Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Brain and Behavior Institute 2002 Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Welcome Colleagues
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2002-07-07 21:10:43
Link to this Comment: 2141

Glad you're here. Think of this as a place for more conversation, not a place for "formal" writing. The idea is to "think out loud" so others can learn from your thoughts in progress, and you from theirs. This is also a place where our conversations can be useful to people beyond the institute. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say, and learning from all of it. Hope you are too.

Name: RaMona Ada
Date: 2002-07-08 10:17:29
Link to this Comment: 2142

My name is RaMona Adams. I am an educator at the Turner Middle School in West Philadelphia. I'm pretty excited about taking the course Brain and Behavior 2002. What I hope to learn is how to better deal with the brain I have which will enable me to deal with the children better. At times my brain wanders helplessly. I forget all things that do not go into my long term memory. I'm in desperate need of help with understanding the brain. I am clueless. Maybe we can determine what makes the students we teach so rude!

Human/Animal brains
Name: Babatunde
Date: 2002-07-08 10:19:44
Link to this Comment: 2143

My name is Babatunde Oronti. Presently I teach at Olney High School and I'm still going be there next school year. The main thing I'd like to get a better insight into is why there's so much gap between the behavior of mankind compared to animals despite the fact that physically speaking the features of our brain are similar. Take for example the brains of the gorilla and chimpanzee family.

Introduction
Name: Dawn Macke
Date: 2002-07-08 10:21:08
Link to this Comment: 2144

I am an elementary level teacher at Franklin Academic Plus Elementary. I have been teaching for five years- 1 year of private, 2 years of charter, and this will be my third year of public. One thing I have learned is that kids are kids no matter the school environment- parental involvement changes. I have no children of my own and am not married, though I am 31 years old. My students are my children, as well as my niece and nephews. I am fascinated by how people act in varying situations and am very reflesive about my own personality traits, so much so that I minored in Psychology. I am interested to see how this course shapes my personal thinking and my teaching capabilities.

information retrival
Name: Cynthia A.
Date: 2002-07-08 10:21:38
Link to this Comment: 2145

What happens when the brain does not process information properly?
How does the information retrival process work and does this affect non-agressive behavior?

I hope to learn something to aid children who experience difficulty
keeping up with the main stream classroom. Techniques to implement and to explore the brain with the hopes of improving retention and retrival skills.

Changing School Environment
Name: Sam Howell
Date: 2002-07-08 10:21:55
Link to this Comment: 2146

I have been an elementary science teacher for the last five years. The institute interested me as a teacher in a school with an alarming rate of growth in the amount of students labeled "special education." The amount of medication given to students in my school has also increased massively. Therefore, this workshop appealed to me.

Hi, it's ME!
Name: Brian Mali
Date: 2002-07-08 10:23:25
Link to this Comment: 2147

I'm a teacher at Northeast High School for 13 years in the area of Special education. I hope to get an increased knowledge about the brain and how it affects behavior. I hope this will help me to better understand my students.

Life-long learner - That's me!
Name: Dana Jenki
Date: 2002-07-08 10:23:58
Link to this Comment: 2148

Hi, my name is Dana Jenkins. I am an educator of middle school students, presently at Ada Lewis Middle School. I am a graduate of Drexel University, Cheyney University and the NBPTS. I am also an educator of two wonderderful teenagers of my own and on occassion serve as preceptor for graduate students in the education and social sciences field. On the other hand, I'm also a preacher's wife and am active with the Christian education programs of our church. I was immediately interested in this institute merely by virtue of its name "Brain & Behavior", how could this not peak one's interest?

Intro to myself
Name: Hope M. Gl
Date: 2002-07-08 10:25:04
Link to this Comment: 2149

Hope M. Glover - I am a traveler. Hoping to do missionary work when I retire. I enjoy experiencing new people, different cultures and climates. However my appreciation for the United States is increased and I always remind myself about how blessed I am to live in a country that has afforded me so many opportunities. I have a Masters degree in Educational Administration. Which I plan to make use of in the near future. I am a proud single parent of a beautiful, bright and sophisticated college junior.

I enjoy teaching and am dedicated to urban youth. I teach because of a african american female science teacher that inspired me. Hopefully I have kindled a thrist for knowledge in the students that I have taught.

I also enjoy reading, currently reading the Emperor of Ocean Park a mystery. I love art and have a small studio home inwhich I sometimes get the courage to create a painting or scultpture.

I also need to be menatlly stimulated and search for new and complex subjects to explore. Hence my return to Brain and Behavior. What's new Paul?

Intorduction to Self
Name: Shellie He
Date: 2002-07-08 10:26:08
Link to this Comment: 2150

Shellie Herdan- I'm a school counselor at Baldi Middle School, a wife, a parent and a teacher. I am very interested in the brain and what makes it tick. I work with students, parents, and teachers everyday and need to know more about the brain and behavior. I'm especially intersted in stress, drugs, alcohol, anxiety and the brain. I also need to get more comfortable with the internet.

Getting to know each other
Name: Bob Farber
Date: 2002-07-08 10:27:23
Link to this Comment: 2151

Bob Farber. I am a science teacher with teaching experience in the worst 2 schools and the best 2 schools in the area. I have a very broad science background but my area of interest is genetics. The workings of the brain is a mystery to me. I know that our understanding of the brain is advancing rapidly and I need to become more current in this area. This is the primary reason that I have enrolled in this course. The other reason is that I want to develop more labs for my anatomy & physiology course.

Getting Information
Name: Lois Macke
Date: 2002-07-08 10:29:54
Link to this Comment: 2152

I am a elementary educator whose objective is to learn about the brain and its function as it relate to the behavior in general, and how it affect the learning process academically for students. Also, how could I integrate this into any classroom subject other than science that would motivate students interest in the topic.

Know Thyself
Name: Ray Lucci
Date: 2002-07-08 10:32:10
Link to this Comment: 2153

Presently, I teach biology and anatomy in high school and this year I learned that I am an old head. I am in awe of both the complexity of structure and manifold dimensions of the entire human nersous system. Basically I seek an answer to the following question: Is the mind a product of the organic processes of the brain or is it an independent entity whose presence is manifested and facilitated by the brain?

Hi, it's Mrs. Me
Name: Joan Johns
Date: 2002-07-08 10:33:04
Link to this Comment: 2154

I'm a Biology teacher at Northeast High School's Magnet Program. I hope this program will sharpen my computer/interneting skills as well as
my knowledge-base in the areas of the brain/behavior/learning/interacting/etc. My expectations are that this will be an enjoyable journey into the semi-unknown.

Inquiry Based Learning
Name: Sharon Lee
Date: 2002-07-08 10:33:39
Link to this Comment: 2155

My name is Sharon Lee. I am an educator that uses science as a vehicle to teach. It's my understanding that inquiry based learning is imperative when utlizing cooperative learning. I am exceedingly interested in how the brain functions and how it affects behaviors.

Learning more
Name: Charles Fo
Date: 2002-07-08 10:33:55
Link to this Comment: 2156

I have been a science prep teacher, grades 3-5, for the past five years. I also have been assigned to instruct autistic and a variety of "special ed" students. The function of the brain has always facinated me and I'm hoping to incorporate any new uderstanding into my teaching.

Life Cycles
Name: Aliya Cata
Date: 2002-07-08 10:33:57
Link to this Comment: 2157

Aliya:

This session proves to be a reunion of a different kind. I have no wedding to plan in between breaks so this time I have the sole determination to learn as much as I can. The first go round with PG was a bit disturbing:
He told me that the brain cannot be "fixed" once something goes wrong that is it! Tapestry: So many fibers that are interwoven so intricate like that it will never be that way again....

I have met a "Brain" - Paul Grobstein, a rocket scientist and you mean to tell me all the knowledge these folks have they can't FIX IT????

Well - enough of the drama: I am a new teacher - four years of service and looking forward to many more. I currently teach ELA and Social Studies. I am dedicated to teaching children so that I may better understand my own : three little brats ( the twin towers may ahve fallen, but the three terrors lives on (smile) -

I look forward to freezing in the air because it is hot outside and learning as much as I can - no more bad news! Hey Hope ( the one that introduced me to this session two years ago) it will be fun hanging out with the one that put me on. Let's see what web mastery we can put together!

Name: michael Bo
Date: 2002-07-08 10:37:23
Link to this Comment: 2158

Hello,
My name is Michael Boyd and I teach at FitzSimons Middle School in North Philadelphia. I am very excited to be here at the Institue at Bryn Mawr College. This year I will be learning about the behavior of the brain. I believe the brain is a wonderful creation and should be used to its maximum capacity. According to research, we use only a very small portion of our brains. However, I do not understand its function and would like to do, so that I could help those students that I teach. I am looking forward to learn all that I can.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste"
Name: Geraldine
Date: 2002-07-08 10:37:44
Link to this Comment: 2159

Hi! My name is Geraldine Brown affectionately known as Gerry. I have been with the Phila. Public School system since 1970 working as a Noon-Time aide. I have worked my way up to a Teacher over the years, which I am proud of.I also Teach a one credit course Seminar at Drexel University to undergraduates pursuing a degree in Education. I love Teaching because you are always challenged with new things. To TEACH IS TO LEARN TWICE!!We are all gifted with various multiple intelligences and Learning Styles. The world is Science to me. The brain is all about patterning. Once you put the peices of what is being learned is put into place you are off and running! The brain becomes haphazard.I expect to share with my colleagues here at the Institute, so that we can learn from each other.

