling on the water for many days without falling off.

Flat/Round earth
Name: Tunde and
Date: 2002-07-23 09:46:58
Link to this Comment: 2297

We are of the opinion that the earth is round. I fact we prefer it to be round because of the following;

1. No one will fall off the edges because it is round.

2. There is no beginning and no ending.

3. Night and day which are the result of a round shaped earth will not exist

if the earth was flat.

4. Time zones will be non existent with a flat earth.

5. Different weather seasons as we know it are the result of a round earth.

Shape of earh
Name: Tom
Date: 2002-07-23 09:47:31
Link to this Comment: 2298

It is likely that the earth is neither flat nor round. It is spherical.
This can be demonstrated by a variety of "experiments". One is by circumnavigation in any direction.

earth
Name: Marita Wag
Date: 2002-07-23 09:48:22
Link to this Comment: 2299

I prefer the earth is round theory firstly because that is what current beliefs are and that is what I have been taught to believe. Secondly, I believe this could be true because I can only view the earth for a certain distance ( I'm told 15 miles). This would be consistent with the roundness theory. Also, I can see the moon and other heavenly bodies which appear to be round. Also, the evidence of the shadow of the earth on the moon forming its crescent is convincing evidence.

Shape of earh
Date: 2002-07-23 09:49:01
Link to this Comment: 2300

It is likely that the earth is neither flat nor round. It is spherical.
This can be demonstrated by a variety of "experiments". One is by circumnavigation in any direction.

Flat/round earth
Date: 2002-07-23 09:51:43
Link to this Comment: 2301

I believe the earth is a sphere. Navigators and explorers even in earlier times understood that the earth was round based on their maps that have been found. Satellite photos have also indicated that the earth is round. The Flat Earth Society is a "tongue and cheek" organization that is often associated with biblical beliefs. However, the Bible does not state that the earth is flat.(Isaiah 40:22)

evolution from a bridging perspective
Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 09:53:33
Link to this Comment: 2302

i believe the earth is round. reason, scientist have already done researh on this problem. modern technology has made it possible to photograph the earth from space. and because that is what i was taught over and over again

Sun/Earth
Date: 2002-07-23 10:00:47
Link to this Comment: 2303

The Earth goes around the sun because when you stand and look up at the sun it seems to be completely still. But when you begin to walk to sun moves with you. Therefore, when the earth or objects on earth move the sun follows. Hence, the eath goes around the sun.

earth moves around sun
Name: carolyn fi
Date: 2002-07-23 10:02:33
Link to this Comment: 2304

I believe the earth moves around the sun, according to observations and investigations by astromers showing evidence of the earth's movement. The solar system is thus named because of the position of the sun and the revoling of the earth.

Name: shdaly and
Date: 2002-07-23 10:03:11
Link to this Comment: 2305

We believe that the Earth revolves around the sun because that is what we
learned from our science courses. It is the reason for the seasons because
the earth is tilted on it's axis. In this position the earth is in differen
positions in relation to the sun.

Getting around to it
Date: 2002-07-23 10:03:45
Link to this Comment: 2306

Depending on one's point of reference either statement may be true. I prefer the sun centered story because it requires less complicated geometry to explain. I will, however, continue to use such terms a "sunrise and sunset" just to keep life simple.

earth/sun:which is the center
Date: 2002-07-23 10:04:05
Link to this Comment: 2307

From the observation of one on earth, the sun does appear revolve around the earth. However, Galileo was correct(not less wrong) the earth revovles around the Sun.

Heliocentrism
Name: Randal
Date: 2002-07-23 10:04:18
Link to this Comment: 2308

I cannot discuss any reasons for this belief based on personal observations. Again, it is a conclusion I have drawn based on the obsevations of others who's findings and interpretations I have confidence in.

sun/earth
Date: 2002-07-23 10:04:20
Link to this Comment: 2309

I prefer the earth goes around the sun once again for reasons that I have been told. (Questions of relativity of course must be set aside.) Observations of the sun setting and rising would be counter to this belief on the face of it.

Movement of the earth
Date: 2002-07-23 10:04:43
Link to this Comment: 2310

The earth goes around the sun. Why ?In past observations of scientist, previous theory has proven this to be factual.
Sylvia /Lois

The Earth On The Move
Date: 2002-07-23 10:04:57
Link to this Comment: 2311

We will prefer that the earth moves around the sun for many reasons among which are:
a, The sun is too big to move around.
b, Movement of the earth effects the day and night phenomenon
c, If the sun moves it could bump into other planets and eventually knock us out of the solar system.
d, The earth movement causes the winds to blow from place to place.
e, Heat and cold are a direct result of the earth moving around the sun.

Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 10:07:55
Link to this Comment: 2312

i prefer the story of galileo that the earth goes around the sun.reason he was able to use a instrument in their era would have been considerd advanced (teloscope)to aid him to look into space. modern tech has improved this equipment and made it possible to confirm this discovery. and i was taught this over and over again in school

Evolution
Date: 2002-07-23 10:29:20
Link to this Comment: 2313

Existing forms are as they are because of a previous and ongoing process of evolution consisting of random change and natural selection. I believe this because my social studies teachers would show the class pictures and films of how man has evolved. When you are young you tend to believe those less wrong stories and when you get old you hold on to them.

I think therefore I am what I am.
Name: your name
Date: 2002-07-23 10:30:09
Link to this Comment: 2314

These stories are not mutually exclusive. I've been educated by different instituions to accept all three stories. I believe them all to be true, tough the latter two require a faith in something which is, by definition, unobservable.

story III
Date: 2002-07-23 10:30:19
Link to this Comment: 2315

I prefer a combination of 1 and 3. I do not believe that the theory of evolution negates the creation theory. Perhaps 2 and 3 could also be a possibility. There's nothing to say evolution couldn't be a tool of the "supernatural being".

Name: shirley an
Date: 2002-07-23 10:31:09
Link to this Comment: 2316

We believe in number two because we believe in a supreme being being God
who created the earth and everything in it. We believe he continue to
affect life and everything in it. This is a belief souly based on religion.

beginning life forms
Date: 2002-07-23 10:34:13
Link to this Comment: 2317

This idea is sooooooo amazing to me. In a bibical sense I accept that the earth evolved by a supernatural being with a plan and intent to create life.
From science I believe that life evolved from lower cells, maybe the ocean.

Supernatural Being?
Date: 2002-07-23 10:34:58
Link to this Comment: 2318

I am uncomfortable with the idea that a supernatural being would perform an act that ultimately leads to failure. Failure, I describe as being the continual extinction of various species. Also, new organisms come into existence on a continual basis, which implies an ongoing experiment (or act) that has gone haywire. Further, these organisms come into existence in response to environmental concerns. So, unless the "being" is also continually tweaking environmental factors as well, this idea poses problems. (mutations)

Evolution vs Supermatural Being
Name: Cooper/Mac
Date: 2002-07-23 10:36:55
Link to this Comment: 2319

I select story #2 based on my personal biblical beliefs.

