Serendip is an independent site partnering with faculty at multiple colleges and universities around the world. Happy exploring!

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities

Remote Ready Biology Learning Activities has 50 remote-ready activities, which work for either your classroom or remote teaching.

Big Books 2006 Web Papers Forum

Comments are posted in the order in which they are received, with earlier postings appearing first below on this page. To see the latest postings, click on "Go to last comment" below.

Go to last comment

Cry Tom, Cry
Name: Chris Haag
Date: 2006-04-17 21:50:42
Link to this Comment: 19065

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

I am crying for you Tom. I am not crying because I am sad you are dead, or sad that you are gone. I am sad that you can't see the tears you should be crying. I am sad that you can't see them chains you remove are being replaced with others. Run Tom. It's not time to try and understand.
Last week, I learned that Charles had died. I had attended Quaker Meeting with him for eight years. He was always one of the older ones in the group. He was in the group that was a little old for me to be able to play with, or relate to, but still up for inclusion.
Most of the time I want to love Christ, I want to love God. I want to be able to open my heart to the light of Christ and realize through him all happiness is possible. I believe in Jesus commandment to love one another , I believe heaven exists not for the select, but in the hearts of all men . I believe in the Word and the word was god. I believe that, most of the time.
Charles was the liberal intellectual before we even knew what that meant. He was overly nice in a time when it was lame to be nice. He was anti-corporation when we all were demanding to go to MacDonald's. His maturity was far beyond ours, but saying that he couldn't quote lines from the Simpson's as easily as I could, I didn't think as much of him. Thinking back, he probably could, but just choose not to.
You say the lord han't forgotten you . You say god is everywhere . You say yes mas'r to a man who is the devil . You tell others that the lord will save you, but now you lay beaten and dead. Maybe if you suffer with him, you will also reign. But you won't understand that you throne is in front of you. Take the salvation of Eliza and George. They are together and happy. They had so much faith in their faith, that they knew when to violate it. Their betrayal set them free, but it was because they knew their betrayal was what god wanted of them. Your devotion is your exploitation.
After I went to High School my parents stopped making me go to meeting, and I stopped seeing Charles. I would occasionally see him at concerts, but nothing more than a few hellos. He was usually busy hanging out with a group of friends, and I would be waiting to get back to mine. Hearing he was going to Cornell was anything out of the ordinary. A lot of smart kids from my community end up going to good schools, and I had always thought he was real smart. I was happy for him less in that it was unexpected, but in the way that it you are pleased when your expectations line up with what you actually happens.
I can't look at you now Jesus. I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I ain't having my doubts. There is just too much now, too much to try and explain. No, I don't go to you for the easy of explanation. I turn to you because I love you and I know you. But now, I look at tears and suffering for no reason. I see lives destructing themselves and smiles fading like memories. There is no order to this chaos, there is no way to justify why some hurt has to be. The whip stings and doesn't make we want to open my arms. I am not running for good from you Jesus, I'll be back soon enough. I just can't stand to be with you right now.
The next time I saw him, it was like seeing a ghost. I had heard he was taking time off from school, but a lot of people take time off. At times during college I thought about coming back home for a while to re-center myself and come back to school with a new sense of direction. That wasn't why Charles came home. He had a darkness that was cast over him, with a glazed over look in his eye like he had looked over the edge and seen the dark hell that existed on the other side. The look on his face was not of a man that was seeking any re-direction, but only some air to breath.
I am not being whipped by no Simon Legree. My wife and children are not being sent to other slave owners to be raped and abused. I don't know that pain, your pain. How do you see your child be ripped from your arms, and be content to replace it with the idea of faith. Faith is allowing Simon to Kill you Tom. Your Faith won't end slavery. Your faith is allowing you to live in a world that is horrible. You are taking the Devil as your master as you believe the darkness we live in is light . Stop loving the Darkness tom.
I found out later from my father that Charles had become a Paranoid Schizophrenic. In High School he had been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder. I had not been made aware of this, partly because I did not see him very often, and partly because it was such a common thing. To put your worries in every person with bi-polar, you wouldn't have time for anything else. People can take their medication and appear perfectly normal. Hell, there are enough people with it that it becomes also normal to have it. Anyways, after leaving Durham, he went through a hard transition. I don't know if he got into hard drugs, or just the environmental change was too much for him, but his condition got worse. I don't know if the Schizophrenia had always been there, just looming in the corners of his mind, or if it came out of a hard intense experience. All I know is that when he came home, he was nothing like he had every been.
Tom, you never complain about how he treats you. I don't think you even understand your faith. Your faith should be able understanding your escape. God has parted the red sea for you, but you continue to wait for more signs. Quit your sin of negligence toward yourself. It is killing you. It is killing your children. It is killing me. Tom just get up and run.
I saw him the month before he decided to die. He was out eating with his parents, just like I was with mine. I learned latter that it was odd to see his parents out like this, saying that they had divorced a few years before. As I sat with my parents eating our barbeque sandwiches, talking about what the Duke backcourt needed to go to sure up their defense, I saw that Charles' parents were talking with one another as well. They were laughing about some issues, probably discussing how tough work had been that month, thinking of what might happen once the weather was going to get better. Charles didn't say anything. He sat there eating and staring. He had headphones on, but I don't even know if he was listening to anything. On his end of the table, he existed in a totally different world than the one his parents existed in. I think neither world was really aware of the other, or the ability to interact with one another. I don't think it was out of negligence or lack of trying. I think it had come to a point when it just got to be too hard.
Peter denied you Christ for a reason. You knew he would deny you. He didn't deny you because he hated you, he denied you because he loved you. The only way he could keep loving you was to try and forget this moment. Seeing you suffer on the Cross is too much for anyone to deal with. We have to deny some moments in time so that we can go on believing that the world is a place with so much beauty. Some moments are too horrible, to powerful for us to be able to conquer with an idea like faith. You knew, you understood. That's why you forgave him, and that is why you die alone for us.

I was at work when I heard about his death. Before I even looked at the email, I knew what it was about. No subject line with his name in it could be anything positive. I found out later that he had tried a couple times before, and that this time, he went missing on Duke's Campus for a few days. His medication made him very depressed and so sedated that he was completely unable to function in daily life. He need others to help him with basic tasks and normal functioning. While he was a rational thinking person, he was a shell of his previous self. However, when he stopped taking the medicine, the depression lingered, and he no longer was a rational person. He was not mental able to distinguish between life and death, and found the most sense in trying to commit suicide.
Don't try and tell us that this is any different, Jesus. Tom is carrying your cross, taking your lashes. You know he don't deserve that. No man deserves that. You can have the world spit in your face and take it as your baptism. But that's cause you ain't no man. Tom isn't suppose to be you Jesus. Golgotha isn't shaking with his death, the curtain ain't ripped. Please Jesus, tell him he is free. Tell him he can curse your name and cry. That what he needs now Jesus. He needs it, because he loves you.
At the Memorial Service, my father found that Charles had overdosed on drugs, and died in the midst of trying to burry himself. Ironically, it was a failed attempt at what he had been trying to go for the past four years. People could only remember the past few years of Charles' life. But it wasn't Charles' life they were remembering, it was all of the people who had been hurt along the way, all of the sadness the community had experienced as a result of this horrible disease. People wanted this over, wanted this to not have happened. It also seemed as if the earlier memories of his achievements only made this experience harder. There was no celebration of a person's life at this moment. Only a sad and realized sigh of relief.
Tom, yous a free now. Take Cassy hand and run. Just run. Before you go, cry a little. You gotta cry because God done you wrong. But don't cry cause you hate him, cry cause you love. You will reign someday, you just need to know what reignin' look like.

Children as Teachers: the possibility of a new soc
Name: Erin Bagus
Date: 2006-04-18 21:46:12
Link to this Comment: 19088

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

In my examination of Uncle Tom's Cabin I concluded that our hope for social change in the future lay in teaching our children to live differently, to have a different morality and social order. After reading Adventures of Huck Finn, however, it occurs to me that perhaps a better future rests not in our teaching our children anything, but in allowing them to teach us – or better still, in a reciprocal interaction. In Twain's classic, we are presented with two very different boys - Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer - who may be seen to represent two aspects of childhood. In their interaction, we find the possibilities and limits of letting our children devise a new social order.

Huck – abandoned and adopted repeatedly – has never had anyone to really teach him the morality and social order of his community; what he has learned, he has discovered mostly on his own. Lacking anyone to explain to him the reasoning behind what he experiences or hears, he makes up his own story or, when he can't do that, dismisses it or pretends he never encountered it. When one of his temporary guardians, Miss Watson, tries to explain an aspect of society, namely religion, she speaks to him in a metaphorical language he cannot understand. Thus, Huck still ends up making his own story in the end, which is more literal and makes sense to him. For example, Huck narrates, "Miss Watson...told me to pray everyday, and whatever I asked for I would get it. But it warn't so. I tried it. Once I got a fish-line, but no hooks. It warn't no good to me without hooks. I tried for the hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn't make it work" (23). When he finally asks her why it isn't working for him, she tells him he's a "fool" because he didn't understood that she meant he might receive "spiritual gifts" not material things. The thought, however, still remains unclear for Huck. He says, "I couldn't make it out no way" (23).

Tom, on the other hand, has a family who has socialized him and answered all the why-questions that Huck is left to answer by himself. In Huck Finn, we don't really meet Tom's nuclear family, but we do spend the final section of the book with his extended family, who function in the same way as parents might, while allowing the boys' trick to work since – as far away relatives – they don't know what they should look like. Tom's family has taught him how he is supposed to interact with certain people and how he is supposed to feel about certain issues, therefore, he always seems to know more than Huck, that is, to be better informed. Even in the end, we discover that Tom has known all along that Jim was already free – a small bit of information that makes all the difference between playing games with and helping to save a man's life.

The task of setting Jim free in the final section of the book brings the contrast between Huck and Tom into clarity. Tom views the project as a game, which serves only to entertain him. At one point he declares that "it was the best fun he ever had in his life, and the most intellectural; ...if he only could see his way to it we would keep it up all the rest of our lives and leave Jim to our children to get out" (256). He has lost sight of Jim's humanity in the process of amusing himself, to the point that Jim has become – even worse than the property he was as a slave – nothing more than a plaything, a great toy that Tom hopes to leave to his own children. Were we to put Tom in charge of designing a new social order, perhaps we would have no more slavery in the old sense, but would the new form of it be even more terrible? I think, however, that it is important to consider the fact that Tom had in fact been greatly socialized when he came up with this free-Jim game. He is not really coming up with something new because he still sees Jim as a slave, not really human in the same way that he himself is. Tom is simply being a little boy and playing make-believe with his slave to set him free, but one could easily imagine an adult who shows as much lack of regard for another human as Tom demonstrates, owning and roughly treating slaves. In this way, I don't see him as really illustrating the creative novelty with which a child's mind might formulate a new social order. He's too far gone, too educated. Huck, on the other hand, offers some real possibilities.

We, the readers, often find Huck considering the societal morality or opinion, which he has been half-taught, and in the end deciding that, for lack of a clearer solution, he is going to rely on himself and what feels right to him or comes easiest. When considering whether or not to give Jim up, he thinks to himself:

s'pose you'd a done right and give Jim up; would you felt better that what you do now? No, says I, I'd feel bad – I'd feel just the same way I do now. Well, then, says I, what's the use of learning to do right, when it's troublesome to do right and ain't no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same? ...So I reckoned I wouldn't bother no more about it, but after this always do whichever come handiest at the time. (113)

Huck cannot reason through why he should give up Jim because he doesn't understand society's rationality of slavery. In his own solitary experiences with Jim, outside society, Tom doesn't even seem to notice his race, and even appears to see Jim as a father figure or caretaker.

Later, during another internal struggle Huck is feeling between what he knows he's supposed to do with Jim, that is turn him in, and what he feels is right. He says, "I couldn't seem to strike no places to harden me against him, but only the other kind...he would always call me honey, and pet me, and do everything he could think of for me" (223). Huck's interaction with Jim and his ability to see him as a real person as well as his desire to save Jim not just for amusement's sake, but for the fact that he is human and deserves freedom, make me believe that a child like Huck could teach us adults a new way of seeing the world. He is courageous enough to let go of the morality - "moral or no moral; and as for me, I don't care shucks for the morality of it" (254) – and just do what he thinks right, no matter the consequences. He even accepts the possibility that he might be wrong, declaring, "All right, then, I'll go to hell" (223).

One issue, however, that we must deal with is the fact that Huck goes along with Tom throughout the whole ordeal of "creating difficulties" to make Jim's escape more like those Tom's read about in books. If Huck is the aspect of childhood, which might provide us with something new, he is also that part of us that doesn't dare act out, that goes along with the group even when we think it wrong or unjust. He tells Tom, "All right – I don't care where he comes out, so he comes out; and Jim don't either, I reckon" (251). Huck gives in to the ridiculous antics that Tom wants Jim to perform instead of standing up for and protecting him. I have been trying to figure out why he does that because he seems like such a creative, resourceful child; I would be more likely to guess that he might stand up for himself and what he thinks.

It occurs to me though, that Tom and Huck are each trying to place themselves in the other's situation. That is, that Tom is trying to be wild and free – without the restraints of society or family, like Huck – while Huck wants to be more logical and restrained – to fit into the society and family world of which he is not naturally a part. At the end of the book, Huck says, "But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it" (296). I would argue that it is not that Huck doesn't want to be "civilized" and become part of a family group, but rather that he doesn't know how and, unable to figure it out, he chooses to remain in the world he knows – the wilds, nature. Huck seems to envy his friend because he has been taught how to play his part in the group, because he knows the rules and how he is supposed to act.

Where does that leave us then in terms of whether or not our children can teach us how to live differently? It seems to me that Huck and Tom show us the possibility for creative thought that children have. Based solely on their own experiences of it, they see the world very differently than adults do. Sometimes, however, without instruction otherwise they can be too self-absorbed and disregard the well being of others – like Tom does when designing his game to "free Jim." Everyone for himself certainly will not work as a societal order because it would result in total chaos. Also, with Huck, we see that children seem to crave some direction about how they are supposed to fit into the world. If it might be possible to somehow allow more of a reciprocal relationship between the children's creative imagination and the adult's mature, experienced guidance, maybe we could arrive at a middle path. Can we somehow learn to let our children teach us, while we also help them to shape and grow their new ideas?

What Was I Thinking?
Name: Angeldeep
Date: 2006-04-24 13:46:58
Link to this Comment: 19134

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

You don't know about me, without you having read a book written by Mark Twain by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and my own book "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." It's been years since we last met. I never thought we would be meeting this way again, but here it is once more. Now Mr. Twain, he's long gone, but that ain't no matter, because I took the trouble to make a book myself before and here I am writing once more. What can I say, there are some matters I just can't hold my tongue about any longer. The widow had learned me to read and write all those years ago, and so I am to use that again. Now the way the last book winds up is this: Tom got shot when he tried to escape with Jim to set him free. Then it all came out that Miss Watson had died two months before and left Jim a free man. Tom said he was just playing something on him and would have paid him for his trouble when they'd gotten free. Well Tom was okay after that. Jim told me that Pap had been the man we'd found dead in the house. All sorted out, Aunt Sally said she'd adopt me and sivilize me. But I had had enough of that, so I reckoned I would set out west instead.

Now I have read a bit since we last met, I read quite a bit in fact. I read all those books that Tom used to tell us of, with stories of robbers and kidnappers and then some others. After all these years I even read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" again for I was reading it to my son, so I could have him learned as I was. See, I changed some of my ways after all. I took to Aunt Sally's house after I was out for the Territory for a while. I began to stand the sivilized life and got used to it and settled down. So when my son was born, I let him play but tried to give him some sivilizaition too, at least enough to be a man who could read and write, and still keep cheerful.