Story of meaning of brain picture
Date: 2002-07-08 10:50:52
Link to this Comment: 2160

The whole brain is a is a mystery to us. The thin strip representing the spinal cord and our understanding of it is a graphic presentation of our thin understanding of the brain at this time. The pieces that are falling from the brain are the insights that we are gaining in our efforts to understand the parts and functions of the whole brain.

Thinking outside the box
Date: 2002-07-08 11:01:50
Link to this Comment: 2161

A literal interpretation of the water color, "Transformations" is that of solid colored pieces from a square box falling out on to a colorful circular item. We feel that the pieces represent the tendency of many to try to think inside the box by forcing the pieces to fit. However science should be more exploratory...thinking outside the box. Asking questions about concepts, theories and phenomenom that occur that can't be explained inside the box forcing one to think beyond traditional thought.

The color pieces blend into the circle object representing more questions as opposed to answers. Our understanding of science is expanded but nothing definite can be guaranteed.

The solid pieces can also represent a single thought from a single person which meshes into a blending of thoughts no longer owned by one individual. It represents ideas about science that are universally accepted but ever changing as more questions are asked and more pieces of the puzzle that actually fit are put in place. This represents man's quest for knowledge about his environment and the universe.

Compelling Whys
Name: Tunde, Sha
Date: 2002-07-08 11:02:50
Link to this Comment: 2162

The brain is like a puzzel with many pieces already in place and with many compelling whys (who, what when, where and how) which must be assimulated into the pattern. What is not needed is eliminated. Once completed, we can hypothesize a conclusion or construct some meaning.

Our Views "Transformation"
Name: Lois, Cynt
Date: 2002-07-08 11:05:09
Link to this Comment: 2163

If questioning is understanding then we learn from varios aspects of our culture. This is reflected in the multiple colors of the cube. The puzzle pieces falling from the cube tells us that we never have it "all together". What we think has to be torn apart and becomes part of a global understanding on a larger scale because we have to share our knowledge.
Lois, Cynthia, Charles, and Sam experienced this by processing our views of the picture.

Transformation
Name: Ramona Ada
Date: 2002-07-08 11:08:43
Link to this Comment: 2164

Michael Boyd
RaMona Adams

In response to the picture transformation, we thought that it represented a brain in the thinking process. The base contains question marks and the stand represents understanding. These two items are needed in the thought processes of the brain. The square top is an actual representation of the brain at work. The falling pieces represent thoughts being formed and the colorful ball is the concrete concept that is now formed.

Viral learning
Name: Brian & Jo
Date: 2002-07-08 11:12:23
Link to this Comment: 2165

Hi. My name is Kan B. More. I am your friendly, exotic, knowledge-bacteriophage, losing pieces of myself in the hope of expanding my horizons. When I combine my brain peices with others - not of my kind- I become more than my original self. My ephemeral body is lost in the process - but my brain goes on forever. Knowledge is the product of numberous encounters with foreign beings. My identify is often in flux. I am capable of incorportaton with foreign entities. I can unlock their deepest possibilities with my chemical "Keys"- I know what they know. When I exit, I leave parts of myself behind with my former-hosts. Sharing what I've learned from others.

Out of Chaos. . .
Name: Shellie, D
Date: 2002-07-08 11:13:23
Link to this Comment: 2166

Once upon a time 3 friends from planet Confusion went on a quest. The quest came from chaos and led them in search of Master Understanding.
First, they visited with the professors to gain insight to know what questions and answers they needed. Leaving the proffessors they found they had more questions than answers. So off to the library and internet they went with their aresenal of questions.
They searched the books from A-Z and went to the end of the world wide web, when the were finished they had answered many questions but still had many left to go.
They came to the conclusion that for every question there are many answers and for every answer there are many questions. Master Understanding is a very complex individual that can never be fully understood.

Compelling whys - Part II
Date: 2002-07-08 11:17:55
Link to this Comment: 2167

The base is the newborn child with so many questions about life (the compelling whys). As he/she grows up and climbs the ladder of understanding, taking him/her to the box of knowledge (the puzzel), which is not absolute, puzzel pieces will begin falling of and disintegrating (enjoying to be wrong) and new pieces will form.

Date: 2002-07-08 11:19:38
Link to this Comment: 2168

The base is the newborn child with so many questions about life (the compelling whys). As he/she grows up and climbs the ladder of understanding, taking him/her to the box of knowledge (the puzzel), which is not absolute, puzzel pieces will begin falling of and disintegrating (enjoying to be wrong) and new pieces will form.

Date: 2002-07-08 11:22:26
Link to this Comment: 2169

Ten Percent
Name: Aliya and
Date: 2002-07-08 11:31:03
Link to this Comment: 2170

Assuming that what scientist say is true - most humans use only ten percent of their brain. This means that there is a host of untapped resources that we have at our disposal. It is said that if you do things differently you can "grow" new brain cells and this may be the direction Emily was going towards.

The brain is all encompasing and can hold the sky for the sky is a mere concept. If it is true that all we see is a series of light bouncing off our eyes and giving us perceptions - than the sky is as big or small as we see fit.

If we think it, visualize it we can make it happen and this is the power of thought. As we try to educate our students to utilize the ten percent of the brain that we know how to use - wouldn't it be nice if someone could teach us (the educators) how to use the some of the other ninety percent?

Thinking about the brain
Name: Ray, Shell
Date: 2002-07-08 11:39:52
Link to this Comment: 2171

The story we hear in this poem: It is about a woman profoundly in awe of the powers of the brain and its ability to preoccupy itself with the complexities of others.

We think the brian is wide enough to contain the sky and you besides.

This implies that the brain's capacity to understand is infinite but its ability to hold knowledge is finite.

Brain Poem
Date: 2002-07-08 11:51:37
Link to this Comment: 2172

The brain enccmpasses all you know. It contains all your understanding of what surrounds you, and yet is not restricted to anything around you. The brain can encorporate the self - and beyond. You know more that just sensory input - you can Create your own reality. If God is all-knowing and everywhere then,when we interact with the universe - we do it through the brain -our connector to the Universe.

Thinking about the brain.
Date: 2002-07-08 11:56:34
Link to this Comment: 2173

Lois and Cynthia thought very carefully about Emily Dickenson and the poem "Thinking About the Brain".
The poem is a comparison to the omnipotence of GOD! We are made in the image of HIM therefore, the concepts of the brain are limitless and boundless. We cannot justify the comparison of one brain to another.
What is the validity of measuring one persons IQ against another?
Yes, the brain is wider than the sky. For we are bound only by our own curiosity in our individual brain development.

Dickerson's poem
Name:
Date: 2002-07-08 11:57:20
Link to this Comment: 2174

The brain is able to take in the universe. It has the capacity to leap time and distance in thinking and making sense of the universe.
Dickerson missed the fact that a brain does not work in a vaccuum rather each brain is linked to thousands, nay millions of other brains living and dead thru LANGUAGE. While each brain is magnificant, it is the sharing of information and ideas that allows the individual brain to take in the universe.
The "decade of the brain"[1990-2000] was also the time that electronic brains or computers became available. While each computer could perform seemly fantastic feats, the linkage of computers via the web is what has begun to change our world. This electronic communication is causing an explosion of ideas and knowledge. No government can control the spread of ideas and the sharing of knowledge.
As we try to develop "artifical intelligence" for computers, we may gain many new insights about brain functions. Unlike computers, we know that each brain is hard wired differently and therefore each individual brain may react to the same set of stimuli in a different way. Anyone who have raised several children already knows the truth of this.
The networking of web of electronic brains to billions of organic brains will produce changes in our world which are not predictable at this time. The world as we know it will change rapidly in the next few decades.
The only prediction that I am willing to make is that mankind will move toward a universal language. No brain, electronic or ogranic, can function without language. Language is the key to the linkages which make brain so tremendously powerful.

The Brain and the Sky
Name: Sam Howell
Date: 2002-07-08 11:58:46
Link to this Comment: 2175

Both brain and the sky are seemingly infinite. Science has been able to better measure sky than it has the brain.

"Zanny Brainy"
Date: 2002-07-08 11:59:59
Link to this Comment: 2176

***The brain encompasses an infinite amount of information - the capacity to store is indeed wider than the sky.

***We are born with the innate passionate desire and thirst to learn (think about the exhileration of a primary student entering school).