Supernatural being in on going creation.
Date: 2002-07-23 10:38:18
Link to this Comment: 2320

We prefer to believe that a Supernatural being started the process of creation and is still involved in its ultimate perfection for the following reasons;

1. The orederliness and precision that characterises nature is only explanable with the subject of our writing. For example, we are presently in a computer lab with all the computers, tables, lightings etc in place. It's only logical to argue that an intelligent technician put them in place with specific guidelines. Anything short of that will tantamount to chaos.

2. According to the Bible, this Supernatural being promised that if we ask anything in His Name, He will grant it. This explains the assertion that He is still involved in the process of creation and bringing it to perfection.

Storytelling 3: Existing Life
Date: 2002-07-23 10:40:46
Link to this Comment: 2321

As a Christian, I believe that all life forms, including humans, are the result of a supernatural being (God) who exists outside of time, space, and matter. He had a plan and purpose for all of His creation and continues to involve Himself in His creation. Because we have been created with a freewill, it is our choice to respond to His involvement. I also do not think there is a conflict between science and creation.

Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 10:47:41
Link to this Comment: 2322

i prefer to go with other. reason, i'm not confortable in responding to the chooses that were avaible. i believe that a higher being created life form and that science studies the reproductive process with intent to alter or change for scientific purposes or i my not truly understand

Where to teach what
Date: 2002-07-23 11:47:56
Link to this Comment: 2323

The story of evolution sould be told in science classrooms. There is sufficient evidence to support this as a viable theory.
Other stories should be told in other venues by those qualified to tell them.

Name: lee and sh
Date: 2002-07-23 11:48:10
Link to this Comment: 2324

We prefer to teach evolution as one among several equally good stories of origins in science classrooms. The reason we choose this one is because of
the different beliefs systems we would find in the classroom. This approach
possibly would not offend any group.

evolution in the classroom
Date: 2002-07-23 11:48:57
Link to this Comment: 2325

My preference is to teach evolution as one of several "good" stories of orgin in the science classroom because, there is really no absolute proof that any one story is completely wrong /without merit. Science and religon are not complete opposites.

Education or Indoctrination?
Date: 2002-07-23 11:50:38
Link to this Comment: 2326

It would appear that it takes a certain kind of individual to be an educator in respects to the issue of teaching evolution or creationism. It is far more easier, and societally acceptable, to choose one belief or the other. Moreover, depending upon your institution of learning, you not even have any choice in the matter. In light of this, an overwhelming number of us, albeit unintentionally, prove to be indoctrinators of either pricinciples of evolution or creationism.

s/p issue
Date: 2002-07-23 11:50:39
Link to this Comment: 2327

I prefer selection 2. Firstly, because while there is evidence of evolutionary phenomena it may not be the total influence on what is existent and therefore should not be presented as such. Secondly, to respect those who believe differently other theories should be included.

Evolution and others
Date: 2002-07-23 11:51:33
Link to this Comment: 2328

We'll prefer to teach evolution as one of the stories of creation that are equally good stories of origin in science simply because of the following;

1. The missing links. The story of evolution is not complete since there are too many vacuums or unanswered questions. Other stories will help to fill this vacuum.

2. The story of evolution is kind of fascinating considering how it's able to put together a sensible explanation of existence of forms of life. It's scentific to make observation and try to offer an explanation.

Origin:Which Story as Part of Science Educationo
Name: Cooper / M
Date: 2002-07-23 11:52:44
Link to this Comment: 2329

Our selection would be # 2. All stories of orgin should be investigated in the science classroom. Affording students the opportunity to be exposed to different view points, whereby they will be able to draw their own conclusion.

teaching preference
Date: 2002-07-23 11:55:25
Link to this Comment: 2330

I would teach various models of origin in Science. If students are supposed to be taught to think then they should be able examine the evidence and see which model does the evidence agree with. There is often an assumption that one who proposes a creation model is bias because they are including God. Why is the scientist who excludes a creator or ultimate truth not equally as biased because one option has already been eliminated as an option.

Teach Evolution
Date: 2002-07-23 11:55:37
Link to this Comment: 2331

I believe that the story of evolution as well as other stories in other classes should be taught. There are many stories and or legends that have been passed on from generation to generation. Let the children decide if they believe them or not.

Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 11:55:41
Link to this Comment: 2332

i selected ques.#2 teach evolution as one among several equally good stories of origins in the classroom. reason, this would allow students to develop a broader perspective related to the topic of evolution. creat open discussion to express personal opinions and to challenge reseach information.

question
Name: mlw
Date: 2002-07-23 13:14:08
Link to this Comment: 2333

I don't like typing http:// all the time. Can't somebody make a key to automatically type it or somehow dispense with it?

web searching course
Date: 2002-07-23 13:17:29
Link to this Comment: 2334

online web searching course - pa.professionaleducation.org

Questions from AM
Name: John Thoma
Date: 2002-07-23 13:17:42
Link to this Comment: 2335

What are the nine ways to be a base runner safe at first base in major league baseball?

More on Galileo
Date: 2002-07-23 13:18:28
Link to this Comment: 2336

I am curious. Galileo's book was banned reading for a time, but what was decided regarding the usage of telescopes. Was the telescope once considered contraband or even an instrument of crime? If so, what was done with those who possessed knowledge about the telescope's construction?

evolution
Date: 2002-07-23 13:20:32
Link to this Comment: 2337

I sincerely believe that all teachers and administrators should keep abreast with current trends information in education especially science, what was true yesterday maybe not be true tomorrow. Space travel has changed a lot.
Teaching evolution a different way, some people think there always has to be a right answer.
I feel enlighten , refreshed, more confident to teach science because of these sessions. It began with Brain and Behavior, Diversity and Discovery, now Bridging Cultures. It is different yet connected and useful.
Thank you for the opportunity to learn, network and have fun.

Evolution and Culture Bridging.
Name: Tunde & To
Date: 2002-07-23 13:23:33
Link to this Comment: 2338

We were just wondering how to link EVOLUTION that we have been discussing today with the institute topic, BRIDGING CULTURES. How do they relate and how can we put these together in the classrooms as teachers?
On the other hand could it be that the topic of evolution and all other surrounding stories are regarded as various cultures to bridge? If that is it then why EVOLUTION? Just curious!!.

NSTA Convention
Date: 2002-07-23 13:24:59
Link to this Comment: 2339

FYI

The eastern convention will be held during March 27-30 here in Philadelphia. I advise folks to join the NSTA, so as to receive appropriate discounts at the convention. I believe membership dues are still only $67. The cost is tax deductible. The 2004 convention will be held in Virginia. Did somebody say roadtrip?

Name: Shirley an
Date: 2002-07-23 13:33:47
Link to this Comment: 2340

Today's lecture is very much like the constructivist method of teaching,
students are allowed to take ownership of their own learning. Students
poise questions about topics or ideas that they want answers to, somewhat
like action research, in that they are experiencing a discomfort with the
way things are and, therefore, there is a need to address that discomfort.

In terms of the CLUMPINESS OF LIFE of I would have to get this information
directly from a book or other resources in order to address this concept.