Well, why I am writing again you ask? Why it's to make clear some of the things that were put in the last book is why. Or to share some of my thoughts actually. Now when I was reading my book to Huck Jr., I was right surprised by so many things that I wrote about and can't imagine why I thought them then. I will start from the start of the book. Now first you met me, I was living with the widow and sneaking out to get away from the sivilized world she was putting me in, trying to learn me so many things I didn't care about. I remember the time I stole away to meet Tom Sawyer and some of the other boys to form a band of robbers. We were so excited and darn sure that we could do all those things that Tom had read in the books and told us about. Now, I've read and lived a lot since that day and I can tell you, life ain't like the books. Everything doesn't work out with lots of adventure and still come to a happy ending. I read now the talk we had about robbing people and maybe even ransoming some people. I've found out now what ransoming really is, so when Huck Jr. asked me to explain, I could tell him it's to hold people for money, till someone pays for them to take them away. Now, back then we blindly followed Tom's every idea, even though we didn't really understand any one thing he was talking about. That wasn't never the right thing to do, and yet we played along with Tom and did what he said. Why sometimes his crazy ideas about the books was darn hurtful and I've learned since that its no way to live life, especially when you is all grown up. Now as it seems to me, books are meant to be a way to read about things you haven't done in your life, and sometimes you should be out there living your life instead of reading them books and trying to get something from them to fill you life up. But still they aren't written so we as boys can go out and rob and kill innocent people. That just ain't right, and that's not what them books is for at all. But Tom Sawyer would never see that.

Now Tom is another thing I need to be explaining. When I was a boy, Tom was but the best playmate to have. He was always looking to play something, do something adventurous and he would also get away with most all he did. I had always wanted to be quite like him in his playing ways, and all through my tale of my adventures, whenever I'd play something, I would pat myself on the back when I could say 'Why Tom Sawyer couldn't have done it better.' He was always best at the schemes that got us into so many scrapes and out of them too. Now don't get me wrong, the ways he taught me about being creative with the stories I can tell saved me many a time during my adventures, and it saved Jim too when those people almost caught us on the raft the one time. But, like I just said before, the thing with Tom Sawyer is that he ain't got no idea of where life stopped being like all those adventure books he kept reading. And that was part of the problem of growing up with Tom Sawyer around, for mostly Tom just didn't grow up.

Now Huck Jr. thought Tom was a right amazing man and wondered why he didn't come by more often. I had to explain to Huck Jr. how sometimes Tom Sawyer neglected to think about others and did them harm though his heart is not bad at all. Tom had a talent with words, why, he would tell me of all these plans and I would most always go along with him, because he'd always say that it would all turn out to be fine in the end. But now I wonder how I could go along with everything that Tom said when we were boys. Take the time, in the end of the book, when Tom was to help Jim escape so he could finally be a free man. I went along with his plans because Jim had been a darn good man while we were on the raft together, floating along and away to our freedom. I wanted to help poor ol' Jim to be free just as much Jim did himself. But in the scramble to run away, Tom got shot and Jim was captured again. It was only then that Tom came out with it and told us all that Miss Watson had died and left Jim a free man two whole months ago. All he was doing when planning the escape was looking to have another one of his book adventures, with guard dogs stopping his way and lots of other obstacles between him and Jim getting to freedom. I read those adventures now and ask myself, what I was thinking wanting to be like this boy who only thought of his amusement and played with poor Jim's life while doing it. Sure, you say that everything did turn out okay, but what if it hadn't and poor Jim had been hurt or killed in Tom's games? See, nothing good comes of those books if all you do is read them and think them to be what your life should be like. Silly Tom, I only hope that he would learn from his silliness and grow up after all, at least enough to stop playing tricks on everyone. I would not let Huck Jr. go play with a Tom Jr. if it meant more playing for no reason but the play.

What I wanted to say here was that I was but a boy who didn't know much better than to just play along with Tom. When I was by myself, I would think better of things. Why, I even tried to help those murders on the shipwreck, for who knows that might have been me on another day, and they didn't do nothing to me, so why should I have been hurting them? Tom would have left them just to play and that isn't right, and I wanted to have Huck Jr. and all other children to see that.

It wasn't just in Tom's ways that I was a boy who didn't see everything quite right. Jim was another man that I didn't see quite as he really was. Because of the widow and others who learned me to think what I did, I always thought Jim to be a simple man. Part of that was also probably that I was a boy and didn't quite understand all things in the world around me. All through our trips together I saw that Jim knew the things that were right from wrong. He also was wise and good hearted, and surprised me every time when I saw just how good a man he was. And yet, right at the beginning of the book, when Tom came to visit the widow's house to get me, and decided to play something on Jim, I believed that Jim really thought that witches flew him around and left him there. I known Jim a long time since, and I know that he might not know about everything, but he is not a stupid man as Tom took him to be. When I was reading this to Huck Jr. he was delighted that we fooled Jim so, but it got me thinking, had we really fooled Jim, or had Jim fooled us all along? Hadn't he been the one who got a big name and glory from the story, who told it anew every time he told it, saying the witches took him further and further away? Why, people came from all over just to look at him, and respected him so, and yet we thought of him just as a silly old man we'd fooled? I don't think that I was thinking all that straight then, or he just had us boys fooled quite well. Shows that there are things that a boy would miss but a man probably wouldn't.

All said and done, there aren't many things I did as a boy that most any boy wouldn't do. When I last wrote I was young and wrote only of what I saw and understood to be happening around me. But time has learned me that I saw many a thing wrong, so here I am, writing one more time, to set them straight. I'm rotten glad its done once and for all, I don't think I'm going to be writing again. Too much trouble.

Works Cited:
Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Ed. Thomas Cooley. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1998.

The Adventure of Childhood: Reexamining Huckleberr
Name: Margaret M
Date: 2006-04-27 09:02:21
Link to this Comment: 19158

<mytitle> Big Books Home
2006 Fifth Web Report
On Serendip

I have chosen to write a course description for The Adventure of Childhood: Reexamining Huckleberry Finn!, a college or continuing education course for students who want to reexamine the familiar novel through the lens of family and childhood. It is conceptualized as a cross listed course in Psychology, English, and Education; Psychology because it deals with the concepts of disorders and attachment theory, English because it reexamines the text of Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and Education because it helps students understand how the same text can be read and taught in different ways.

Welcome to The Adventure of Childhood: Reexamining Huckleberry Finn!

"I've been there before." An Introduction to the Course.

Many of you may have read the novel in previous classes in which the focus was on the issues of freedom, slavery, and race. In this course we will be examining Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn through the lens of family and childhood. We will be using psychological theory and history to examine the novel. Three units will cover the topics of the history of childhood, psychological disorders, and attachment theory. The course work consists of two papers and a group project. In addition, students will be required to find at least one outside resource and present it to the class. Students will be assigned days to present during the first week of class. The course work was created to help students explore and examine Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It will require students to leave their comfort zones and reexamine the familiar text. Students who show they are willing to try and remain open minded will do better in this class.

Before we begin to discuss the novel, we will have a discussion about the issue of race. The novel contains a word that some students may feel uncomfortable using. On the second day of class we will be taking an anonymous vote regarding the class use of the word. If one person votes "no" we will not be saying the word out loud. We will then discuss as a class how we would like to deal with the word when we come across it in our discussions. Over the course of several years, classes have chosen to say the word, replace the word with another word, or take a pause. This is not a course regarding the issue of race, but we will be spending the second day of class talking about the issue of race in the novel. We are doing this because it is an important issue in the novel and so that people who feel the need to voice their opinion about the use of race in the novel have an opportunity to do so. After this second day, class time will be devoted to examining the novel through the lens of childhood and family.

Unit One: Childhood: Now and Then

The first unit will enable the students to understand the historical context of the novel and will encourage students to begin to think about the similarities and differences between childhood then and today. The unit is titled "Childhood: Now and Then." At the beginning of the unit, students will be given time in class to write about and share one of their favorite childhood moments. During this unit students will be required to bring in outside resources they find interesting concerning the historical context of the novel. This unit is flexible due to the fact that different students have different interests. Some years, the class has chosen to focus on the different roles of women in childrearing, while others have focused on the role of religion in raising a child. There are many interesting topics to discuss in this unit and our discussion will be as good as the articles that students bring in. For those of you who are unsure in what you may be interested, we will be brainstorming a list during the first day of this unit and you can always come and talk to me if you are completely stumped. The goal of this unit is to learn about the ways in which childhood has changed over time.

At the end of this unit, students will write a paper relating childhood then and now. The paper consists of two parts. For the first part, students have two options. They may rewrite one of the scenes from the novel as though it was occurring today or they may rewrite their favorite childhood memory as though it were occurring in the era of Huck Finn. These scenes should not exceed 5 pages in length and you must attach a copy of what you are rewriting (the original scene in the book or a copy of your favorite childhood memory exercise from the beginning of the unit). For the second part of the paper, students will compare their rewrite to the original scene. They should focus on the differences and similarities between the two time periods in which the same event is taking place. Good papers will explain what the students chose to change/keep the same specific aspect of the event. Great papers will take this a step further and explain why they made these decisions in regards to historical context. The goal of this paper is to encourage students to more fully understand the differences between childhood today and childhood in the era of Huck Finn.

Unit Two: ADHD and CD

The second unit will focus on the concepts of disorders. We will be specifically looking at ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder) and CD (conduct disorder). Many people believe that the character of Huck Finn has ADHD and/or CD. In this unit students will learn about these disorders and the concept of disorders in general. To begin this unit, students will be reading Richters and Cicchetti's article "Mark Twain meets DSM-III-R: Conduct disorder, development, and the concept of harmful dysfunction." This article will be the basis of this unit. We will be discussing and brainstorming about what we think a disorder is. Students will be encouraged to come up with examples of behavior that could be interpreted as a disorder in one society, but not in another. The article also deals with the issue of context. It proposes that we should look at the context of not only society, but of the person. We will discuss Huck's personal as well as social context and examine whether he has a disorder. During this unit, a clinical psychologist will be coming to talk to the class. He or she will be explaining how they make diagnoses, (what a person with ADHD and CD looks like) and will be discussing the issue of disorder with the class. Over the years, students have said this was perhaps the most interesting day of class, so please try not to miss it!

At the end of this unit, students will write a 5-page paper. For this paper, students will argue whether they believe Huck Finn has a disorder. They will need to explain which disorder(s) he has/doesn't have and prove their diagnoses using the text. Please note that there is no right or wrong answer. The goal of this paper is for students to examine the issue of disorders, contexts, and apply what they have learned to the novel.

Unit Three: Attachment Theory

The third and final unit deals with attachment theory. Attachment theory is a theory about the different ways that children form attachments with their parents. We will be discussing four different styles of attachment. The first is secure attachment. This is the ideal attachment style. A child who has a secure attachment to their mother will happily explore when the mother is present, be upset when the mother leaves, and happy when she returns. The second style we will cover is anxious-ambivalent insecure attachment. A child with this style of attachment is anxious when exploring when the mother is present, be extremely upset when the mother returns, and resistant and resentful when the mother returns. We will also be talking about the anxious-avoidant insecure attachment style. A child with anxious-avoidant insecure attachment style will not explore much and will show little emotion when the mother leaves or returns. The last attachment style we will be covering is the disorganized attachment style. This is not so much a style as it is a lack of a cohesive style.

At the end of this unit, students will be using the attachment styles to reexamine the novel in a group project. Students will be divided into four groups. Each group will be assigned to present on a different attachment style. The project consists of a paper and a brief presentation. The paper has three parts. For the first part they must write a brief 1-2 page introduction about their assigned attachment style. These should include background information about Attachment Theory, information about their specific attachment style, and what a child who has that attachment style looks like. For this part, students must cite two outside resources and one of them must be a research article (We will be going over how to find research articles in class). For the second part of the paper, students will chose a scene between Jim and Huck from the novel and reexamine it with regards to their specific assigned attachment style. In other words, they will interpret the scene as though Huck and Jim had their specific attachment style. This part of the paper should be between 4-6 pages long. For the last part of the paper, the students will examine the novel as a whole through the lens of their assigned attachment style. They will need to reflect on how the meaning of the novel changes when they examine it through their attachment style. This should be between 5-7 pages long. The students will also make a 15 minute presentation on the last day of class in which students will teach the class to look at the novel as though Jim and Huck shared their specific attachment style. The goal of the group project is to gain a greater understanding of attachment theory, a specific attachment style, and how the same novel can be interpreted differently through different lenses.

At the end of the group project, students will be asked to write an informal reflection 1-2 page paper about how their experience working in a group relates to the concepts of groups presented in the novel. These reflections should not refer to group members by name and are not a place to voice opinions about specific members of your group. The reflection is meant to help the students recognize how groups behave and how they themselves behave in a group. Good reflections will be ones that examine both the positives and negatives to group and personal behavior.

"The End, Yours Truly Huck Finn."

I hope that at the end of the course we can all, me included, say that we have learned something from each other. I also hope that you will have all gained a new perspective of Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and of family and childhood.

Numbers Not Part Of The Answer
Name: Catherine
Date: 2006-04-28 00:10:43
Link to this Comment: 19171

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

Ah, yes... let's see... time for a new professor... who will it be? O, Professor Twain. Is he that Professor Clemens that everyone speaks of? The ambiguous writer that walks a fine line between humor and morality? Immediately, my mind goes into analytical mode. No respectable American fiction writer of even The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn writes without a motive, some type of overall message to reach out to the reader, even if it takes excessive digging to reach it. I know it's there! What is this rubbish: "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished..." (Twain "Notice")! So am I supposed to laugh? Or should I be myself and assume that Professor Twain is a liar and find a moral out of spite? No Catherine! Compose yourself. You're thinking too much. Remember that literature you read on analyzing being on the borderline of obsession? Even you chuckle when you look up at the clock and don't see 3:21 but 7. Am I unnecessarily applying my math mind to matters that yes, probably can be applied in the context of mathematics but more importantly, shouldn't be? Yes, on every page in Huck Finn I saw my usual matrix... a comforting sight. But this time, something's wrong.

My matrix isn't the same. It's...it's... broken. The numbers aren't in vertical columns winking at me but they're slanted and misshapen. There are all these gaps in the sequence that reveal something underneath them... they look like... words; printed words on a page. This image is new, slightly disturbing, yet not unexpected. My matrix should be broken, not entirely, but slightly damaged. It may seem possible to apply Hess's Law or Gram-Schmidt's process to situations in novels but I'm missing an essential part of the reading process, finding myself in the pages. My mind just tries so hard to find more dimensions in novels than were intentioned, dimensions that cross into the x and y axis planes. Maybe I should focus on putting myself into the plane of the pages instead? I had this debate with myself while I was in the process of reading Huck Finn. I found that the concepts and situations in which Huck as well as the other characters find themselves are familiar to me... I've encountered them in a linear algebra and chemistry classroom. This time I didn't put Huck or Jim in a seat in front of Professor Kasius, I put myself on the raft... with my textbook of course... I just can't forget that. I found my experiences within the pages, I started the problem along with Huck but my solutions did not concur.

From the very first page Huck wades his feet in the murky water, I knew the Mississippi River and myself, with a plethora of mathematical experience, had much in common. That river where "you could see a streak on the water which you know by the look of the streak that there's a snag there in a swift current which breaks on it" (135), is meant to symbolize Huck and Jim's freedom and adventure into known but unknown territory. Despite this liberating notion, the pair of troublemakers is not entirely free from the evils and societal influences that lie along the river banks. The real world intrudes onto the raft; the river floods, Huck and Jim are separated at points in the narrative and they are in contact with criminals who they cannot just let be but have to "hunt up their boat and set her drifting down the river so these fellows can't get away from the wreck" (80). It was only after I finished the novel that I realized, I was traveling down my own Mississippi. I started on calm waters, taking Sequential I math and not receiving anything less than 100% on every test. Everyone thinks the waters will be steady until you hit a place where the water velocity increases and leads to the waterfall. My waterfall (which can be named Ms. Kalinowska) happened first semester of my freshman year in high school, sequential II math. After "plummeting" grades, I reached a steady point where I mastered the material and waded through the waters. Of course, at times, I used the quadratic formula and made a mess of a sheet of paper when I should have realized that x represented an insignificant number and disregarded it... here we go again. However, the Mississippi always fit into my arithmetical microcosm; I didn't have to make it fit.