***The ways of the BRAIN are diverse. Thinking will be different and unique in every being!

The brain is a power of unspeakable knowledge
It is infinite in depth to help bring out the best
Generic influences tend to change the way of thinking
but, the ultimate goal is to stimulate linking

Michael Boyd/RaMona Adams
Name: Michael Bo
Date: 2002-07-08 12:02:30
Link to this Comment: 2177

The poem written by Emily Dickinson was very interesting. It tells a story figuritively of how the brain is wider than the sky. This is saying that the thoughts of or the capacity of the brain is limitless. Another metaphor she used when comparing the brain is the sea - plethora of information. In the sea there are various types of life form. There are plants, fish, mammals, crustaceans, etc. The brain is just like the sea. It contains a vast network of information and thoughts.

Figuratively, she compared the brain to the sea. The brain is a gift from God that is deep and profound. It cannot be weighed nor can it be understood. We have different thoughts as different syllables form different sounds.

Thoughts/comments from session one
Name:
Date: 2002-07-08 15:41:21
Link to this Comment: 2178

There were many things that interested me during the first session of brain and behavior. I was enlighted with the new way to look at science. I never thought of myself as a scientist. Also the thought of being wrong is right--so different from what I have been taught.

The different approaches to the brain were interesting--especially the final approach.

Some questions and thoughts: What does the brain of a teenager look like? What do we know about this that can help us with relating to teenagers?

What about anxious, stressed out brains--What can we do to halp change the brains of thsese people?

Depression and the brain- tell me more about this.

Alcohol, addiction --what about those brains and behavior?

I guess you can tell I am intersted in the field of psychology and the brain--my job is a counselor.

Don't forget memory--what can we do to improve it?

Interesting?
Name: Dawn
Date: 2002-07-08 15:42:14
Link to this Comment: 2179

There are many interesting things that we have covered today. I find it intriguing that Dickerson could write such a poem about the brain at a time way before serious brain study. Though her poem was allegoric in nature it sounds as if she had stumbled upon some facts. I wonder if she realized what she knew? The most interesting part was this afternoon's discussion about the actual structure of the brain and how it works. The autonomy model creates new questions that will probably never be answered scientifically. Learning about the complexity, yet simplicity, of the brain and how it effects us will keep me in constant possible outputs. I guess my brain will be changing for quite some time, while I process this new information.

Brain interest
Date: 2002-07-08 15:42:21
Link to this Comment: 2180

1.) How does brain change typical as we age?

2.) How does brain change when we learn?

3.) How does brain alter when visual vs. auditory learning occurs?

4.) How does number of modes of stimuli affect learning/brain shape?
-visual
-auditory
-tactile

5.) Can brain become Normal again in shape/function after exposure to -drugs
-disease
-stress
-sleep deprivation
-injury
-depression

6.) As we age,does long term exposure to medications negatively affect
the brain? If yes, how?

first day questions
Date: 2002-07-08 15:43:48
Link to this Comment: 2181

I would like to explore 1]structure vs function
2] Nature vs nurture
3] effect of chemical environment
4] development, maturaturation, aging

Interest
Name: sam howell
Date: 2002-07-08 15:45:12
Link to this Comment: 2182

What I found most interesting was the "game of life". I figured that a stable state would be achieved. However, I would like to explore more deeply the factors that lead to everyone "dying".

Summary of Day One
Date: 2002-07-08 15:52:50
Link to this Comment: 2183

We learned about exploring the various ways of looking at science:
.Rethinking
.Learning the wrong way or answer, leads you to reassess the answers you thought were correct, wrong is a positive value of science.
.Out of random order led to stable order and repeated patterns.
We are interested in exploring:
.Does race, gender, environment affect the patterns of the brain, the size of the brain, the behavior of the brain both positive and negative?
.Are "late bloomers" a result of brain maturity?
.How does Gardners Theory of Multiple Intelligence correlate to the brain?
.What is the significance of the left side and right side of the brain
to human behavior?

Ray's Brain about brains
Date: 2002-07-08 15:53:28
Link to this Comment: 2184

1.) As I wander through the maze of the Cerebrum, I can't help but wonder how these tangles of neurons and synapses result in behaviors and emotions as complex as ours. My interest is in understanding the relationship between brain structure and behavior.

2.) I am not certain that I can learn more about myself from the internet. I prefer the company of books and interactions with real people and relationships.

3.) Given the postulation that learning and behavior physically change the brain, how can we then distinguish in morphological observations that which is genetically predetermined from that which is environmentally influenced?

processing
Name: Gerry B. D
Date: 2002-07-08 15:57:00
Link to this Comment: 2185

What was most interesting to me was the concept that the brain physically changes with the mere input of information. What I want to know is "Is there such a phenonmenon as the brain getting tired? Oftentimes, I feel like my brain is tired. Does this happen to children? If so what is a good strategy to combat this "condition". Dana

What was most fascinating to me was the fact that the more your brain stores, the more your brain is apt to change. The concept of the LOOPING CONCEPTION OF SCIENCE MAKES MORE SENSE THAN THE LINEAR SEQUENCE BECAUSE THERE IS REALLY NO WHERE TO GO WITH LINEAR, LOOPING HAS NO END.How does one brain of someONE else learn faster than another brain? I would like to know what causes chemical imbalances in the brain? Is it hereditary?

Name: charles fo
Date: 2002-07-08 15:59:03
Link to this Comment: 2186

The life game was very interesting. However, does it not violate the second law of thermodynamics. Things don't go from disorder to order do they? Also, it assumes that there is no architech or planner but would you not need an architect originate the life in the first place.

awareness?
Name: sam howell
Date: 2002-07-09 13:17:41
Link to this Comment: 2187

There have been a few times in my career as a teacher where I felt as the behavior of a child was without awareness. I mean, taking what I know and observe, really witnessing behaviors that appeared with no apparent input and seemingly without the student really realizing it. But, who am I to say what is happening in the brain of another.

There are students who have been diagnosed with Terets Syndrome...

Nature vs. Nurture
Name: Aliya
Date: 2002-07-09 13:30:46
Link to this Comment: 2188

I believe that most behave is nurtured from a very young age. I think that the I function is controlled by both nature and nurture as well. the I fuction is that part of you that has the control over fuctions of the body - move the foot, kick the ball - when one loses that fiction then they still may have body movement, but lose the control of the movement. the I fuction for our purposes then should make up who we are because without it WE can't conrol anything.

Aliya.

Brainboxes
Name: Gerry, Dan
Date: 2002-07-09 13:35:13
Link to this Comment: 2189

Sleepwalking, nightmares, It could be hazzardous to your health. How much of paralysis is psychlogical? Can you condition certain outputs? Gerry
Dana

Medulla Obligations
Date: 2002-07-09 13:37:25
Link to this Comment: 2190

The "I function" is like an small child that can't be responsible for most things. Just about all of our important bodily functions, those that keep us alive such as respiration, circulation, digestion etc occurs without the "I function" giving any thought. The "I fuction" is most cases loses what little control it has when there is danger of sort to self.

The "I fuction" is real in that we can decide to move left or right during times when the body is not in any danger. The "I function" is probably more a part of the "ego" or "Mind" that part of me that is conscious of my environment.

Emily was describing the "I function" in her poem more so than anything else. Wounldn't she be surprised!

Unknown. . .
Date: 2002-07-09 13:37:59
Link to this Comment: 2191

In the classroom. Students always seem to do things without knowing how it happened because they didn't do it. If nobody did it, yet it was done. . .well, you'll know the rest of the story. Sleepwalkers are awake yet in need of being awakened(but you're not suppose to wake them). In Mr. Deeds the movie, his wicked frostbite has left his foot without feeling. Though he tells the butler to beat it senseless. I am not sure of its importance in general, but educationally, it has great implications because it has to affect a student's attention. If we don't have their attention how can they learn?

behavior response
Name: charles fo
Date: 2002-07-09 13:40:24
Link to this Comment: 2192

I can think of examples of autistic children who seemed to be exhibiting behavior that the students appeared to unaware of as they were acting out. But how do we really what is happening in their brains or nervous system. I guess if someone is daydreaming or sleeping they may act in certain ways ie. swating a fly that's harassing them.

I Function questions
Name: Ray Lucci,
Date: 2002-07-09 13:40:29
Link to this Comment: 2193

1.) eating & talking at the same time, speech patterns & accents, gesticulations, riding a bicycle, Driving, Eyes focusing on objects at different distances

2.) Instead of having to utilize the entire concious Central Nervous system to perform all daily routines, this allows the shift of responsibility for these routines to boxes containing subroutines. This may explain differences in learning styles and classroom adaptabilities.

3.) "I think, therefore, I am". HAL in "2001" had an "I" function. Is the IMac the progenitor of HAL?

Behavior without awareness
Name: Cynthia Br
Date: 2002-07-09 13:41:43
Link to this Comment: 2194

There was a time when I gave birth to a child and I had a Cecerian Section and was given a saddle block to prevent pain. I was consciously aware of the surgery yet there was no pain.
Cinny
Laser surgery was used for the removal of moles on the face, although counciously aware of the lazer on the face there was no pain.
Lois

Sleepwalking
Name: Tunde, She
Date: 2002-07-09 13:43:27
Link to this Comment: 2195

Another circumstance where behavior is altered without awareness maybe sleepwalking. You are walking and yet you are not conscious of it. The thing that is a concern is how are you all coordinated without the brain's involvement.