Mystery elements
Date: 2002-07-23 13:37:30
Link to this Comment: 2341

Try to identify each of the four elements identified below. Hint: These elements belong to the same family (group), the members of which are all gases at room temperature.
1. commonly used in advertizing signs.
2. first discovered on the sun and used in weather balloons.
3. first element of this group to be formed into compounds with another element.
4. the member of this family (group) present in the largest amount in air.

july23,02 lesson
Name:
Date: 2002-07-23 13:48:53
Link to this Comment: 2342

the lesson approach taught by paul g. this morning was extremely stimulating to me as a educator/student.basically because it made me evaluate my own critical thinking skills and how i would address certain science related topics.i strongly believe that all teachers would benefit from this type of teaching style. however, in order for teachers to adopt this type of teaching method it will take a great deal of professional development and field experience with a mentor as a facilitator to support the teacher with implementing the new teaching method. i just have a concern about turn around training which is not how i really feel it should be labeled because its not a one time thing.hopefully you understand my dilemma regarding these comments.

Gender, ethnicity, and science
Date: 2002-07-23 14:52:40
Link to this Comment: 2344

Who was the only person to win a Nobel prize for science more than once?

Internet Usage for Primary Grades
Date: 2002-07-23 14:53:38
Link to this Comment: 2345

The following web sites will be quite useful to elementary school teachers who have little on no training in Internet exploration themselves. The lessons are presented in a step by step manner and are ideal for small or large grouping of students. Enjoy!

http://www.miamisci.org/ii/

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr028.shtml

Web search (world of wonders)
Date: 2002-07-23 15:02:27
Link to this Comment: 2346

The different search engines we visited have suggestions on the hunt for materials to teach science in the classroom. Where there are broad topics but no specifics some search engines have explicitly highlighted particular areas of probable lessons. Also adding fun and humor to the teaching of science could be found through some of these search engines.

Lesson plans breakdown by subject or topic will be of tremendous help to us as classroom teachers.

Following search engines were utilized;

1. Yahoo.

2. Dogpile.

3. Discovery.com.

4. AskEric.

5. AskJeeves.

6. Google.

bugs education
Name: donna
Date: 2002-07-23 15:05:23
Link to this Comment: 2347

http://www.educationworld.com/a_special/bugs_2000.shtml/
classroom activities on bugs

bugs education
Name: donna
Date: 2002-07-23 15:09:19
Link to this Comment: 2348

http://www.educationworld.com/a_special/bugs_2000.shtml/
classroom activities on bugs

Websites
Name: S.Cooper
Date: 2002-07-23 15:09:40
Link to this Comment: 2349

b@@iology4kids.com

Seventh grade teachers will be asked to teach cell this coming school year
in Septenber and October. This website has good information and diagrams.

web search
Name: Charles fo
Date: 2002-07-23 15:23:35
Link to this Comment: 2350

www.emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/teach.org. www.probe.org/docs/cr-evol.org.
www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/info.fs.html
www.fordamfoundation.org/library/learner/gsbsteis.html#Pressures
The 4 sites discuss the evolution debate in classrooms from both prespectives

Color
Name: Gerald Was
Date: 2002-07-24 11:47:35
Link to this Comment: 2351

Terrific multimedia presentation. One application in Biology would be having students bring in pages from magazines and newspapers and examine them under 40 or 100X of a light microscope.

Impressions
Date: 2002-07-24 11:51:09
Link to this Comment: 2352

I appreciated the explanations of additive and subtractive mixing of colors, and the relationship of both these phenomena to the perception of color. This will be most applicable to my biology classes (if any).

Colors
Date: 2002-07-24 11:51:44
Link to this Comment: 2353

It was interesting to learn about colors and how different cultures perceive them. It seems as if the most important color distinctions are black and white hence, dark and light. This information could prove to be useful in the classroom social studies curriculum when teaching children about different cultures.

Application
Date: 2002-07-24 11:56:46
Link to this Comment: 2354

Though I've done it before, Ill be better able to relate the history of chemistry to the history of art and the history of philosophy. I'll also be better able to explain the determination of electron orbitals.

Application
Date: 2002-07-24 11:57:20
Link to this Comment: 2355

Though I've done it before, Ill be better able to relate the history of chemistry to the history of art and the history of philosophy. I'll also be better able to explain the determination of electron orbitals.

Color Response
Date: 2002-07-24 11:57:23
Link to this Comment: 2356

The presentation on color this morning may change the way I address colors with my students in the future. I don't think I would be discussing vectors because I'm an elementary science teacher. However, when I discuss prisms and rainbows I will try to incorporate some of the negative and additive color combinations. Alot of the other material would be more appropriate with older students.

Color Presentation
Date: 2002-07-24 11:59:07
Link to this Comment: 2357

I found it to be quite interesting that period and geography had such a large impact on the development of colors from a historical standpoint. A person's ability to express oneself artistically must have been somewhat constraining to an individual who sought to challenge existing conventions. Is there an accounting of "exploratory" works of art that were considered to be outside the norm for a particular period? And, how were these works of art treated by comtemporaries?

Applications

I would like to design some activities that utilize the custom color feature within PowerPoint to help students gain a better understanding of how our eyes use only three color receptors to assist the brain in making some color determination.

color
Date: 2002-07-24 11:59:44
Link to this Comment: 2358

"Color", presented by Dr.Sharon Burgmayer was excellent, thought provoking , interactive and bridged curricular. I related the last portion (colors in different periods with paintings I see in various museums) as another reasons some paintings looks so, depressing in different time periods.
Her paintings and garden show an array of colors in and out of the spectrum.
I wished I had a color chart with me when I purchased carpet for a room Thursday. Color is important to me!

Morning Session: Reaction
Date: 2002-07-24 12:04:05
Link to this Comment: 2359

I enjoyed the mornig session on colors. I feel confident that I would be able to integrate a lot of the information for a science/art lessons for my students.Learning about the various format of coloring was a very interesting lesson that could lead into a history session. The students could aquire a lot more knowledge that could help them to be more active participate when going on a museum class trip.They could learned about the toxic compounds used when the various paintings were painted. The lessons could be adapted for any grade level.Over - all, very informative.

Teaching Sci. in an intergrated manner: Color
Date: 2002-07-24 12:05:49
Link to this Comment: 2360

I enjoyed the presentation. Learning about color mixing was new to me.
I could see how it could be intergrated into a Scicence or math lesson at
the high school level. Elememtary students would be fascinated to see the various color changes using the overhead projector or slide presentation.

I think that it would move the children's thinking about color in a new direction.

color
Date: 2002-07-24 12:07:37
Link to this Comment: 2362

Even though we were exposed to the discussion of color last summer in the inquiry-oriented teaching of science institute my understanding became much clearer this time. I really liked the vector representation and Maxwell's triangle. The history of art and pigment development was also very interesting.

COLOR
Date: 2002-07-24 12:11:34
Link to this Comment: 2363

"Color", in my classroom is not a major part of the curriculum. However, I have used colors with other activities discovering primary colors, mixing colors to discover other colors , afterimage and eye brain activities. But, now I will find out where "Color" ideally should be presented and what students should know in grade 6 according to 2061 Benchmarks.