I was introduced to Huckleberry Finn at the age of sixteen and made him a close companion. Why wouldn't I want a best friend that had been to places I had only seen in "National Geographic"? The only difference between Huck and myself was the fact that "nigger" never had and would never be in my vocabulary. But I've grown up... Huck towards the end of the novel becomes Tom Sawyer, his mind-blowing best friend. Huck does not correct Aunt Sally when she calls him Tom Sawyer in fact he "told them more about [his] family- [he] mean[t] the Sawyer family-than ever happened to any six Sawyer families... Being Tom Sawyer was easy and comfortable" (233). For that span of time he was under Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas' eye, Huck took on Tom's mastermind and above all, his reputation. Just two weeks ago I attended a linear algebra problem session and found myself in a similar situation. A young woman walked into the room, took a seat beside me, and told me she needed assistance with her homework. She elaborated about her struggles with the first three questions... wait... those first three... the ones that I found the easiest? Well, she had missed the last two classes and didn't know that the class was given a sheet that explained how to find orthonormal bases for different sized spanning sets. I subsequently proceeded to explain the solutions to the first questions feeling just like Huck. I pretended to be a master of bases when I was really just a follower... a follower of the rexo. I didn't correct the woman when she said I was smart enough to understand the minute I'm taught. I basked in the glory... then the glow faded from my cheeks. I swallowed my pride and showed her the sheet... she was grateful but I turned red. That's where Huck Finn diverges from my path. Huck never stops being Tom Sawyer. He may tell everyone else his real name is Huck but inside he is Tom, living that lie. I was shocked when Tom explains his elaborate plan to free Jim, "He can have a rope ladder; we can tear up our sheets and make him a rope ladder easy enough. And we can send it to him in a pie" (247). Huck replies, "Tom Sawyer- if we go tearing up our sheets to make Jim a rope ladder, we're going to get into trouble with Aunt Sally, just as sure as you're born" (248). Yes Huck, reject complication and confusion like me... wait... "Well, all right, Tom, fix it your own way" (248). No! I need you to make your own choice Huck. Please, don't let me be ashamed of you, I made you my literary best friend. Those words of Huck I can't process algebraically... it's not a question I would even attempt to solve.

I was at the point in the novel when, like an analytical conundrum, I look for a drastic change, specifically I look for a metamorphosis in Huck's attitude towards Jim. When will he stop playing Tom's game and realize Jim is a person, with the word "black" in front of "person" unnecessary. As the reader I was accustomed to Huck's ambiguity towards Jim half-way through the novel when he discusses his letter to Miss Watson about his raft companion, "I was stealing a poor old woman's nigger that hadn't ever done me no harm, and now was showing me there's One that's always on the lookout and ain't agoing to allow no such miserable doings to go only just so fur and no further, I most dropped in my tracks I was so scared" (222). However, I am at the third to last page and Tom has just revealed he knew all along Jim was free. Huck's response: "Tom Sawyer had gone and took all the trouble and bother to set a free nigger free! And I couldn't even understand, before, until that minute and that talk, how he could help a body set a nigger free with his bringing-up" (292). Did I miss something? Huck, at this stage, is still using the word "nigger"? Say something! Come to a realization! Think back to everything Jim has done for you, are you still going to use that word and not chastise Tom at all? Whenever I reach a conclusion to a problem that has no solution the first thing I do is reevaluate my work to find where I went wrong. Sometimes there is no mistake and I must research further but I always reevaluate the previous steps. With Huck there was no self-reflection, no lesson learned, no further contemplating. Again, I am left with a similar problem with a different elucidation.

As a reader of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I've been taken on an exciting journey. Like another author I have had the privilege of being familiar with, Twain does leave questions unanswered. Should I take this text seriously? Or is this the ultimate joke for all those writers who attempt to tell rich, lesson-filled stories? My instinct tells me that Twain may have had both in mind but that question is an area that is off-limits for my math mind to solve. Hess's Law will not fit, Gram-Schmidt's process cannot be applied. Numbers can only go so far in crossing the uncrossed "t"s in a text but they can help to relate better to the characters and the situations in which they are interred. I know "what counts."

The Great Escape: Huck Finn's Escape From Social C
Name: Catherine
Date: 2006-04-29 10:34:40
Link to this Comment: 19183

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

On a basic level The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn describes the story of a young boy, Huck Finn, and an escaped slave, Jim, traveling down the Mississippi River together. As the story progresses and the characters develop, Huck builds a friendship with Jim and is forced to reevaluate how he perceives slavery. Despite several opportunities, Huck never turns Jim in. The issue of freedom is obviously a central theme in the novel. Throughout the story the author, Mark Twain, creates a social critique by juxtaposing the idea of freedom against slavery, civilization and other social norms. The reader understands that it is not only Jim who is looking for freedom, but Huck as well. While Huck is not a slave, he still feels trapped by the restrictions society has placed upon him. The entire novel reveals Huck's resistance to conformity in a culture filled with hypocrisies. There are several characters that pose a threat to Huck's freedom, his father, the Grangerfords, the Duke and the King. Although the female characters in the novel have relatively short roles they are nonetheless important to the understanding of freedom.

Often the women Huck and Jim encounter, especially the Widow Douglas, Miss Watson, Aunt Polly and Aunt Sally, are the embodiment of the very restrictions the two are trying to escape. For Huck the women represent the shackles of society he is fleeing and they place his freedom in jeopardy. In this paper I will attempt to examine the connection between the woman in the novel and freedom. Huck's resistance to the conformity even his friend, Tom Sawyer, has little problems with could be viewed as reckless. Considering it through the lens of Ralph Waldo Emerson, however, Huck's actions seem rational and essential.

Although they only appear in the first few chapters of the novel, the Widow Douglas and Miss Watson are extremely central to the story. Perhaps more so than any other character in the book they represent civilization and attempt to conform Huck into a socially acceptable individual. Throughout the rest of the book, Huck considers the Widow and Miss Watson in his important decisions in order to determine what his moral course of action should be. Huck moved in with the two women after he and his best friend, Tom Sawyer found treasure hidden by robbers. The transition was difficult for Huck; his father was a drunk who preferred for Huck to act uncivilized. Suddenly Huck was forced to follow rules that made no sense. Even the differences between right and wrong seem startling to him. Miss Wilson tells Huck he must behave if he wants to get into heaven, but from her descriptions it sounds like a place he probably doesn't want to end up anyway. What the two women see as deviant behavior he sees as ordinary and harmless.

It is clear that Huck does not think highly of the civilization and views it only as a pointless exercise and a form of entrapment. He can't stand being confined in house and wearing starchy clothes. His life at the Widow's is constantly full of little rebellions; he leaves in the middle of the night, plays hooky and smokes his pipe. Later, after his father kidnaps him, Huck begins to realize how much he hates being civilized. He states, " I didn't see how I'd ever got to like it so well at the widow's, where you had to wash, and eat on a plate, and comb up, and go to bed and get up regular, and be forever bothering over a book and have old Miss Watson peeking at you all the time" (Twain, p.37). Huck's concept of civilization is an interesting one. His descriptions highlight the fact that the rules we follow to conform to society are flawed and, at times, absurd. Where is the sense in being forbidden from smoking a pipe while the Widow has a snuffbox? How can civilization frown upon Huck's cussing and allow for his father to beat him with little intervention from the law? Emerson reflects Huck's idea when he states, "if I am the Devil's child I will live with the devil... Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this" (Emerson, p.3). When Huck flees his father's cabin, he is not only escaping a dangerous situation he is gaining his freedom.

This freedom, however, is constantly under threat. In order for Huck to escape the civilized life everyone must think he is dead. It is significant that it is a woman who first endangers his newfound independence. Bored one day Huck decides he wants information on what is happening in his town so he visits Mrs. Judith Loftus, pretending to be a girl. Without much difficulty she is able to see threw his ruse and reveals that a band of men were going to head over to the very island Huck and Jim were staying to look for the runaway slave. Huck realizes all his efforts to leave his past behind might be lost. In a panic he goes back to the island and gets Jim, and takes off running. Huck could have gotten away without Jim and, judging by his resourcefulness throughout the book, survived without him. Yet, without a thought of the consequences helps a runaway slave escape.

Huck's actions symbolize the rejection of the collective values and norms women like Miss Watson and the Widow symbolize. He is well aware society will perceive him as a reckless renegade and spurn him. When discussing the problem with his best friend Tom Sawyer, he states, "I know what you'll say. You'll say it is a dirty low down business; but what if it is? –I'm low down" (Twain, p.255). It is interesting that Huck's greatest moments of guilt occur when he is thinking about the Widow and Miss Watson precisely because aiding Jim goes against all the civilized laws they tried to instill in him. When Jim and Huck thought they were within sight of Cairo the full ramifications of his actions hit him. Jim is his friend but is really willing to help set him free? Huck tries to use the thought of Miss Watson to figure out what he should do, should he hurt her by helping Jim get free or betray proper social norms (Twain, p.107).

It is clear at this point that Huck is not yet fully liberated from civilization. He states his dilemma was that as long as he could hide his role in the escape from Miss Watson he won't be in disgrace. He doesn't want to injure Miss Watson but nor can he fully conform to the beliefs she represents. As long as he continues to figure the reaction of women like Miss Watson and the Widow in his actions he is still imprisoned by their civilization. After much inner turmoil, Huck decides to do what feels right to him, to do what will give him the most peace. In many ways this appears to be what Emerson is advocating, "If I am the Devil's child, I will then live from the devil. No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this: the only right is what is after my constitution: the only wrong what is against it" (Emerson, p.3).

The issue comes to a head when he must decide is he will steal Jim from slavery again. The importance of his decision is reflected in Huck's bemusement at Tom's quick acquiescence to steal Jim out of slavery-again, "Here was a boy that was respectable, and was well brung up; and had a character to lose; and folks at home who had characters...and yet here he was, without more pride, or rightness, or feeling than to stoop to this business" (Twain, p.263-264). From what he has understood from Miss Watson he recognizes it will mean the difference between going to heaven or hell. It will forever solidify his place in society. In the end he chooses to reject civilization, this time for good, "never thought no more of reforming. I shoved the whole idea from my head; and said I would take up wickedness again, which was my line, and the other warn't" (Twain, p.242). This speech is important because it highlights Huck's ultimate freedom. His struggle over conscience for Jim was the last tie he had with his previous life, the morals the women tried to instill in him. While society might indeed view Huck as a rebel, Emerson might argue that his actions were actually necessary. In his piece, Self-Reliance, Emerson argues, "Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members. Society is a joint stock company, in which the members agree... to surrender the liberty and culture" (Emerson, p.3). One might argue that since Tom was willing to help Huck he was also rejecting society's value. However, since Tom knew beforehand that Jim was already free, this does not seem likely. From this point on, Huck does not care how anyone else will perceive him. He is no longer confined by the rules that govern everyone else.

At the end of the novel Huck is once again given the opportunity to reenter society. Again women, Aunt Polly and Aunt Sally, represent the choice between a civilized life and freedom. Aunt Polly has curtailed his freedom by informing Sally that he is really Huck Finn and not Tom Sawyer. Sally plans to eliminate his freedom all together with her threats to adopt Huck. Again, Huck decides he wants his freedom, "Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it" (Twain, p.328). So instead he decides to go on another adventure with Tom, this time to the Indian Territory. In The adventures of Huckleberry Finn it is clear that women appear to be the embodiment of the enslavement of society. Huck's resistance to the social norms the women represent and try to make him conform to is a resistance to imprisonment. His time floating down the river with Jim was not just an escape from a difficult situation, but the acquisition of the very freedom all of us long for.

Works Cited:
Emerson, Ralph Waldo. Self-Reliance. Taken from the Website:
http://www.emersoncentral.com/selfreliance.htm

Twain, Mark. The adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Ogborn, Jane ed. Cambridge University Press Edition: Cambridge, 1995.

Teaching Huck Finn
Name: Laine Edwa
Date: 2006-04-29 10:53:50
Link to this Comment: 19184

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

As someone who will be teaching high school English next year in a classroom of low-income, minority students, I am interested in how literature can be used to broach difficult and often taboo topics such as race and discrimination. Mark Twain's novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, deals very specifically, although subtlety, with both of these issues. Twain's use of the word "nigger" and his portrayal of the black characters in the novel make Huck Finn a prime text for exploring issues of race in the classroom. In this lesson plan I will first explain the type of classroom community that I believe necessary to have productive and fruitful discussion about race. I will then continue by outlining three activities that will engage the students in discussion with each other as well as provoking them to think introspectively about the ways in which race has impacted their lives. Finally, I will finish the lesson plan with an essay prompt that ties together the discussion of race in Huck Finn with the greater implications I would like the book to have for the students in their communities. My intention with the creation of this lesson plan is to teach The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in a way that sparks a dialogue between students and encourages them to continue discussing and thinking about race beyond the classroom in a positive way.
The Classroom Community:
Before even broaching such a controversial topic as race I believe that it is first essential to take stock of the type of community fostered within the classroom. In order for any discussion of race to be productive, an atmosphere of mutual respect must first be established. I will respect my students, my students will respect me, but most importantly, my students need to respect each other. Students must feel comfortable enough in the classroom to express their opinions without fear of ridicule. Additionally, students must be able to express dissenting opinions while at the same time showing consideration for the opinions of others. In order to create such a community in my classroom I believe it is necessary to involve students in the process. Before beginning discussion about issues of race in Huck Finn I will have a discussion with my students about how they feel respectful discussion should be conducted. From there, I will ask the class to come up together with a few guidelines (i.e., do not interrupt while another student is speaking) to help facilitate a courteous dialogue. By fostering a classroom community that focuses on mutual respect and consideration for others, my students will learn how to discuss difficult issues in a way that promotes continued dialogue within the community.
The Activities:
1. To begin a discussion of race in Huck Finn I will first write the word "nigger" on the blackboard. Instead of immediately asking students to speak, I will ask them to sit quietly in their seats and think about the word written on the board. After approximately a minute I will invite students to come up to the board, without talking, and write their thoughts or feelings. To start things off I will write the word "contextual" on the board. After all the students have written on the board I will ask for volunteers to start the discussion. My hope is that the students will be inspired to discuss their experiences with the word, whether it be how they have heard the word used, how they themselves use the word or how the word has impacted their own lives.
My hope for this exercise is that it will jumpstart a dialogue about race in the student's own lives. Our discussion together will create a base for further conversations about the way race functions in Huck Finn. In order to delve into the text and look specifically at how the word "nigger" operates within the story, I feel it is necessary to ground the word in a real-life context, such as the lives of my students. Making these connections between literature and real life will
2. To continue our discussion of race in Huck Finn I will ask my students to look specifically at how the word "nigger" functions with the text. I believe the word functions in several different ways, each of which highlights a different aspect of the way race functions within the novel. When describing blacks, such as the people who come to hear Jim's stories, or even Jim himself, white characters freely use the word "nigger" to connote their superiority over blacks. To emphasize this use of the word I will point students to the end of chapter fifteen when Huck says, "It was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go humble myself to a nigger" (82). Huck clearly believes himself to be above apologizing to Jim for the simple reason that he is white and Jim is black. I will then ask students how they feel the word "nigger" is used in the text and if its use in the text is similar to the way the word is present in their own lives. In drawing these comparisons I hope students will see an example of the works of literature can relate to the text of their own lives. Although the use of the word "nigger" in Huck Finn is only one example of the word in a historical context, it provides students with a base with which to explore other works of literature that might further their understanding of issues of race.
3. Once my students have examined Huck Finn through the use of specific words such as "nigger," as well as looked at the historical context of the character Jim, I will ask them to bring the text back to the present and think about the impact slavery still has on our society today. I would argue that it still has an extremely large impact on people of all races, however, I will be interested to hear the perspective of my student's as they come from different racial and class backgrounds. For this activity I will ask my students to gather newspaper articles, song lyrics, pictures, personal testimonies, poems, and other works of literature giving evidence as to either why they do or do not believe that slavery still has an impact on American society today.
I am particularly interested in this third activity of my lesson plan because this is a theme that we have been struggling with for the whole semester in my African American Literature class. We did not come to any concrete solutions in this class; however, we all did agree that slavery does still impact how we live today. Where we had difficulties making distinctions was in the degree to which we felt the institution of slavery affected different racial groups. Obviously slavery affects blacks differently than whites, but can we place any sort of value on who feels the negative effects to a greater degree? In my class I would steer away from pitting black against white and instead focus on the way that both races feel the effects of slavery. If time permitted, I think it would be worthwhile to have a discussion with the class about solutions to some of the problems that they identified
Final Essay:
For the student's final assignment I will ask them to write a letter to the school board either in favor of, or against, teaching The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in school. I am not so much interested in which answer the students give, but rather I am interested in how students support the answer they give. I will ask students to support their argument with quotes from the texts, examples from class discussions, and their own perspectives on how reading Huck Finn and discussing it in a classroom setting either positively or negatively affected their feelings about race in our society. It is my hopes that students will be inspired by our discussion of Huck Finn and write an impassioned letter describing how the novel has allowed them to discuss a loaded topic in a way that is thoughtful and productive.
Conclusion:
I am a firm believer in the power of literature to bring different people together and help them discuss difficult topics. Within the classroom, literature is an especially effective tool for getting students to have a dialogue about issues that directly affect them in their lives. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn deals very specifically with issues of race and also provides a historical context through which students can learn about slavery and the effect it still has on their own lives today. In asking students to write a letter to the school board either in favor of or against the teaching of Huck Finn in schools, I hope that students will think about the ways in a reading of the book has contributed to their education. Ultimately, I hope reading and discussing Huck Finn will teach students about the importance of respectful discussion about difficult topics.

Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. New York: Barnes & Noble, Inc., 1996.

Misadventures of Jim
Name: Adina Halp
Date: 2006-04-29 13:35:06
Link to this Comment: 19186

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

The following manuscript was found in 1900 on the banks of the Mississippi River. Its author refers to himself as "Jim." The events recorded in the manuscript are extremely similar to those involving one Huckleberry Finn shortly before the Civil War. In fact, it is speculated that the author of this manuscript is the slave (who was later freed) who accompanied Huckleberry Finn on his adventures. Pages of the manuscript seem to be missing, and much of it is torn and appears to be weathered to the point of illegibility.

The manuscript is recorded not in the dialect of southern slaves but in modern-day English. This seems to be because Jim could not write and so would have had to dictate his story to someone else. The only word used throughout the manuscript that is not in common use today (and is in fact an extremely offensive word) is the word "nigger." It seems that the author would have included that word because Jim used it so many times throughout the story and because it highlights the racial nature of this book:

...I did not sleep at all that night because Miss Watson's problem required my full attention. The next day, I was exhausted, but my work still had to be completed. As I was finishing up some of my chores in the kitchen, I heard a rustle outside. I thought it might a rat. I can remember thinking that Miss Watson would be very disturbed if she did in fact have rats in her house, when I heard the sound again. I realized that the house and Miss Watson might be in danger.

I went outside to see who was there. At first, I simply asked, "Who dah?" When no one replied and the sound continued, my worry grew. I called out, "Say—who is you? Whar is you? Dog my cats ef I didn' hear sumf'n. Well, I knows what I's gwine to do. I's gwine to set down here and listen tell I hears it agin." (18). I sat down outside.

I was not actually very worried, but I thought that I would scare anyone who was there away. I had a feeling it was Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and perhaps some of their friends; those children were always up to no good. I blamed the Sawyer kid. He was always reading those adventure novels and he didn't quite seem to grasp the difference between novels and reality. He was not a bad child, and I knew that he never really meant to hurt anyone, but he never seemed to realize that his actions had consequences.

Poor Huck idolized him. I saw him follow that boy around all the time and get himself into so much trouble; something about Tom bewitched him. The irony in all this was that Huck really had been through a lot. His mother had died, and his pap was a violent and mentally disturbed alcoholic. At the time, we thought he had died, and that was why Huck was living with the Widow in the first place, but I don't think that she could really give him the guidance he would have received in a normal family of white folks.

Tom had the luxury of a family. Unlike my own, it was a free family. His adventures always ended when he went home to the comfort of his family. He would act out these scenarios, but they would always end in a realization of just how lucky he really was. Huck did not quite seem to grasp this, and he admired Huck's sense of adventure and even his ability to cope with what Huck perceived to be real and often dangerous situations. His own life really was full of adventures. Later, he would rely on these "games" for his own survival. He would become the person who would receive the most help from whichever person on whom he was playing the game or trick.

I could relate to Huck. I remember feeling constant terror as a child, and being torn apart from my mother. When I was young, I would see other children and want to be just like them – whenever something in their lives went wrong, everything was usually sorted out in a matter of days. (Often that "sorting out" involved physically punishing me.) Huck's life as an orphan and the life that I remember having as a slave child were extremely different, but we both knew what it was like to have uncertainty and no control over our own lives. We both differed from Tom in this way that Tom would probably never understand – in a way that I hoped Tom never would understand, because it is a life that no one deserves. As long as Tom had the freedom, happiness, and structure, he could continue his adventures that always, inevitably, ended.

As these thoughts ran through my head, I began to lose focus. I was extremely tired from not having slept the night before. I must have drifted off to sleep, because when I woke up, my hat was no longer on my head. I thought it might have slipped off, but when I looked around, I saw it hanging on a limb of the tree under which I must have fallen asleep. I must have looked like quite a fool looking around like that, but a few seconds I had to laugh; it was actually really funny. I knew, then, that the intruders must have been those children. They must have thought it was really funny playing a trick on an old nigger like me. Maybe I should have been offended, but I wasn't. After all, they played tricks anyone they could find – not only niggers. They were only children, and I was glad that they had the freedom to spend their time playing those kinds of tricks on people.

When I went back into the house, I realized that some of Miss Watson's candles were missing. I knew that those children had taken them. Miss Watson was not a poor woman and she could always buy more candles, but she would still be extremely angry, and someone would have to take the blame. That someone would probably be me.

I had to think of a way to let Miss Watson know that I had not taken the candles, but I couldn't tell her what had actually happen. If she knew that Huck, Tom, and their friends had taken the candles, those children would have been in a lot of trouble. Besides, there was no saying that she would actually believe me. I could easily imagine myself being punished for putting the blame on poor, innocent children. Furthermore, I could have gotten in trouble for knowing that the robbery was taking place and for not stopping it.

As Huck would later have to do, I came up with a story for my own survival. So I "said the witches bewitched [me] and put [me] in a trance, and rode [me] all over the State, and then set [my] hat on a limb to show who had done it" (19). Of course, Miss Watson did not believe the story – no one in her right mind would have believed it. But it was so sensational that Miss Watson blamed my inability to stop the robbery on my own supposed simple-mindedness and stupidity.

She was amazed that someone would really believe that. To her, it was much less believable than the stories in her bible. (Personally, I thought that some of those stories were much more unbelievable than those I had heard and told that involved witches.) She wanted me to repeat the story to her friends, but I knew that in order to keep up the façade, I had to make the story even more sensational. So the "next time [I] told it [I] said they rode [me] down to New Orleans; and after that, every time [I] told it [I] spread it more and more, till by and by [I] said they rode [me] all over the world, and tired [me] most to death, and [my] back was all over saddle-boils." I was amazed that they actually believed me, and I "was monstrous proud about it" (19).

Even though the story changed so much every time, people really thought I believed it! I was amazed! So I got the last laugh. Sometimes it's just easier to act the way people expect you to act. If I had not continued to make up stories such as this one, the way that people saw me would have changed. In a way, the consequences of this might have been positive. Perhaps could have disproved the untrue stereotype of the superstitious happy-go-lucky nigger; but because the stereotype was false in the first place, I really think that there was very little that I could have done. (This stereotype is even more prevalent now, in 1900. People are starting to say that niggers were happy as slaves; that in slavery, our only cares were simple, and that we were treated with care by our paternal masters, who cared for us.) Instead, I was able to use my sharp wit when I needed it most, to Miss Watson's place to Jackson's Island.

...At this point, the manuscript once again becomes difficult to decipher. Here at Norton, our experts are able to gather that Jim, as he implies above, escaped to Jackson Island where he encountered Huckleberry Finn who had also escaped to the island after staging his own death. This trickery about which Jim writes continues throughout the novel. Not only does Huck trick the people he meets along the way, often for his own survival, as well as Jim's survival. For example, when he believes that Tom's Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas Phelps are going to sell Jim further south where the treatment of slaves is even crueler, he pretends that he is Tom Sawyer. When the real Tom Sawyer appears, begins to help Huck in his plan, even though he knew that Miss Watson had died two months earlier and written in her will that Jim was to be set free. Once again, Huck's adventures were survival and Tom's were for no discernible reason other than his own fun.

However, where Huck leaves Jim in the manuscript, Huck chooses to be free and to "light out for the Territory ahead of the rest" (296). Jim says that Aunt Sally was willing to adopt Huck but that the rejected the offer because he thought she was going to try to "sivilize" him. He recalls Huck telling him, "I can't stand it. I been there before." This greatly contradicts the idea that Huck's adventures were driven truly out of a need for survival and that he would not have lived such a life if he had had the choice. Perhaps Jim got it all wrong. Or maybe this is proof that human beings are multi-dimensional creatures and there were multiple driving forces behind the adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Work Cited:
Twain, Mark. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. 1884; rpt. Norton Critical Edition. Ed. Thomas Cooley. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. 1999.

Freedom is Not a Feeling: Constraining Huckleberry
Name: Steph Hero
Date: 2006-04-30 19:15:04
Link to this Comment: 19196

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

Form Poems after Chapter 31 of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Fibonacci
Form: 0-1-1-2-3-5-8 syllables

Think.
As
long as
he can hide
it, ain't no disgrace.

I
kneel
down, but
the words won't
come. Why would they? My
heart warn't right. It warn't no use tryin'.

It
was
a close
place. I took
it up, held it in
my hand. I studied a minute,
sort of holding my breath. Alright, then, I'll go to hell.

Cinquain
Modern form: 2-4-6-8-2 syllables

It was
awful thoughts. But
I let them stay said, and
Never thought no more about re-
forming.

Traditional form: ababb rhyme

Blamed if I know what's become of the raft
I went straight out into the country a mile before I stopped –
That old fool made a trade, just stood there and laughed.
Got him home late last night, all whiskey, sin-popped
Little rascal shook us, knees flailin', sense dropped.

Haiku
Form: 5-7-5 syllables, about nature

Filled up the canoe
with water, sunk her where I
could find her again.

So I left.
Struck for the back country.
Didn't look around.

Villanelle
Form: 19 lines, five stanzas of three lines, final stanza of four lines, first and third line of the first stanza repeat alternating as the closing line of each stanza and form the last two lines of the final stanza.

I felt good and all washed clean of sin for the first time
I knowed I could pray now
But I didn't do it straight off

Thinking how good it was all this happened so
And got to thinking of our trip down
I felt good and all washed clean of sin for the first time

Sometimes moonlight, sometimes storms
I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath

I struck the time I saved him
Would always call me honey, and pet me
I felt good and washed clean of sin for the first time

I was full of trouble, full as I could be
But as long as I was in for good, I might as well go the whole hog

It was awful thoughts, and awful words
I let them stay said.
I felt good and all washed clean of sin for the first time.
But I didn't do it straight off.

Explication:

All of these poems were composed using exact phrases from chapter thirty-one of Twain's novel, most of them from the same paragraph, if not the same sentence. That specific chapter was picked because it contains a moment of revelation for Huck, in which he chooses to go with his individual notion of freedom for Jim as opposed to doing the morally respectable act of returning Jim to owner, Miss Watson.

Twain's novel is remarkably, unquestionably about freedom. In putting Twain's words into form poetry, I am twisting the notion that freedom is liberation from constraints, suggesting that freedom is intimately connected with the ability to manipulate within restrictions. In each of the above poems, Huck's voice emerges with fresh meaning and resonance, yet the medium in which his emotions are conveyed is one of ultimate restriction – exact syllables or rhyme use. I did not allow Huck's voice to surrender itself to the restraints of form, but instead used these limits I placed upon myself to recreate meaning in Huck's words. Thus, constraints did not inhibit my creative freedom, but instead allowed meaning to manifest in new ways to fit the constraints. Freedom is not, as Rebecca Walker suggested, a feeling. It is instead acceptance of the inevitable presence of constraints in life, and learning how to manipulate these constraints to create a sense of an innovative, original, personal freedom.

Works Cited

Types of Poetry. Poem of Quotes. 2004-2006.
27 April 2006.

Twain, Mark. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Dover Publicastions, Inc: New York, NY, 1994.

An Impression of Families in "The Adventures of Hu
Name: Marina Gal
Date: 2006-05-04 01:28:04
Link to this Comment: 19217

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

(I accidently turned in in under march 31 so I am submitting again...oops!)

In "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", there were multiple and varied examples of family structures. There were a few implications for the different models of family structures and one was that perhaps family can be found anywhere. Secondly with diverse models we know that there can be an individual mentality or a mob mentality toward family just as we talked about in class, but in this book I believe there is more of a mob mentality, especially with Huck Finn.

To say that family can be found anywhere is obvious to most anyone. Even the famous song, "We Are Family", prompts people to feel like kin. When making the statement that familial structures are everywhere in the novel, I am not exaggerating. It would almost be impossible to name them all, but some of the more important and distinct cliques are, Huck and his aunts, Huck and Tom, Huck and Jim, and the Duke and the Dauphin. The list I just made is clearly of people who are close with each other, but not related (as in parent to child). In the book we read, we saw how these people interacted daily an even though they may not have been related, they were as loving to one another as any family unit would be and that is why I consider them family. They obviously chose to be together. The other family units such as the Grangerfords, the Wilks, and the Phelps have different familial structures and models because they have traditional familial models. These people (or at least some of them) chose to be together at one time) and now the rest of them must deal with the consequences be them good or bad. It reminds me of a parents saying to a child, "She is your sister, you have to love her!" There may be love or hate in the family, but they are more or less stuck with what they have.

When David Ross came and visited the class he talked about economics and how an economist views things. Obviously, as we learned in class and as it says on Serendip, "Economics operates on the group level". Therefore, I took these thoughts from class and applied them to my thoughts about Huck Finn and individual versus group/mob mentality in the book.

When it comes to individual mentality there is not much room for it in familial relations because when one thinks on an individual level they are thinking for themselves and doing what they alone what to do. When a person belongs to a group they essentially give up they immediate right for individual thinking and work more toward group thoughts and what would be best for the group. An example of this is when Huck is on the raft with Jim and Huck is struggling with himself about the idea of turning Jim in. The reason this idea is so hard for Huck to make is because he is moving from and individual mindset to a group mindset as he forms a family unit with Jim. Once the family unit is complete I find it hard to believe that Huck would ever turn Jim in. Even when Huck has the chance to turn Jim in he passes it up by lying and saying there is sickness on their raft so that they are left alone and Jim is safe.

