Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Science and Culture Forum

The relation between science and culture generally is a matter of concern to both scientists and nonscientists. This forum is open to everyone for discussion of thoughts arising from and extending materials in Serendip's Science and Culture section. Comments entered here will be posted automatically. Comments not meant to be posted can be sent by e-mail.

Serendip's forums sometimes get longer than what can conveniently be accessed and displayed. They are, at the same time, in their entirety an important part of what Serendip has become at any given time (and, of course, particular contributions may well be of lasting significance). To try and balance needs for easy display and those of continuous and permanent record, only this year's forum comments are displayed on this page with earlier comments being preserved elsewhere. To go to the forum for prior years, click on the year below.

Year: - Current postings- 2000/2001 - 1998/1999 - 1997 - 1996

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

ADHD - Dyslexia
Name: Charles T.
Date: 2002-05-24 11:57:36
Link to this Comment: 2134

For your info, here's a new ADHD resource which discusses ADHD and the science behind how some FDA approved medicines can temporarily reduce distractibility, increase attention span, and improve fine motor control.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ADHD_Bulletin_Board/

Discusses EEG, MRI, and SPECT brain scans. Contains some comments made about dyslexia (an extreme difficulty in learning how to read easily - which in its classic form is different than ADHD).

Name: Shirley an
Date: 2002-07-23 14:51:39
Link to this Comment: 2343

Sites to explore:

1. Ask ERIC - http://www.askeric.org/cgi-bin/lessons.cgi/science
This contains many site for math and science information and lessons.
- By Subject - and specialized data base.

2. Alta Vista - Category - www.m.kids.com/Smachines.htm - pictures and
some text.

3. Ask Jeeves - Provides a lot of sites for kids and homework help.

Name: Shirley an
Date: 2002-07-24 12:06:24
Link to this Comment: 2361

In response to Sharon's presentation on color we found the information very
interesting. Because students learn about primary colors in art, a connection in science can be made by going into what makes us see blue, green,
or yellow. These colcrs are what the brain interprets when color detectors are stimulated.

Once students understand how primary colors are forumlated they can practice making other secondary and complementary colors. Students can also utilize
color dots to experiment creating new colors. This can work well in cooperative learning groups as students discover, experiment and illustrate
in their journals.

Name: Shirley/Sh
Date: 2002-07-25 13:09:18
Link to this Comment: 2373

Kaye Edwards presentation presented a different way of bridging everyday events
into a scientific way of thinking. The process can be delivered into the
classroom by allowing students the see how everything is connected to science. A familiar connection to their immediate world would be the
newspaper in which they can find an article or two to share with the class.

Name: Tom
Date: 2002-07-26 13:05:11
Link to this Comment: 2408

I know you believe you understand what you think I'm saying,but I'm not sure you realize that what you're hearing is not what I really mean.

Name: Shirley
Date: 2002-07-30 15:30:35
Link to this Comment: 2424

Because of the way society continues to view boys and girls, girls still
find science as a not so friendly subject. It is encouraging that Rosser
has introduced the concept of making science female friendly. Hopefully
this alternative approach will make a difference.

Graduate schools
Name: Karen Hoff
Date: 2003-11-08 02:58:42
Link to this Comment: 7152

I'm a senior at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in biology and writing. For a long time I've been interested in bridging the gap between the sciences and humanities, or "science and culture." I was hoping someone could suggest graduate programs that would allow me to explore this topic further. Thanks.

Karen

for authors
Name:
Date: 2005-06-18 09:39:37
Link to this Comment: 15351

Name:
Date: 2005-06-18 09:41:50
Link to this Comment: 15352

Name:
Date: 2005-10-31 13:52:12
Link to this Comment: 16725

Air pollution and pollen in NYC - information sour
Name: Else J
Date: 2006-07-24 10:41:52
Link to this Comment: 19982

Hi, I came across the Serendip web pages and wonder if you would know of studies comparing NYC with other big cities with respect to air pollution level (incl ozone)? Also, might anyone direct me to a pollen levels survey or continuous information source for NYC. I am especially interested in information on a type of tree that I have not yet managed to identify - it is very common along the streets, has a wrinkled bark, and long leaf midribs, with some 10-15 or maybe more series of little ovalshaped leaves attached to each midrib. If ever you could assist me getting to the relevant sources I would immensely appreciate it. The web is excellent but one can spend days searching through thousands of pages, not finding precisely what one seeks. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance - a direct reply by email would be much appreciated also.

Else J.

Forum Archived
Name: Webmaster
Date: 2006-11-28 14:31:54
Link to this Comment: 21205

This forum has now been archived and is closed to new postings. If you are interested in continuing the conversation, please contact Serendip.

We like to hear from you.

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:38 CDT