Bridging colors.
Name: Tunde/ Tol
Date: 2002-07-24 12:12:59
Link to this Comment: 2364

Initially we were wondering how colors could be related to the Institute, Bridging cultures and how this will apply to classroom experiences.
But from the presentation by Sharon we now understand that colors could be a whole world of wonders in the classroom. She touched on how colors could be related to diffrent cultures ranging from academic areas to cultural backgrounds.

APPLICATION:

Some of the students we teach respond to light reflections differently. As teachers we have to be sensitive to their various responses. In the case of a color blind student, he or she cannot discriminate the different lights' reflections accordingly.

color/chemistry
Name:
Date: 2002-07-24 12:55:23
Link to this Comment: 2365

the lesson presented by sharon gave a different twist on teaching the mixture of colors and how it relates to chemistry.unfortunately i missed a small portion of the presentation but hopefully what i was able to gather from her lesson is that mixing of colors is basically a perception based on light. the primary colors are red,green,blue but when mixed you may get a range of colors.sharon spoke of colors that are not true colors such as magenta and yellow because of how the eye (cones) react to light. this could open up a number of classroom lessons related to colorblindness, a childs perception of color. interms of what age does a child distinguish color when its not through repetitive teaching? this type of subject could be used throughout the curriculum in all subject areas.in addition this could be a great senior project or serive learning component for elem-high school.

evolution of color
Name: Anne Dalke
Date: 2002-07-24 13:14:09
Link to this Comment: 2366

Kaye Edwards and I, who will be doing the next two presentations in the Institute, sat in on Sharon Burgmayer's session this morning, and reveled in the visual feast she'd prepared for us--it made me realize how limited my own palette is, how limited my understanding of color and how it "works." Talking afterwards, Kaye and I also found ourselves wondering

--do animals have the same cones/see the same colors we do?
(if so, why, why not?) if fewer, are they a subset of ours? if different, well...what are they? (how can we know?)

--why are our receptors for red/green/blue? it's curious to me, for instance, that they aren't evenly spaced across the color spectrum...so: do those/did those particular colors serve some use-function @ some time in evolutionary history?

--Sharon mentioned to me afterwards that some (few?) people have a 4th cone/receptor...is this a futher step in evolution? what does the world look like to them? do they have a more nuanced...palette? can they...paint what they see?

Color vision ???
Date: 2002-07-24 14:46:31
Link to this Comment: 2367

Nice questions, Anne and Kaye, less easy to answer in a few words or (of course) definitively.

No, not all animals have the same cones. In fact, many animals have no cones at all, only rods. Those are noctural animals, whose eyes are adapted for low light conditions. By surveying percentages and distributions of rods and cones in different animals, one can make a pretty strong argument that cones evolved specifically to make possible good vision in daylight, and only secondarily made possible "color vision".

Different animals have different numbers of cones, and no, they are not necessarily a subset of ours. In fact, there is, at the moment, no generally accepted reason for why our three cones have the sensitivities they do (long, medium, and short, NOT "red", "blue", and "green"). There seems to be more than a little arbitrariness/randomness in this (as for much else in evolution). What's critical for wavelength discrimination is not "even spacing" but rather any spacing that assures that at least two cones overlap with different sensitivities at each wavenlength.

Some women may indeed have a 4th cone receptor, for reasons having to do with the phenomenon of X inactivation (one X chromosome in each female's cell is inactivated, with the choice of which being random and different for each cell). It doesn't produce a dramatic difference in palette, indeed its hard to be sure because it doesn't (cf. Looking for Madam Tetrachromat.

LOTS of stuff on the web related to these subjects. For an overview on animal variation see Vision in Early Mammals.

Hope this helps, one way or another.

HEALTH ISSUES
Date: 2002-07-25 12:07:22
Link to this Comment: 2368

The morning lecture was very interesting. I was surprised to see the link between health issues and the sciences. Kay surely must have a great time teaching using this type of twist. I now know that you can take almost any subject and link it with science. That's why science is so great!

Thursday morning
Date: 2002-07-25 12:38:28
Link to this Comment: 2369

Ms. Edwards showed some good examples of "bridging cultures" in various areas of inquiry. The activity which involved finding science-related material in newspapers/magazines struck me--especially the pervasive use of science in advertisements.

Thursday AM
Date: 2002-07-25 12:48:24
Link to this Comment: 2370

Many of my colleagues seemed to believe that creation and evolution should have equal standing in the science class. I believe there is enough scientific evidence to make it appropriate to teach evolution as an accepted theory. We should, however, limit ourselves to just teaching about creationism as a belief held by many people, and we should offer no judgments about its validity.

Women and health
Date: 2002-07-25 13:04:03
Link to this Comment: 2371

Ms.Edwards was a delightful speaker. She brought many refrences and
stimulated my interest in Science via the health field.
Using the newspaper and current magazines seems like a good way to get my
students involved.

Outbreaks and Epidemics
Date: 2002-07-25 13:05:56
Link to this Comment: 2372

I would like to learn more about how outbreaks and epidemics were dealt with in various societies, not only by those who practiced medicine but those who dictated public policy. I am remembering a scene from a Monty Python movie in which workers were assigned to travel through various neighborhoods and collect diseased individuals while shouting "Bring out your dead". Its depiction, humorous as it was, perhaps may not have been far off from what was actually true.

Reaction to This Morning Session
Date: 2002-07-25 13:12:58
Link to this Comment: 2374

I truly enjoy this morning session " Women and Health " with Dr. Kaye Edwards. The group assignment using the various articles in the newspapers, or the magazines, that were either science,or science related,how it stirred up a lot of energy in the room. You were able to witness how an assignment of this nature could engage students in learning that could draw their interest, engage them to interact with one another on a positive note, and stir up other interests that could serve them in the future when deciding on career goals.Pesonally, I saw many of ways that I could uterlize this activity in my own classroom. This truly was evident of "bridging culture" in curriculum.

women and health
Name:
Date: 2002-07-25 13:15:37
Link to this Comment: 2375

kaye edwards was really good this morning. she started out by dicussing the educational exposure of each one of her children, whos grade level ranged from a tenth grade to a third grade student.she addresses the fact that in looking at her childrens educational curriculum the science piece was not always integrated with other major subjects.from that point kaye shifted the lesson by having each on of us focus on finding an article in the news that related to science or biology and to see how does the artilce adresses the biological component.or you could have looked for a article that does not address the sciences but you see where science could have been a major component to the article.we also explored how other interdisciplines could have made the article much more informative to the reader.by having a open discussion everyone was able to share ideas brainstorm about the article and even develop some classroom activties that could lead into really good science projects.it was a pleasure listening to kaye this morning, i believe i will be able to use some of the information and ideas in my school this year.

women and health
Date: 2002-07-25 13:16:09
Link to this Comment: 2376

This morning's session was helpful. I enjoyed the newspaper activity. I have done this type of activity with my students before but in the future I will use it on a consistient basis. Perhaps this will help the students avoid a phobia of science and view science as a routine part of everyday life.

picture interpretation
Date: 2002-07-26 09:58:53
Link to this Comment: 2377

I see a contrast between the upper colorful swirling portion of the picture and the subdued structured lower portion. It seems as if the energy of the upper portion is either coming out or entering the lower portion.