On the other hand, there is the group or mob mentality in correlation to family structures. The idea was clearly summarized on Serendip when it says that mob mentality is the, "concern with systematic harm, collective responsibility". In essence one would worry more about the group they are in as a whole and blame for something would be shared rather than any individual being singled out for any wrong-doing. This idea reminds me of economics in the sense that in the book families work as groups as do family units. Even though families work as units or with mob mentalities, they cannot change big concepts such as slavery, because each family is still an individual unit. In a way families are both groups and individuals in the way they work. They work like groups amongst themselves, but they cannot affect greater society much because that would require the binding together of many families to create a larger unit. I could not help but notice that people in class felt the book lacked in observing individuals, but that made sense to me because the book took on the role of showing how mod mentality plays out in families and in society.

In the book the mob mentality was more subtle, but also more broad. Clearly families were still involved because many people had to feel these feelings to cause things to happen, but mob mentality of a society is dissimilar from mob mentality of a single family. The society's feelings seemed to revolve mainly around slavery, education, and oddly enough society itself. The part family plays in this is such; families come together as a group with a collective thought on an issue and then decide where then stand when the issue comes into play. For example, with society, Huck's aunts felt being civilized was important and therefore tried to pass that feeling on to Huck. Many other people obviously thought being civilized was important as well; otherwise the society they were living in would be non-existent. That group of other people who also believed in being civilized was part of the cluster that held their mob mentality belief about society. Even though Mark Twain wrote "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" two decades after the Emancipation Proclamation and the end of the Civil War, he set it decades earlier when society's mob feelings at the time were clearly toward slavery and yet a few people were beginning to become open to the idea of freeing slaves, but no where near enough. In the book society also felt a certain way about education and that was a combination of both good morals and intellectual education. There are very clear divisions between society and outcasts in the sense that the outcast, an example being Huck, talks of going to Hell when he disagrees with or questions society's teachings. Huck doesn't trust society at large because he feels it failed to protect him from abuse. Now he is uneducated and lacks society's morals, yet Huck is finding his own way based on his own experiences. He is moving away from society and carving out a new path. A group of people with society's idea of education would most likely be the Phelps', who ironically is the only intact family in the book. Both of the Phelps generally have good morals and are educated people for their time. They fit the mold for being educated for their time.

Undoubtedly mob mentality took precedence over individual mentality in the book not only with the way that it works inside of families, but also in entire societies. Individual mentality was only seen a small bit in the notion of a single person and their own thoughts. To take this idea of different mentalities and family structures and apply it to the world I have found that families can be found anywhere and in any form while at the same time they can have numerous different types of mentalities involved amongst them. I feel that individual mentality will most likely mirror the book in the sense that it is seen much less than obviously than mob/group mentality is, but it is still present; it just does not have as much of an impact on the group as it does on our own being. In Psychology class I learned that cultures differ in what they place as important whether it be the group or the self. In America the self is much more important than the group, but in Asia the group is more important. Twain wrote the book in America and the book still was pervaded with a group mentality, does that mean even though we are a self-centered culture, we still are very much group thinkers? What would have happened if Twain had written the book in Asia? Would he have changed the story completely because the people have a different mindset? It is too bad Twain did not write one of those books we used to have in elementary school where you could see multiple endings, expect for this I would be able to see how he would have written the book differently in a dissimilar culture.

Works Cited

http://serendipstudio.org/

Missing Chapter: Huck and Miss Fuller
Name: Alison Rei
Date: 2006-05-06 01:58:01
Link to this Comment: 19263

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

The gardener notices me and Jim peeping in at the house and looking towards the orchards to see if we can swipe some apples without no one seeing. He comes over and gives us a fright and a yell and Jim hides out for the woods nearby while I try to say that we were just needing to speak to the missus of the house but since it isn't convenient that we'd go away and come back later. I'm hoping he wanders off and we can sneak in later but he grabs me and says I'd best go up to the house then. I start getting all anxious and telling that I'll just come back another time and I am on an important route and can't bear to be disturbed but he just hustles me up to the door. I get pushed in and am trying to think of what to tell the servants that will get me out when I am made to go into the sitting room. The room is real nice and fancy with furnishings and a whole mess of books, more than I've ever seen before and probably filled with more adventures than Tom Sawyer could think of. While I'm looking around a lady comes in and sits down near me and looks at me steady and says, "What a charming child you are, my dear. What is your name?" And she begins piercing me with them steady eyes of hers and I cant hardly remember my given name let alone the one I's plannin to give. I stutters out "George Peters, ma'am." And she looks me over real good and glances at her bookshelves and looks back at me until I feel real pressed and my heads is racing to think of a good excuse. But before I can say nothing, she says, "Well, that's certainly a good name for you, George" and she seems pleased so I smile and nod my head. "Won't you tell me about your travels and how you came to be here?" and I feel her eyes on me again so I start telling her some history but I mix in some of the truth because she seems real hard. I tell her my parents died tragically in a steamboat wreck and my mother put me on some floating driftwood and wept tragically and my pa tied a bag of gold and a note on me tellin who I was and where I was from and saying he hoped the Lord would follow me and help me. After I was found, I went to live with the Widow Douglas and she tried to sivilize me and I tried to do it for a time but in the end I couldn stand it so I lit out to join a gang of robbers and plunderers who lived on an island nearby. I told her they scared me terrible and threatened to kill me and skin me if I called the sheriff on em so I stayed real quiet for a time and cooked their meals and hauled their plunder and got on well with em. Til one night, ten runaway niggers crashed their skiff on the island and tried to steal the robbers plunder, wich wasn't fair an their was a huge battle and all the robbers were killed and all the niggers were killed cept one and he took me prisoner and we took a raft onto the river to go find his children and wife so he could kill their master and kidnap them too. She starts looking interested and kinda leans forward onto her elbows and fixes her eyes on me again so I sit down and just keep talkin and I tell her about the duke and the king. She looked real pleased with their scams and laughed when I told her about the Royal Nonesuch and the Shakespeare but I left out the part about Mary Jane and the coffin and the money and so forth because she could hear about it from someone else and hear bout me bein there. She asked how I came by Concord and to her house but I got real nervous and couldn decide on the truth or on a lie and she kept lookin at me until my head pulled up Tom Sawyer's face and it reminded me of a story pulled from a book and I told her, "Me and my companion are lookin for an inn to stay at and no one will let us in and its real sad cus we'd be mighty pleased to just stay in a barn and we came to your door cus we saw a bright light coming out of the top windows." I hoped she'd swallow it and for a time she just looked at me with a pleased look on her face until finally she says that I am a very fascinating boy and I may stay as long as I like and she would order us some food and we could chat. I said that would be plenty fine and she smiles and I shuffle back on her soft couch. After she calls in a servant she looks back at me and kind of folds her hands under her chin and asks, "I am quite interested in your Widow Douglas. She seems quite interesting in her manner. Did you gain much improvement from her?" My first thought was to say no and that she was awful but I figured it would sound better to be charitable so I says, "She was real proper and wanted me to wear Sunday clothes and made me pray but it didn't agree with me." And she says, "It is far too bad that prayer does not touch your soul, George, for there is a spark of Divine Providence in you that will uplift you to a higher moral place if you can only see it. But tell me more about her attempts to civilize you. You say that disagreed with your constitution as well, you could not live within the bounds of propriety?" I expected a fancy lady with fine manners to be ticked that I wasn't respectable but she says she has good buddy named Miranda who did things different from other people but was a mighty smart woman and pretty respectable even if she seemed queer at first. When hearing that made me feel less squirrelly so I tells her that I tried to pray but nothin came out of it and when I tried I knew I was spoutin lies and did no one believe them true, not me nor Him. She looks puzzled and leans forward and tells me, "Dear child, you can never play the Lord false for the Divinity within you connects to him and against that golden spark, you can never break your bond. What issue brought such feelings of disengagement to you?" and I feels real embarrassed but I tell her the truth and say, "I helped a runaway nigger go free and didn't tell his nobody nor his master and I couldn face the shame or consequences that were due to me so I just kept going and lettin him free." Well then her face lights up with this holy anger and I get real nervous like shes gonna sock me right out my chair. She bellows at me, "Child, freeing the oppressed African nation is a glorious pursuit that sings of righteousness! No man can hold another in bondage for we are only held to one great Master!" Well, she said that mighty forceful and fancy but I had this itch to tell her, "But he belonged to Miss Watson and she was probably pretty riled up to have her property run off." The lady sits back real steady but makes sure my face is on hers and says, "That man is no man's property. You see George, our great nation was founded on the belief of equality of all men before the Lord and it is our duty to live to that golden certainty. The plight of the African nation must be catered to and corrected by his brothers without concern for repressive and repetitive convention. Our past actions toward him have been the scoff of the world and the purest of cowards equivocate and dissemble them. Why, think of the suffering forced on our Lord by those he sought to save! Any person aiding the freedom of a slave is a herald of the future, a banner carrier for the new frontier." Well I sat there dumbstruck and didn't know rightly what to say cus aint nobody I knew talked bout niggers with the same force, like their position was so wrong and theys deserving of freedom. But before I can say nothing, she starts in again. "You valuable liberty, don't you Dear George? You wish for a perfect freedom for yourself in this world?" I said, "Yes'm, living on that raft and makin for the territories suits me much finer than living in towns with the womenfolk and the children and church." She seems to soak that in and picks up her teacup and swirls the spoon around and drinks it and sits back with a look in her like she could see odd things. "Many people have struck for liberty," she says, "but too many have sought the mere idea of unfettered enjoyment of life. Man seeking to stand above others, never realizing the root of his unhappinesses is his own imperfections. Scuffling amongst each other as if His creations were due by right to nothing more than bloodshed and license." In my head, those things sounded mighty fine but she kept going. "Liberty is much more than will and force. Every path should be laid open to any capable of following it towards the secrets of the universe with naught but God to oversee us. A such perfect, religious and intelligent freedom, that is what we must seek for every man and woman." And then she sighs like seeing a lovely play and I admit some of those things sound mighty compelling and I like to hear her talk so I lean in some and she seems to catch notice of it and says, "But you must be curious of how to seek such a liberty in one's own life. Your guardians have led your intellect into the dark in their foolish insistence on the past to grip and shape yourself when the cultivation of a living mind will bring more glory to men than bruised knees. They must demand clear judgment, courage, honor, fidelity from you as often as you rise from your bed and take breath and must never let your pursuits lay idle. Miranda's dear father demanded nothing less from her and her faith and self-respect gave her an electric nature that pulled her compatriots to her and repelled those who would never match her. The world opened up before her like yours has for you." I liked the idea of a lectric personality and all the talk of the world laying out for me. She gave me chills the way she looked into me and seemed to see the future right on ahead of me. Then she just sits back in her chair and sips her tea and eats some cake so I kinda slouch back and take a few sips of my tea, though I don't like it none. I'm sort of wanting a pipe but remember its back by the gates with Jim and think better of it cus I cant tell if she'd not want me to smoke on her fancy carpet. She looks up at me and says, "Your name is Peter, correct? Peter Georgeson?" And all of a sudden I cant recall what I told her so I nod and say it rightly is. "Well Peter, you have been blessed with a corporeal freedom that you must never waste on trifles. Inspire your mind to push back the darkness of the universe and above all, live freely." So she gets up to see me out the door and I get up to follow her and she has the maid give me some cake and some apples and I walk out her yard, looking for Jim's face peering out of the trees.

The More It Asserts Itself: Guilt and Masculinity
Name: Amy Stern
Date: 2006-05-06 09:40:19
Link to this Comment: 19265

<mytitle> Big Books Home
2006 Fifth Web Report
On Serendip

The Scarlet Letter has traditionally been presented as a story about Hester Prynne. Certainly she is the focal point of the novel; the letter in question is a judgment upon her, as reflected in a symbol upon her chest. Yet to view Hawthorne's classic chiefly as the story of Hester, or of the guilt of a woman who sinned against a village, is not only untrue, it is reductive of the novel as a whole. To read the text as the story of Hester removes the deepest truth of the story; it is a tale of a town, and each member of the town is as guilty as Hester is, in some way or another. This can be seen in any of the villagers we meet, or even the villagers altogether as an entity, but it is perhaps most obvious by examining Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.

Although The Scarlet Letter is written by a male author, is textually a story recounted by a man, and certainly has what could be seen as a traditionally masculine (not to mention, perhaps somewhat obviously, Puritan) sensibility about sex, the men are usually considered secondary to the novel's female protagonist. Hester is the central focus of the novel, and while she is clearly directly tied to both Dimmesdale and Chillingworth, her primary relationship is with her daughter, Pearl. Pearl is young, however, and not yet developed into a worthy conversationalist; she is in many ways not yet independent enough to be anything but a reflection of her strongest influence. To that end, much of her behavior, not to mention her interactions with her mother, can be read as Hester interacting with different facets of herself. Because of this, while Pearl and Hester are interesting, they are hardly a relationship built on secrets and conflict. Pearl is a physical representation of Hester's biggest secret, but by being born and interacting as a person, Pearl has in many ways ceased to be that which she symbolizes and become, in fact, the inverse of same; a secret brought to light is no longer a secret at all.

Similarly, while Hester's relationships with Dimmesdale and Chillingworth are interesting, for the reader they are strikingly one-sided. Hester knows both of their secrets; one is her husband, the other the father of her child. Yet she chooses to not share this with anyone, because the men have chosen to not share the information; she allows the flow of information to be dictated through her rather than to take the initiative and share the information herself. Although Hester is hardly passive, and her silence is in and of itself a form of activism, she is still willing to allow the power which she could have to be taken from her. Neither man's choice to keep his secret is ever questioned, even in the face of her being forced to share her own without granting permission.

Because of this, Hester's relationship with both men is inherently unbalanced. She knows their secrets, and keeps them, yet they are not responsible for keeping hers; anything Hester might have wanted to keep hidden was revealed with the birth of her daughter. Likewise, the men cannot have a relationship with anyone else in the town which would have a balance, because the same problem arises; at least as far as the omniscient narrator seems to know, the townspeople have no secrets which compare to Dimmesdale's or Chillingworth's. Moreover, they think that these two men are honest, upstanding citizens. Dimmesdale especially, a religious leader in this small religious town, is seen as the epitome of virtue. For him, then, an equal relationship with any of the townspeople is simply impossible; their expectations for him and the truth of who he actually is are in far too much conflict to ever allow for true conversation. Similarly, so many facts about Chillingworth's history are omitted from anything he tells the people in the town that any interaction is almost by definition unbalanced; with no one truly suspecting that anything might be strange or hidden, Chillingworth is granted a bizarre amount of power, by virtue of that which he is able to keep hidden.

In fact, the only true balanced, equal relationship that either Chillingworth or Dimmesdale can have is with each other. While it is certainly arguable that the strongest emotional bond either man has is with Hester, their biggest conflict, and the most passion we see from either of them, tends to be revealed when they are interacting with each other. Considering the book can easily be read as a heterosexual romance focusing on the role of the woman, it is perhaps ironic that we learn the most about Dimmesdale and Chillingworth from their interactions with each other. For each man, the other's presence is hurtful, yet both seem incapable of moving away from these interactions. Under the guise of a deep forming friendship, both men appear to gain an almost sadomasochistic pleasure from their time with one another.

