Biology 361 = Computer Science 361
Bryn Mawr College
List of suggested books for student review
(suggestions for additions to this list are welcome)
- Robert Axelrod, The Complexity of Cooperation, 1997; The Evolution of Cooperation, 1984.
- Per Bak, How Nature Works, 1999
- Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, Linked, 2003
- Mark Buchanan, Nexus, 2002
- Malcom Gladwell, The Tipping Point, 2000
- Malcolm Gladwell, Blink, 2005
- John Holland, Emergence, 1999
- Steven Johnson, Emergence, 2001
- Stuart Kauffman, At Home in the Universe, 1996
- Resnick, Mitchell, Turtles, Termites, and Traffic Jams, 1997
- Steven Strogatz, Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order, 2003
- R. Mitchell Waldrop, Complexity, 1992
- Duncan Watts, Six Degrees: The Science of a Connected Age, 2004
Addendum 20 February, as per blog:
More book ideas:
- A Feeling for The Organism: The Life and Work of Barbara McClintock, by Evelyn Fox Keller, 1984
- Making Sense of Life: Explaining Biological Development with Models, Metaphors, and Machines, by Evelyn Fox Keller, 2003
- The Death and Life of Great American Cities, by Jane Jacobs, 1992
- The Nature of Economies, by Jane Jacobs, 2001
- Composing a Life, by Catherine Bateson, 2001
- Cosmopolitanism: Ethics in a World of Strangers, by K. Anthony Appiah, 2006
- Topophilia: A Study of Environmental Perception, Attitudes, and Values, by Yi-Fu Tuan, 1990
- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas R. Hofstader. ...GEB is a very personal attempt to say how it is that animate beings can come out of inanimate matter.
- The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins.
- On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin.
- Creation: Life and how to make it, Steve Grand.
- Vehicles, Valentino Braitenberg.
- The Origins of Order, Stuart Kauffman.
| Course Home Page
| Complexity | Serendip Home |
Send us your comments at Serendip
© by Serendip 1994-
- Last Modified:
Wednesday, 02-May-2018 10:51:07 CDT