In general for education we maybe missing an opportunity to have our children learn because we presume that they are not paying attention or day dreaming. Therefore, we need to continue to reach out to all students at all timesand not assune that they are not retaining information.

"I function" I am feeling blocked--that's an I function. My brain is not connecting--no thoughts coming.
I funcion is putting pressure on us to produce. We need to be less wrong.
I need more on I function.

Brain boxes Part II
Name: Gerri and
Date: 2002-07-09 13:44:09
Link to this Comment: 2196

Other circumstances of unaware behavior are when a person "zones" out right in the middle of whatevers happening or; when one hallucinates or; sleeping with eyes open; hearing a call but no one is calling (no input).

I function
Date: 2002-07-09 13:44:12
Link to this Comment: 2197

Other behaviors involving non-awareness that are interesting to us are: -sleep walking
-hyponosis
-anesthesis
-altered states resulting from medication
-injury to nervous system
-digestion
-sleeping
-heart action and circulation
-reactions to colors, smells, temperature,etc.
-decision-making ability

Implications for educators working with children with special needs and "normal" children as well are profound. Teaching children involves engaging children in an interactive process. Children with/without special needs present teachers with situations that are often difficult for most teachers to evaluate their students' awareness/ non-awareness. Children on medication, on drugs, depressed, stressed- may be perceiving material that you are presenting differently than how you think or intend.

I-function is located within a cluster of neurons in the brain. Where? How is it different from other control centers? Is it a central locus for integrating many "boxes"? How does it create it's sense of self? What's it's evolutionary purpose? Is a hightened sense of self evolutionarily beneficial?

"I" Function
Name: MichaelBoy
Date: 2002-07-09 13:46:43
Link to this Comment: 2198

The"I" Function idea was a provoking thought for discussion. It was intriguing to learn that Christopher Reeves could experience movement in his feet but, was unable to feel pain when pinched. It leaves me to wonder why this is so. My prior belief was that if any part of the nervous system was damaged there would be no movement or feeling.

We have learned that when dealing with the "I" Function you can have movement in some parts of the body but, cannot experience any information transmitting to the brain ("No pain No gain"). Several years ago my mother (Mrs. Adams) had lymph nodes removed from her left armpit which resulted in no feeling in her left arm. Whenever she goes to the doctor for blood work, they cannot take blood from her left arm. I now wonder how this experience is connected to the "I" function. Mother can move her arm but, she feels no pain in it.

In conclusion, we are still processing the concept of the "I" Function. Some things that we have learned are new to us. And that is learning, however, we are still working through it for ourselves.

By George She's Got it!
Date: 2002-07-10 13:02:29
Link to this Comment: 2199

Aliya:

Here is a summary of my observations based on what I think I have learned today:

First and foremost - I do not see how anyone cannot believe in God after knowing so much so indepth about the body. Our bodies are not simple coincidences of matter, but a highly organized set of properties when put in certain patterns create certain actions. The fact that man cannot reproduce or even fix these things, just studying them should be a definite signal of the Greater being.

Next:
Eat plenty of K

Next:
An external source cannot only affect an individual when that source can change the chemistry, battery and all of that "stuff"
Practical meaning for me: I may not be able to single handly connect everything to every child because the stimulus that i am giving may not connect with that person - continue to create something new with that child.

Next:
How about this - nuerons can react to internal stimulus - to me: there is no explanation that I can give for every action of a child. It may have been caused but not always caused by some external factor.

Next:
Reality is based on transducers:
Children can't always react to things as readily as we would like them to - several events must happen internally first

Finally: Think about behavior backwards:

Sometimes behavior is not caused but just that the inhibition for that behavior was temporaily removed: meaning: sometimes that kid that yelled in the room didn't just yell due to a certain stimuli, but the action of yelling is always present and the inhibitors are steadily working to override it.

Question: How much of this is I Function (spelled it right) and we (other folks) override someone else's I fuction for reasons of communiaction?????

Changes in permeablity and Na
Date: 2002-07-10 13:17:07
Link to this Comment: 2200

I learned alot today. I knew that there was a reason why I was slow to respond to let's say touching a hot object. By the time I realized that I was touching the hot object and removing my hand I would have the start of a severe burn. I always thought it was because I had slow reflexes. Today I learned that there is time between the action potiential. This also explained for me how someone could be shot or stabbed and not realize it for a few seconds. I remember taking a course on drug addiction and how alchol sits on the outside of cell blocking transmissions? I quess this would explain why we move slower when under the influence of alcohol? But the "I function" insists in this situation that it has everything under control.

I also am facinated with the idea that axion lenght varies somewhat but is basically the same for all animals. I guess this would explain why an elephant moves slower than a mouse?

My next thoughts are on how various chemicals can slow down or impair the action potiential of neurons.

neuron
Name: Ray/Bob
Date: 2002-07-10 13:21:45
Link to this Comment: 2201

Taking into consideration that a single neuron may be reguarded as a computer or decision maker, and recieves data from at least one thousand other neurons, and sends information to another thousand and further considering that there are 10 to the 12 power of them, this makes one hell of a committee for deciding what color of socks to wear in the morning.

Neurons/behavior
Name: Shellie
Date: 2002-07-10 13:22:36
Link to this Comment: 2202

First of all, now I think of behavior as possibly just happening not caused by any outside stimuli. For instance a student may throw a book just because---not because of anything happening in the environment to cause it.

Of course there are plenty of times when outside stimuli may cause behavior. Now I think that many neurons react to this stimuli and then sometimes a behavior will result and other times the behavior will be inhibited.I am not sure that I am less wrong with this. ( Now I am able to express these thoughts and not feel that I must be right---it's ok to experiment with thoughts. What a change for me!)

Also I see behavior a result of many small computers(neurons) reacting and not just the brain.

Neurons
Date: 2002-07-10 13:33:44
Link to this Comment: 2203

Neurons appear to be very complicated. The nervous systems is no joke. It works harder than I ever imagined. I now know that there is not a reaction to a stimulus. I'm still a little foggy on the input/output situation of neurons. It is clear that neurons take in information and put out information but, is the information that is put out a reaction? Or do reactions only occur inside the box?
It is hard to change the thoughts of an older person. I was taught to believe that when given a stimulus it would create a response. I can now relate to the children that are medicated in a whole new light. Last year I taught a child on Ritalin. He would say, "I couldn't help it I skipped my medication this morning" when he displayed poor behavior. It would upset me because I believed he could act accordingly. I now know that his imbalance did not allow him to control himself without taking his medication. In the future I would like to be more understanding when confronted with this type of situation. He would draw comic book characters to keep himself busy. I collected them until the end of the year. Maybe I could let him draw whenever he completes a task on time/early. If every neuron is in itself a computer then every human is a network of complicated systems that cannot be duplicated.

Neurons/behavior
Date: 2002-07-10 13:36:00
Link to this Comment: 2204

Originally, I didn't know that behavior could be generated outside the brain. How neurons generate their membrane action-potentials, resting potentials, receptor potential, and synaptic potentials seems (now that I understand it) so elegant. The idea that we are what we eat - in the sense that to retain ability to generate membrane/action potentials you have to consume food (ions) was interesting. Why is it that some neurons respond to specific external stimuli - some to light, some to heat, some to chemicals, some to touch? How do they "learn" their job? Is it genetic? What causes neurons to differentiate from other cells, and for different types of neurons to differentiate from one another? It can't just be random, there appears to be too much sophistication. How can neurons be repaired? Is it true that neurons don't reproduce themselves as other cells can?

New concepts:Brain & behavior behavior
Date: 2002-07-10 13:38:06
Link to this Comment: 2205

Cinny - I was very interested in learning about the importence of potassium and sodium permiability in relationship to neurons and their signals: action, resting, receptor and synoptic potential.
Lois - I am now able to see how the aspect of neurons organization in the inhibitory reaction of the battery signals reverses the reaction from neuron to neuron that may produce behavior out of the norm.

External/Internal Stimulus.
Name: Sharon and
Date: 2002-07-10 13:39:47
Link to this Comment: 2206

It has always been a big puzzle to me why some students do things or act in a way that's completely out of context with reference to what's going on in their environment (the classroom) In the past I had thought that the kid wasn't comfortable with the orderly conduct of fellow students (which is an externally generated stimulus). But now I want to consider the fact that it can also be an internally generated stimuli.

Being headless
Name: Bob/Ray
Date: 2002-07-10 13:40:04
Link to this Comment: 2207

You can have a life without a head. Read the story of Mike the headless chicken,

A True Story of One Bird's Will to Live

Four Stars
Name:
Date: 2002-07-11 21:13:22
Link to this Comment: 2209

Well PG I hope that we will move from two stars to at least four before the end of our session. The more I think about iut, the more i believe that Emily d. poem is a bunch of CRAP! If she is stating that everything is a creation of our mind or brain, taking that step further than she has concluded that we craeted God not beings craeted by God and I have BIG problems with that. The brain is finite and has limitations, yet the world as a creation is infinte therfore we could not have craeted it.