This is not to say that the relationship is in any way sexual. While it is possible to read their deep and growing relationship, not to mention the clear passion each man feels about the other, as homoerotic, it is difficult to deny that both men are sexually attracted to Hester above all. It is, in fact, this feeling for Hester which fuels their interactions with each other; in many ways, both men exist to serve as witness to the other's love of a woman who, for some reason, cannot love him fully. Hester remains the invisible center of any interaction the two have, a firmly heterosexual baseline for their interplay. This is, in many ways, which makes the queer reading possible; "the more [masculinity] asserts itself, the more it calls itself into question" (Segal). The masculinity, in this case, is like Dimmesdale's own guilt; the more he self-identifies as guilty, the more the people read his attitude as indicative of the idea that "we are all sinners", and the more he seems noble, humble, and innocent of all wrongdoing. It is quite easy to believe, then, that that attitude is reflected in all things Dimmesdale does.

That is perhaps why a reader can easily view the love triangle as one which goes in all directions. The conversations which Chillingworth and Dimmesdale have together seem far more like conversations between equals than either of their interactions with Hester do. (And perhaps it is telling that in the text, Hawthorne calls upon both men by their last names and Hester by her first; it is a clear representation of the imbalance of power beneath them. When this identification system is repeated in analysis, however, is it legitimizing the power imbalance for the reader, or merely staying true to the text? Referring to Dimmesdale, who is usually only identified to as "The Reverend Mr. Dimmesdale", as "Arthur", or to Chillingworth as "Roger", seems as wrong as calling Hester "Prynne".) Yet this seems to speak more of love as a construct which has far less to do with sex or sexuality than with passion and interest and strong feelings for one another. This feeling shows itself, by turns, as curiosity, as antipathy, and as friendship. It is the contrast among these three feelings which makes their relationship so compelling. As Chillingworth, for example, strives to get closer and closer to Dimmesdale's secret, the latter seems to thrive on the pain of hiding his secret, protecting himself from a condemnation which he is not getting from the people of the town. Dimmesdale clearly feels he deserves this pain (as exemplified in the A burned across his chest; whether it is a divine symbol or simply the result of him constantly beating his own chest, it is certainly a powerful visual representation of the guilt which he feels). Similarly, Chillingworth places himself in close proximity with the man he is increasingly sure impregnated his wife, and clearly begins to feel some guilt by the end of the novel; he leaves a large sum of money to Pearl, even though she is Hester's child with another man. (Hester, of course, seems to get the pain from both men with none of the feeling of deserved punishment – but that is perhaps another essay.) Each similarly holds the other in contempt; Chillingworth judges for the adultery, and Dimmesdale judges for the cruelty to Hester.

In many ways, despite how it is frequently advertised, The Scarlet Letter is primarily the story of two men's guilt. After all, Hester's guilt is public, a red letter embroidered upon her chest such that everyone can see it, and as such, the secret for which she might feel ashamed is public for everyone to see. For Hester, the guilt of the secret itself is not compounded by the stress of keeping it as a secret. Both Dimmesdale and Chillingworth, however, are responsible for not just the truth which they are guarding, but also for the all-consuming act of guarding it. For Dimmesdale, in fact, this act seems to prove fatal; it is only as he is dying that he can drop his act of piety in favor of revealing the truth.

Dimmesdale and Chillingworth are both, in many ways, their own worst enemies. Their inability to come to terms with that which is hidden ultimately exposes them to far more suffering than Hester, forced to wear a piece of cloth which condemns her, could ever think of. It is the men's pain which is at the center of the novel, that of standing idly by instead of confronting the internal demons head-on. Hawthorne's novel therefore most strongly investigates not Hester, but the men around her, for condemning her to such a fate in silence.

Identity and The Word in Huck Finn
Name: Jessica Ro
Date: 2006-05-06 13:29:34
Link to this Comment: 19266

<mytitle> Big Books Home
2006 Fifth Web Report
On Serendip

Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of those famously banned books that everyone still reads, many high schools and colleges still teach. The reasons for banning Huck Finn have changed in the century plus since its publication. Originally the story was considered amoral and anti-religion, portraying a rebellious spirit of boyhood that educators and parents alike did not want to impart to children. Much more often the issue in recent years, however, is the hoopla surrounding the reading of Huck Finn by high school students has had more to do with what's believed to be the novel's dangerous portrayal of race. Dangerous, one wonders, how? There is a desire to label the book "racist," and much fuss made over the famed 215 times the n-word is used.

Critics even in 1885 were able to read the game Twain plays. In the San Francisco Chronicle, a book reviewer wrote,

Running all through the book is the sharpest satire on the ante-bellum estimate of the slave.... there is nothing truer in the book.

It does not take an advanced level of reading comprehension to understand the humour, and that the story is intended not as a manifestation of the world as Twain believes it should be, but instead as social criticism of the highest sort. A critic in a 1999 article in the Jewish World Review, of all places, put it plainly when he wrote:

The people whom Huck and Jim encounter on the Mississippi are drunkards, murderers, bullies, swindlers, lynches, thieves, liars, frauds, child abusers, numskulls, hypocrites, windbags and traders in human flesh. All are white. The one man of honor in this phantasmagoria is 'Nigger Jim,' as Twain called him to emphasize the irony of a society in which the only true gentleman was held beneath contempt."

Yet Huck Finn still made it onto the American Library Association's top ten list of books challenged in the 1990's.

There is something going on when, despite our better judgments, a culture maintains a position as empty as the banning of Huck Finn. No one can deny that the dialogue in Huck Finn is anything other than accurate. Historically, yes, some folks some placed used the n-word. Why should modern audiences not be able to handle that hard fact? What is happening here, really, when it is what would have to be acknowledged as the liberal, lefty world is racist?

The fuss over the use of the n-word in literature, specifically Huck Finn comes from a myriad of places. Banning the book because it represents racist point of views from the 19th century seems to suggest, on one hand, that people believe this problem is in the past. That this was a historical problem that existed then, and now if we just don't read about it, we'll be safe. This course of action implies that somehow by banning the book, we've banned the word, and possibly all of racism along with it as well.

Under this surface, folks are, of course, truly upset that the word is not only historical, but also a contemporary blight in public discourse. Though their have been motions to defuse the word through explanation, dialogue, and its reclaiming, the word is still used and meant as an offensive expression of racism. "Nigger" is a loaded word, problematic for virtually everyone it touches, unpronounceable to most people. Putting it out there in the classroom, 215 times, no less, is unarguably problematic. What does the teacher do when asking students to read aloud? How do you start a discussion on racism, acknowledging the invariably varied, yet valid personal experiences, and still maintaining a somewhat academic forum where learning can happen and understanding can grow? These are impossible questions, and no doubt many parents and teachers would feel safer just not asking them.

Those reasons, however, is exactly why the attempts to ban Huck Finn are so disheartening and frustrating. Trying to ban Huck Finn is, by and large, a plan to keep a discussion of racism out of the classroom. It is hard to say whether this is perpetrated by people who truly believe racism ended with separate water fountains, or by people who acknowledge that racism, systematic and individual, still exist, and who know they profit from it's existence. Probably most often it is some of both, fused together with and enveloped in thick layers of fear and shame.

So what does this meta-dialogue on racism being played out in the prohibition of a text of literature have to do with the identity that Huck Finn is acting out inside the logic of the story? Huck Finn, though he senses only the slightest, most distant hint about this himself, has a problem with the n-word. However constantly distracted he might be, Huck's main conflict in the novel is around the nature of goodness, and his private debate over whether he wants to be good and civilized, or bad, and go to hell. More than he hates the clean clothes, books, school, and rules required for being civilized, Huck does not understand the disparity he perceives between what he is told it means to be good, the way he sees "good" people acting, and what his own conscience tells him is right.

And how could he not? Huck, who at times in his troubled childhood had to raise himself, operates on an ever shifting system of very basic human judgment of love and kindness, combined with an almost animalistic Darwinian survival of the fittest instinct. One minute, he knows what his gut tells him is correct, but at the same time Huck wants to do whatever option seems will best help him manoeuvre out of a trouble filled situation, regardless of judgment.

This is acted out repeatedly in the novel's episodic encounters between Huck and townsfolk along the river, but chiefly through Huck's continued internal debate on whether he is right or wrong to help Jim escape to freedom. Too many contradictory relationships exists for Huck at the same time: Jim is good to Huck, so Huck should treat him good back; the Widow tried to be good to Huck, even if Huck didn't like that kind of good; due to Jim's position as property to the widow, and his desire to get free, Huck simply cannot be helping both of them at the same.

More problematic for Huck is the inconsistent he's garnered about what it means to be a slave. Jim was born a slave, and he is of African American descent; to Huck this means Jim has an identity as a slave. This is not, however, simply a fact of his race. Another reason the attempts to ban Huck Finn seem so ridiculous after having read the book is the job Twain does of showing, and not just the life of a slave, such as Harriet Beecher Stowe attempted to document in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Twain goes beyond Stowe, and delves into the identity of "nigger."

On some level, Huck knows that the n-word is used derogatively. He certainly notices the incongruity between what Huck is told he should believe about black people, and his experience with his friend Jim. Jim is constantly said to be acting white, or not behaving at all like a "normal" black person or slave would. Huck eventually comes to the conclusion that he knows Jim "was white inside," (Twain, 264). At the end of the novel, when Jim's brave deeds are revealed by the doctor, it is specified that Jim is a "good nigger," (Twain, 273), that modifier deemed necessary as a qualifier to differentiate from the accepted construction of "nigger." Huck's questioning of the term "nigger," and what it means for Jim to be considered one, and therefore inherently bad, this is the root of his own fundamental identity questions of good and bad.

And what better issue could be brought to the classroom to begin today's discussion of the n-word, performing race, and racism? Huck's identity is undermined and challenged by the presence of the n-word in his life; his grappling with that word leads him to question authority, and act out for an idea of freedom and justice that he barely understands. Huck Finn's presence in the classroom could force students to answer that question for themselves: what does this word do to their identity, what does it force them to confront, what do they believe in? Perhaps after answering those questions, we can begin to get at that word, why no one wants to talk about it, and making sure no one wants to use it.

Sources

Hentoff, Nat. "Expelling Huck Finn." Jewish World Review, Nov. 29, 1999 /20 Kislev, 5760. http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/hentoff112999.asp

Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. New York: Bantam Books, 1984.

Silver Tongues and Straw Hats: Lyra and Huck
Name: Alice Brys
Date: 2006-05-06 16:12:22
Link to this Comment: 19269

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

"What you're most like is marsh fire, that's the place you have in the gyptian scheme; you got witch oil in your soul. Deceptive, that's what you are, child."

Lyra was hurt.

"I en't never decieved anyone! You ask..."

Ma Costa and Lyra, page 100

The Golden Compass

"Set down, my boy, I wouldn't strain myself, if I was you. I reckon you ain't used to lying, it don't seem to come handy; what you want is practice. You do it pretty awkward."

The Doctor, to Huck, page 210

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Lyra Belacqua, the protagonist of Philip Pullman's fantasy trilogy His Dark Materials, liar and runaway child, has her roots in Huck Finn--the character of the child who moves through the world of adults by deception (sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing); the child who is wiser than the rest of the world in many ways, but still stuck in childhood.

One of the easiest comparisons to make between Lyra and Huck is their dishonesty; Lyra's first response to almost anything is to lie about it (in the first book alone she makes up several differnent personas to fit the situations she finds herself in; Alice, whose father is a murderer is the girl she becomes when she wants to avoid unsavory attention from adults (Pullman Compass 88-89); Lizzie is the dim-witted girl she beccomes when captured by the Gobblers (209).) Huck's knee-jerk response also seems to be lying; most of the times he's confronted he invents a child with a sob-story. On the large raft,when confronted by the raftsmen, he makes up several lies in quick succession to try and get out of trouble (Twain 108-109). Both Lyra and Huck are considered uncivilized; Huck was raised on the margins of society by his drunkard father, and Lyra was raised as an orphan by scholars of Jordan College in Oxford (Pullman Compass 30-33). They were both raised by societies that marginalized them, that let them run wild.

At the beginning of The Golden Compass, when living at Oxford, Lyra is quite Tom Sawyer-like in her play; she leads the other children of 'her' college in warfare against neighboring groups (Pullman Compass 31-33), making up complex battle plans which are about as realistic as the raid on the A-rabs (Twain 24-25). But unlike Tom, when Lyra is confronted with the reality of the world, she quickly transforms into a much more Huck-like person, able to deal with reality and not wanting to make everything a game.

I spent some time pondering whether Lyra had a Jim figure in her life; she does attract the attention, help, and love of several adults during her journey (as well as another child, Will, who often ends up playing the more sensible Huck to her Tom moments) but one of them didn't stand out as her Jim. (Iorek Byrnison, the bear, is the closest to a father-figure she has, but he's not actually present for most of her journey. Other characters come and go.) I wondered if the comparison ended here, and then it hit me. Her Jim is actually her daemon, Pantalaimon.

This may require a bit of explaination; in the universe (actually, it's a 'multi-verse', a multiple-universe reality) of His Dark Materials, in Lyra's world, each person's soul is independent of their body. The soul takes on animal form and is called a daemon. Daemons speak to and interact with their humans (and other people's, as well); Pan is Lyra's daemon, and he plays the role of a conscience to her, as well as friend, confidante, and constant companion. (Daemons actually cannot be separated from their humans without horrible pain, and the possibility of death.) Like Jim to Huck, Pan advises Lyra (and she then often doesn't take his advice). In the third book of the trilogy, Lyra finally betrays Pan by abandoning him (but ultimately reconcicles with him, wiser and better for the ordeal); it's something to be compared to Huck and Tom's mistreatment of Jim at the end of Huck Finn. One thing that strikes me is that, if Pan is in fact the Jim figure for Lyra, it casts the Huck and Jim relationship in a very new light: Pan is an inseparable piece of Lyra, her soul. Even if Huck and Jim aren't that close, they do become interdependent and incredibly close while on the raft (they're naked together (Twain 136), accepting each other on a deeper level than clothing or skin color).

Both Huck and Lyra fit into the image of a child on a journey through an adult world; without the power of adulthood (and the power of established place and position) the child is at a constant disadvantage. Specters of adults rise constantly to threaten both Huck and Lyra--Huck's father, Lyra's mother Mrs. Coulter, Huck's slave-holding society which would fault him for helping Jim escape, the forces of the Church which hunt for Lyra in the second and third books of His Dark Materials--and the children have to escape through their wits. (Or through the aid of helpful adults, but ultimately it's down to Huck and Lyra to do it for themselves.)

In His Dark Materials, there's a clear moment where Lyra leaves the world of childhood and enters adulthood. (Unlike Edna St. Vincent Millay's interpretation, Childhood Is The Kingdom Where Nobody Dies (ll. 1-3), Lyra's childhood ends not with death but with love and sacrifice.) In Lyra's world, the daemons of children are able to change shape; once someome reaches adulthood, their daemon settles into only one form. It is when Lyra realizes that she's in love with Will, but sacrifices that love for the good of the universe that her daemon settles on his adult shape (Pullman Spyglass 446-447). If Huck had a daemon, would there be a moment in his journey where he actually reached maturity? Even though he's experienced pain and death in his life, at the beginning of the book Huck is too changeable to have a 'fixed daemon'. By the end, I think he might well have become an adult--again, not because somebody died, nor because he found love, but because he was able to define himself against Tom, and go against Tom in the end (Twain 279-281). It'd also be an interesting undertaking to find out what kind of daemon Huck might have. A daemon's settled form is supposed to tell you what kind of person you are (Pullman Compass 147); Huck's daemon would have to be a wild sort of animal, and a tricky one.