Tom and Jerry
Name: Tom and Je
Date: 2002-07-26 10:00:56
Link to this Comment: 2378

We initially saw volcanic plumes spewing forth from four pyradimal structures positioned rendomly on a grid of alternating brown and white rectangular planes.
the above discription also holds true for the contents of Jerry's stomach after he has consumed a superfluity of oysters.

Explosive Knowledge
Name: Sharon/Cla
Date: 2002-07-26 10:03:02
Link to this Comment: 2379

The pyramid represents the beginning of knowledge. As you grow, your knowledge expands to an unknown level. It's powerful and unlimited.

Sharon Lee/Claudette Stone

Analytical thinking
Date: 2002-07-26 10:04:02
Link to this Comment: 2380

We see a chess board with some pyramids indicating the thinking process and output. In a chess game people are usually required to think deeply before making any move. In this picture we can see their thinking erupting like a volcanoe. It is initially thick and becomes lighter as it goes up in spirals.
At the peak of the pyramid the thoughts are close but at theupper level they blend to give a colorful array.

Humanities
Date: 2002-07-26 10:04:27
Link to this Comment: 2381

This picture represents the world. On the bottom are the people who fit into a black or white world. No matter what your skin tone may be you will be classified as either white or black. Because of this notion great temples have been built. Within these temples lie the complexity of skin color. When turmoil starts the temples boil and spit out all types of mixed colors. The colors represent the different skin tones and the tornado effect is due to the fight that people of color must pursue to be treated as equal.

art and literature
Date: 2002-07-26 10:04:29
Link to this Comment: 2382

Here we are in the land of make belive!1 We are here to take some chances on pyramids being tortured by those awful terrorist. When they crash they seem to look like a tornado in a bottle creating lots of brilliant color.The blues seem to rule the area. Which color would you choose? Once you're decided on a color all the creatures must change to that color. There is no diversity. Would you want to be here ?

Name: shirley an
Date: 2002-07-26 10:04:43
Link to this Comment: 2383

The picture reminds me of a checker board with pyramids releasing dust and
particles into an area where rings of color are floating out of a yellow
ring cloud. I like the colors.

One usually thinks of a tornado as a terrible experience, but here one sees
small tornadoes evolving into beautiful spirals of colors.

artwork interpretation
Date: 2002-07-26 10:05:57
Link to this Comment: 2384

In thinking in an integration of disciplines manner the picture looks as if it represents the swirling images coming together to form a pyrimid. The swirling could be the various disciplines coming together for concise understanding.

artwork interpretation
Date: 2002-07-26 10:06:09
Link to this Comment: 2385

In thinking in an integration of disciplines manner the picture looks as if it represents the swirling images coming together to form a pyrimid. The swirling could be the various disciplines coming together for concise understanding.

My Picture Veiw
Date: 2002-07-26 10:08:28
Link to this Comment: 2386

I see four pyrimid spere swirling lavendar color from their tips, which then have a larger yellow swirl evolving from it, from this came splatters of different colors shooting upward.

identify image
Name:
Date: 2002-07-26 10:11:58
Link to this Comment: 2387

i think i see a checker board or a chess board of tornados moving in space dust particles of color around the atmosphere.i would relate this to some of the daily activities that happen throughout a normal day in peoples lives.

art and literature
Date: 2002-07-26 10:13:23
Link to this Comment: 2388

Here we are in the land of make belive!1 We are here to take some chances on pyramids being tortured by those awful terrorist. When they crash they seem to look like a tornado in a bottle creating lots of brilliant color.The blues seem to rule the area. Which color would you choose? Once you're decided on a color all the creatures must change to that color. There is no diversity. Would you want to be here ?

Pro and Con
Date: 2002-07-26 10:29:07
Link to this Comment: 2389

Advantage - gaining perspective on individual disciplines by seeing them from another vantage point.

Disadvantage - Cost in time to develop a common language

Advantage - Allow entry for students into a discipline that would otherwise not enter it.

Advantage - seems like more fun for teachers. Would hope that this enthusiam would transfer to student.

Intermingling
Date: 2002-07-26 10:31:13
Link to this Comment: 2390

Interminglings colors is great because then you will get variety. Sometimes when we see the same colors we become bored. So we start to mix them to create more interesting ones. That's how lessons should be presented in the classroom. When you integrate subjects you give the children a chance to explore their own thinking which leads to a better understanding of the material presented. The only disadvantage is trying to get some of the veteran teachers to follow.

Intermingling curricular
Name: Tunde & To
Date: 2002-07-26 10:31:39
Link to this Comment: 2391

With intermingling students can put different ideas together. Remember: Two heads are better than one. Also no one is left out or behind because everyone finds his or her level.
A disadvantage is that a lot of effort will be required to blend ideas if there is a wide range of diversity of ideas. Secondly all the information that revolve around students in a classroom that intermingle curricular could mean less attention span for such students. They really do not get a chance to process one information enough to comprehend it in depth.

intermingling
Date: 2002-07-26 10:31:55
Link to this Comment: 2392

The advantage of intermingling would be that you could get a novel outcome and develop in new areas. The disadvantage might be that issues (like the paint) become clouded and not clearly defined. Refinement and focus on a question is sometimes the only way to get a definitive answer or result. What variables need to be controlled?

pro & con
Name: Jerry & To
Date: 2002-07-26 10:32:28
Link to this Comment: 2393

advantages:
relates science to other aspects of life.
relates other aspects of life to science.
less threatening approach to the study of science.

disadvantages:
may water down science content of topic.
difficult to keep students on track; potential discipline problem.
teacher's areas of expertise may not adequately include other disciplines.

interdisciplinary
Date: 2002-07-26 10:32:56
Link to this Comment: 2394

Elementary teachers and most teacher use multidisciplinary teaching to some degree. There should be more integration/intermingling in order to give more depth to a specific subject. As the intermingling grows so should the conversation between teachers K-12 also college professors. There is an advantage of intermingling because it's "real life" and more content will presented/ learned. "Diversity is the spice of life."

interdisciplinary
Date: 2002-07-26 10:33:12
Link to this Comment: 2395

Elementary teachers and most teacher use multidisciplinary teaching to some degree. There should be more integration/intermingling in order to give more depth to a specific subject. As the intermingling grows so should the conversation between teachers K-12 also college professors. There is an advantage of intermingling because it's "real life" and more content will presented/ learned. "Diversity is the spice of life."

interdisciplinary
Date: 2002-07-26 10:33:21
Link to this Comment: 2396

Intermingling
Name: Sharon Lee
Date: 2002-07-26 10:33:37
Link to this Comment: 2397

The students have a holistic view. It enables them to utilize all disciplines. Exposure to various teaching styles help students to understand and connect information from an array of perspectives.

interdisciplinary
Date: 2002-07-26 10:33:39
Link to this Comment: 2398

interdisciplinary
Date: 2002-07-26 10:33:47
Link to this Comment: 2399

Intermingling
Date: 2002-07-26 10:34:15
Link to this Comment: 2400

The students have a holistic view. It enables them to utilize all disciplines. Exposure to various teaching styles help students to understand and connect information from an array of perspectives.

