Brain and Behavior Evolving Web List
RESOURCE LISTS, SEARCHABLE INDICES, JOURNALS
GENERAL TREATMENTS OF BRAIN AND BEHAVIOR
- Neurosciences on the Internet, a searchable and browsable index of WWW resources
- The World Wide Web Virtual Library - Neuroscience
- Neuroscience for Kids, by Erik Chudler, University of Washington, "for all students and teachers who would like to know more about the nervous system" ... a large array of exhibits and resource lists useful for everyone, regardless of level of sophistication. Includes
- Neuroscience journals on the internet, by Erik Chudler
- Internet Neuroscience Resources, by Erik Chudler
- Neuroscience Education, by Erik Chudler
- Electronic Journals, neuroscience journals available on the web, from Neurosciences on the Internet
NeuroRoulette, randomly generated accessible sites from Neuroscience on the Internet
- Cognitive Neuroscience Resources
- Books, articles, and talks ... "mostly on brains, evolution, and where we're heading", extensive, mostly by William Calvin, University of Washington, but with references to others
- Mental Health ... an evolving resource base on Serendip
- Millenium project: the top 100 works in cognitive science, from the Center for Cognitive Science, University of Minnesota (not, unfortunately, links to online texts)
- Classics in the history of psychology ... a major resource of online texts and links to online texts
- The Brain Project, by Stephen Jones ... supported by the Creative Development Branch of the Australian Film Commission ... "chapters on various issues related to consciousness"
- Mind and Body: Rene Descartes to William James
- The Elaborate Machine, a special issue from Feedmag.com on "The New Brain"
- Explore the brain and spinal cord, from Neuroscience for kids by Erik Chudler, University of Washington
- Seeing, hearing, and smelling the world, from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Senses and Sensitivity: Neuronal Alliances for Sight and Sound, webcast lectures from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Biological Clocks, webcast lectures from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- MIT Encyclopedia of Cognitive Sciences
- Brain and Behavior ... from Serendip
- Topics in Brain and Behavior, student papers written for Biology 202, Bryn Mawr College
- Behavioral Science Claims the Decade, from the APA Monitor
- Sheep Brain Dissection Guide, from University of Scranton Neuroscience Program
- Comparative Mammalian Brain Collections, from the University of Wisconsin
- The Whole Brain Atlas
- Digital Anatomist, from University of Washington, includes interactive brain atlas and neuroscience course syllabus
- Neuroscience Tutorial, clinical neuroscience, from Washington University
- Neuroanatomy and Neuropathology on the internet, from University Medical School, Debren, Hungary
- The Human Brain: Dissections of the Real Brain, from Virtual Hospital
Neurology Web Forums, from Masschusetts General Hospital, "to foster online discussions between patients,
caregivers and physicians about various Neurology-related topics".
- Interactive illustrations of color perception", from Brown University
- Counter-rotating spirals illusion, by Mark Newbold, who provides also an animated Necker Cube and a stereoscopic animated hypercube
- The Waterfall Illusion
- Musical Illusions and Paradoxes, by Diana Deutsch, University of California, San Diego. Some downloadable material and ordering information for a CD.
- You must be hearing things, from CBC Radio's Quirks and Quarks for Kids.
- Demonstrations in auditory perception, from McGill University
- Webvision, the neural organization of the vertebrate retina, by H. Kolb, E. Fernandez, R. Nelson.
SLEEP AND RELATED PHENOMENA
- Sleep and Memory: Evolutionary Perspectives, by J. Lee Kavanau, Dept. of Biology, UCLA
- Circadian Technologies, Inc., includes tutorials on circadian rhythms, sleep, alertness
- Memory Consolidation in REM sleep: Dream On, by Robert Vertes, Center for Complex Systems, Florida Atlantic University
- Sleep Research Society
- What is the minimal brain unit capable of sleep?", by Guili Tononi, The Neurosciences Institute, San Diego, California
- World Federation of Sleep Research Societies Newsletter
- Parasomnias - Arousal Disorders Information, from The Sleep Well, at Stanford University
- Introduction to Sleep and its Disorders, from the Circadian Learning Center at Circadian Technologies, Inc.(RM)
ONLINE INTERACTIVE DEMONSTRATIONS/EXHIBITS
Tutorials and Demonstrations, compiled/created by John Krantz,
Department of Psychology, Hanover College
laboratory for use with cognitive psychology courses ... cover many areas
of cognitive psychology ... also online versions of computer simulation
models", using Java applets, from Gregory Francis and others at Purdue
Perception Online Laboratory, by Gregory Francis, Department of
Psychology, Purdue University
LEGAL ISSUES AND IMPLICATIONS
- Understanding and Preventing Violence, Volume 2: Biobehavioral Influences, 1994, by the Panel on the Understanding and Control of Violent Behaviors of the National Research Council, from the National Academy Press, available on line.
- How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, 1999, by the Committee on Developments in the Science of Learning, National Research Council, from the National Academy Press, available on line.