K-16 Collaboration
Name: Charles, S
Date: 2002-07-12 10:51:44
Link to this Comment: 2210

Name: Charles, Shellie, and Sam
Username:
Subject: K-16 Collaboration
Date: Fri Jul 12 10:35:31 EDT 2002
Comments:
Where Are We: City Year Program- students come into the school and help with instruction, motivation, and encouragement. However, some
of the City Year participants are not always responsible which disappoints teachers. There are also a group of Drexel Univ. students who
come to schools and teach lessons. However these students are not and do not plan on becomming teachers. It shows. It is a distraction to
the school and limited planning with little thought of the students, wastes time and resources. What Now: Participating college students need
to be better trained to work with "our" students. There needs to be more communication between teachers, college personnel, and college
students to more accurately address the needs and wants of all. This could be accomplished by a needs assessment. It would be helpful if
universities would provide more materials, resources, and financial support.

Ray, Bob, Joan, Brian
Date: 2002-07-12 11:02:44
Link to this Comment: 2211

What WORKS What DOESN'T WORK

1.) Supplies 1.) No supplies

2.) Equipment 2.) No equipment

3.) Personnel with willingness to share 3.) Just the opposite
"Processes" and "Ideas" that work

A.) In house A.) Visitors

B.) come prepared not to just lecture
C.) come prepared to work "hands on" with activities and "Processes"
with staf and our students.

4.) Homogenuously grouped classes 4.) Heterogenuosly grouped
classes

5.) Grant writing sometimes works 5.) But only if well written

6.) Bring in good grant writers 6.) Bad grant writer need not
apply

7.) Responsibility & authority 7.) Responsibility & NO Power

K-16 Collaborations
Date: 2002-07-12 11:04:02
Link to this Comment: 2212

Where are we now?

Many teachers within the district are stuck in the traditional method of instruction: talk and chalk. Science instruction demands a hands on approach to be effective in teaching processes and concepts. Lack of materials accessiblity and inadequate training on the use of new kits hinder student success. Lack of teacher training in new methods perpetuates a lack of student interest and phobias.

The Schoool District of Philadelphia's formula: city politics + purchase of program kits without training = student failure. Teachers must be given opportunities to critique new programs before they are introduced within the district in order to be successful. Our schools have a high transitional rate of teachers and students which causes instablity of instruction and learning.

What can be improved?

We need more stability within the district with lower staff and student transitions. Specific staff training on use of materials and new programs.
New teachers should receive more and longer mentoring assistance.

Where are we now in our collaborative efforts?

Many new programs and individuals offer to assist with the teaching of our students but their efforts are not clearly defined. The motivation for some student teachers seems to be geared towards receiving a good grade. Teachers need to be informed of the rubric that should be used to determine what the student teachers should be doing.

What can be improved in our collabrative efforts?

Teachers should have imput about the rubric that is used to evaluate student teacher performance. Therefore host teacher should be a part of the informed discussion that helps to create the rubric with the college prior to the student teacher placement.

Host teacher incentives should include not only a stipend but a kit, or a trip, and materials etc.

K-16 Collaborations
Name: Tunde, Dan
Date: 2002-07-12 11:37:30
Link to this Comment: 2213

Where are we now?

Sharon's K-8 school has a connection with U of P, College for kids, occurs on Saturdays and all disciplines are represented (ELA, Math, Science, Soc Studies, Economics and the Arts). The program works well and gives children exposure and motivation as well as incentives to do well in school.

Tunde - Olney High School has a program connection with Temple University (primarily focuses on 10th & 11th grades) where college students come and work with students academically. They also talk with students about extending their focus and about college ambitions .

Dana - The Green Schools program connected with Ada Lewis middle School as well as many other schools in the Philadelphia School district. They provide tremendous educational support, materials support, and small financial support. These supports prove to be extremely beneficial in promoting environmental and energy learning. This supports the assumption that connections with outside, colleges and business alike enhances student education.

There is also a collecge connection between Carver E & S and PCOM
and Temple University which provides the students with real life exposure to possible fields of interest. This proves to be very helpful to the students in terms of helping to decide on focus or concentration areas or to decide where they don't want to go.

We would like to see more college/student interaction period. Then we would like to see more of student/student interaction as opposed to staff/student interaction. We agree that teaching is a wonderful way of learning and agree that this would be extremely beneficial to student teachers. It is already a proven phenomenon that students very often learn better from their peers ( or those close in generation) thus this type of community teaming is good. It is a process that would be beneficial to classroom teachers as well because it provides a forum for us to view different teaching perspectives and strategies. It would be nice if these connections could somehow be built into curriculum and collaboration could take place between the schools and univerities and businesses before each school year. Perhaps we could even share in professional development.

Wish List
Name: Charles, S
Date: 2002-07-12 11:51:18
Link to this Comment: 2214

-orientation (meeting between teacher and college students prior to the beginning of the program, to enhance relationship and understanding.
-help students learn something about chemistry--constructivism approach--hands on experience
-have college students help with cooperative learning--collaboration with the teacher prior to this happening
-have the same college students working with the same class in order to develop rapport
-use different learning styles--be knowledgable of learning styles
-prepare some experiements of interest to the children
-bring to the classroom something the college students are doing that would interest the students
-maybe helpful to have them in the class for a good block of time
-teachers need to know when they are coming and have a preplanned time
-off sight visits to the university--science lab
-help with tutoring
-scientific games- fun with science
-long term project-when they come they know what they are working on
-community service-community porjects--help the students with this

Wish List
Name: Charles, D
Date: 2002-07-12 11:53:58
Link to this Comment: 2215

Name: Charles, Shellie, Lois, and Da
Username: Anonymous
Subject: Wish List
Date: 2002-07-12 11:51:18
Message Id: 2214
Comments:
-orientation (meeting between teacher and college students prior to the beginning of the program, to enhance relationship and understanding.
-help students learn something about chemistry--constructivism approach--hands on experience
-have college students help with cooperative learning--collaboration with the teacher prior to this happening
-have the same college students working with the same class in order to develop rapport
-bring to the classroom something the college students are doing that would interest the students
-help with tutoring

K-16 Collaborations
Date: 2002-07-12 11:54:53
Link to this Comment: 2216

Where are we now?

Many teachers within the district are stuck in the traditional method of instruction: talk and chalk. Science instruction demands a hands on approach to be effective in teaching processes and concepts. Lack of materials accessiblity and inadequate training on the use of new kits hinder student success. Lack of teacher training in new methods perpetuates a lack of student interest and phobias.

The Schoool District of Philadelphia's formula: city politics + purchase of program kits without training = student failure. Teachers must be given opportunities to critique new programs before they are introduced within the district in order to be successful. Our schools have a high transitional rate of teachers and students which causes instablity of instruction and learning.

What can be improved?

We need more stability within the district with lower staff and student transitions. Specific staff training on use of materials and new programs.
New teachers should receive more and longer mentoring assistance.

Where are we now in our collaborative efforts?

Many new programs and individuals offer to assist with the teaching of our students but their efforts are not clearly defined. The motivation for some student teachers seems to be geared towards receiving a good grade. Teachers need to be informed of the rubric that should be used to determine what the student teachers should be doing.

What can be improved in our collabrative efforts?

Teachers should have imput about the rubric that is used to evaluate student teacher performance. Therefore host teacher should be a part of the informed discussion that helps to create the rubric with the college prior to the student teacher placement.

Host teacher incentives should include not only a stipend but a kit, or a trip, and materials etc.

Wish List:

Students would present a hands on activity to complete in the classroom. The acitivites would have been discussed earlier with the teacher. The
student teacher would have developed a list of hands on activities that the classroom teacher would like at and pick those activities that would meet the needs of her particular classroom. The student teacher would have worked through the hands on activities before presenting them in the classroom. This presentation would include the student teacher bringing all of the needed materials and supplies.

Haverford College has the MAST program which is execellent! Why invent the wheel? Some of the aspects of this program are wonderful and has been received well by students at Hill Freeman. Each middle/high school student is paired with a mentor who tells them about college life, the also work on science and writing activities, students receive a stipend too. Each participating school recieves new technology!

Students need exposure and then guidance as soon as talents and interest are indicated. Outlets should be inplace.

Presentations on college life, how students got there, obstacles etc should be shared with students in a grade levels in an appropriate manner.

Wish List
Name: and Sam
Date: 2002-07-12 11:55:12
Link to this Comment: 2217

-help with tutoring

wish list
Date: 2002-07-12 12:08:28
Link to this Comment: 2218

EQUIPMENT:
1.) EKG macine + teaching module
2.) Consummables:(compuer paper, printers, print cartridges, dissectables,needed arts and crafts,etc.)
3.) Computer software for life sciences and physical sciences
4.) Optical mice for macs, pc's
5.) Clearing house for surplus equipment from Indusytry, colleges, universities.
6.) on-line series of anatomical slides.