What if Lyra had undertaken Huck's journey? As a girl, in that same environment (in the environment without female characters who actually take action? We have Aunts Polly and Sally, largely acted upon instead of acting; the Widow, whose sole actions of consequence are to talk about selling Jim and to die, and bit players who last for a few chapters at best. Would that world have room for a female Huck? As a girl with few marked differences between herself and the actual Huck Finn (Lyra, raised by college professors, has a sort of patchy general knowledge of academia (Pullman Compass 60)) would she have been able to exist in the same way that Huck did? I'd like to think so -- I'd like to think that with enough cleverness (and enough good lies) a girl would have been able to make that journey as well. Huck was already traveling with someone who shouldn't have been, namely Jim; but Huck acted in social situations that Jim, as a runaway slave, couldn't have. Would the Widow Douglas have let a girl of Huck's age escape being 'sivilized'? She would have been a lot less willing to give a girl the leeway that she gave Huck, and so would other people that Huck came into contact with over the course of his adventure. If Huck had been female (and thus even less sanctioned to act independently than a child is) he might have been unable to succeed because of the society. Lyra succeeds in her own journey perhaps because she's in a world where strong women are more plentiful, but more likely because she has the ability to succeed within herself.

The other question I have to ask about a female Huck Finn/Lyra as Huck is, would a female protagonist have been accepted in the novel? For this answer I look back on the books we studied this semester and the female protagonists we've dealt with: the Governess, Eliza, and Hester. (Moby Dick lacking in any female characters who last for more than twenty pages.) The Governess, as a protangonist, acted only when she was acted upon (even if acted upon by her own insanity) where Huck Finn was, at least occassionally, pro-active; Eliza acted in defense of her son, in defense of the family, where Huck had to act against it, fleeing his father and 'civilization'; Hester, while acting against society, was still acting for family. None of them tried, as Huck did, to escape civilization and social order altogether -- does it suggest that women can't do that? (It's not only Huck in our class reading that does this. Ishmael flees to the ocean, for instance.) And all three of these women were adults. But while Huck encounters trouble galore as a child in the text, outside the text it seems that as a child narrator he's well accepted. If that's true, then couldn't a female version of Huck have been accepted out of the text as well? Right now, after a hundred-odd years, I'd say absolutely yes. Philip Pullman and Lyra Belacqua have proved that a female child can escape her society and journey, via deception, to great success. But in the 1880's, I'm not sure that it would have worked.

Works Cited
Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. W. W. Norton and Company, New York: 1985.
Millay, Edna St. Vincent. "Childhood Is The Kingdom Where Nobody Dies."
Pulllman, Philip. The Golden Compass. Laurel Leaf Books, New York: 1995.
.... The Amber Spyglass. Laurel Leaf Books, New York: 2000.

Performing Friendship in Huck Finn
Name: sky stegal
Date: 2006-05-06 16:14:53
Link to this Comment: 19270

<mytitle> Big Books Home
2006 Fifth Web Report
On Serendip

I don't know much about writing English papers. In fact, I'm pretty terrible at it. I'm tired of reading books and trying to act like a literary critic, which I most certainly am not. What I am is a theater kid – actor, director, technician, writer, designer, you name it and I've done it. So now, in order to stay afloat in the wide river of a big book, I'm going to build a raft and call it performance. Specifically, performance of relationships and roles – how do these characters relate to each other, how do they perform that relationship, and what can I learn from them to help myself? When reading a script for a show, the director, the dramaturg, and the actors must analyze the text to decipher the relationships between characters, and often all we have is their dialogue. Fortunately, in a novel we are given more information. Thoughts, reactions, emotions and descriptions are usually given directly to us, and too often we fail to analyze these signs to make up our own minds about the relationships being performed. In reading Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I was struck by the unusual relationship between Huck and Jim – but who isn't? However, I don't feel comfortable with the commonly-held concept that Jim is a father-figure to Huck. It seems ludicrous to me from Huck's upbringing, temperament, behavior and language to say that he sees Jim as a kind of father. It is clear to me that Huck thinks of Jim as his friend and peer, and if anything else sometimes (and only sometimes, and only when he's lying to himself), as somewhat lower than himself. Jim, on the other hand, thinks of Huck as a son-figure as it were, and sometimes tries pretty unsuccessfully to treat him that way. So what's going on here? Each character has a set of ideas about their relationship, and a set of morals, conscious decisions, unconscious thoughts and instincts that lead their words and actions to a certain performance. In this case, each character also perceives the other's performance as something other than what it was meant to be. How's that again? Let's look at the performances, and the performers themselves, first. In the famous "trash scene" in Chapter 15, after spending a frightening night lost amongst snags and small islands unable to find each other, Jim wakes up to find Huck back safely on the raft and playing a trick on him – Huck pretends he's been there the whole time and puts Jim through mental hoops trying to explain everything, until Jim comes right out and says he knows it's all a lie and a trick and he's not amused. What does this tell us about their relationship? Clearly Huck does not think of Jim as a father-figure; he plays the kind of trick on him that Tom Sawyer would play (and did, in Chapter 2) and talks down to him, saying "I think you're a tangle-headed old fool, Jim." (pg 94) These are the actions of one who feels friendship and superiority, even if only a little bit. Much is made of the line, in page 95, when Huck says "it was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself to a nigger," as support for Huck's racism, but I think it's more important that Huck says only two lines later that "I wouldn't done that one if I'd a knowed it would make him feel that way." Huck realizes what he has done is mean and not funny, and is ashamed to have hurt his friend despite the cultural idea that Jim, being black, is not really a person. When I first read this I felt immediately that Tom would never have felt bad about playing a trick on Jim, even if it did hurt him (and I was right; later on, Tom puts Jim though hell by "rescuing" him and never once considers the other man's comfort or happiness or needs). Huck performs the role of a friend who thinks himself a little superior: he plays tricks, he talks down to Jim and calls him names, but when Jim calls him out on it he repents and is genuinely sorry for the pain he has caused his friend, saying "it made me feel so mean I could almost kissed his foot to get him to take it back." (95) But is Jim playing the friend back? He speaks as from several different roles, calling Huck "honey" and "chile" when he's thrilled to see Huck alive (pg 93), speaking authoritatively a moment later: "Huck Finn, you look me in de eye," (94), then calling Huck "boss" (94), and finally laying it down like a man who knows he is above the insult he has been dealt, "Dat truck dah is trash; en trash is what people is dat puts dirt on de head er dey fren's en makes 'em ashamed." (95) What do Jim's words tell us about his view of Huck? He definitely cares about Huck, since he is so glad to see him again and so willing to believe the crazy lie he tells. He does not really treat Huck as a child here, despite calling him "chile," until he realizes how immature Huck has been, and even then his chastisement is not that of a father but rather that of a friend. Jim performs the role of a friend who is concerned, relieved, confused and finally disappointed; he does not speak to Huck the way he would to his own children, as we see in his story about discovering his daughter's deafness. Huck is, in this scene, performing the role of a friend who feels himself a little superior, perhaps for cultural reasons and perhaps because that is the way his own best friend, Tom Sawyer, treats him. Jim is performing the role of a friend who cares very much but is not willing to be insulted for the amusement of his friend. Huck's understanding of a father-performances comes from his own Pap, who does none of the things Jim does, speaks very differently, and treats Huck as an inflated inferior (calling his education "hifalut'n foolishness" pg 31), so Huck would never perceive Jim's behavior here as father-like. Now, no one who cares for and about his friend wants to be tricked and insulted and made fun of – so how do Jim and Huck resolve this discrepancy in relationship? Huck apologizes to Jim right at the end of the scene, and says to us that he "warn't ever sorry for it afterwards, neither." (95) Their relationship works out because Huck matures a little here; he makes the conscious decision to treat Jim better. This is why, later in the book, he goes through his well-known "crisis of conscience" about turning Jim in; the regular culture he thinks he is supposed to be part of only brings him trouble and pain, whereas Jim's friendship and continued trust bring him joy and survival. Huck remembers "how glad he was when I come back out of the fog...and such-like times" (223) and cannot go through with his plan to do the "right" thing. In a novel, as in a play and as usually happens in real life, a character's actions and decisions are based on his or her previous decisions and the performance pattern that is set up thereby. Huck's and Jim's behavior towards each other is determined in this famous scene, when Jim first broaches the subject of their friendship and partnership, as opposed to the traditional master-slave situation, and when Huck first makes the decision to treat Jim as a human being and a friend, rather than as a slave or as a protector or even just as an inferior mind (the way we may assume Tom would have). This is perhaps why they survive so much – neither one will let the other come to too much harm. Jim lets Huck pretend he is Jim's master so they can get through several scrapes, but Huck certainly never expects Jim to act as his slave. Huck takes Jim's advice and looks to him for plans sometimes, as well, rather than trying to lead the expedition as Tom would have done. It is clear to me that their relationship matures into a deeper and more useful kind of friendship in the end of this scene, and that this sustains them. Ok, so their friend-performances have to match up or at least be compatible for the two of them to survive; how is that useful to me? I am not currently floating down a big river with only one friend in all the world, battling convention and con men and the massive weight of slavery. I am, however, going through college, which is a big enough river for me, and I am consciously performing for and with my friends. Reading the book in this way, as a scene being performed by two characters, has given me a little insight to the way I treat my friends, and speak to them, and more generally perform to them. For example, I had a pretty heated discussion with a friend recently about education, and when I later mentioned to her the "fight" we'd had, she said she did not remember any such thing. Was I performing a fight that she did not consciously participate in? Was I reading into her words and actions an antagonism that she had not meant to be there? I realized that not only had I not picked up on her performance of a friendly discussion, she had not picked up on my performance of a fight – and that what really got dropped in the middle what the fact that the topic meant a lot more to me personally than it did to her. Having made that realization, and remembering that it is Huck's decision and apology that maintain their friendship, I explained the misunderstanding, and why the conversation had been so emotional for me, to my friend and we "made up," as it were. It's a good thing, too, because I realize, also with this book in mind, that I cannot get through college on my own and it is in my best interest to take care of my friendships by keeping an eye on my performances and the ones I encounter, and to make sure they stay compatible. So I frankly do not know if that counts as a "critical question" from the standpoint of literary criticism (which I know nothing about), but it's pretty critical for me to think about and understand. Incidentally, I've decided that that's what book-reading is for, not to give me adventures (I can find those on my own, thank you very much, Mr. Melville) or to convince me of anything (look, Mrs. Stowe, I'm already on your side), but to poke awake the parts of my brain I turn off when I get to comfortable – to make me think about things from someone else's eyes, or to examine my own actions more critically when I find myself criticizing a character, or to simply remind me that things are not always as they seem to me. Quotations and references from Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Norton Critical Edition (3rd) 1999, etc.

From Bondage to Freedom: The Use of Religion and S
Name: Jillian Da
Date: 2006-05-06 16:44:38
Link to this Comment: 19271

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

Religion, as defined by the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, is "the service and worship of God or the supernatural" or "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith". Superstition, on the other hand, is defined as "a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of the causation" or "an irrational abject attitude of mind towards the supernatural, nature or God resulting from such a belief". Both of these concepts are dealt with extensively in Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, but the ways in which they are approached and viewed do not necessarily run parallel to their given definitions. The question, then, is "How are religion and superstition used in Adventures Huckleberry Finn, and how does that use define their meaning?"

Simply put, Twain's use of superstition and religion as opposites in Huckleberry Finn is all about character; creating a character, defining a character, predicting a character's actions, and so on. He approaches this in two ways, the most basic being to set up juxtaposition between opposing character beliefs. From the very beginning of the novel, we see Huck living at odds with the refined Widow Douglas and the devout Miss Watson. The Widow Douglas begins her interaction with Huck by calling him down to supper, and reciting grace over the food, which he comments he can't see the point in (the results, no doubt, of having grown up without religion, as Pap reveals in subsequent chapters). After dinner, she reads him the story of Moses which, according to the footnotes, she is using as a metaphor to preach to Huck about the state of his own life, and the good work she has performed by taking him in (14). Through it all, Huck is either bored or uncomfortable, in either case not understanding the value in what the Widow is telling him. The problem only escalates during his discussion with Miss Watson about Heaven and Hell, when he declares he'd rather not be where she is in the afterlife, particularly if it means being separated from Tom Sawyer (15-16). In these few, short paragraphs, the use of religion makes it abundantly clear just how different Huck is from the more 'sivilized' characters in the novel.

Once the reader understands what Huck isn't, she can then begin to discover what he is, the second of Twain's uses of religion (or, in Huck's case, lack of) and superstition. Where Miss Watson, the Widow Douglas, and (presumably) a fair number of the townspeople (the new judge in town, the people whose children Huck went to school with, Judge Thatcher) were pious, or at least put some stock in the idea of a God and a Heaven, Huck (like Tom, and Jim, and many of his other friends) counts on his cache of folk knowledge, myth, and superstition to guide him. A good deal of this he learns from Jim; for example, when the two of them first encounter each other on Jackson Island, he asks Jim about ill luck omens:

Some young birds come along, flying a yard or two at a time and lighting. Jim said it was a sign it was going to rain...I was going to catch some of them, but Jim wouldn't let me. He said it was death...And Jim said you mustn't count the things you are going to cook for dinner, because that would bring bad luck. The same if you shook the table-cloth after sundown. And he said if a man owned a bee-hive, and that man died, the bees must be told about it before sun-up next morning, or else the bees would all weaken down and quit work and die (56).

Conversely, Huck has his own knowledge of signs, mostly related to death and the dead, which are sprinkled liberally throughout the text. For example, following his first night with Miss Watson and the widow Douglas, Huck retreats to his room, and while sitting there alone in the dark, listening to the nighttime sounds, begins to dwell on some truly superstitious notions. First, he talks about the sound out in the dark, describing how he "heard an owl, away off, whoo-whooing about somebody that was dead, and a whippowill [sic] and a dog crying about somebody that was going to die, and the wind was trying to whisper something to me...I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something...and so can't rest easy in its grave..." (16). Minutes later, he accidentally kills a spider, and immediately breaks into a cold sweat, shaking all over because he knows, without being told, that the incident was a bad omen. "I got up and turned around in my tracks three times and crossed my breast every time; and then I tied up a little lock of my hair with a thread to keep witches away...You do that when you've lost a horse shoe that you've found...but I hadn't ever heard anybody say it was any way to keep off bad luck when you'd killed a spider" (16).

These fears and superstitious thoughts dominate a good portion of Huck's (and Jim's) decision making in the novel, which, if you're a believer in the idea that your actions define you, says a lot about who he is as a person. In that light, he appears dependent, fearful, and somewhat directionless; like those who cling to religion, he needs to believe in something outside of himself as having the power to control their destiny (though unlike the pious masses he encounters on his travels, he believes in struggling against fate rather than accepting it). Also, the tendency for the majority of the omens referenced to have some kind of negative connotation speaks, I feel, to the lack of happy circumstances in the character's life, and as such, his inability to believe that good things may be in store for him. As far as he is concerned, life is about living with and dodging misfortune, not moving from happy time to happy time with a few down periods in between. Case in point: when Huck asks Jim if there are any good omens, Jim replies (and Huck accepts), "Mighty few—and dey ain' no use to a body" (56).

The question, then, is why does Huck feel this way? Simply put, he is someone who believes very strongly in the power of evil in the world, probably a result of his upbringing. It may a result of genuine naïve belief, or it may be a way of coping with all the terrible things that have happened to him in his life. In class, we talked extensively about his misfortunes; his mother's death, living with an abusive alcoholic father, feeling alone and abandoned—all things which would necessitate growing up faster than the average child. Initially, we decided that the fact that he treats life like a game, or one of Tom Sawyer's adventure novels, and seems to think that he himself is invincible, is his way of coming to terms with the things that have happened to him—if they're all part of some fairytale, then he can't be hurt by them. However, I believe that his superstitious nature is also part of that coping device. As we discussed, human beings have a strong need to see patterns, to organize and make sense of things that otherwise wouldn't make sense, and which we wouldn't be able to process. Superstition seems to be Huck's way of making sense of why terrible things continue to happen to him.