Intermingling
Name: Mackey / F
Date: 2002-07-26 10:35:51
Link to this Comment: 2401

We both feel that intermingling of the diciplines are is good.
* because the world is a combination of thoughts, ideas, systems.
* it helps to broaden both the teacher and the students.
* it takes away phobia that could exist in subjects such as science and math, enabling the students to see other connections in other subject areas.

Name: Shirley an
Date: 2002-07-26 10:40:26
Link to this Comment: 2402

An advantage ofintermingling is that students would be able to link each subject as a continum of learning as opposed to science is one subject and math is another and two should not meet. Those students who are weak in one
area would feel more comfortable with their learning because there would
not be such a great distinction of subjects. This would show how the different disciplines are related by making them more meaningful for students in their everyday lives. An disadvantge is that more
planning would be required of the teacher.

intermingling curricula advantage/disadvantage
Name:
Date: 2002-07-26 10:45:02
Link to this Comment: 2403

i believe intermingling is at a developmental stage throughtout the educational system. some areas of the country have bought into the concept and have collect data showing academic improvement. however, just as intermingling of race in the educational system was a issue in the late 40"S right into the 60'S our society must adopt the concept of intermingly disciplines by incorporating them into their teaching plans and curriculum. i believe children will benefit from this new way of teaching if we all work from the same page.

Tacit Knowledge
Date: 2002-07-26 12:50:21
Link to this Comment: 2404

The only thing we can think of right now is the way we react to our students on different occasions based on what we had gone through at home the previous night before coming to school. Some days we have come in with a lot of enthusiasm but on others it has been really on the downside emotionally. The mood or the emotional state of our classroom atmosphere had always been determined by our state of mind.

Name: Shirley/Sy
Date: 2002-07-26 12:53:33
Link to this Comment: 2405

Tacit knowledge something that is done unconsciencely
can be a good thing, but when it is something that may be harmful
or not so good it may be very difficult to change.

At this place and time where I am in my teaching of science tacit knowledge did not seem practical although it did evoke some thoughts
for me personally.

tacit learning
Date: 2002-07-26 12:53:41
Link to this Comment: 2406

I really appreciated PG's observation that one must "deal with" students' tacit learning (preconceived notions) in order to really impact their understanding of material that might be contradictory to it.

The exercise of examining tacit ideas is valuable because we can get a more "objective" consideration of a question if we look at it totally free of assumptions.

tacit learning
Name: Jerry Wass
Date: 2002-07-26 12:57:53
Link to this Comment: 2407

I agree with everything M.Wagner said.

Tacit knowledge.
Date: 2002-07-26 13:06:45
Link to this Comment: 2409

Tacit knowledge, activity was fun and quite interesting. We do so many things without giving them a specific title. Then, we know our(public school) students are far more knowledgeable than the STAT-9 Test give them credit for. People in politics who make these laws regarding testing are usually no-educatiors.
I'm enjoying ALL aspects of the INSTITUTE. This is a wonderful opportuity to learn , share knowledge, network ,'leave those confort zones' then, think and DO things differently !!

Tacit knowledge.
Date: 2002-07-26 13:07:01
Link to this Comment: 2410

Tacit knowledge, activity was fun and quite interesting. We do so many things without giving them a specific title. Then, we know our(public school) students are far more knowledgeable than the STAT-9 Test give them credit for. People in politics who make these laws regarding testing are usually no-educatiors.
I'm enjoying ALL aspects of the INSTITUTE. This is a wonderful opportuity to learn , share knowledge, network ,'leave those confort zones' then, think and DO things differently !!

Tacit Knowledge
Date: 2002-07-26 13:10:00
Link to this Comment: 2411

Ann's presentation was enlightening. I'm still a little confused on the subject of tacit knowledge. I believe that tacit knowledge is doing something without realizing that you do it. These are things that you may do naturally. In the classroom I sometimes tend to assume that the children should know how to behave appropiately. We all know that this is not true for some students.

intermingling curricula advantage/disadvantage
Name:
Date: 2002-07-29 10:00:00
Link to this Comment: 2412

i believe intermingling is at a developmental stage throughtout the educational system. some areas of the country have bought into the concept and have collect data showing academic improvement. however, just as intermingling of race in the educational system was a issue in the late 40"S right into the 60'S our society must adopt the concept of intermingly disciplines by incorporating them into their teaching plans and curriculum. i believe children will benefit from this new way of teaching if we all work from the same page.

tacit learning
Date: 2002-07-29 10:53:14
Link to this Comment: 2413

Teachers should consider that learning-disabled students may be deficient in certain tacit learning that we may assume they have.

Gender Differences in Cognitive Abilities
Date: 2002-07-29 13:26:01
Link to this Comment: 2415

This presentation enabled us to think more about how we tend to sterotype genders unconsciously. We can now utilize strategies that can avoid creating negative sterotypical techniques in the classroom to alleviate that gender bias.
In reality, if educators are more thoughtful about their pedagogy and best practices, this will perpuate a successful environment.

Gender Differences in Cognitive Abilities
Date: 2002-07-29 13:26:48
Link to this Comment: 2416

This presentation enabled us to think more about how we tend to sterotype genders unconsciously. We can now utilize strategies that can avoid creating negative sterotypical techniques in the classroom to alleviate that gender bias.
In reality, if educators are more thoughtful about their pedagogy and best practices, this will perpuate a successful environment.

Gender difference: Reaction to Morning Session
Date: 2002-07-29 13:37:25
Link to this Comment: 2417

Gender differences in the " Cognitive Abilities" of both female and males students was very interesting. Looking at how studies in the various perceptions was made (motor skills and tasks, memory, verbal and spatial abilities) ,may me question some of the final findings in relationship of male versus female in spatial abilities.However,the morning session overall had proven to be informative and beneficial,bringing to one's attention the possibility to judge our own students unintentionately when it come time for them to perform different type of tasks in the classroom.

gender differences
Name:
Date: 2002-07-29 15:07:42
Link to this Comment: 2418

kim's morning activity on cognitive abilities was a stimulating start to the material she had planned to present on gender differences along with psychology and the brain.for me personally she opened a critical door with relation to students gender and their academic performance on the pssa open-ended testing component. what kim discussed this morning maybe a direct avenue on how teachers may want to re- think along with administrative leadership and support. how students process information and create multi-facet ways to teach critical thinking strategies to both genders.if we understand their thinking process and adapt to their style we may see a higher sucess rate in the testing scores.

Learning Styles
Name: Claudette
Date: 2002-07-30 15:07:47
Link to this Comment: 2419

Women's Way to learn suggests we acquire knowledge in various modalities.
I agree that I learn in silence, passive learning, received knowledge, subjective, procedural and constructive environments.
Certainly, I'm a vessel taking in, spitting out, sharing, collaborating and cooperating which is not necessarily a bad thing. Women can become empowered with knowledge by the above characteristics discovered in
Belenky's study.