COLLAORATIONS:
1,) e-mail "buddy" for grant-writing (teachers)
2.) e-mail "buddy" for lab-reporting (students)
3.) use e-mail to communicate among participants in our class here.

ACTIVITIES:
1.) Lab on Density vs. Mass
2.) Lab on sneses (vision, hearing, tactile, taste,etc.)
3.) lab on metric measurement of solids, liqids, gases (pipets, micropipets, balances,etc.)
4.) Lab on the proper use and care of microscopes
5.) Lab on how to measure using the microscope(micrometry).

Summation
Date: 2002-07-15 09:31:28
Link to this Comment: 2219

What this class has done for me is made me more aware. This is across the board - I have seen and read many articles since last week on "the brain" and words like nuerons and synaps (sp) are no longer AS foreign. I also now feel I have many more questions than answers in concerns to the brain so that I would assume is a move in the right direction as well.

I am definetly feeling less wrong about many things and i love computer technolgy and the reading of html is great. I have gone on web pages and actually looked to see the "tags" and would maybe enjoy an entire class on it.

I was told that it will take me two or three times for this information to really sink in - so I guess I have at least one more go around - I am learning, but the I function does not understand it all -

Thanx

Aliya

Thoughts from us
Name: Shellie an
Date: 2002-07-15 09:36:38
Link to this Comment: 2220

Shellie found Thomas's talk on pharmacology very interesting and exciting. He started her brain thinking about "questions, questions,. . .and more questions". It was interesting to learn about the neurotransmitters and recognize many of them from our every day life. Another thing that came up this weekend was that my husband found out that he was very low in potassium which made her think of the uses of K in the our daily brain function.

I found Thomas's talk intriguing. To learn that an addict could be stimulated simply by looking at a picture of the corner they bought their stuff on explained greatly why I have family members that no matter how many times they dry-out they still keep going back to get their fix--no matter the consequences. The workings of the brain can leave a person thinking.

Psychopharmocology
Date: 2002-07-15 09:38:04
Link to this Comment: 2221

Earl Thomas' lecture was great! Very informative and fun. He was approachable about maintaining a science connection with our group when we return to our classrooms. He also mentioned the Society for Neuroscience - a program my students and I attended several times in the past. I hope to find out more information about this organization for future interaction with my students.

Comments of a past nicotine addict
Date: 2002-07-15 09:41:34
Link to this Comment: 2222

I thought about Dr. Thomas's comments on the last portion of his discussion Thursday involving work being done by a Bryn Marw graduate. Her work involves taking pictures of the brain as ex addicts are shown movies of drug buys and drug use. The pictures show activity in the portion of the brain that stimulates pleasure? I was watching a movie inwhich the main character continued to chain smoke throughout the movie. I started to think about smoking and really wanted a cigarette. Last night I had a dream about smoking and experience the same type of dry mouth when I woke up that I use to have when smoking. I can believe that I experience some type of stimulation and memory that occured because of the movies because I don't hang out with smokers now. As a matter of course I usually think about smoking when I am stressed but I ignore the urge.

Final thought for Dr. Thomas...can we extract those chemicals within the human sytem that seem to help with surpression of drug addiction as oppose to creating drugs that have tremendous side effects. Or can we find natural non addictive remedies like acupucture to fight drug addition and mental anxiety or depression.

Weekend
Name: Michael/Ra
Date: 2002-07-15 09:45:19
Link to this Comment: 2223

One thing we were wondering about this weekend was how does asprin\tylenol affect the "I Function." Another thing is how can the brain play tricks on you? It seems as if the brain is very complicated. The nervous system is overworked. I try to please my brain as often as possible. This weekend I entered the Serindip website at home in hopes of doing some html work. I worked for about an hour but, didn't get anything done. I believe that my brain felt nothing but pure pleasure this weekend. Cookouts, television, shopping, eating, etc. always makes one happy.

Thoughts From The Weekend
Date: 2002-07-15 09:45:21
Link to this Comment: 2224

I share with my mother and others, the things that I had learned in class about the brain and behavoir. I was very impress with Dr. Thomas presentation on addictions and the effect and consequences addictions has on the brain.It had callaborated with the testimony of addicted persons experiences with the drugs.
Lois
Absorbing the multitude of information was mind consuming. I found the information on neurotransmitters to be most interesting. I am torn between learning how to utilize the information presented in a practical situation vs. personal situations.
CINNY

Human evolution, language and mythology
Name: Hope Glove
Date: 2002-07-15 09:46:54
Link to this Comment: 2225

Just a thought: Most cultures have mythology that talks about man's ability to talk to animals. In the Bible, Eve was tempted by the serpent and caused man to be kicked out of the Garden of Eden. In Africa the turtle, monkey and snake have always been given the ability to speak. How about the evolution of man casuing him to lose the ability to talk to animals because they were first viewed as brothers but now they are viewed as prey.

Dolphins seem to become pretty frustrated when their trainers don't seem to understand their series of clicks and screams "dolphin talk"

this weekend
Name: Charles
Date: 2002-07-15 09:51:42
Link to this Comment: 2226

The past week/weekend has cause me to consider the whole premise of "being less wrong" I can understand this model in that it allows students to be more free to explore various options. However, this type of exploration does not neccessarily exclude the eventuallity of truth, even including the traditional scientific method.

Brainscanning
Name: Dana, Shar
Date: 2002-07-15 09:55:10
Link to this Comment: 2227

Through continious research there is so much to learn about the brain in every day life. The overall function of the brain and the central nervous system involves many things. Everything is in constant motion. We learned about the organization of the central nervous system as a combination of many smaller systems. We learned about neurons, dendrites and axons. We then went further and learned about transmitters, receptors, action potential and synaptic. Most interestingly was the "I" function and the implications on student behavior in the classroom. Also how the "I" function relates to thinking about what you have learned and how the unconscious relates to the right brain. Then we learned about neuropharmacology through following the addiction and recovery processes of drug addicts. We learned how addiction affects the behavioral pattern of compulsive drug use.

Nervous System
Date: 2002-07-16 12:17:01
Link to this Comment: 2228

I was surprised to learn that there are many other functioons of the lower nervous system. We do not use the I "Function" as much as I thought. One thing I learned today is that there are more than just five senses. We have many. I was wondering if the glucose sensory does not work in people who are diabetic. Both of my parents are diabetic. They crave sugar more than an average person. Why is this so? Is it because they know that they are not suppose to have it or is it a chemical inbalance in the brain? The things that I learned that would be very useful in the classroom is that the brain plays tricks on us and that a lot of learning takes place without thinking about it. Hence, the saying, sit back, relax, you might learn something by accident.

Input/output
Date: 2002-07-16 13:03:56
Link to this Comment: 2229

It is interesting how the brain puts things together for us. You can see why teachers often think they have explained a subject area well to find out later that their students often come up with a different slant on what was taught. In particular, I think that visual information you provided would be of great help to me in my classroom. We often dissect mammalian eyes - and the students come up with insightful, interesting questions - that I often do not have the answers to. Consequently, asking alot of questions is important to find out where students are coming from when we cover specific topics.

motor&sensory nervous system
Date: 2002-07-16 13:14:30
Link to this Comment: 2230

I do not have a classroom but I do work with a lot of teachers and a lot of classrooms. I think it is ironic that teachers spend so much energy with students finishing class work, homework ect. when many of the students get the message through the workings of the motor and sensory nervous system without the extra work that the teachers request. I am not sure if this is correct but if it is--teachers could be more relaxed. Maybe they need to be more compulsive with some students who need the extra. I feel if they were less compulsive students would enjoy school more.

aspects of motor/sensory perception
Name: bob/ray
Date: 2002-07-16 13:23:16
Link to this Comment: 2231

"The increasing patterns of unpredictability of mammals was a selective factor for the survival of mammals"
We, as teachers, do our best to minumnize unpredictability of response in our students. WHY do we do this?

Nervous System
Date: 2002-07-16 13:29:11
Link to this Comment: 2232

I was surprised to learn that there are many other functions of the lower nervous system. We do not use the I "Function" as much as I thought. One thing I learned today is that there are more than just five senses. We have many. I was wondering if the glucose sensory does not work in people who are diabetic. Both of my parents are diabetic. They crave sugar more than an average person. Why is this so? Is it because they know that they are not suppose to have it or is it a chemical inbalance in the brain? The things that I learned that would be very useful in the classroom is that the brain plays tricks on us and that a lot of learning takes place without thinking about it. Hence, the saying, sit back, relax, you might learn something by accident.

Comments from Mike.