All of this same reasoning is often applied to explain why people seek out religion; why the feel they need to believe in something. However, in Huckleberry Finn, this does not appear to be the case. The characters in the book who have religion are depicted as 'sivilized', well adjusted, happy, and without fear. When bad things befall them, they are able to view them as a divine act of God, something that was meant to happen and should be accepted, not feared or mourned as a travesty. This contrast again serves to set Huck apart, to make him part of a very visual (from the reader's perspective) minority, and something of a rebel. By defying conventional religion and religious standards, he is also defying the society he so desperately wants to escape, setting himself up as an individual (however disadvantaged) pursuing his own passions and staking a claim on his future.

Knowing all of this, one must question, then, just what religion and superstition mean in the larger context of the book. Summarily, Twain's point seems to be quite clear: religion is a source of bondage, something to constrict the individual and bring him down out of the realm of possibility. It is representative of everything in the world that Huck desires freedom from; it is the metaphor for the source of his troubles, and the very reason he's constantly on the run. Superstition on the other hand, both the fantastical, magical scope of it, and the imaginative capacity to believe in it, is his Promised Land. It is freedom from constriction, and freedom from all his misfortunes; it is, on a grand scale, exactly the liberation that Huck is in search of, the telltale fireworks of his personal Independence Day.

Twain, Mark. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. New York: W.W. Norton and Co. Inc.,

I Have a Story
Name: Marie Sage
Date: 2006-05-11 09:58:55
Link to this Comment: 19310

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

It was difficult to think of a topic for this paper. With the hope of getting my mind in motion, I decided to sunbathe one particularly hot day, and listen to the sound track from the movie Walk The Line. Finally relaxed, it came to me. My mother, who saw the movie a few weeks ago, avidly encouraged me to rent it and watch it myself. Naturally, in order to convince me, she needed to tell me a bit about it and in telling me this story, she commented on Johnny Cash, the main character. She said, "Growing up, I never liked Johnny Cash- he seemed so bad and rebellious. But after watching the movie, I understand him more- I see now that he really wasn't 'bad' at all! Yes, he had a lot of problems, which made him seem bad, now that I know the circumstances, I understand like I couldn't before." She got me in the end, and I soon went and saw the movie. Though her comment did not affect me much at the time, on this sunny day, her words resurfaced; I began contemplating the movie, which soon led to a consideration of Huck Finn, and finally led me to wonder why people tell stories. I decided that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which contains a number of tales within its covers, and is one itself, draws many parallels with Walk the Line, for they both exemplify the usefulness of telling stories.

Through them, the reader, listener, or viewer, has the
opportunity to truly understand and sympathize with the work's characters. Without a story, one would not have the means to fully comprehend the situations of Huck, Jim, and Johnny. Thus, stories have the power to change judgments through enlightenment and often call for the establishment of a common ground for people otherwise detached.
With a song called "Cocaine Blues" playing in the background, my mind wandered (again) to attitudes towards people with drug problems. At first look, I, and much of society, see only a weak person addicted to drugs- it is their own problem, and one does not usually meet them with much sympathy. It is not until we learn their story, or share a similar one, that we may begin to understand and empathize with the individual. Using Johnny Cash as an example, one finds a man who maintained a rocky, semi-abusive relationship with his father, suffered the painful death of his brother at an early age, and struggled with a marriage and love affair; these events deeply affected his entire life and in many ways shaped his choice to choose drugs and alcohol to help deal with his emotional problems. When one learns these details, judgments often change, for once one sees why a person acts a certain way, they understand and inclined to be much more forgiving. It is this understanding, so crucial in human relationships, that can bridge the gap between people otherwise separated, and there in lies the reason we tell stories.

Though this example may seem off topic, Johnny Cash is an extremely relevant introduction to the utilization of stories in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Similarly, in this manner, Huck, Jim, and Cash are compatible characters, for in order to understand and sympathize with them, one must know their story. Like Cash, Huck appears as an uncontrollable, "bad" boy. However, when one reads about his life's unfortunate circumstances, they better realize and identify with his situation. For instance, writes Huck, "By and by pap got too handy with his hick'ry, and I couldn't stand it. I was all over welts. He got to going away so much, too, and locking me in. Once he locked me in and was gone three days. It was dreadful lonesome...I was scared" (37). Thus, through this piece of Huck's story, one sees the real life, everyday situations that he lived through. Further, now that the reader knows this piece of information, they can better judge his true character, and some may even be able to relate to Huck.

Another instance of the usefulness of stories appears in the stories told by Huck. Though these tales are really "tall tales," they function the same way. For example, when Huck lies to the Grangerford's, he creates a realm of understanding for the family. States Huck,
And I ate and talked... They all asked me questions, and I told them how pap and me and all the family was living on a little farm at the bottom of Arkansaw, and my sister run off...and Bill warn't heard of no more...and Tom and Mort died...me and pap left...and when he died I took what there was left an started up the river...and that was how I came to be here (120). Again, though at first glance Huck appears solely as a lost stranger, and possibly an enemy (a Shepherdson!), once the Grangerfords hear his tale and realize Huck's dire circumstances, they sympathize with him. Furthermore, throughout the novel, Huck's tales, some intentionally and other unintentionally, contain a common feature- they all inspire pity. This pity, however, is the direct result of understanding Huck's, or whoever he pretends to be, situation. Thus, without his tales, no comprehension could exist, and without it lies no hope for help, like in the case of the Grangerfords, Mrs. Judith Loftus, and Aunt Sally.

Through Jim, one views another facet to the usefulness of stories. States Huck, "He was setting there with his head down...moaning and mourning. He was thinking about his wife and children, away up yonder, and he was low and homesick; because he hadn't never been away from home before in his life" (170). Here, through this story, one can see the pain that Jim feels for his family and from this, one garners a stronger appreciation for Jim's situation. Moreover, from it the reader can speculate the reasons Jim stays with Huck; Huck, as a child, may remind him of his own children or through Huck, Jim may find freedom and be able to free and reunite with his beloved wife and children. Again however, this story, told by Huck, allows an outsider to glimpse inside, and from that glimpse, one finds understanding and sympathy. Further, it creates a common ground between any
reader who has ever missed their family or children and can relate with Jim's sadness.
Until now, I focused on the positive effects of stories, but there can also be negatives consequences. Sometimes the understanding created through stories presents the person in a damaging light, and the effects are not sympathy, but rather anger, distrust, and dislike. Still, knowing the story, and recognizing, within oneself, similar circumstances to the story, helps bring understanding. However, what one does with that understanding is unique to the individual. Still, sometimes stories do not tell the whole story. This is potentially problematic, for it does not present an accurate and complete portrayal of the person. Yet, in any situation, there is always more to learn and thus, recognition of the story as part of a larger story helps correct this problem.

Thus, throughout The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Huck and Jim have the chance to relay their stories, and in discovering their stories, one also discovers the usefulness of the novel. Who Huck and Jim appear to be, and who they actually are, are separate notions, and through their stories, one gains a sounder knowledge and a more sympathetic understanding. Further, Huck's utilization of "tall tales", though false, function accordingly. Hence, as illustrated throughout Huck Finn, and Walk the Line, stories provide an avenue for a man to walk a mile in another man's shoes.

Cry Tom Cry
Name: Chris Haag
Date: 2006-05-11 14:52:09
Link to this Comment: 19321

<mytitle>

Big Books Home

2006 Fifth Web Report

On Serendip

I am crying for you Tom. I am not crying because I am sad you are dead, or sad that you are gone. I am sad that you can't see the tears you should be crying. I am sad that you can't see that the chains you think you remove are just being replaced with others. Run Tom. It's just not time to try and understand.
Last week, I learned that Charles had died. I had attended Quaker Meeting with him for eight years. We had always been in the same youth group. He was always one of the older ones in the group. As it is natural with any mixed age group, being one of the older kids mean he was part of a group that was better at everything. As is natural with any situation such as this, there is a natural jealousy and admiration of the dominate and more successful individuals. Many times this is aided by a natural desire to overcome the other groups' rejection, but this was not the case with Charles and his friends. While, one or two years are a big difference during elementary and middle schools, Charles was always up for including me and the other younger kids in our group.
Most of the time I want to love you Christ. I want to be able to open my heart to your light and realize through you all happiness is possible. I believe in your commandment to love one another , I believe heaven exists not for the select, but in the hearts of all men . I believe in the Word and that the word is god. I believe that, most of the time. But some times I just want to say fuck off. Right now, I don't feel much like prayin'.
Charles was the liberal intellectual before we even knew what that meant. He was overly nice in a time when it was lame to be nice. He was anti-corporation when we all were demanding to go to MacDonald's. His maturity was far beyond ours, but saying that he couldn't quote lines from the Simpson's as easily as I could, I didn't think as much of him at the time. Thinking back, he probably could, but just choose not to.
Tom, you say the lord han't forgotten you . You say god is everywhere . You say yes mas'r to a man who is the devil . You tell others that the lord will save you, but now you lay beaten and dead. Maybe if you suffer with him, you will also reign. But you won't understand that you throne is in front of you. Take the salvation of Eliza and George. They are together and happy. They had so much faith in their faith, that they knew when to violate it. Their betrayal set them free, but it was because they knew their betrayal was what god wanted of them. Your devotion is your exploitation.
After I went to High School my parents stopped making me go to meeting, and I stopped seeing Charles. I would occasionally see him at concerts, but nothing more than a few passing hellos. When you move on from a person, you stop thinking of them as individuals. You imagine that he is at a party, still hanging out with the people he hung out with when you spent time with them, still laughing at the jokes he laughed at back then. He is your past, and your untaken potential. He will represent your feeling of inadequacy. There is some reason you two didn't make it. We leave our hometowns not just to make it in the big city; we go because we can't face to stick it out back there. There is some reason why you parted, and both of you, deep down inside, are ashamed to confront that point. No matter what happens, there is that feeling that the other knows your running, not because you want to, but because you have to. You say your hellos and look happy, because that way neither of you feel guilty. Neither of you show your regret. Hearing he was going to Cornell was anything out of the ordinary. A lot of smart kids from my community end up going to good schools, and I had always thought he was real smart. I was happy for him less in that it was unexpected, but in the way that it you are pleased when your expectations line up with what you actually happens.
I can't look at you now Jesus. Your face reminds me not of love, but of how much I can hate the ignorance you make me believe. I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I ain't having my doubts. There is just too much now, too much to try and explain. No, I don't go to you for the easy of explanation. I turn to you because I love you and I know you. But now, I look at tears and suffering that provide no salvation. This death won't help anyone. Are souls maybe cleanse of sin because of your death, but that ain't gonna stop people from shooting themselves in the head. There is no order to this chaos, there is no way to justify why some hurt has to be. The whip stings and doesn't make we want to open my arms. I am not running for good from you Jesus, I'll be back soon enough. I just can't stand to be with you right now.
The next time I saw him, it was like seeing a ghost. He was no where near the world I had imagined him in. He wasn't playing soccer with Noah or acting in a play with Hunter. He was willing to show the deep honesty that was piercing to witness. I had heard he was taking time off from school, but a lot of people take time off. At times during college I thought about coming back home for a while to re-center myself and come back to school with a new sense of direction. That wasn't why Charles came home. He had a darkness that was cast over him. His eyes were glazed over like he had looked over the edge and seen the dark hell on the other side. The look on his face was not of a man that was seeking any re-direction, but only some air to breath.
I am not being whipped by no Simon Legree. My wife and children are not being sent to other slave owners to be raped and abused. I don't know that pain, your pain. How do you see your child be ripped from your arms and be content to replace it with the idea of faith. Faith is allowing Simon to Kill you Tom. Your Faith won't end slavery. Your faith is allowing you to live in a world that is horrible. You are taking the Devil as your master as you believe the darkness we live in is light . Stop loving the Darkness tom.
I found out later from my father that Charles had become a Paranoid Schizophrenic. In High School he had been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder. I had not been made aware of this, partly because I did not see him very often, and partly because it was such a common thing. To put your worries in every person with bi-polar, you wouldn't have time for anything else. People can take their medication and appear perfectly normal. Hell, there are enough people with it that it becomes also normal to have it. Anyways, after leaving Durham, he went through a hard transition. I don't know if he got into hard drugs, or just the environmental change was too much for him, but his condition got worse. I don't know if the Schizophrenia had always been there, just looming in the corners of his mind, or if it came out of a hard intense experience. All I know is that when he came home, he was nothing like that boy I had known.
Peter denied you Christ for a reason. You knew he would deny you. He didn't deny you because he hated you, he denied you because he loved you. The only way he could keep loving you was to try and forget this moment. Seeing you suffer on the Cross is too much for anyone to deal with. We have to deny some moments in time so that we can go on believing that the world is a place with so much beauty. Some moments are too horrible, to powerful for us to be able to conquer with an idea like faith. You knew, you understood. That's why you forgave him, and that is why you die alone for us.
I saw him the month before he decided to die. He was out eating with his parents, just like I was with mine. I learned latter that it was odd to see his parents out like this, saying that they had divorced a few years before. As I sat with my parents eating our barbeque sandwiches, talking about what the Duke backcourt needed to go to sure up their defense, I saw that Charles' parents were talking with one another as well. They were laughing about some issues, probably discussing how tough work had been that month, thinking of what might happen once the weather was going to get better. Charles didn't say anything. He sat there eating and staring. He had headphones on, but I don't even know if he was listening to anything. On his end of the table, he existed in a totally different world than the one his parents existed in. I think neither world was really aware of the other, or the ability to interact with one another. I don't think it was out of negligence or lack of trying. I think it had come to a point when it just got to be too hard.
Tom, you never complain about how he treats you. I don't think you even understand your faith. Your faith should be able understanding your escape. God has parted the red sea for you, but you continue to wait for more signs. Quit your sin of negligence toward yourself. It is killing you. It is killing your children. It is killing me. Tom just get up and run.
I was at work when I heard about his death. Before I even looked at the email, I knew what it was about. No subject line with his name in it could be anything positive. I found out later that he had tried a couple times before, and that this time, he went missing on Duke's Campus for a few days. His medication made him very depressed and so sedated that he was completely unable to function in daily life. He need others to help him with basic tasks and normal functioning. While he was a rational thinking person, he was a shell of his previous self. However, when he stopped taking the medicine, the depression lingered, and he no longer was a rational person. He was not mental able to distinguish between life and death, and found the most sense in trying to commit suicide.
Don't try and tell us that this is any different, Jesus. Tom is carrying your cross, taking your lashes. You know he don't deserve that. No man deserves that. You can have the world spit in your face and take it as your baptism. But that's cause you ain't no man. Tom isn't suppose to be you Jesus. Golgotha isn't shaking with his death, the curtain ain't ripped. Please Jesus, tell him he is free. Tell him he can curse your name and cry. That what he needs now Jesus. He needs it, because he loves you.
At the Memorial Service, my father found that Charles had Overdosed on drugs, and died in the midst of trying to burry himself. Ironically, it was a failed attempt at what he had been trying to go for the past four years. People could only remember the past few years of Charles' life. But it wasn't Charles' life they were remembering, it was all of the people who had been hurt along the way, all of the sadness the community had experienced as a result of this horrible disease. People wanted this over, wanted this to not have happened. It also seemed as if the earlier memories of his achievements only made this experience harder. There was no celebration of a person's life at this moment. Only a sad and realized sigh of relief.
Tom, yous a free now. Take Cassy hand and run. Just run. Before you go, cry a little. You gotta cry because God done you wrong. But don't cry cause you hate him, cry cause you love. You will reign someday, you just need to know what reignin' look like.

Name:
Date: 2007-09-28 22:50:32
Link to this Comment: 21962

Very interesting. Thanks for the incite.

Holiday Greeting Cards

| Serendip Forums | About Serendip | Serendip Home |

Send us your comments at Serendip

© by Serendip 1994- - Last Modified: Wednesday, 02-May-2018 11:57:31 CDT