Tom and Jerry
Name: Tom and Je
Date: 2002-07-30 15:11:42
Link to this Comment: 2420

We would rather eat Post cereal than post comments. Interesting that the differences in learning styles between the sexes is not as great as I would expect.

learning styles for women
Date: 2002-07-30 15:28:15
Link to this Comment: 2421

I wonder which decade did Belenky conduct this study/ research? I can't imagine women just thinking so little of herself. But oh yes, women in shelters,or those with low self esteem. This could be true of the other gender too.
It's interesting to learn these theories.
Learning styles are an important topic for teachers. We need to always be aware of student's learning styles and include activities/ content to address those styles if students are to become productive citizens.
It disturbs me to hear my colleagues complain about the worst in Phila. Public Schools when there is more positive. My question to them is," What do you do to help facilitate a CHANGE?" We need more than an interesting conversation about how bad it is. All students need caring resposive teachers.

Learning Styles
Name:
Date: 2002-07-30 15:29:35
Link to this Comment: 2422

I think the concept of learning styles is valid but very much overused and somewhat "overrated." My questionnaire results were similar to when I taken this kind of surveys in the past. As far as

Learning Styles
Name:
Date: 2002-07-30 15:29:48
Link to this Comment: 2423

I think the concept of learning styles is valid but very much overused and somewhat "overrated." My questionnaire results were similar to when I taken this kind of surveys in the past. As far as

Gender differences
Date: 2002-07-30 15:33:33
Link to this Comment: 2425

There is no doubt about it that there's a "difference" between male and female students in our classes. The only issue is how significant is this "difference"

One thing we can say is the difference in gender is more pronounced as the students get to the age of 10-11 years. This is in the middle school and subsequently in the high school.

We as teachers need to be sensitive to this phenomenon and try to provide some accommodation for this in our classrooms.

Learning Styles
Date: 2002-07-30 15:34:55
Link to this Comment: 2426

I have often wondered why there has not been much emphasis made on developing lessons central around improving in a particular learning style that one appears relatively deficient. More or less, it appears far more contemporary and "pc" to mandate that an educator tweak his or her lessons so that the wide variety of learning styles in an indivdual classsroom are accommodated. However, it may very well be that this effort to somehow accommodate all is having a negative impact on the achievement levels of those who are able to more easily adapt to various learning situations. Last I checked, we all exist in a vastly diverse society. One that requires that citizens be skilled in a variety of ways. Some of these ways are inherently deficient unto the individual. Should we not, on occasion, be instrumental in helping those address these deficiencies. Curiously, it seems that many feel that constructing a personal educational program for each student is more advisable than attempting to seek to produce a more well rounded educational experience for that student.

I am clearly not in that camp.

Sharon Different Learning Different
Date: 2002-07-30 15:40:17
Link to this Comment: 2427

Belenky interviewed women about their school experiences. His conclusion was very interesting to me. I could totally relate to how we all have different learning styles that either left us feeling unempowered or taking in knowledge and reproducing that knowledge. I agree that connected knowledge brings together all types of procedures together.

Learning Styles
Name:
Date: 2002-07-30 16:10:32
Link to this Comment: 2428

While interesting and informative I find that trying to teach to the learning style of each student is an awesome task. Rather having lessons
that address different learning styles throughout the year seems to offer an opportunity for presenting a topic in more than one way.

classroom culture
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 10:40:17
Link to this Comment: 2429

1. "ghetto" background 2.Allen Iverson mentality, but without his money.

Class room culture
Date: 2002-07-31 10:44:07
Link to this Comment: 2430

I have one or two students in each of my classes who really, really, really do not want to be there. I seem to spend more than half of my time and efforts dealing with these students.

Disabled students
Date: 2002-07-31 10:45:58
Link to this Comment: 2431

The structure of the Small Learning Communities in my school makes it difficult for students to learn and sometimes , I would believe this actually disables them. For example I believe students in a science class should belong in a small learning community that will involve them excusively so that experiences like field trips will not be a complex arrangement which may deter the teachers from engaging in them.
Also there are so many rules and laws that in my opinion disable students in my classroom. Such will include permission slips for any kind of outing and the beurocracy invoved in exposing kids to learning experiences outside of the classroom. I can also relate to the problem of insufficient materials for the use of students in classroom. In these days of technology expo. I cannot imagine a classroom with only one computer for the use of 30 students. This kind of lack disables them.

Culture of Education
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 10:46:27
Link to this Comment: 2432

I feel that in some cases society(experts) have placed ideas in the heads
of students,teachers,parents,etc. that impede teachers from being able to do their jobs. As an example,the "self image".People should feel good about
themselves but this feeling should come from something positive that they have done/contributed not just because they are here on the planet.

Teachers are not valued in our society by the powers that be or by those
they teach.

Classroom culture
Name: Charles
Date: 2002-07-31 10:50:29
Link to this Comment: 2433

One of the biggest problems in my classroom is the expectation of that the children are expected to understand a specific group of guidelines and standards established by the state and school district. It is extremely difficult to develop students that are critical thinkers because it is very tempting to just simply teach the test. The students who are the most comfortable taking standardized test are the students who are valued more than those who may actually be analytical.

Culture/Education
Name: RaMona
Date: 2002-07-31 10:50:40
Link to this Comment: 2434

Many of my students do not value their education because their parents do not stress the fact that school or learning is important. This disables the student because they don't feel that education is valuable. The few parents that stress education in their household produce higher achievers. The behavior that is displayed in the classroom is unbelievable. My biggest problem in the classroom is discipline. When poor behavior is displayed (every 5-10 minutes) I must sometimes stop to write it down, correct or warn the students, write pink slips, remove the student, etc. This disrupts lessons on a daily basis.

Cultures of education
Date: 2002-07-31 10:51:23
Link to this Comment: 2435

There are several disabling factors within our educational system:Lack of materials.Class size.Continuous Interruptions.Lack of continuity.Disruptive students. The continuous need for relative prpofessional development sessions the are planned with the entire staff.The parental envolement.The need for MORE male teachers.

Culture
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 10:54:30
Link to this Comment: 2436

It's tough to preserve the culture in a school which is resistent to change. Sometimes innovative strategies, new ideas, recommemdations, and "green" personnel create a power struggle when the "run of the mill plan" has met its demise. Therefore persons other than the "one in charge" bring forth differentiated styles, plans, strategies, and best practices that will foster improvement from the instructional leader down to the collaborative teams within a school.
Because of innovative strategies implemented and proven successful in my former professional career leadership limitations have stifled my progression.

diversity and evolution
Date: 2002-07-31 10:55:20
Link to this Comment: 2437

The culture in my classroom that disables students is basically the size of the class with a wide ability range,limited space for differentiated instruction and support materials ( such as computers for instructions).

cultural disabilities
Date: 2002-07-31 10:58:14
Link to this Comment: 2438

Structured environment of formal schooling limits students' physical movements, creativity, and independence. The culture of our society keeps children dependent. It forces them to be "non-adults" for an extended period. Age-track system isolates students from the rest of society. Classroom system may force a pace of learning that may be inappropriate for those at the extreme ends. Self-esteem difficulties surrounding school performance may have a negative influence on a child's attitude toward learning. Only certain skills may be valued in the school setting and a particular child may never optimize a skill that he might otherwise have excelled at. Conformity is emphasized.
Directives, demands and restrictions by the state or administration limit teachers' options.