I am not surprise to learn that there are more than five primary senses. Such senses as ESP or the body trying to keep homestasis, are evidences that there are other "senses" in the nervous system. Another interesting body of knowledge that was shared is the idea of the the central pattern generator and its behavior when is its operating independently from the "I Function." presently, my little daughter, Michaela, is learning to walk. It is interesting to see her doing it so naturally even though she stumbles and falls. Here she is not using her "I Function," but through central Pattern generator she is moving away step by step.

unconscious awareness
Name: Dana, Gerr
Date: 2002-07-16 13:30:57
Link to this Comment: 2233

Discussion around the "sixth sense" just reinforces a teaching concept which states that to be effective you must meet your students where they are and teach from that point. In other words, you cannot assume that everyone is at the same place and is receiving your input the same way. Everyone's reality is different. Everyone's learning style is different and there are multiple intelligences that affect the sensory side of processing.

Teaching and Learning.
Name: Sharon and
Date: 2002-07-16 13:36:31
Link to this Comment: 2234

The main thought that's flashing across my mind now is the need to realize that the fact that I'm teaching doesn't mean that my students are learning. There's a big distinction between the two. A teacer can be up there all school year long, sweating it out in order for the students to learn. But the sad thing is that they are not really learning anything or let me put it better either of the following is taking place;

1. My teaching endeavor (the input) is being processed differently in ther brain or the nervous system thereby making the output or their response to the teaching irrelevant to one another.

2. There are inputs within the nervous system (the box) that are internally generated which are also has a major part to play in the way the kids digest information and show what they have been ableto learn.

We might need to be flexible in our teaching mode from time to time.

Classroom Use?
Date: 2002-07-16 13:42:01
Link to this Comment: 2235

The section about pheremones would be particularly interesting to children. As well as using the "look a person directly in the eye" experiment to see if the pupil dialates. If the pupil dialates the person is supposedly "interested" in you. This would generate great conversation, as well as laughs, giggles and smiles among the children as they recorded their observations.
Cinny/Lois

I function vs. input with in the box
Date: 2002-07-16 14:56:15
Link to this Comment: 2236

I think that today's discussion helped to reinforce my thoughts about teaching science in the classroom. Students not only enjoy learning about science but they remember more when given the opportunity to do hands on activities. When they are writing or listening to a lecture the I function has more control. PG we are your students, please more hands on activities and demonstrations in your laboratory! We want to learn as much as possible about Brain and Behavior.

I function vs. input with in the box
Date: 2002-07-16 14:59:43
Link to this Comment: 2237

I think that today's discussion helped to reinforce my thoughts about teaching science in the classroom. Students not only enjoy learning about science but they remember more when given the opportunity to do hands on activities. When they are writing or listening to a lecture the I function has more control. PG we are your students, please more hands on activities and demonstrations in your laboratory! We want to learn as much as possible about Brain and Behavior.

I would like to learn more about how our other senses "complete our reality". The blind spot experiment is intersting. I think the pupil dialation activity is interesting. I wonder what happens when your partner is not fond of you?

"Reality" and the Brain
Date: 2002-07-17 12:59:28
Link to this Comment: 2238

Today's disuccsion was very interesting. The idea that the brain fills in, duplicates, and creates what we view as "reality" simply indicates that there is more to biology that evolution. Something that started the process and that lead to human "intelligence". Do all animals view "reality" in the same way? The answer should be yes, because those animals with all of the necessary optical components should be able to perform the same physical functions. What part does "perception" and "reason" play in this process?

Forumless
Date: 2002-07-17 13:10:16
Link to this Comment: 2239

PG I have not completlt tuned out, however I do believe that some of this is just 2 DEEP 4 my usage. I am getting a lot out of this session and what I feel I have no use for I just tune out. Sitting in a class with u helps me relate to my students better. I c the passion and joy u have when speaking about many science related findings and sometimes I can share your light and sometimes I can't. This has been a journey!

Aliya

Reality
Date: 2002-07-17 13:12:33
Link to this Comment: 2240

Reality--what is it??? Now that we have studied the brain I have a much different view of reality. I see now that there is a different reality for all of us. So much goes into the reality for each individual--our DNA, our life experiences, and how our neurons and brain create the reality .Now I will not be so hard on people when they don't see things like I do--we all have our own reality.

reality
Name: BOB & RAY
Date: 2002-07-17 13:17:51
Link to this Comment: 2241

Reality is what ever my I function says it is! Could we carry on a "normal" life if we truly did not believe our concept of reality? If our brain's reailty is too different from other people's reality, we are called insane yet a so called insane person could have just as valid [but different]reality as so called sane people.
Are there different realities at different stages of life or brain development? What does mean for education?
How much of our reaility is sensory input and how much is determined by us testing our perceptions against the perceptions of other people? Consider the challenge of accompanying your spouse or significant other to a paint store to select a color which will match a swatch of fabric or thread sample from the rug in the room you desire to paint. Not only is there an opportunity to test your sense of reality based on sensory perception but also a test of your relationship's future survival.

Reality and the brain
Name: Tunde and
Date: 2002-07-17 13:18:57
Link to this Comment: 2242

The way things are going especially with the discussions we have been been having in the institute, one can say there's no absolute reality because what may seem real to you may not be seem real to me. In this sense reality is a function of so many things amongst which are your experience, the your location and the internally generated action potentials in the neurons.

On another hand it is very important to come to the knowledge of the fact that there is an absolute reality based on spiritual explanations.

Presently I'm working on a computer in Bryn Mawr. The room is "perfectly" set up with all the wires, machines, desks, stools, lights and switches in place. The reality is someone put everything in place and made sure they are all working perfectly. The same argument can be put forward for the creation of the Universe etc. It came not by accident but by a perfectly supreme being who must have been there before time and will be there when time is no more. If this is not the case, there will be no standard point of reference for most things that take place in our society today. For example there are laws that we regard as absolute truth. For example when someone commits murder, he or she has to be convcted and punished. If not anyone can do anything and claim since there's no absolute reality no one has the right to punish them.

reality?
Date: 2002-07-17 13:20:22
Link to this Comment: 2243

It appears "reality" is what we make of it. Everyone has a somewhat different "reality". The universe is not exactly as we perceive it to be. The brain creates much of what we think is "reality". This makes "reality" much more interesting than it did before.

reality?
Date: 2002-07-17 13:21:26
Link to this Comment: 2244

It appears "reality" is what we make of it. Everyone has a somewhat different "reality". The universe is not exactly as we perceive it to be. The brain creates much of what we think is "reality". This makes "reality" much more interesting than it did before.

reality?
Date: 2002-07-17 13:21:37
Link to this Comment: 2245

reality?
Date: 2002-07-17 13:23:14
Link to this Comment: 2246

Personal feeling about "reality" as it appears fro
Name: M. Boyd
Date: 2002-07-17 13:24:43
Link to this Comment: 2247

When asked the question about reality, a colleague of mine said, "Reality is what you made of life." I thought that was a very abrupt and interesting response. Yet from our studying the brain in class there have been some comfortable/uncomfortable (in my estimation about) about reality. I believe that people have a world-life view about life. Some people believe that we evolve from millions of years ago from ponds or different organisms. Other people believe that we were created by a Supreme Being and Maker. Therefore from this world-life view or "perspective" we view life and reality.
From studying the brain, I do see where light affecting our "lateral
inhibition network" can have a great impact how we see things. A classical illustration that was used in the classroom, was the use of the wall and the variation of photons that were emitted. the question that was asked was" Is the wall real or was it a perspective of the amount of light that it was receiving? To me the wall is real even though I might have to reaffirm its reality through my senses. I say that the wall is real because it has the the qualities of a wall and what the maker intended it to be. However, even though an observer might have problems in establishing the "truth" that it is not a wall; that does not change the fact of the intention of the objective of the builder who built the wall.
From studying the brain, I can say that yes, some things that are perceived to be might not be. For instant, walking through the woods at night and observing foliages on a tree, one would conclude that the leaves are black. However, one must take in consideration that the leaves are seen in light of the light in which it is being observed, which is darkness. This must be taken in serious consideration. Therefore, this conclusion should be tested, retested and revised before we can say it is reality (truth). I believe there is truth and reality. Yes, certain objects might be eskewed by our observation and conclusion, but that does not necessarily say that there is no truth.

I declare War
Date: 2002-07-18 12:58:32
Link to this Comment: 2248

It seems that life itself is composed of many layers of understanding. Our nervous system has to be composed of various levels as well. What is interesting (in keeping with the I function theory) is that there are so many layers that we still cannot tap into. The I function is able to control the body in many ways by tapping into those layers that lay dormant to the conscious of most of us. This is how those who trains themselves to walk on those hot coals or to not give in under inhumane circumstances master these tasks.

What we are used to doing is responding with our I fuction to the rest of our body's signals and dealing with the issues at hand with whatever urgency out i fucntion thinks is needed. I had a pain ( those under boxes) that has been bothering me for a long time and I've tried otc ( i function trying to fix it), but somehow I couldn't chnage it so I am here at the doctor's looking for something stronger to override this feeling.

Now I don't if that made any sense to you, but it helped many lightbulbs click on in my head. I used to think our body was just one big harmonious insinct machine, buit I do beleive that there are things that have power that are trying to overthrow other powerful bodies all the time. We have inhibitions that fight constant urges, weight scales that are willing to put more on than our i fuction approves of - so the war goes on.

What we are trying to do on a self aware level is fight for more control than our bodies are willing to yeild to us and so the battle continues.

Name: Gerry, Dan
Date: 2002-07-18 13:04:11
Link to this Comment: 2249

The Motor Cortex in the brain is very powerful. It inhibits other parts of the brain. It is Topographically organized in different areas . Pharmcological Dependence, Semi-Autonomy, and Pathology all play an important role in the brain and in the Nervous System. A large percentage of people experience REM, and Paradoxial changes which effect the overall state of the nervous system. Dr. Kim Cassidy had some very interesting ideas about the NON-Verbal learning Disabilities, which made me think about me, and where I fit in.

Variations in learning styles.
Date: 2002-07-18 13:11:34
Link to this Comment: 2250

A most informative session. Paychological tests that are used to detect non-verbal disabilities gave a good insight to some problems we meet with our students.

Rationality and the I function
Date: 2002-07-18 13:15:29
Link to this Comment: 2251

A great deal of this information was like a stretch of the imagination. I especially liked the section where the eye would perceive one thing and then later perceive something else. Children would especially enjoy this type of presentation and it would be a good journal starter for creative writing.

nonverbal behavior problems
Name: brian & jo
Date: 2002-07-18 13:38:44
Link to this Comment: 2252

I was surprised to see the tremendous variation in responses from the teachers who participated in the copying activites in Kim Cassidy's afternoon session.It helped me to comprehend the diverse responses my students give to activities in the classroom.It also helped me to understand and look for nonverbal indicators of diffulties in my students responses. Further it inspires me to develop novel ways to help my students compensate for such difficulties.

Ambiguity
Name: Mona
Date: 2002-07-18 13:45:52
Link to this Comment: 2253

What we see is always uncertain is a shocking statement for me!! I have always believed that what you see is mostly truth. This is not true if two people can look at the same picture and see two different things. It is amazing to know that the nervous system does the best job possible to interpret what we see. Blind sight reminds me of my driving experience. While changing lanes I often check the middle rear view mirror leaving a blind spot on the right side. I won't switch lanes until I check the mirrors again. Even though I don't see any cars I have a certain feeling when one is approaching my blind spot and I will not change lanes. This feeling is usually correct which saves me from having a car accident. More men need intrinsic variability. They sometimes have problems doing things randomly.

Kim
Date: 2002-07-18 13:50:26
Link to this Comment: 2254

Yesterday's session with Kim was quite helpful. She was very knowledgeable on non-verbal learning disabilities. She really opened my eyes to some children that had problems in my school this year. She had a different view that was helpful to me. I can't wait to explore the possibility that these students may have n a non-verbal learning disability. They don't fit into the picture of LD to me--now they do. They had problems and we did not have any answers.

I would really like to hear from Kim again. I am sure she has a lot more to share with us. Maybe we could have another session this fall.

Today was great--so much information on such intersting topics. How about a workshop on brain & emotion--addiction, drugs, mental health, learning styles. There is sooo much more information I am sure you have to share with us. I feel like the doors were just opened.

I was pleased to learn the importance of dreaming and day dreaming--I am going to use them more.

nonverbal learning
Name: charles &
Date: 2002-07-18 14:42:40
Link to this Comment: 2255

Kim Cassidy's presentation on nonverbal learning disabilitities was very interesting. We all demonstrated a vast amount of variation when we were completing the coying projects. Some of the discussion by the teachers indicatedhow concerned and even frustrated many of us are as teachers trying to understand the overwhelming amount of students we all have.

Nonverbal Learning Disablities
Date: 2002-07-19 09:46:35
Link to this Comment: 2256

Students who exhibit learning disablities really have a hard time in the Phila School District now. When the District instituted inclusion, many teachers were alarmed. We were not prepared to work with these students. Nor were we given any special training to work with these students. Consequently all students suffered to some degree. Classroom management and increased classroom disruptions seem to have increased.

How can we make it a matter of course, that all students be tested for these disorders because many urban African American males have difficulty reading and then how can we create classrooms where all types of learners are educated?

one thought
Name: SAhellie
Date: 2002-07-19 11:52:14
Link to this Comment: 2257

I sill look at my life experiences as getting things "less wrong". This has been such a freeing concept. I hope to bring this to my students, teachers, and parents that I work with. Thanks for everything......

Impact on my future teaching
Date: 2002-07-19 11:53:59
Link to this Comment: 2258

I will take back with me to my classroom a greater motivation to have more hands on activities. This will allow the students to use the boxed underneath with less use of the "I function" initially. I hope others will follow suite.

Forum Sum Up
Date: 2002-07-19 11:56:55
Link to this Comment: 2259

I guess my single thought that I will take with me is the need for teaching to be consistently diversified because the brain is ever changing the stories.

Most important concept
Date: 2002-07-19 11:58:54
Link to this Comment: 2260

The idea that there may be no right or wrong answer. That as a seeker I will strive to get things "less wrong". As a teacher, and a parent, I will value everyones independent spirit and work to develop more activities that help young people become aware of the I-function awarenesses and inputs from other areas that make up their distinct personalities.

Observation
Date: 2002-07-19 12:00:40
Link to this Comment: 2261

The Single observation from this summer's institute that will have the most impact on my future teaching is getting it less wrong. Children are made to believe that they must have the correct answer.
Ramona

This institute has been a wonderful exprience. I have learned many things about the brain and how it works. I think that learning about the "I Function" was both a revelation and a new experience. Learning that the "I Function" works separately from the the unconscious gives me a better understanding in teaching. This will be very helpful in preparing lesson to teach those who come to me

ENCODING THE UNCONSCIOUS
Date: 2002-07-19 12:00:52
Link to this Comment: 2262

Reflecting back on this summer's institute, I must say that I was most intrigued by the unconscious's ability to perpetually learn and consequently influence the conscious. For somw time, I have been aware of the idea that often times, our students, being products of their experiences are projecting their parent's unconscious and if they are not aware of this, they continue to mirror and repeat their parent's mistakes. I hope to influence a change in this behavior by both my teaching methodologies and my helping the students to model their behavior on mine. The task falls to me to be more in tune with my unconscious mind and to know what is real and what is perceived.

Education Is An Exploration Explora ble
Date: 2002-07-19 12:01:13
Link to this Comment: 2263

That I as an educator should always see our students as unique and valuable individuals. I am equipe as a educator to help them to tap into and use their unconscienous and conscienous " I - function " resources.The brain is a remarkable piece of equipement.Yes! educators are explorers.

Name: Gerry an
Date: 2002-07-19 12:02:25
Link to this Comment: 2264

Self is the blend of Environment and I- Function. A time will always kick in where their is absence of the I-Function.

The two most profound concepts for me were that perception is a summary of our visual experiences that take us to an initial hypothesis. We must then experiment to test our hypothesis and disprove or validate what we see. This concept does not make me happy as I tend not to be consciously detail oriented as it is. This on top of not really seeing what i initially see causes some concerns for me. The second is the concept of striving to be less wrong. I also learned a lot about the power of the unconscious, boy is it powereful!

summary of observations
Date: 2002-07-19 12:02:51
Link to this Comment: 2265

Through this summer institute we have learned a presentional style that would help our students learn -whatever the subject matter- in a better way. The process included introducing a topic, giving the students a bunch of experiencal opportunities, and then summarizing what they think and feel. Basically, the students are involved in a process of internal learning and not just memorization. Deepest thanks.

Name: Sharon Lee
Date: 2002-07-19 12:06:39
Link to this Comment: 2266

The institute has been exceedinly rewarding in all aspects. The relationship between the I function and the unconscious has truly been fascinating. sh

observation
Name: sam and ch
Date: 2002-07-19 12:07:36
Link to this Comment: 2267

science as circular method of reasoning as opposed to linear thought...more to come

Reflections bbi02
Date: 2002-07-19 12:08:42
Link to this Comment: 2268

We can never get it "right"! We can only get it less wrong! With continous loops we get it less wrong. We never stop learning. If we think that we have it right, it may inhibit the rate of learning.

This has tremendous meaning for life and how we approach education.

Main Point
Name: Aliya Brad
Date: 2002-07-19 12:37:24
Link to this Comment: 2269

Until i took this class for the second time I really didn't realize the extent that the c;ass has affected my tecahing stle. I have understood and comprehended many things that I will build upon for this upcoming school year.

The major theme of this class that I will take with me is that reality is based on many factors that have nothing to do with anything dependant of that individual. Teaching assumes in many cases that I will give the "perfect" enviornment and learning will instantly take place. This does not take into account the situations that affect that child, the stimuli and inhibitions that the student may have and a host of things that make that person who he/she.

As I begin to charge my battery for yet another exciting year filled with new faces and places - I will try to keep all the things I learned in this class.

thanks, colleagues
Name: Paul Grobstein
Date: 2002-07-19 15:11:36
Link to this Comment: 2270

It really was a very pleasant, productive, and provocative two weeks. For you all too, I hope. We'll leave this forum area open for a bit, in case anyone has thoughts they want to share.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:19 CDT