Culture Clashing
Date: 2002-07-31 10:58:30
Link to this Comment: 2439

For many of my African-American students, the pursuit of education as a means of acquiring personal successs exists solely as a countercultural concept. Achieving a comfortable level of personal success is held in the highest regard by most. However, it's widely felt that expending energy in the educational arena is simply not the way to realize this goal. In fact, many are often virtually ostracized if they publicly choose education as their venue. It sometimes strikes me as being quite odd that the perception is for one to be academically superior is equated with being socially inferior. Now, this is not unique unto my community of students. However, I have found it to be far more prevalent and dominant than in other communities.

Classroom culture
Date: 2002-07-31 11:05:20
Link to this Comment: 2440

One of the biggest problems in my classroom is the expectation of that the children are expected to understand a specific group of guidelines and standards established by the state and school district. It is extremely difficult to develop students that are critical thinkers because it is very tempting to just simply teach the test. The students who are the most comfortable taking standardized test are the students who are valued more than those who may actually be analytical.
Charles
Another big problem is disruptive behavior because of some servere emotional diabilities, and these students needs are unable to be address appropiately because of failure from the educational system to get them properly placed in a timely like fashion. A situation of this nature disable the classroom teacher in being productive toward the needs of their other students in the classroom during these disruptive times. Unfair to the students, as well as unfair those students who are responsible for the chaos in the classroom.
Lois

New metaphor
Date: 2002-07-31 11:55:06
Link to this Comment: 2441

I'm not satisfied with my original metaphor. I'm adopting a new metapor of a clown in a circus. Using more humor to overcome some of the resistance I'm meeting from a few of my students might be more efective than fighting fire with fire.

new metaphor
Date: 2002-07-31 12:00:23
Link to this Comment: 2442

My new metaphor in response to the question of self-esteem and lack of diversity in self-development is one where the teacher is a barber or beautician, the student is the client in the chair and the classroom is the mirror held up to the student so he can view his accomplishments, self-worth, personal strengths and potential.

New Fish Story
Name: Claudette
Date: 2002-07-31 12:02:28
Link to this Comment: 2443

The way out of the disabling culture is to step out on faith and exercise options which can be embedded into the existing culture of a school. There are those who are leaders and those who are managers. Effective leaders have the ability to pursue a vision, inspire and secure followers of the vision to meet success. Managers run the risk of demonstrating leadership in a manner that limits collaboration, partnerships and the ability to secure followers that can share and implement the vision for a successful school.

Try reading "Who Moved the Cheese"?--- new metaphor

culture problems
Name: Jerry
Date: 2002-07-31 12:02:35
Link to this Comment: 2444

Problem; Class size Teacher=Boss Classroom=Company Students=Employees Groups of students= Different dept. within the company,therefore, small learning groups are established,but still under the teacher's direction.

NEW METAPHORS FOR THE CLASSROOM
Date: 2002-07-31 12:03:26
Link to this Comment: 2445

INSUFICIENT MATERIALS:

The metaphor of the classroom being a garden with all kinds of plants as the students and the teacher as the sprinkler in the hand of the gardener can be used to explain how the teacher can regulate or redistribute the limited resources in the classroom to enable each plant to have enough water to survive.

BEHAVIOR CHALLENGES:

If the teacher is viewed as a guard in a correctional facility which is the classroom then the students will be seen as the inmates in that facility. It's the job of the guards and other correctional officers to maintain order and discipline in the facility. In the case of students who exhibit behavior challenges this metaphor will be most appropriate.

New metaphor
Date: 2002-07-31 12:04:43
Link to this Comment: 2446

I am pretty comfortable with my original metaphor. The one thing I would like to add is that the library exists in a university setting. However, it was the only structure damaged by the Earthquake. Nevertheless, university administrators still expect it to function efficiently. Given the building's existing condition, this is just not a possibility. As the librarian, I continue to give a game effort but I am really just swimming upstream. (but at least I am swimming)

Metaphors
Name: RaMona
Date: 2002-07-31 12:05:05
Link to this Comment: 2447

Another metaphor for the classroom is a tank. The children are grouped together in a specific section. The students are the fish swimming around looking for knowledge. They will not survive without water hence, the teacher. This teachers allows the students to explore and to collaborate with their peers.

New metaphors
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 12:05:37
Link to this Comment: 2448

Majority of the metaphors are ones that I would personally adopt. But since I have got to go with just one, then I will chose coach as teacher, team as classroom, and the students as players. Why? A coach is one that gives their team the instruction on how to be successful team players. They teach them that a winner is not one who always win the game, but one who excel in being the best that they can.Our students do not need to be may to feel that they must be competative in order to be a winner.
Lois

Metaphors of Education
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 12:07:49
Link to this Comment: 2449

I was amazed to hear the number of different interpretations that we used to
describe our classrooms and our ideas about education. I however, am not sure that I can use my metaphor to solve any of the disabilities that I encounter each day or have encounterd over these 321/2 years. I do feel that using humor helps to make it all more bearable.

My metaphor was the teacher as the clown in the classroom Big Top with the
students as the audience ready to learn and experience all that the Big Top has to offer.

bridging cultures
Date: 2002-07-31 12:08:39
Link to this Comment: 2450

A metaphor for my class,that will eliminate disabilites is "first drone--colony of bees-drone." We share responsibility for rigorous learning, sharing innovative ideas , critical thinking and demonstrating education. All are constant workers. However, the first drone is responsible for faciliting content.

New Metaphors
Name:
Date: 2002-07-31 12:11:51
Link to this Comment: 2451

The metaphor " nurse to patient", stands out for me as remedy for the many disabilities within our educational system.We could perhaps,tap our resources within the community for various outreach programs.In addition,we could be more adamant about the need for helpful professional development sessions.

New Metaphors?
Name: Charles
Date: 2002-07-31 12:13:50
Link to this Comment: 2452

I still feel comfortable with coach metaphor. As I have already stated a coach is an authority figure who plans, organizes and encourages the players to strives to always do their best for a common goal.

conclusion bridge02
Date: 2002-08-15 19:32:59
Link to this Comment: 2458

The institute was a success for me because I acquired pedagogy for engaging students using metaphors differently, developed ideas for action research questions (excellent idea for projects). With many experts in the institute I took time to analyze my learning style to accommodate the learning styles of my students.
Accolades to the most knowledgeable, patient, personable and enjoyable professors who made learning fun!

Remember to attend the NSTA NATIONAL CONVENTION March 27-30 , 2003
Sessions are at the convention center and the marriott other hotels too. For additional information please visit nsta online.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:26 CDT